Diocese confirms St. Paul High football program under investigation

Text of e-mail letter sent by Kate Aceves, St. Paul High School principal, to football parents: Dear Parents: I am writing to advise you that yesterday, I placed our varsity football coaching staff on leave pending an investigation into a hazing incident which allegedly occurred on Saturday, August 14 in the St. Full Story
Educated Angeleno

United States

#108 Aug 24, 2010
hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
No honey, I'm not. Just sick of the pussification of America. Good luck to us when we get attacked by a country that sees our panzy ways.
I did not know Glenn Beck read this newspaper.
relax

Riverside, CA

#109 Aug 24, 2010
Kids get into fights in every high school in AMERICA, those fights are worse than what happened in that locker room that day. So should we have those fights all over the news. All this talk of hazing is flat out stupid, no I do not agree with the actions of some of these players. The day you could stop kids from fighting in schools is the day you will stop these initiations. I for one will not hold my breath on that one. If a kid needs to be suspended as you would for fighting, then do that. A teacher does not get in trouble or suspended when a kid fights in the class room, the kid does, so why would a coach.
hmm

Whittier, CA

#110 Aug 24, 2010
Former Student wrote:
<quoted text> You went to a public high school? So what makes you a expert on what happens at St. Paul? Im so sorry you couldnt make inti St. Paul, was it the grades are you a discipline problem? We were known as the kids that screw up and our RICH parents would get us out of trouble? HA HA HA another bitter Catholic School hater! 99% of our students are from middle class families who make sacrifices to send their kids to Catholic schools.Look at St Paul student parking lot and see the types of cars then go to the nearest public school and notice how many nicer cars are there. Majority of families send their kids so that they can here and learn about religion everyday and get more discipline in a classroom setting. Kids who go to Catholic school are just like any other kid, not perfect and we dont try to be. We make mistakes and do wrong, but just hearing about God everyday gives most of us a consciuos when we do make the wrong choices. Most parents at home try to continue what the school teaches us to help us make the right choices, but we are still teenagers who do whatever everyone else does. Im sure you knew all our coaches when you were cheering for pop warner...hm how did you find the time to notice... werent you supposed to be practicing? All schools try to get the best even public schools.Wow something Happens at St. Paul and all the HATERS come out, really really sad.
I would NEVER send my kid to a school run by organized religion of any kind under any circumstance. Just my two cents.
annonymus

Arlington, TX

#111 Aug 24, 2010
Former Student wrote:
<quoted text> You went to a public high school? So what makes you a expert on what happens at St. Paul? Im so sorry you couldnt make inti St. Paul, was it the grades are you a discipline problem? We were known as the kids that screw up and our RICH parents would get us out of trouble? HA HA HA another bitter Catholic School hater! 99% of our students are from middle class families who make sacrifices to send their kids to Catholic schools.Look at St Paul student parking lot and see the types of cars then go to the nearest public school and notice how many nicer cars are there. Majority of families send their kids so that they can here and learn about religion everyday and get more discipline in a classroom setting. Kids who go to Catholic school are just like any other kid, not perfect and we dont try to be. We make mistakes and do wrong, but just hearing about God everyday gives most of us a consciuos when we do make the wrong choices. Most parents at home try to continue what the school teaches us to help us make the right choices, but we are still teenagers who do whatever everyone else does. Im sure you knew all our coaches when you were cheering for pop warner...hm how did you find the time to notice... werent you supposed to be practicing? All schools try to get the best even public schools.Wow something Happens at St. Paul and all the HATERS come out, really really sad.
Just an FYI I had the grades to go to St.Paul but made a choice not to because I did not want to be labeled like all the girls who went to St. Paul were, you go to any High School around and all the guys will tell you most the girls from St. Paul were known as TRA*PS, it's funny to hear you say that most the parents would try to continue religion at home, I knew a dozen girls that lived up in Spy Glass and attending St. Paul so you say this is a middle class schoool yeah right. The way I knew who the coaches were is because they tried recruiting my brother to go and my parents were wise enough to turn them down. If you wanted to get a real education and really learn about religion then your parents should have sent you to Mater Dei at least they won championships and their players didn't suffer hazing attacks by the homos on the football team.
Reality Check

Whittier, CA

#112 Aug 24, 2010
Once upon a time ,this place we called SPHS and the 'family' had a place in society. Better than public school, but within financial each of our blue collar parents. Even then (25yrs ago) quality of education was suspect at best.(from a straight A student to barely making at Div 1 university, hardly prepared for the real world.)
What we did have was a brotherhood. If that is to be taken away, no place remains for this facility.

Any Alums going into it with open eyes will not send their kids here, provided they have a better choice. Trust me, I wanted to send mine there, until several visits in the past 2 years lead me to the sad conclusion that what once was is no more. It was hard to put a finger on the exact issue, but the feeling that something was wrong hung in the air.

If you've not been there in person for over 15 yrs, better to keep your fond memories than find out real state of affairs. What happened in the 70's and 80's is no longer relevant to the situation.

Best of luck to the current SPHS family. May the ghosts of Swordsmen past help you find the way. Sadly this generation of students is lost to the Family, hopefully the next will have a place.
SP Alum

Downey, CA

#113 Aug 24, 2010
mom wrote:
<quoted text>Try working in a public school in ORANGE COUNTY same stuff happens but over there parents have the money to get there kids out of trouble.You sound like a very prejudice unhappy person, and Please... educated people are everywhere but you ignorant people can stay away with each other!!!! As far as what you said about the incidant in 1992 what a horrible lie, its even to stupid to have anyone believe. GOD BLESS YOU!
to Mom....that incident in 92 is not a lie. It's a fact that was swept under the rug. If you choose not to believe it, then you're just lying to yourself.
CHIEFS95

Los Angeles, CA

#114 Aug 24, 2010
mom wrote:
<quoted text>Try working in a public school in ORANGE COUNTY same stuff happens but over there parents have the money to get there kids out of trouble.You sound like a very prejudice unhappy person, and Please... educated people are everywhere but you ignorant people can stay away with each other!!!! As far as what you said about the incidant in 1992 what a horrible lie, its even to stupid to have anyone believe. GOD BLESS YOU!
1992 incident did happend, and the players involved did get kicked out. 1 of them ended up at santa fe class of 95
Former Student

Whittier, CA

#115 Aug 25, 2010
annonymus wrote:
<quoted text>
Just an FYI I had the grades to go to St.Paul but made a choice not to because I did not want to be labeled like all the girls who went to St. Paul were, you go to any High School around and all the guys will tell you most the girls from St. Paul were known as TRA*PS, it's funny to hear you say that most the parents would try to continue religion at home, I knew a dozen girls that lived up in Spy Glass and attending St. Paul so you say this is a middle class schoool yeah right. The way I knew who the coaches were is because they tried recruiting my brother to go and my parents were wise enough to turn them down. If you wanted to get a real education and really learn about religion then your parents should have sent you to Mater Dei at least they won championships and their players didn't suffer hazing attacks by the homos on the football team.
Vrty very ignorant comment that girls from St. Paul are tramps.....you need to stop hating, to say private school girls are all tramps is so immature. The school doesnt make a tramp but low self esteem and not enough love and sadly thats everywhere. So you didnt want to go to St. Paul get over it you need to grow up and let your hate for st.paul go!
Former Student

Whittier, CA

#116 Aug 25, 2010
CHIEFS95 wrote:
<quoted text>
1992 incident did happend, and the players involved did get kicked out. 1 of them ended up at santa fe class of 95
Thats good, and is believable justice was done. The original blogger said nothing was done to the football players but a slap on the hand, thats what I was disputing.
SPHS alumni and parent

