First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“everyone THINKS they're Right”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#1 Apr 10, 2010
i remember driving into williamson and having to turn around because the water was raising so fast, it was where duba's is now

i slept in the car for 4 nights waiting on the water to go down so i could get back in, only to find a muddy swamp

been 33 years this week, anyone want to chime in, many on here are probably too young to remember or were not even born
yea i am a tree hugger

Belfry, KY

#2 Apr 10, 2010
my mother & grandmother (may she rest in peace) always told me how they had to walk through the water when it flooded their house, about how it was nothing but mud when they went back.
route 49

Forest Hills, KY

#3 Apr 10, 2010
I wish i was to young to remember it. Lived up rt 49 at the time. The whole comm. was flooded, some people never recovered from that flood.I to slept in a car, then an old camper while we repaired the house to move back into.I will never forget that flood and the dirty dealings that were done afterward with people that were not flooded but recieved special treatment from local/state offices.

“Be the change you want to see ”

Since: Mar 10

Red Jacket and now Meador

#4 Apr 10, 2010
I remember the 77 flood; it had snowed most of Jan., Feb., and March. I won't drive in the snow so I had not been to town in forever. The snow melted and I was going in the morning. It rained hard all night and by morning, it had flooded in Matewan and Williamson. I was not flooded but my heart broke for so many who had lost their homes. Things I remember: A tv in a tree a Sprigg; a large house at Matewan that had washed off it's foundation. People helping others cleaning up mud; washing what clothes that they were able to save; pictures in the newspaper that were so sad.
I had looked foward to my trip to town, I wanted to eat at The Lock, Stock, & Barrell or have pizza at the Walnut room but neither ever opened again.
We often plan on our life going on as usual until something like this happens and we are reminded that nothing is for sure in life - not your plans or worse yet, your home or life.
DannyJohnson

Georgetown, KY

#5 Apr 10, 2010
I have the williamson dailey news of the 77 flood still intach, plus the charleston gazzet and the logan banner. their is alot to be seen in these papers. yes i helped to clean up after the 77 flood and been helping with all the floods since. i remember all the houses off foundation too Wilma and the houses that were just distroyed. alot of people lost everything they had.
60s girl

Williamson, WV

#6 Apr 10, 2010
I remember so well...we lived in Phelps then & Daddy drove us down to Freeburn/Delorme area traveling the mining roads...I remember watching trailers literally floating down the river...cars floating...we were blessed, we weren't flodded...I remember coming to visit my Mamaw in Williamson afterwards...she lived behind the Catholic School and the river came up into her back driveway...I also remember helping at her church and people who were not flodded took advantage of the free items the church was giving out...it was sad that people were so greedy during a time of need...

On another note, I was afraid we were going to have a repeat of the 77 flood this spring...we had some severe snow during winter of 76-77 mixed w/ a lot of rain that spring...we have had similiar weather this winter/spring and it all just gave me the same eerie feeling I had those many years ago.
60s girl

Williamson, WV

#7 Apr 10, 2010
I also remember some places that haven't been around in forever...remember Justice Drive In...where Muncy's is now? Do you remember the image of Jesus on the side of the building that could never be painted over? Do you remember the little feed store-combination-grocery store at the mouth of Forest Hills owned by Mr. Varney? or the junk yard around the curve from there? Do you remember the swinging bridge between Goodman Hollow and Chattaroy and the store beside it owned by Mr. Slater?...Lord...now I'm feeling old ! LOL!
DannyJohnson

Georgetown, KY

#8 Apr 10, 2010
60s girl wrote:
I remember so well...we lived in Phelps then & Daddy drove us down to Freeburn/Delorme area traveling the mining roads...I remember watching trailers literally floating down the river...cars floating...we were blessed, we weren't flodded...I remember coming to visit my Mamaw in Williamson afterwards...she lived behind the Catholic School and the river came up into her back driveway...I also remember helping at her church and people who were not flodded took advantage of the free items the church was giving out...it was sad that people were so greedy during a time of need...
On another note, I was afraid we were going to have a repeat of the 77 flood this spring...we had some severe snow during winter of 76-77 mixed w/ a lot of rain that spring...we have had similiar weather this winter/spring and it all just gave me the same eerie feeling I had those many years ago.
yes i remember the trailers and cars coming down the river too. it was a trailer that took out half of the bridge that grossed into kentucky. you also could hear the propane tanks hiting the bridge and blowing or knocking the heads off them and they would jet back up the run from the presure of the gas. yeah we stood at the mouth of warm hollow and watched the water raise, we would have to keep moving back from the water raising. yes i know about the people coming and getting items from the disaster relief, it happened in matewan too and happens every time there is a disater. they just don t have any respect for the really needy. instead of taking they should be giving.

#9 Apr 10, 2010
DannyJohnson wrote:
I have the williamson dailey news of the 77 flood still intach, plus the charleston gazzet and the logan banner. their is alot to be seen in these papers. yes i helped to clean up after the 77 flood and been helping with all the floods since. i remember all the houses off foundation too Wilma and the houses that were just distroyed. alot of people lost everything they had.
Hi Danny, I went to school at Matewan, with a boy named Danny Johnson - any connection?

#10 Apr 10, 2010
60s girl wrote:
I also remember some places that haven't been around in forever...remember Justice Drive In...where Muncy's is now? Do you remember the image of Jesus on the side of the building that could never be painted over? Do you remember the little feed store-combination-grocery store at the mouth of Forest Hills owned by Mr. Varney? or the junk yard around the curve from there? Do you remember the swinging bridge between Goodman Hollow and Chattaroy and the store beside it owned by Mr. Slater?...Lord...now I'm feeling old ! LOL!
Oh yes! I remember go on a date to the movies at the Cinderella and stopping at Justice Drive-Inn for a hot dog. I don't have the memory of Mr. Varney, but I remember Mr. Akers at our little store at North Matewan. He was very kind and had beautiful white hair, he always wore a white apron. I remember him working the newspaper word jumbles so fast and the puzzle too. I went home and tried it - it was very difficult. I didn't quit until I could work them too.
It's amazing what a positive role model, many of these people were. Yes 60's girl we both are telling our age.

