Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
30,061 - 30,080 of 45,906 Comments Last updated 29 min ago

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
Instead of simply dismissing sceptical scientists out of hand, why not rebut the "fatal flaws" that are claimed to have been found in the work of Shakun et al?
Why bother? You need to show us the peer reviewed papers that prove that Shakun is wrong. WUWT, Heartland, etc don't count.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why bother? You need to show us the peer reviewed papers that prove that Shakun is wrong. WUWT, Heartland, etc don't count.
Exactly, but about the bother.

It hurts the brain to read a twisted logic with sprinkle of wrongly-used technical terms.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Judged:

Nauseous wrote:
nothing like the sharp rise of the past century
And:
Nauseous wrote:
and the century ahead.
Do you realise what those words signify?
You're saying that "a sharp ries" in the century ahead has already happened, or is mapped out.
I hope you don't wonder why I call you Nauseous.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

Colonization of space is the only answer.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

flack wrote:
Colonization of space is the only answer.
That would be impossible, space is empty.
Another planet, maybe, not cmpletely impossible, but highly unlikely in anything other than science fiction films.
*IF* it ever happened, only a handful of people would ever leave Earth and no one would ever know if they made it to safety.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

Northie wrote:
Right on all counts. And I didn't mean to suggest that the past 8,000 years' "steady" downward trend in temps was an absolutely straight line; there have been slight rises and falls, although nothing like the sharp rise of the past century and the century ahead.
Nobody knows about the century ahead, time doesn't work that way. If trends continue, but what if they don't? What if you pick different end points to create different trend slopes?

Face it, climate mitigation is a hoax because it can't be measured.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

If you truly want to start to educate yourself on this issue, please read a column concerning a major scientist voice who thought global warming was bs but has since learned otherwise:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-l...

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>That would be impossible, space is empty.
Another planet, maybe, not cmpletely impossible, but highly unlikely in anything other than science fiction films.
*IF* it ever happened, only a handful of people would ever leave Earth and no one would ever know if they made it to safety.
As usual you are incorrect. Space is not "cmpletely" empty. As a matter of fact, your brain is nearly all empty space. If all the electrons, protons, neutrons, etc. were compacted it would only amount to a quite microscopic speck.

We are on the threshold of new concepts of space and time. It is quite possible that there may someday be ways to "jump" from one space time continuum to another.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>That would be impossible, space is empty.
Don't send people off-planet, silly - just send the minerals extraction and industrial production off-planet together with the associated energy consumption and waste/by-product generation.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
If you truly want to start to educate yourself on this issue, please read a column concerning a major scientist voice who thought global warming was bs but has since learned otherwise:
If you truely wanted to educate yourself you would read the scientific studies from both sides of the debate and also study the climate history of earth.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truely wanted to educate yourself you would read the scientific studies from both sides of the debate and also study the climate history of earth.
I have. So has the scientist in the article (to a larger extent than me since he is an actual scientist) who used to believe there wasn't global warming until he studied the data.

I don't care what you believe. Truly I don't. As they say, ignorance is bliss so you must be blissful.
PHD

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truely wanted to educate yourself you would learn how to read Less than a box of rocks.Hay maybe you could get some Scientific studies on yourself to help with that refund owed you from that higher education establishment that robbed you.Well actually if you made an attempt to pay attention and started at Pre K level again it may work.
kristy

Palm Bay, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I have. So has the scientist in the article (to a larger extent than me since he is an actual scientist) who used to believe there wasn't global warming until he studied the data.
I don't care what you believe. Truly I don't. As they say, ignorance is bliss so you must be blissful.
You seriously have looked at both sides of the debate? First off Muller's paper can't get out of peer review due to major revisions needed in his analysis. Second, have you read Judith Curry's analysis of Muller's paper? Curry is a co-author on other BEST papers with Muller. She did not want her name on this recent paper. Here is what she had to say about Muller's paper:

"No one that I listen to questions that adding CO2 to the atmosphere will warm the earth’s surface, all other things being equal. The issue is whether anthropogenic activities or natural variability is dominating the climate variability. If the climate shifts hypothesis is correct (this is where I am placing my money), then this is a very difficult thing to untangle, and we will go through periods of rapid warming that are followed by a stagnant or even cooling period, and there are multiple time scales involved for both the external forcing and natural internal variability that conspire to produce unpredictable shifts.

