BP to move 1,200 jobs to downtown Chicago from suburbs

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Oil giant BP plans to move approximately 1,200 workers from the western suburbs to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on Wacker Drive.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frank

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Even though it is a long commute from naperville, it's better than getting cancer from that building.
good news

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

It's about time that major corporations look to downtown venues that have other options than to drive a car to Naperville. I think downtowns across America will benefit from $5/ gallon gas. Let's stop the sprawl that eats up road fundings and let people take the Metra or El to get to work.
The first smart thing that BP has done in awhile.
olucy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

1200 BP workers! Great! Are these the people who are going to clean up Lake Michigan? That would be a start.
Paper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

maybe with their windfall of profits they can subsidize their workers Metra/CTA fares.
Mike

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Yeah- wait until they workers start realizing what they have to pay in taxes to Crook County and the city- they will be running back to the suburbs- not to mention- you will lose all those workers when they have kids b/c no one in their right mind sends their kids to CPS if they don't have to
Steelpedler

Seymour, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Good to see that BP treats its employees the same way as everyonoe else and doesnt' worry about their gasoline bills either.
olucy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Worry about their gasoline bills? Why...it's good for business! That's what you call "investing in the company you work for."
da truth

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

People just love this great city. The west loop is a great place to live.
Glitch

Rolling Meadows, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Except.. it's likely many of them don't live there and don't want to.
Too Easy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Hum, I wonder what kind of deal Richie cut with our tax dollars to lure BP back into town. You know, like what trhe Boeing deal cost us....
Mark in OP

Oak Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Just in time for Daley's parking tax plans!!!!!!!!!!
Abracadabra

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

COuld you blame them? Ever try dirving around Naperville? It is a traffic nightmare. Nowhere else do you sit for 20 minutes waiting to make a left hand turn. May as well just live in the city...traffic is just as bad, but at least there is public trans.
da truth

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Abracadabra wrote:
COuld you blame them? Ever try dirving around Naperville? It is a traffic nightmare. Nowhere else do you sit for 20 minutes waiting to make a left hand turn. May as well just live in the city...traffic is just as bad, but at least there is public trans.
Naperville is the worst for traffic. BP was smart to move downtown. As far as Daley doing anything on this move that would be no. But getting the Boeing HQ hear in the city was great. It has made millions for the city the past 6 years.
Butch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

So much for Naperville being the "Best Place to Live"....

The yuppies don't seem to like it and can you blame them? It's nothing but an over-rated, overbuilt, cookie-cutter home community with the WORST traffic congestion in the burbs. We moved out of that suburban cesspoll years ago and never looked back.
Brad

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2008

Steelpedler wrote:
Good to see that BP treats its employees the same way as everyonoe else and doesnt' worry about their gasoline bills either.
Apparently you missed the point that by working in the city, many more employees will be able to take public transportation rather than drive cars to work as was necessary in Naperville.

The only problem with this plan is that riding public transportation in Chicago is a rather unpleasant experience. Perhaps someday we will have a system as comfortable and attractive as Montreal and Paris, but not as long as Daley is mayor and granting contracts to his pals.
Lefty

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2008

Great move!! Working downtown is so much fun!!
Forget about joining a gym, the walk from the train to the building is plenty of exercise twice a day.
I guess BP knows the price of gasoline is high- so why not take a train to your place of employment.
Anon

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2008

Butch wrote:
So much for Naperville being the "Best Place to Live"....
The yuppies don't seem to like it and can you blame them? It's nothing but an over-rated, overbuilt, cookie-cutter home community with the WORST traffic congestion in the burbs. We moved out of that suburban cesspoll years ago and never looked back.
Good thing you are in Hinsdale where you won't have to worry about the yuppies and Mc Mansions...... HA !
Thomas

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2008

They did what is best for the company. I'm sure they did not poll there employees and ask them if they all wanted to work down town. Yes the traffic in Naperville is bad but if you live in Naperville and work at BP your commute just went from 20 minutes to 2+ Hours with car, bus & train.
progress

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2008

Mike wrote:
Yeah- wait until they workers start realizing what they have to pay in taxes to Crook County and the city- they will be running back to the suburbs- not to mention- you will lose all those workers when they have kids b/c no one in their right mind sends their kids to CPS if they don't have to
Since when did Chicago have an income tax? Besides, last report I saw Lincoln Park H.S. was ranked nationally, yet I don't remember seeing any suburban school other than Riverside Brookfield ranked. I am sue many BP workers will embrace working and living in a city vs stripmallville.
Bob

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2008

Mark in OP wrote:
Just in time for Daley's parking tax plans!!!!!!!!!!
Ever hear of the Burlington-Northern or the Northwestern?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Warrenville Discussions

Search the Warrenville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr lol 47,058
Bolingbrook Reports very own George Smith (Feb '12) Thu Erich 335
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) Thu jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,533
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Apr 16 Be kuel 1,808
IL Who do you support for Attorney General in Illi... (Oct '10) Apr 16 Be kuel 638
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) Apr 15 Tired 503
IL Who do you support for Comptroller in Illinois ... (Oct '10) Apr 15 Rediculous 253
•••
•••
•••
•••

Warrenville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Warrenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance