Voluntown Father, Son Drown At Pachaug State Forest

Thomas Girard was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. He lived on Preston City Road with his family, less than a mile from Pachaug State Forest, where the pond is located. Full Story
gwenn

Danielson, CT

#1 Jul 2, 2008
This is so sad; I hope the town will do something for this poor family,they have had it hard enough.

I know there will be those who say or think they should not have been at that place at that time, but there is enough blame to go around here, for a family who had not much other recreation and fought so hard against foreclosure.(see www.norwichbulletin.com )

Even in broad daylight,there are signs that say 'no lifeguard on duty' due to the many budget cuts that keep the money at the administration level,rather than employing lifesavers.

The plight of this poor family began before their drowning tragedy,just seems like no one has been there for them ,as a community or church should be,let's hope they are there now.
Haddam Resident

Harwich, MA

#2 Jul 2, 2008
This is just a sad story - so sorry for the loss of these two. For any locals there - is this a typical swim...do people enjoying the swimming area typically swim to the Island? Just sounds curious that they all decided to swim across to the island - it sounds as if this is a normal activity while swimming there.
Typical

Newington, CT

#3 Jul 2, 2008
What a tragic loss. Have comfort in knowing father and son are together. My prayers are with the family. God Bless you all!!!!!
123abc

East Hartford, CT

#4 Jul 2, 2008
Is anyone familiar with this location? Did they just wander out too far and lose stamina and therefore go under? I'm just confused about the circumstances. Thank you.
Paul T

Windsor, CT

#5 Jul 2, 2008
everyone should petition extreme home makeover to help these poor people!!!!!!!!!!
go here to nominate them
go here to print this out and nominate them
http://a.abc.com/media/primetime/xtremehome/a...
MOM in EH

New Hartford, CT

#6 Jul 2, 2008
I know this family personally and they are wounderful people. It's too bad that something so tragic could happen to them... RIP Marc and Thom !!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with the family...
Old Skeptic

North Westchester, CT

#7 Jul 2, 2008
RE Pettit Family: My thoughts from day one were the same as her parents. How could the police not get to the house first. Another Tracy Thurmond nightmare. And shame on the bank employees for letting her leave the bank.
When in doubt

North Haven, CT

#8 Jul 2, 2008
If anyone is caught in the same situation, always float on your back and do the back stroke. This happened to me a long time ago when I was at qaudic state park in thompson, ct and I was swimming to an island and I lost stamina, I almost panic ed and remembered to float on my back, i got enough energy to swim to the island and then swim back.
Enfield Citizen

Glastonbury, CT

#9 Jul 3, 2008
Paul T --- Excellent idea! Let's spread the word and nominate this family. Instead of forwarding the joke you just received or the chain letter you received in an email, take that time to go to Extreme Makeover's website and nominate this family.
Saddened

AOL

#10 Jul 3, 2008
My deepsest symp[athy to the family.
God bless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Voluntown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boyfriend: Woman Found Dead In Road Jumped Out ... (Jul '08) Oct 8 Nunya 67
Home invasion in Plainfield a hoax Oct 3 Lol 1
question Sep '14 lenajo 1
missing english setter (Dec '13) Dec '13 Boone has been found 1
Portable Toilets Lit on Fire at Conn. Baseball ... (Sep '13) Oct '13 Uh Clem 14
Review: Dave's Garage (Oct '13) Oct '13 steve 1
Review: RT 12 Roadside Diner (Nov '12) Sep '13 Bill 8
Voluntown Dating
Find my Match

Voluntown Jobs