Comments
181 - 200 of 202 Comments Last updated Jul 22, 2011
one of them

Rock Island, IL

#182 Mar 30, 2010
since when does a city not let you open a business
lbj

Rock Island, IL

#183 May 1, 2010
If you are waiting for the Super Walmart you have a very long wait. I talk to the city fathers. There are no permits, No dates, and No comunication with walmart of buiding a new store. The only thing Watseka got was a empty lot. The cost of putting in drainage to the iroqouis river will cost more than the city can afford. Pearl Hamilton stated to me that the city is flat broke. they will have to pay off that million dollar city hall. which the town didnt need and i been in it we got ripped off. Any thing that would make this town grow they shoot down and find excuses not to go through any thing that would promote growth to are town. We can not survive with out new buisness, factories. the city want a retirement comunity and they will get there wish. closed stores mininum wage jobs. plus a high unemployment rate. the towns that will survive are people with open minds and try the best to get growth for there comunity. the problem with are town are not it people who live here its the idiots we elected and need to get rid of starting with the mayor all the way down to all the alderman. The old politics does not work any more . this town needs a huge change with people who have the guts to fight for new industries instead of waisting the tax payers money. Plus the same goes for the elected county officials. they are no better. Walmart is not the answer for saving are town. it would be nice to have but in turn it will kill the mom and pop stores through out the county. But it could attract new industries that would help the failing home market. The more industrie the more people would come to town to buy homes and start new buisness's. We are in bad shape and need changes county wide to survive. this was a booming town many years ago and it can be again. But not with the people we have in office. Soon will be dried up like pittwood. Is that what we want. next election i would like to see new people run for office who are not afraid to work hard to make are town grow. Just think about what we have lost in the last 20 years. i am ver concerned are you.
A Smal Hart Associate

United States

#184 May 3, 2010
We heard last week that they'll build the building in the fall, then work on the inside through the winter and open in Spring of 2011. As far as the rude employees go, there's supposedly an "A" team and a "B" team during the day. The B team has to do all the work because the others stand around and talk. We have a new Marketing team, a new Store Director, and several new managers, and everything's changing for the better. So don't give up on them just yet. The Supercenter will bring a few new jobs, and KFC is supposed to be relocating closer to the Supercenter too. The more you shop at the current store, the more reason they have to build the Super. Maybe by then I'll be in Management, but honestly I'd rather be with a decent company by then!(There's a lot of corruption in Walmart.) There's also some great people, even in Management. Its just a hit and miss thing. I'm trying not to be too cynical though.
give it a rest

Rock Island, IL

#185 May 7, 2010
Tink wrote:
<quoted text>Well let me just say this whoever wrote this is not thinking right because Jen is not a Management
Jen at that time was support management or they wouldn not have had her closing at times. She is not longer management of any kind as she stepped down to spend more time with her beautiful baby girl.
give it a rest

Rock Island, IL

#186 May 7, 2010
give it a rest wrote:
<quoted text>
Jen at that time was support management or they wouldn not have had her closing at times. She is not longer management of any kind as she stepped down to spend more time with her beautiful baby girl.
my mistake...I meant Jess, had wrong person in mind..both ladies are awesome people though
Former resident

United States

#187 May 16, 2010
I'll believe it when I SEE it, because I remember seeing signs on the fencing when they were tearing Value Village down that said "Future home of Wal-Mart 1548". I remember wondering at that time why they were giving it the same store number as the existing one. Then about a week after the bldg was down, the fencing came down and so did the signs...
I Believe