Whittier, CA

#117 Aug 25, 2010
Reality Check wrote:
Once upon a time ,this place we called SPHS and the 'family' had a place in society. Better than public school, but within financial each of our blue collar parents. Even then (25yrs ago) quality of education was suspect at best.(from a straight A student to barely making at Div 1 university, hardly prepared for the real world.)
What we did have was a brotherhood. If that is to be taken away, no place remains for this facility.
Any Alums going into it with open eyes will not send their kids here, provided they have a better choice. Trust me, I wanted to send mine there, until several visits in the past 2 years lead me to the sad conclusion that what once was is no more. It was hard to put a finger on the exact issue, but the feeling that something was wrong hung in the air.
If you've not been there in person for over 15 yrs, better to keep your fond memories than find out real state of affairs. What happened in the 70's and 80's is no longer relevant to the situation.
Best of luck to the current SPHS family. May the ghosts of Swordsmen past help you find the way. Sadly this generation of students is lost to the Family, hopefully the next will have a place.
I feel really sad you feel that way because I to was a 81 alumni and of course nothing will stay the same from the 70's and 80's. I work at a Public school in the area and even the boosters say the same of their school. I have had 3 of my kids graduate from SPHS one in 1999,2003 and 2007, and the two older are college grads and the third still at Loyola Marymount. The boys all played football and I was very involved. I noticed some kids being forced to go there but they usually dont last all 4 years and are normally the rebels. The office staff are wonderful, caring people, they have wonderful teachers and there is still a big family closeness.My kids have made life time friends from SPHS and still all get together for all our family events. Everything changes, SPHS is not made up of all anglo kids like it use to be in my time but thats okey because diversity teaches our kids how to get along with everyone. The strict dress code is still in effect, yes our school is older but the technology is staying wth the rest of the schools around. My mom always told relatives that just because her kids are in private school doesnt make the better than any other kids. They do the same things public school kids do because they are all just kids, but hearing and learning about religion everyday will hopefully leave my kids with much more of a conscience when making a wrong choice. St Paul still teaches morals and values and as long as they are in school the discipline is still there, once they leave its up to the parents. I guess maybe you didnt spend enough time or give SPHS a chance, but believe me, its still a school that becomes your family while your kids are there and after. Change has to happen and as a parent who wanted my kids to succeed, they did at SPHS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just wanted let you and others that yes it has changed from when we went there, but not in a negative way just in a more diverse way. Once a Swordsman always a Swordsman, God Bless!
annonymus

Arlington, TX

#118 Aug 26, 2010
Former Student wrote:
<quoted text>Vrty very ignorant comment that girls from St. Paul are tramps.....you need to stop hating, to say private school girls are all tramps is so immature. The school doesnt make a tramp but low self esteem and not enough love and sadly thats everywhere. So you didnt want to go to St. Paul get over it you need to grow up and let your hate for st.paul go!
Did I hit a nerve? You need to face the grim reality of your former school, and ask any of the boys from other local High Schools about girls at St. Paul and they will all say the same things, they are the easiest girls to get into bed.
annonymus

Arlington, TX

#119 Aug 26, 2010
The sad thing is ask any former male St. Paul student they will also say the same things about the girls at St. Paul.
Concerned Alum

Whittier, CA

#120 Aug 26, 2010
Yes, this is a sad situation in need of a lot of thought and self reflection. Anchich is no saint, but not the devil either. Still, there has always been alot of smoke surrounding his tenures at SP.

But what bothers me more is this. What is the status regarding the former principal Lori Barr. The archdiocese seems willing to go public of a football coach accused of hazing, but not a principal with rumors of embezzling? Where is the honesty? Has the priest scandal taught us nothing?

