CHP officer shot and killed in Hwy. 99 stop

Full story: Visalia Times-Delta

RIPON - A California Highway Patrol officer was shot and killed early Friday during a traffic stop on Highway 99, making him the fifth CHP officer killed on duty in the last five months, the highway ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 81 Comments Last updated Dec 25, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
ben hernandez

Salida, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2006

this is the second police officer shot and killed
in this area in less than six months.We need to hire
more police officers,so two can ride in the police car
and protect each other.
Carl

Farmington, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2006

Judged:

ben hernandez wrote:
and protect each other.
Why not just hire thousands more so there won't be anyone left to protect. How ridiculous!
Justin

Okanogan, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2006

Well Carl, thats five CHPs dead in five months... your suggestion to help fix this problem is what?(beside sarcastic ridicule)

I work in a rural area where there is almost no backup; we recently investigated going to two unit cars to help with officer safety issues. Its not a bad idea.

Have you ever been getting your butt whooped for 30 minutes while you waited for the nearest backup to get there Carl? I suspect not.
Second Thoughts

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2006

Judged:

ben hernandez wrote:
and protect each other.
How about we put the shooter to death in a timely manner...and not after 20 years when he's exhausted all of his appeals and whined for clemency.

And how about having him meet his death the same exact way he imposed it upon others.
Second Thoughts

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2006

Carl wrote:
<quoted text>

Why not just hire thousands more so there won't be anyone left to protect. How ridiculous!
Show a little respect for those who, every day, put their lives on the line to protect you.
Reannon Rodriguez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2006

As a public safety dispatcher in this area, I second the recommendation to have two Police Officers per vehicle! This is the 5th CHP Officer to be killed in the last 5 months and that's NOT INCLUDING all the Officers who are hurt on the job. CARL, maybe you should think about the comment you just made when you have an emergency and it takes us 45 minutes to respond because the Officers are understaffed. Uh hello, then you'd be ranting and raving for more staffing! This man was a good Officer and had a wife...It's every law enforcement spouse's worst nightmare to have something like this transpire. Yes, it's all part of the job but think how much guts it takes to pick up the pieces and continue doing your job after something like this.
Vanessa-- Texas

Selma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2006

I believe it is ridicuolus for California to have officers alone especially at night, and on that part of the state.
Reannon Rodriguez

Merced, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2006

Oh it is ridiculous but what's being done about it? This is the 5th in 5 months and still it keeps happening. When we it change? We need harsher punishments for the scum bags who do things like this.
northern CA

Goleta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2006

Judged:

Carl wrote:
<quoted text>

I would like to know what you do for a living Carl? As a CHP Officer in northern california my friends and I put our lives on the line daily to protect people like you. I'm sure that this Officer would have much rather been home in bed at 4 AM like you were. But no he was out on the street doing his sworn duty...have some respect...serioulsy.
We took the oath

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2006

northern CA wrote:
<quoted text>

I would like to know what you do for a living Carl? As a CHP Officer in northern california my friends and I put our lives on the line daily to protect people like you. I'm sure that this Officer would have much rather been home in bed at 4 AM like you were. But no he was out on the street doing his sworn duty...have some respect...serioulsy.
Cut Carl a break! First of all let me say how sick I feel about another peace officer "fallen in the line of duty". Thats the risk we take as emergency personel. I work "crash" for LAPD and begged for the chance Because routine B&W enroutes were boring for me. I risk my life even more because I decided to, nobody else. Our logo says "To protect and serve" but lets face it most of us have these jobs because of the great salary and owesome overtime. We knew the job was dangerous when we took the oath. Read the fine print, and our deaths in the line of duty should not be more important than any civilian's.
Second Thoughts

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2006

We took the oath wrote:
<quoted text>
Our logo says "To protect and serve" but lets face it most of us have these jobs because of the great salary and owesome overtime.
Being a civilian, myself, this last statement shows me you're not a police officer.

First of all, an officer's salary is not that great. That's why the LAPD is having such a hard time getting officers and keeping them.
Second, your "owesome" (as opposed to awesome) overtime is not your choice. Whereas, it may be over-time, the double-shifting and triple-shifting leaves no time for any sort of family, or family life.

If you call divorce and child support awesome...more power to you.
Malia

Burley, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2006

I think that saying the last comment made by the LA officer meant that he wasn't a officer was unfair.His comment was meant to be sarcastic and is very true.Officers put there lives on the line daily because of the passion they have for there jobs,it has nothing to do with pay.In my opion police officer are seriously underpaid.
JDJ