Maybe the climate system is simpler than I think it is, but I suspect not. I do know that it is not as simple as portrayed by the Rhode, Muller et al. analysis.

However, this does not stop the team from cheering Muller’s conclusion, see especially the thinkprogress post and the comments. If the attribution problem was as simple as Muller makes it out to be (curve fitting to CO2 concentration), then why are others wasting all their time with complex modeling studies, data analyses etc as described above? At least William Connolley and Eli Rabett have stated this analysis is oversimplistic."

http://judithcurry.com/2012/07/30/observation...

________

Muller has never been a skeptic. He did question the methods of Mann's hockey stick, but he has never believed that CO2 is not the main contributor to global warming. In 2008, Muller had this to say this to say to the presidential candidates regarding global warming:

There is a consensus that global warming is real. There has not been much so far, but it’s going to get much, much worse. The thing I would tell the president is that the global warming, according to the global consensus — that’s the IPCC
scientists, who won the Nobel Prize — the global warming of the future is going to come from the developing world. It’s the exploding economies of China and India and Asia that are going to be responsible for the CO2.

This causes a political problem because they are poor and have a low standard of living and shouldn’t have to pay for emissions cuts.

So, the only way this is going to work is that we pay the expense of them cutting back. If all we do is set an example, the example we’ll have set is that once you’re a wealthy nation, you can cut back on CO2.
If that’s the example, they will wait until they are wealthy and then they’ll cut back and it’ll be too late.

Of course, if either one of the candidates said, we have to send
$100 billion to China, they’d lose. But after the election maybe they can talk about that.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/11/phy...

______

So please provide proof of where Muller did not believe that CO2 was a main contributor to global warming before this paper. Sounds like to me you are just repeating talking points and not really do any research.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Tojam wrote:
-

You are so far out of touch it almost hurts to read what you innocents write.
This story began a year ago and was covered in depth here, as well as all over the internerd.
I suggest you do some homework and bring yourself up to date before mouthing off.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>You are so far out of touch it almost hurts to read what you innocents write.
This story began a year ago and was covered in depth here, as well as all over the internerd.
I suggest you do some homework and bring yourself up to date before mouthing off.
Out of touch is you..........LOL

Only a out of touch moron would say that solar is not a good investment..........LOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

LOLROIKWH wrote:
..........LOL
..........LOL
Go play computer games.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Go play computer games.
Yes we know you will never admit that you are wrong and you know you are wrong so you won't even try to disprove the ROI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

For someone who argues that KWH is the correct way to write kWh, LOLROIKWH sure goes on about his ROI, LOL, KWH.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You know you are RIGHT.

Ignore the resident, paid deniers here. They think they own the thread. And they fight dirtily because they don't have neither brains, nor hearts.. unfortunately.

Hope you stay in this forum. We'll all benefit from your participation in the exchanges.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>You are so far out of touch it almost hurts to read what you innocents write.
Hey dirtie, it is a free forum. Nobody needs your unsolicited approval.

MYOB and follow your own advice. You certainly need it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Hartford Discussions

Search the West Hartford Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Leosgrandma 1,084,227
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr scirocco 68,453
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Chet Booswahnicki 18,608
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Nana4pali 68,064
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 11 hr Brian_G 305,182
The Trial of Heather Specyalski (Mar '13) Tue Cassie 22
Cher Calvin (Nov '08) Tue Ron Wells 19
•••
•••
•••
•••

West Hartford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••