Outdoor burning hazardous to health

Full story: North Adams Transcript

To the town of Williamstown: Please enforce the ordinance for banning all outdoor burning.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Fred

Rensselaer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

What the heck are you talking about? What smoke pollution? What open burning? It's not illegal to have cooking fires and its not illegal to have brush fires with a permit. You want to make that illegal too? Why don't you go back to NYC or wherever it is that you came from. You're an idiot.
shut windows

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Pretty soon people won't even be able to laugh outside anymore. People have a right to do what they want in their own yards. Why don't you complain about the pollution that comes from all the college people each school season. More cars in town more restaurants cooking burning up more gas. More trees getting cut down for paper for the students to use. There are many things I don't like either and all those things are bad for people health. You are a jerk!
HMG

Queensbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 23, 2010
 
I am so glad that someone finally is addressing this problem. I also am upset about the burning in North Adams we can not open our windows and have to live with our homes closed up and can not enjoy the fresh air.

We live to close together to allow any kind of burning. People are starting fires at 10 at night and that is not a coo;king fire it is a nuisance. They are forcing people to shut their windows at night and try to sleep in a room that is 80 degrees or forcing you to use an air conditioner!

The Health Problems this causes are many so STOP THE BURNING IN NORTH ADAMS AS WELL!!!!!!
had been

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 23, 2010
 
The Health Problems this causes are many so STOP THE BURNING IN NORTH ADAMS AS WELL!!!!!!"..........

Sure glad we can still set fires in Adams and Cheshire. People there know about living in the country -- or woods.
Bart

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 23, 2010
 
HMG wrote:
I am so glad that someone finally is addressing this problem. I also am upset about the burning in North Adams we can not open our windows and have to live with our homes closed up and can not enjoy the fresh air.
We live to close together to allow any kind of burning. People are starting fires at 10 at night and that is not a coo;king fire it is a nuisance. They are forcing people to shut their windows at night and try to sleep in a room that is 80 degrees or forcing you to use an air conditioner!
The Health Problems this causes are many so STOP THE BURNING IN NORTH ADAMS AS WELL!!!!!!
Have you actually talked to your neighbor to try and work out a compromise or do you just shut the windows and stew?
blackbird

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 23, 2010
 
I live in north adams. I have an outdoor fireplace that I do use at times, for cooking as well as for enjoying a small fire for warmth in the spring and fall and just for relaxing in front of the fire, just like people do inside their homes in front of a fireplace.
I do not burn huge bonfires, and I do not burn things that stink in my fires, like punky wood or garbage. I also don't have very smoky fires. I burn in a respectful way so it doesn't offend my neighbors (I hope).
however, I do enjoy having my fire now and then. and so do some of my neighbors.
in the winter we all deal with the smell of punky wood from a nearby wood stove that heats a home. I don't complain about it, I just know they aren't trying to stink up the neighborhood, just to heat their home. wood isn't cheap and if you have left over from one year to the next you don't throw it away so it doesn't rot over the summer.
somehow I am surprised at the reactions of some people on here. if you choose to live in close neighborhoods, you will have to endure neighbors. if you don't want to do that, you have the right to move. save up for a down-payment and get your own place away from people. there are conveniences in the city, and to have them you need to understand that there are other people around. and that goes both ways. fires should be small, and monitored, and in appropriate fire-pits, fireplaces, fire-bowls, and put out when you go inside for the night. fuel should be able to burn without a nasty smell of paint, or mold, or other "nasty" smells.
as for people having to keep their windows closed, try a civil discussion with your neighbors to see if you can find a way to coexist. perhaps relocating the fire-pit will solve the problem of which way the smoke tends to blow? or maybe, you will need to resort to other ways to control it. no fire should be burning outdoors all night, and one that is small and properly tended shouldn't make much smoke at all.
neighbors need to be considerate, of the rest of the neighborhood, and if they won't they need to be reminded, sometimes by the authorities, that they have neighbors. beyond that, let's all live and let live.
likes fire