“wva wolfman runs wild again”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#11 Apr 11, 2010
i was in grundy va at the time of the 77 flood and it was just as bad there, my dad was here, my dad worked for magic mart he was stuck up on the roof for days with some other employees, i was so worried about him and the rest of the family in williamson, the school i was in was a private school in va we were safe. we were up on a hill we had no power for weeks after the flood

“wva wolfman runs wild again”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#12 Apr 11, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
I remember the 77 flood; it had snowed most of Jan., Feb., and March. I won't drive in the snow so I had not been to town in forever. The snow melted and I was going in the morning. It rained hard all night and by morning, it had flooded in Matewan and Williamson. I was not flooded but my heart broke for so many who had lost their homes. Things I remember: A tv in a tree a Sprigg; a large house at Matewan that had washed off it's foundation. People helping others cleaning up mud; washing what clothes that they were able to save; pictures in the newspaper that were so sad.
I had looked foward to my trip to town, I wanted to eat at The Lock, Stock, & Barrell or have pizza at the Walnut room but neither ever opened again.
We often plan on our life going on as usual until something like this happens and we are reminded that nothing is for sure in life - not your plans or worse yet, your home or life.
well said wilma

#13 Apr 11, 2010
wva wolfman wrote:
<quoted text>well said wilma
I seldom stay on here much, but that's all I've done lately.
I enjoyed hearing your story - it's the first time I remember hearing about people on the roof at the store.
matewan voter

Cynthiana, KY

#14 Apr 11, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Danny, I went to school at Matewan, with a boy named Danny Johnson - any connection?
same one wilma, how you doing. i am on blakeberry,ky now, been over here about 18 years. i really don t like it over here would rather be back around matewan.
danny johnson

Cynthiana, KY

#15 Apr 11, 2010
wva wolfman wrote:
i was in grundy va at the time of the 77 flood and it was just as bad there, my dad was here, my dad worked for magic mart he was stuck up on the roof for days with some other employees, i was so worried about him and the rest of the family in williamson, the school i was in was a private school in va we were safe. we were up on a hill we had no power for weeks after the flood
yeah i got a picture of them standing on the roof in the williamson dailey news fron the 77 flood.
Danny Johnson

United States

#16 Apr 11, 2010
matewan voter wrote:
<quoted text> same one wilma, how you doing. i am on blakeberry,ky now, been over here about 18 years. i really don t like it over here would rather be back around matewan.
i would surely like to know who is answering my post for me. to start I DON T VOTE IN MATEWAN I VOTE IN KENTUCKY NOW. but yes i remember Wilma Hamilton who lived in hatfield bottom, and we went to school together. i do live on blackberry, but i have only been here for 16 years. i do like it on blackberry, i am only about 10 minutes from matewan and i am over there everyday. anyway how you doing Wilma i hope your doing good, for me i am ok but have my back problems. i haven t seen you in a while. well gotta go i just took my pain meds and i am a little drowsy.

#17 Apr 11, 2010
matewan voter wrote:
<quoted text> same one wilma, how you doing. i am on blakeberry,ky now, been over here about 18 years. i really don t like it over here would rather be back around matewan.
Hello Matewan Voter,
I married Terry that I dated my senior year, we have been married almost 40 years now and live at Meador.
It was good to hear from you!
Danny Johnson

United States

#18 Apr 11, 2010
wilmaleesteele wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Matewan Voter,
I married Terry that I dated my senior year, we have been married almost 40 years now and live at Meador.
It was good to hear from you!
Hi Wilma, I am not the Matewan voter, i have no idea who this is. I use my name when i get on this thing. But i really am glad to hear from you. i do hope you are doing good. It s great to see you ve been with terry for so long. i hope you all the best.

Since: Dec 08

Prestonsburg, KY

#19 Apr 11, 2010
i was 5 when it hit, then, i lived where dr. shafers office, my parents and i was driving, they didnt think it would actually come over, then, bam, here it came, we had to rush up to my great aunts on reservtion hill (aka elm street) aftr that been terrified of floods, but, extremely fascinated, does anyone know of any footage of the 77 flood? ive tried youtube and evryting, but no luck
Danny Johnson

United States

#20 Apr 11, 2010
animal hall wrote:
i was 5 when it hit, then, i lived where dr. shafers office, my parents and i was driving, they didnt think it would actually come over, then, bam, here it came, we had to rush up to my great aunts on reservtion hill (aka elm street) aftr that been terrified of floods, but, extremely fascinated, does anyone know of any footage of the 77 flood? ive tried youtube and evryting, but no luck
according to the williamson daily news of 77, the river crest at 53'3". the worst in history,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Williamson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2 men charged with incest (Apr '10) 16 min Kandi Kane 178
Taxes In Williamson 4 hr Bump 14
Jessica Gannon, Felicia Pennington and Albert C... (May '10) 6 hr oh snap 63
Williamson PD adds two new policemen 15 hr Mingo countion 25
WVA State Police Are Beating People 18 hr HEE HEE HEE 37
Suboxone Strips - Cheapest Pharmacy to get them? (Feb '11) Fri antonfuq35 166
How is Kieth Looney still in business Thu conserned friend 7
Williamson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web