United States

#188 May 17, 2010
lbj wrote:
If you are waiting for the Super Walmart you have a very long wait. I talk to the city fathers. There are no permits, No dates, and No comunication with walmart of buiding a new store. The only thing Watseka got was a empty lot. The cost of putting in drainage to the iroqouis river will cost more than the city can afford. Pearl Hamilton stated to me that the city is flat broke. they will have to pay off that million dollar city hall. which the town didnt need and i been in it we got ripped off. Any thing that would make this town grow they shoot down and find excuses not to go through any thing that would promote growth to are town. We can not survive with out new buisness, factories. the city want a retirement comunity and they will get there wish. closed stores mininum wage jobs. plus a high unemployment rate. the towns that will survive are people with open minds and try the best to get growth for there comunity. the problem with are town are not it people who live here its the idiots we elected and need to get rid of starting with the mayor all the way down to all the alderman. The old politics does not work any more . this town needs a huge change with people who have the guts to fight for new industries instead of waisting the tax payers money. Plus the same goes for the elected county officials. they are no better. Walmart is not the answer for saving are town. it would be nice to have but in turn it will kill the mom and pop stores through out the county. But it could attract new industries that would help the failing home market. The more industrie the more people would come to town to buy homes and start new buisness's. We are in bad shape and need changes county wide to survive. this was a booming town many years ago and it can be again. But not with the people we have in office. Soon will be dried up like pittwood. Is that what we want. next election i would like to see new people run for office who are not afraid to work hard to make are town grow. Just think about what we have lost in the last 20 years. i am ver concerned are you.
they approved the $250,000 for the drainage system awhile back so idk where u got the info that because it was in the times republic that it was approved. Other than that its all in walmarts hands to decide what it wants to do.
Citizen

Rock Island, IL

#190 Sep 30, 2010
Well the time has finally come. They are starting the work this weekend for the Super Wal-Mart.
Dan

Elk Grove Village, IL

#191 Oct 5, 2010
Citizen wrote:
Well the time has finally come. They are starting the work this weekend for the Super Wal-Mart.
The plumbing inspector was at my house and got a call from them. They were installing the underground pipes. He said,'they want to have it built by Christmas, so they can work inside all winter.' I don't know if this it true, but it is what he said.
just me

Sun City, CA

#192 Oct 5, 2010
they need to make like a bowling alliey or something like a kids club for lik 13 to 16 it would be really nice for the kids.
Buy American

Bourbonnais, IL

#193 Oct 11, 2010
Super Walmart is exactly why you dont have any jobs. They encourage the manufactures of the products that they sell to have it built in China so they can sell it for a quarter less. You as consumers think you are getting a good deal because you might save 5-10% over American built. But all you are doing is rewarding Walmart for sending your jobs overseas. It is sad that Americans sell out their neighbors and relatives jobs to save a few bucks. If I can buy a product made in America over some foreign made crap, i will gladly pay more for it.

You wanted China's outlet mall, and it looks like you will get it, say good-by to the last businesses that are owned by locals that actually care about their employees. Possibly you can get a job at one of the 12 "antique" stores in town.(Read that second hand white-trash stores)
pete

Menifee, CA

#194 Mar 1, 2011
Just me wrote:
Watseka needs a farm and fleet because all the people at Big R are snooty and treat people like shit.
I feel the same way to be honest.......I've lived here all my life , and it's always been that way for some reason.
must be known

Downers Grove, IL

#195 Mar 2, 2011
Buy American, you right... I try to keep my money to go to the small town buisness... but americans only see one way now and it is scary and sad at the same time.... just the way people think anymore is our countries doom
Mountain Dew Madness

Englewood, CO

#196 Jul 5, 2011
Children, Children, children....... Cry me a frickin river... Wha, Wha.... Its life, grow up....... Most of the post's are employee's bashing employee's. I don't think i will ever shop at watseka walmart ever again! Team work, thats the answer. If you can't get along with your fellow employee's, then find another job, i bet your problems will follow. Work ethics, you a need a crash course. Hell, look in the mirror and i bet you find that person you are talking about. I don't know any employee's there at all, and if i owned walmart i would fire all you baby's and put you back in pre-school. lmfao........ O.K.... CHILDREN... its nap time.. You want me to hold your hands, or tuck you in to bed. Come on, everywhere you go, you will have to deal with this. Walmart management, get all your employee's in one room and let them vent. I bet not one employee would speak up. Reminds me of the cartoon character on he-man, man of faces, you push a button and he changes faces in a matter of seconds.:):o :(:\:p and so on. Really,take the disater in japan, you should all take lessons from them. they have the ideal culture in that country. Well,I have more to say but i am not going to. So if anyone wants me to hold there hand or tuck them in,stick it where the sun don't shine im not your mommy or daddy. Mountain Dew Madness has spoken..........
Confused