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 23, 2010
 
blackbird wrote:
I live in north adams. I have an outdoor fireplace that I do use at times, for cooking as well as for enjoying a small fire for warmth in the spring and fall and just for relaxing in front of the fire, just like people do inside their homes in front of a fireplace.
I do not burn huge bonfires, and I do not burn things that stink in my fires, like punky wood or garbage. I also don't have very smoky fires. I burn in a respectful way so it doesn't offend my neighbors (I hope).
however, I do enjoy having my fire now and then. and so do some of my neighbors.
in the winter we all deal with the smell of punky wood from a nearby wood stove that heats a home. I don't complain about it, I just know they aren't trying to stink up the neighborhood, just to heat their home. wood isn't cheap and if you have left over from one year to the next you don't throw it away so it doesn't rot over the summer.
somehow I am surprised at the reactions of some people on here. if you choose to live in close neighborhoods, you will have to endure neighbors. if you don't want to do that, you have the right to move. save up for a down-payment and get your own place away from people. there are conveniences in the city, and to have them you need to understand that there are other people around. and that goes both ways. fires should be small, and monitored, and in appropriate fire-pits, fireplaces, fire-bowls, and put out when you go inside for the night. fuel should be able to burn without a nasty smell of paint, or mold, or other "nasty" smells.
as for people having to keep their windows closed, try a civil discussion with your neighbors to see if you can find a way to coexist. perhaps relocating the fire-pit will solve the problem of which way the smoke tends to blow? or maybe, you will need to resort to other ways to control it. no fire should be burning outdoors all night, and one that is small and properly tended shouldn't make much smoke at all.
neighbors need to be considerate, of the rest of the neighborhood, and if they won't they need to be reminded, sometimes by the authorities, that they have neighbors. beyond that, let's all live and let live.
I too feel the same like you in front of a fire. My fire is not around my neighbors window either. I buy my wood to burn so its not smelly junk wood. I cook quiet often over the flames like the smokey taste. Never use my oven in the summer time just cook everything outside. It sad when people do abuse the rules they should be the ones that gets punished. Can't follow the rules can't have a fire. But some neighbors are a nuisances they complain about everything. Those should get sued!
join the fun

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 23, 2010
 
HMG wrote:
I am so glad that someone finally is addressing this problem. I also am upset about the burning in North Adams we can not open our windows and have to live with our homes closed up and can not enjoy the fresh air.
We live to close together to allow any kind of burning. People are starting fires at 10 at night and that is not a coo;king fire it is a nuisance. They are forcing people to shut their windows at night and try to sleep in a room that is 80 degrees or forcing you to use an air conditioner!
The Health Problems this causes are many so STOP THE BURNING IN NORTH ADAMS AS WELL!!!!!!
Maybe you ought to join them on a hot night. We have a pool that we swim in on hot nights and fire going also. It is summer time, glad your not my neighbor! I also use my air conditioner in the bedroom at night time and sometimes all night don't like the heat and no smoke around. Do people burning wood in the winter time bother you when your shoveling the snow outside and smelling the smoke?
Econ101

Williamstown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 23, 2010
 
Does the author know that outdoor burning is ALREADY regulated? You can only burn brush a few months of the year (Jan to May I think) and then ONLY when you get a permit from the forest warden.

At other times of the year the only fires allowed are controlled campfire-style fires for cooking smores and whatnot.

Sounds adequate to me.
blackbird

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 23, 2010
 
likes fire wrote:
<quoted text>I too feel the same like you in front of a fire. My fire is not around my neighbors window either. I buy my wood to burn so its not smelly junk wood. I cook quiet often over the flames like the smokey taste. Never use my oven in the summer time just cook everything outside. It sad when people do abuse the rules they should be the ones that gets punished. Can't follow the rules can't have a fire. But some neighbors are a nuisances they complain about everything. Those should get sued!
although I'm really against the concept of a law suit for something like this, I do think there are neighbors who just want to make problems.
likes fire

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 23, 2010
 
blackbird wrote:
<quoted text>
although I'm really against the concept of a law suit for something like this, I do think there are neighbors who just want to make problems.
I didn't mean it like it sounded but there are neighbors that are really really bad. You could even let some gas out of your butt without them calling the cops. My cousins live next to one. Can't even grill in his own yard in a grill that his father built for smoking meats in. Its beautiful, the workmanship his father put in it. He can't even have a few beers in his yard the neighbors would be watching him out of their windows.
blackbird

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 23, 2010
 
yes, I understand what you mean. frankly, I have more of a problem with the noisy partiers and the big bonfires left to burn after they pass out. can't tell you how many times we've had to be up late at night for the loud music, screaming, drunken parties in the neighborhood. keeps the kids up and everything. and it doesn't even always happen on friday or saturday nights but on nights when most people have to get up for work the next day. guess none of the partiers have jobs.
as for being able to grill, go for it. let them call the police. give them the phone. no law against using a grill in your own yard as long as you are doing it with fire safety in mind.
bushwacker