And what about the media? Don't they investigate anymore?
Misinformation

Brea, CA

#121 Aug 26, 2010
Concerned Alum wrote:
Yes, this is a sad situation in need of a lot of thought and self reflection. Anchich is no saint, but not the devil either. Still, there has always been alot of smoke surrounding his tenures at SP.
But what bothers me more is this. What is the status regarding the former principal Lori Barr. The archdiocese seems willing to go public of a football coach accused of hazing, but not a principal with rumors of embezzling? Where is the honesty? Has the priest scandal taught us nothing?
And what about the media? Don't they investigate anymore?
Trust me when I say this: There was mismanagement of the little money St. Paul has (because apparently people in that wonderful circle of heaven in Santa Fe Springs don't think they need to pay tuition) but there was no personal monetary gain for anyone. Thats why the punishment was what it was. Why do you think you people ended up with a 90 year old coach? Because Glenn Pop Warner was taken? No because there was no money to hire a living coach. Plain and simple. And trust me when I say this, the money mismanagement at St. Paul occurred well before Ms. Barr took over. She just couldn't fix the mismanagement. But again, there was no personal gain. Most of the money went back to the school in the way of facility improvements and things like that that did not get the proper diocesean approval. Rumors at St. Paul are what they are, you people need them to live and breath. You people are pathetic....
SPHS alumni and parent

Whittier, CA

#122 Aug 27, 2010
annonymus wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I hit a nerve? You need to face the grim reality of your former school, and ask any of the boys from other local High Schools about girls at St. Paul and they will all say the same things, they are the easiest girls to get into bed.
Hit a nerve....nope, but to put all private school girls into one category is very immature and a very ignorant comment, not even worth commenting anymore!
SPHS alumni and parent

Whittier, CA

#123 Aug 27, 2010
Misinformation wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me when I say this: There was mismanagement of the little money St. Paul has (because apparently people in that wonderful circle of heaven in Santa Fe Springs don't think they need to pay tuition) but there was no personal monetary gain for anyone. Thats why the punishment was what it was. Why do you think you people ended up with a 90 year old coach? Because Glenn Pop Warner was taken? No because there was no money to hire a living coach. Plain and simple. And trust me when I say this, the money mismanagement at St. Paul occurred well before Ms. Barr took over. She just couldn't fix the mismanagement. But again, there was no personal gain. Most of the money went back to the school in the way of facility improvements and things like that that did not get the proper diocesean approval. Rumors at St. Paul are what they are, you people need them to live and breath. You people are pathetic....
Excuse me, but not a rumor fact, and your still not adressing the fact yes fact that she was escorted out the building and both of her computers were confiscated. Mismanagement........she was managing everything "FACT" not rumor and as far as a 90 yr old coach well im glad schools like SPHS and Santa Fe are lucky to have a wise experianced coach still on there campus. As for coach A working for "free" you really are a funnnnny, thats not even worth a comment. Once again were you involved with Barr, infatuated with Barr, or a ralative of Barr? You certainly are not involved with SPHS because your comments are so off its not even worth getting upset over! Get over you hate for SPHS, dont send your kids there, dont look at the school if it upsets you when you drive by, dont read article about SPHS and maybe you can be happy person!
Bring Back Lori

United States

#124 Aug 27, 2010
Wow. I will pray for you and your kind to stop spreading gossip and lies. You do not know any of the truth, just what you and the other ladies gossip in the parking lot. Lori tried to save St. Paul but she walked into a lions den and was eaten alive.

Good luck to the new Principal. With this crop of gossipy St. Paul parents (like you) to deal with, the Principal better watch her back before she gets stabbed in the back.
SPHS alumni and parent wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me, but not a rumor fact, and your still not adressing the fact yes fact that she was escorted out the building and both of her computers were confiscated. Mismanagement........she was managing everything "FACT" not rumor and as far as a 90 yr old coach well im glad schools like SPHS and Santa Fe are lucky to have a wise experianced coach still on there campus. As for coach A working for "free" you really are a funnnnny, thats not even worth a comment. Once again were you involved with Barr, infatuated with Barr, or a ralative of Barr? You certainly are not involved with SPHS because your comments are so off its not even worth getting upset over! Get over you hate for SPHS, dont send your kids there, dont look at the school if it upsets you when you drive by, dont read article about SPHS and maybe you can be happy person!
SPHS alumni and parent