Fair Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2006

California Highway Patrol are also known as CHP. Everyday, they put their life on the line to protect the California highways. Some CHPs are not so lucky, and are shot and killed while doing a routine stop. This leaves their families and friends in great devastation and sadness. In every CHP car, there should be some type of video equipment, which gives live feed back to the police station. As well, every CHP should be required to wear bulletproof vests. The taxpayers should be willing to pay for the camera and bulletproof vests.
A video camera that gives live feedback to the station can help the CHP officer in many ways. The video camera gives a good look on what kind of vehicle the station can tell CHP officers to look for and what is happening to the officer. If the officer pulls over a car, and is shot, the police station can see the identity of the person who shot the officer and thus put out a manhunt. In addition, the station can call immediate medical help to help the CHP in need.
Bulletproof vest should be required, so that every Highway Patrol officer is wearing it while on duty. The bulletproof vest helps protect the officers in everyway to help keep the officer alive. There may have been a lower number of CHP officers killed, if they were required to wear bulletproof vests.
These two things could be paid with the taxpayers’ money. Taxpayers should be willing to pay extra money to help save lives of CHP officers, who put themselves in danger to keep taxpayers safe.
CHP officers should not be killed while on the line of duty, and should be protected in everyway. Since there are a low number of people wanting to become High Way officers because of recent shootings, the camera and vests should increase the number of CHP officers in the community. The bulletproof vests and camera are just two ways, which should protect the officers, and the love ones that can be left behind.
Former Texas Cop

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2007

Well I read this entire thread, first of all, my heart goes out to all of those who are surviving the loss of a loved one who sacraficed it all in the line of duty. And my hats off to those of you who are still in the profession. One thing is for sure, it is not the money. I made a lot more as a civilian before I was in law enforcement. It is that we all like to think that we can some how make a difference. And is some small way... each of us has. In Texas we have a strong brotherhood, it is something that those of you in this business know what I mean. Regardless of what city or state, when a fellow officer goes down, we all feel it. I remember when I was a kid, we respected the law. Where did that go?
Former Texas Cop

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2007

Also, I cannot imagine being an Officer in California without wearing a vest everyday. It was mandatory with the Austin Police Department. Also, I thought there was some Federal requirement that mandated all police cruisers be equipped with in-car camera systems. Anyone know the story here? Does CHP have cameras in all of their cars?
NO LOVE LOST

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2007

While I have the utmost respect for honest good peace officers, the HPs on the other hand are just a bunch of tax collectors with guns roaming our roads.

I do feel sad for the family members left behind but I have zero tears for the victims because of all the hurt they have caused with BS tickets.

Put yourself in the community's shoes and you'll feel the same.
NO LOVE LOST

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2007

JDJ wrote:
California Highway Patrol are also known as CHP. Everyday, they put their life on the line to protect the California highways. Some CHPs are not so lucky, and are shot and killed while doing a routine stop. This leaves their families and friends in great devastation and sadness. In every CHP car, there should be some type of video equipment, which gives live feed back to the police station. As well, every CHP should be required to wear bulletproof vests. The taxpayers should be willing to pay for the camera and bulletproof vests.
A video camera that gives live feedback to the station can help the CHP officer in many ways. The video camera gives a good look on what kind of vehicle the station can tell CHP officers to look for and what is happening to the officer. If the officer pulls over a car, and is shot, the police station can see the identity of the person who shot the officer and thus put out a manhunt. In addition, the station can call immediate medical help to help the CHP in need.
Bulletproof vest should be required, so that every Highway Patrol officer is wearing it while on duty. The bulletproof vest helps protect the officers in everyway to help keep the officer alive. There may have been a lower number of CHP officers killed, if they were required to wear bulletproof vests.
These two things could be paid with the taxpayers’ money. Taxpayers should be willing to pay extra money to help save lives of CHP officers, who put themselves in danger to keep taxpayers safe.
CHP officers should not be killed while on the line of duty, and should be protected in everyway. Since there are a low number of people wanting to become High Way officers because of recent shootings, the camera and vests should increase the number of CHP officers in the community. The bulletproof vests and camera are just two ways, which should protect the officers, and the love ones that can be left behind.
Don't risk your life for bull**** stops then. Pull over the DUIs and unsafe fools weaving between cars in traffic, let the safe drivers go.
NO LOVE LOST

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2007

Second Thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
Show a little respect for those who, every day, put their lives on the line to protect you.
Put your life on something that matters, not bs traffic stops. Get a different job.
JJJ

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2007

Why are you blaming our Police Force because of dumb A-- that want to ruin everyone elses way of life or end it, sometimes these deaths could be prevented if friends and family members would turn in the unruly JackA--s that have a behavior problem that they are aware of, and probably brag about it. P.S. guns dont kill people idiots that use them kills people. Police Officers have to wear guns to protect them and us from idiots.if you do not feel sorry for the Police Officer losing his life well then you are possible an idiot!!!!!!!!!!
Shaun

Visalia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2007

Former Texas Cop wrote:
Also, I cannot imagine being an Officer in California without wearing a vest everyday. It was mandatory with the Austin Police Department. Also, I thought there was some Federal requirement that mandated all police cruisers be equipped with in-car camera systems. Anyone know the story here? Does CHP have cameras in all of their cars?
$ounds to me like you are a damn $nitch

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Visalia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 19 min Donny B 7,922
Accosted Pastor Bob Grenier (Jan '14) 6 hr Who 41
OpenCarry and Protests 6 hr Who 7
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 14 hr blasters 200,565
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 23 hr matches lighters 15,961
HealthCare Reform- Obama is the first to try. ... Mon Who 4
Visalia man dies in motorcycle accident (Feb '12) Mon bubbz 9

Search the Visalia Forum:
•••
•••
Visalia Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Visalia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000