Bullied boy's parents say West Islip school responsible

Full story: Newsday

Patrick Kohlmann was scared. For more than a year at Udall Road Middle School in West Islip , the soft-spoken 13-year-old had been taunted and shoved, chased through the halls and slammed into lockers.
Comments
1 - 20 of 131 Comments Last updated Mar 31, 2011
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jack

East Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Death Race wrote:
Sure, blame the school because the kid is a wimp. Mollycoddle him for the rest of his life and make the world look out for him.
Whatever happened to fighting back and standing up for yourself. Instead of hitting back and showing others he does have balls he takes a whole month to make a slideshow. It’s faster and easier to punch the other kids and put a stop to it.
This kid likes the drama club, sings “Lion King” songs and is in a “Cinderella” play. Sounds like he’s quite the prissy fruitcake. He might want to try playing football or baseball to toughen him up just a bit.
You are a jerk!
Your kidding

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Death Race wrote:
Sure, blame the school because the kid is a wimp. Mollycoddle him for the rest of his life and make the world look out for him.
Whatever happened to fighting back and standing up for yourself. Instead of hitting back and showing others he does have balls he takes a whole month to make a slideshow. It’s faster and easier to punch the other kids and put a stop to it.
This kid likes the drama club, sings “Lion King” songs and is in a “Cinderella” play. Sounds like he’s quite the prissy fruitcake. He might want to try playing football or baseball to toughen him up just a bit.
You must be the parent of these bullies. Not every kid has the guts to stand up to bullies, it's the fear of the unknown. I have one son who would beat the snot out of anyone who tries to bully him and I have another son who is afraid if he hits the bullies back they will kill him (he really believes this). I have tried to teach him to punch the bullies one time right in they eye and that will stop them in their tracks but he is too afraid.

My older son used to get tripped as he was walking down the isle of his class, the bully would laugh and say are you gonna do something about it. Well... one day the bully tripped him and stood up and said the standard line "are you gonna do something about it" my son grabbed him by the neck and slammed him down on the floor continued to choke while screaming at him "this is what I'm gonna do, you want to fuck with me now?" My son got suspended for his aggressive behavior, I looked at it as a vacation for doing the right thing. HE HAS NEVER BEEN BULLIED AGAIN! The kids joke and say "don't mess with him, he's crazy you never know what he'll do." Now if I could only get the other one to do the same thing.

“There's Only One ME!”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Death Race wrote:
I see we got an early start today. LOL. While I don't agree with all you said, bullying in school is a real problem nowadays. I know what my kids tell me. Personally, the only way for it to stop is to fight back. Once the bully knows the fear no longer is there, the challenge is over. I agree with the other poster, teach your kids to beat the snot out of them and they will stop! It is very empowering when a kid stands up for himself. Courage of Conviction!!
dick hertz

South Amboy, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

It's easier to fight back if it's one on one, but if we're talking about a whole group of kids going after one, who's the real coward?
Been there done that

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

"West Islip school district spokeswoman Nancy Lenz said yesterday the video will be shown to the faculty in the fall." Sure wait for the Fall, ignore the summer heat that will rile the bullies.
Mom, take your kid out and put him in a private school or homeschool him. You continue to allow this to happen you are also to blame.
Moms of bullies - you know this is happening. You are just ignorant and uncaring. And btw, wwjd?. Discipline your children! They will grow up with the same tendencies and if they are mean and have no outlet - who do you think they will pick on? Poor frail mom!
Been there done that

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Your kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be the parent of these bullies. Not every kid has the guts to stand up to bullies, it's the fear of the unknown. I have one son who would beat the snot out of anyone who tries to bully him and I have another son who is afraid if he hits the bullies back they will kill him (he really believes this). I have tried to teach him to punch the bullies one time right in they eye and that will stop them in their tracks but he is too afraid.
My older son used to get tripped as he was walking down the isle of his class, the bully would laugh and say are you gonna do something about it. Well... one day the bully tripped him and stood up and said the standard line "are you gonna do something about it" my son grabbed him by the neck and slammed him down on the floor continued to choke while screaming at him "this is what I'm gonna do, you want to fuck with me now?" My son got suspended for his aggressive behavior, I looked at it as a vacation for doing the right thing. HE HAS NEVER BEEN BULLIED AGAIN! The kids joke and say "don't mess with him, he's crazy you never know what he'll do." Now if I could only get the other one to do the same thing.
Exactly - give 'em a taste of their own sh-t!
Slappy Sanchez

Wallington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

The parents of the bullies will be the first ones sobbing in their cornflakes when this kid pulls a Columbine.