Fountaintown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 23, 2010
 
cant call the cops their aready on their cell phones on the job burning trash -barking dogs- loud motor-cycles speeding trucks-cars you gave away your rights long ago-take a pill its hope-less
North Adamsite

Holyoke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 26, 2010
 
likes fire wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't mean it like it sounded but there are neighbors that are really really bad. You could even let some gas out of your butt without them calling the cops. My cousins live next to one. Can't even grill in his own yard in a grill that his father built for smoking meats in. Its beautiful, the workmanship his father put in it. He can't even have a few beers in his yard the neighbors would be watching him out of their windows.
The biggest mistake you can make when dealing with these type is to not confront them face to face and if that doesn't work then you need to decide if "other" methods might do the trick.
Something Stinky

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 26, 2010
 
I live on State Street. Evey night someone close by burns garbage. Every year I've called the fire dept to be told there is nothing to be done. What is up with this. They are a paid fire dept. Don't they investigate? I have to close my windows. This garbage smells. It is wrong to burn garbage. Wood is okay. I could live with that. But plastic and who knows what else is wrong. My kids have asthma. This is not okay. Shame on you. What is wrong with this fire dept? The
problem is I don't know who it is, and the fire dept is no help.
Ozwad

Holyoke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 27, 2010
 
Something Stinky wrote:
I live on State Street. Evey night someone close by burns garbage. Every year I've called the fire dept to be told there is nothing to be done. What is up with this. They are a paid fire dept. Don't they investigate? I have to close my windows. This garbage smells. It is wrong to burn garbage. Wood is okay. I could live with that. But plastic and who knows what else is wrong. My kids have asthma. This is not okay. Shame on you. What is wrong with this fire dept? The
problem is I don't know who it is, and the fire dept is no help.
Go to the board of health and report them.I too had a neighbor who burned garbage and we couldn't even open our windows because of it.I called the fire department and they responded.The guy finally died and that was that.

Since: Mar 10

Location: smokefree places

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 27, 2010
 
shut windows wrote:
People have a right to do what they want in their own yards... You are a jerk!
No you don't "have a right to do anything you want" in your own yard.

Since: Mar 10

Location: smokefree places

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 27, 2010
 
Victims of wood smoke, don't be afraid to ASK neighbors to stop burning summer fire pits. Four out of five people will respect your wishes. That stubborn fifth persistent burner will need to answer to the law.

If there are no smoke/odor/firepit laws in your town, boldly stand up pressure town fathers to pass the necessary laws.

I just called the town fire department on a neighbor who persistently burns (illegal in my town) open fires in his yard. Last summer, I politely asked him to stop it, because the smoke blows at my house and forces us indoors. We cannot even use our own deck!

In the future, if he lights more fires, I will have the town attorney file a lawsuit against him. At that point, he is toast...

Since: Mar 10

Location: smokefree places

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 27, 2010
 
Not only is backyard burning hazardous to health, it is dangerous to the neighborhood itself:

Firepit sparked Sylvan Lake blaze
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Firepit+spar...
Thank You so much

Queensbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 28, 2010
 
WhoOwnsTheAir wrote:
Not only is backyard burning hazardous to health, it is dangerous to the neighborhood itself:
Firepit sparked Sylvan Lake blaze
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Firepit+spar...
Thank you so much for telling it like it is. The Fire department in my town has responded 3 times to the same house and they treat the fire department terribly yelling and screaming at them. I would also like to know how much it cost the tax payers every time the fire department go's out on one of these nuisance calls? I live in North Adams

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Williamstown Discussions

Search the Williamstown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Good memories of North Adams (Oct '09) 1 hr Anita Koch 264
Drugs (Jul '13) 3 hr azz clowns from adams 16
Three months into job, BerkshireWorks head Mont... 5 hr the city I hate 17
Concerned parents unite to rejuvenate playground (May '09) 6 hr fallzzie 37
kirby nicols cyr arrested again for drugs 3rd o... (Apr '11) 15 hr Best Of Luck 69
Was the deceased female on Beaver st. a murder ... 17 hr U R A Tard 26
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Fri Anthony 1,133
•••
•••
•••
•••

Williamstown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Williamstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••