Rock Island, IL

#197 Jul 8, 2011
foxbox wrote:
I have lived in Watseka about 6 years now. Moved here from Chicago. Everybody told me I was crazy. I cant even try to argue with that, but I have seen this town grow and improve so much in 6 years. I am really proud to be a citizen of Watseka, despite its imperfections. My job is to be one of the people who will make it even better. Watch for the animal shelter I am opening in spring. It will provide for the animals of Irq. county, a service this area desperately needs.
As for the fate of the old buildings and what should become of it......I think a roller skating rink or a bowling alley would be nice.
I don't where you live but I have lived in Watseka for 3 years and have seen one factory closed, 2 floods, and a bunch of empty homes. So PLEASE tell me where it has grown because I sure am not seeing it!
Slow Cashiers

Rock Island, IL

#198 Jul 8, 2011
A Smal Hart Associate wrote:
We heard last week that they'll build the building in the fall, then work on the inside through the winter and open in Spring of 2011. As far as the rude employees go, there's supposedly an "A" team and a "B" team during the day. The B team has to do all the work because the others stand around and talk. We have a new Marketing team, a new Store Director, and several new managers, and everything's changing for the better. So don't give up on them just yet. The Supercenter will bring a few new jobs, and KFC is supposed to be relocating closer to the Supercenter too. The more you shop at the current store, the more reason they have to build the Super. Maybe by then I'll be in Management, but honestly I'd rather be with a decent company by then!(There's a lot of corruption in Walmart.) There's also some great people, even in Management. Its just a hit and miss thing. I'm trying not to be too cynical though.
Well I hope when it opens they tell the cashiers to speed up, because it takes forever to get checked-out. A snail moves faster then they do. And the ones that are out on the floor that are supposed to help you, YEA RIGHT!. You can never find any, then half the time they don't know what you are talking about. They are to busy talking to each other or their boy-friends/husbands, or friends. That is why I hate having to go in there, but there in no other stores around. So I guess I am stuck going there.
Ex cashier

United States

#199 Jul 8, 2011
As an ex cashier at the Watseka Walmart, I just found this forum this evening, while searching for another topic. While I didn't have a computer at all while working there (couldn't afford one working for Walmart wages, but that's beside the point), I've found all these posts quite entertaining! I had no idea that all this was going on online; I guess I was just blissfully unaware.

I just have to add my 2 cents though...while working there, I would go to work most days with a good attitude and fairly happy. Unfortunately, it wouldn't last long. Being confronted with very rude customers, standing 7 - 8 hours in one spot, pulling items up to reach them (no conveyor belts), twisting, lifting, etc. all takes their toll on a middle aged body to where you don't feel and act so nice and cheery by the end of your shift.

So Walmart customers, try to remember that your cashier may be trying his or her best to be friendly, but if the "old body" is crying out in pain, it's really, really tough to be so friendly.
shopaholic

Washington, IL

#200 Jul 19, 2011
Does anyone have any news on the new Walmart?
Dont judge others

Menifee, CA

#201 Jul 20, 2011
it is still being built
shopaholic

Washington, IL

#202 Jul 20, 2011
Thanks. Do they have a date that they anticipate being open?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Watseka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr BoDidHe 49,477
Uarco (Nov '08) 4 hr all4america 18
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 16 hr newpoly 1,903
new to the area Thu smart 4
jessica avalos Thu letsplayhidethesa... 3
Swingers? Thu monsterbalz 8
Bad Business Contractor Thu MitRomony 3
Old bands from the 70's if you can't remember t... (May '09) Jul '14 gladimgone 34
•••
•••
•••

Watseka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Watseka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Watseka News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Watseka
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••