“There's Only One ME!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Slappy Sanchez wrote:
The parents of the bullies will be the first ones sobbing in their cornflakes when this kid pulls a Columbine.
The parents of the bullies need to find out what the hell their kid is so angry about. Just as the parents of the kids being bullied need to grab these school administrators by the throat to do something about it!
new sheriff in town

West Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

i believe that bullied children who get no help from the school should be allowed to carry legal consealed hand guns. it's much easier to learn to shoot than to become the next mike tyson. as the old saying goes, god made man but mister colt made them equal. the armed child could be then something of a unoffical policeperson for the school. it could even keep some of those perve teachers in line!
Duh

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

To Patrick and his parents,

I am so sorry that you have been bullied. I strongly suggest that you press charges against the child (monster) that hit you on the head with a rock. There is no excuse for that and the child that did the deed is a criminal. He or she needs to be treated and followed by probation.

If this monster child gets away with assaulting you now without criminal penalties what heinous crime will he commit in the future? Rape? Murder?

Please do not let the school dissuade you from pressing charges. School administrators just like to sweep incidents like this under the carpet. Look at the incident in Merrick where the school failed to take appropriate action when a child brought a weapon to school.
Blaze

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

You would think with all the violence that is going on in these schools these days they would be more aware of bullying. Especially if the kid said one of the bullying is going to kill him. Don't they have a police officer assigned to the school they do down here from middle school to high school. Yes I also feel the child should stand up for himself. Punch one of the kids once and it will stop.
Gimme A Break

Amityville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

This is how my Mother handled the school bully:

My sister comes home crying and tells Mom that this girl and her friends beats her up after school each day. My Mom said, we'll fix that, she puts my sister in the car, drives her back to the school where they find the bully and her friends hanging out. My Mom gets out of the car with my Sis, approaches the bully and says, think your tough, one on one, lets see who wins! She then pushes my sister and tells her, "Beth, kick the living schit out of her". And she did. And from that day on, the bully and her friends were nice to my sister.

Moral of the story: No one screws with Katie's kids!!

“LETS GO RANGERS”

Since: Apr 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Your kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, thats hows it's done. I was bullied in Jr high the 1970's, finally took a baseball bat to the biggest. Got left back one year and was never bothered again.

AND, I ran into one of them in a bar in the 1980's, kicked him right in the nuts, didn't say a word to him.
Training the Bullyable

Mount Sinai, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Train this kid to...
Argue effectively
FIGHT and WIN
Take an occasional pounding without crying
STAND UP for himself

RESPECT must be EARNED
LI civil servant

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

This is just another frivelous lawsuit and a complete waste of the schools time and resources. This kids parents are sueing the West Islip school district because: "We want them to say 'We are willing to do the right thing, and make it right'". Are you kidding me? The right thing for these people to do is to teach their kid how to fight back. But it's obvious they can't do that because they can't do it for themselves. Geez, it's a miracle that this kid was even concieved.
Then the article says that the kids mother, a Beth Kohlmann, "began keeping records of the incidents more than a year ago and now she is talking to a State Legislator about proposed anti-bullying legislation" There you have it! Their motive is money! I can't believe that a legislator is actually entertaining this nonsense! I want to know who this "legislator" is so I can put him in his place. If anything, what this legislator should be doing in this case is proposing anti-bad parent legislation. He should name it the Kohlmann law. The article also says that now the kid is handing out blue bracelets at school that say "Stand Up to Bullying"... I feel so sorry for this kid. No wonder he gets picks on, he is an absolute disaster. If he wants to hand out bracelets at school then he should hand out some of the yellow bracelets that say "Support Our Troops". What this kid needs is a positive male role model, not the pathetic excuse he has for a father. Bottom line. If you can't handle your kid weather he is a bully or a wimp, then you have no business being a parent.
LI civil servant

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Death Race wrote:
Thank you!Absoultely 100% correct. You hit the nail right on the head.

“There's Only One ME!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Blaze wrote:
You would think with all the violence that is going on in these schools these days they would be more aware of bullying. Especially if the kid said one of the bullying is going to kill him. Don't they have a police officer assigned to the school they do down here from middle school to high school. Yes I also feel the child should stand up for himself. Punch one of the kids once and it will stop.
When the bully threatened to kill him, he should have been arrested and the school should have expelled him!!
LI civil servant

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

To the parents of little Patrick Kohlmann. Please read the following. You just might learn something.
Gimme A Break wrote:
My sister comes home crying and tells Mom that this girl and her friends beats her up after school each day. My Mom said, we'll fix that, she puts my sister in the car, drives her back to the school where they find the bully and her friends hanging out. My Mom gets out of the car with my Sis, approaches the bully and says, think your tough, one on one, lets see who wins! She then pushes my sister and tells her, "Beth, kick the living schit out of her". And she did. And from that day on, the bully and her friends were nice to my sister.
exislander

Lebanon, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

School administrators could care less about a student's safety or well being or education for that matter. They are in it for the money. The exposure of these greedy, self centered individuals speaks volumes of their character.

“There's Only One ME!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

Judged:

Gimme A Break wrote:
An Example of GOOD PARENTING!! Bravo!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

West Islip News Video

•••
•••

West Islip Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

West Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

West Islip News, Events & Info