Whittier, CA

#125 Aug 27, 2010
Bring Back Lori wrote:
Wow. I will pray for you and your kind to stop spreading gossip and lies. You do not know any of the truth, just what you and the other ladies gossip in the parking lot. Lori tried to save St. Paul but she walked into a lions den and was eaten alive.
Good luck to the new Principal. With this crop of gossipy St. Paul parents (like you) to deal with, the Principal better watch her back before she gets stabbed in the back.
<quoted text>
Im closer to it then you think and no I do not sit in any parking lot and gossip im working! now please one more time explain Barr being escorted out in the middle of the day and computers confiscated never to see her again one week before graduation. oh and by the way was witnessed by many people! Gossip you got to be kidding! so why isnt she back at the school, she was soooo wonderful why isnt she back at the school? Why miss graduation? A high does not fire a teacher right on the spot and escort them out of the building unless some serious issues were found, they keep them till the end of the year then let her go, not a week before graduation and not escorted out! We all love our new principal she gets to know the kids has an open door policy(which Barr didnt), visits classrooms and shows up to functions smiling and getting to know all new parents. One more time why didnt she finishing out the school year? Also please give Barr some credit she was a tough cookie and not even lions in a lions den could scare or intimidate her, shows how much you really know her!!!!!!
Oustide Looking In

United States

#126 Aug 27, 2010
It's amazing how one school can garner so many comments. There are other articles in this paper about other local teams/schools/sports, but NONE get the kind of attention this school does. I'm an optimist who sees the glass half full. So all you supporters and alumni who come here supporting your school, GOOD FOR YOU! It's absolutely pathetic when alumni come on here with their opinion and talk bad about how it is now. Is this country today what is was 100 years ago? Absolutely not. Does the entire Democrat party agree with all of Obamas actions? Of course not. The question to you is- what are you going to do about it? Are you going to help matters or make them worse? Why don't you disappointed alumni become part of that family you once belonged to. I'm not alumni and my kids don't attend there. Just as my name says, I'm on the "Outside Looking In."
This school, whether or not it is now or not what it once-upon-a-time was, must be a special place. Whether you like to admit it or not, for it to have so many detractors and "haters" come out from under their rocks to take the time to read the article and then comment on it negatively and then have supporters come out to defend what they KNOW it is currently like based on current exoerince in a positive manner speaks volumes. If you've NEVER had a child attend this school or you know someone who did but was a mischievous child to begin with, you can't blame the school for that! That's just ridiculous! If you do blame the school for that then every damn school is horrible because EVERY SCHOOL has those! I don't believe I've ever heard anyone say, "All those kids at St. Paul are angels."
Kudos to you current and past parents/alumni/families who come out to support the school.
When life shakes you up real good, you have a tendency to see things from a different perspective. Don't blame others for your shortcomings or lack of desire to promote or embrace change.
annonymus

Arlington, TX

#127 Aug 27, 2010
haha, it's funny that all of you SP alumni defended the football coaches saying the hazing did not happen, you all just got a slap in the face, the principal has confirmed in their investigation that yes it did happen, the coaches were aware of it and the players and coaches will be subjected to disciplinary action. Maybe all you alumni should not make your comments about things that will make you look ignorant in the end.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whittier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 26 min Trojan 27,922
Revised EIR on Montebello Hills Proposal Still ... 1 hr Trash Talk 52
were his all the og sgv taggers at (Dec '07) 9 hr da nonactive chav... 967
LMP gang celebrates 31 years (Jun '08) 9 hr La Mirada 1,747
That old bigot Ogden (Dec '13) 10 hr BurntNose 5
Lawsuits allege OneWest bank can profit from fo... (Feb '10) 17 hr hubertfields00 16
SF gay pride event celebrates 40th anniversary (Jun '10) 18 hr DrRuth 113

Whittier News Video

Whittier Dating
Find my Match

Whittier Jobs

Whittier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Whittier News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Whittier

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]