Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters

Supporters of Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul wrestled a woman to the ground and one stepped on her head after she tried to confront the candidate in Kentucky. Full Story
Pale Rider

AOL

#23431 Aug 5, 2012
Some Tidbits:

Korean-Owned StarKist Tuna Says 'No' To FDA

by Dan Flynn | Mar 09, 2011

After crossing 3,400 miles of the Pacific Ocean last year to inspect a tuna cannery on American Samoa, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspector asked for copies of some records from the StarKist Co.

"Charlie the Tuna," the company's half-century old cartoon character, might have shown the man some "good taste," but nobody from StarKist Co. would show the FDA employee the records.

StarKist, once a unit of San Francisco-based Del Monte Foods, is now owned by South Korea's Dongwon Industries. The title papers for Pittsburgh-based StarKist went to Dongwon two years ago for $363 million. Dongwon F&B was already the world's largest canned tuna business, but it wanted StarKist as a vehicle to make inroads into the U.S. market.

Did you know StarKist was owned by a company in Korea?
Pale Rider

AOL

#23432 Aug 5, 2012
Apple Loves America

even as it outsources more of its labor overseas.

Why Apple builds iPhones (and everything else) in China
President Obama reportedly once asked Steve Jobs what it would take to make iPhones in the U.S. Jobs' response wasn't encouraging...
posted on January 23, 2012, at 12:07 PM
An assembly line in Shenzhen: China has created an "unparalleled system for taking something from idea to reality faster and easier than any place on the planet," says Sarah Lacy at PandoDaily. Photo: Qilai Shen/In Pictures/CorbisSEE ALL 68 PHOTOS

Should Apple and its rivals make their gadgets in the U.S.?
Yes. American companies have a moral obligation to hire American workers
They should. But they'll need Uncle Sam's help.
No. U.S. manufacturers just can't compete with their global rivals.
No. Businesses exist to make profits, not to act as job-creation programs.
When President Obama famously dined with a handful of Silicon Valley titans a year ago, he had a question for Apple chief Steve Jobs, say Charles Duhigg and Keith Bradsher in The New York Times: What would it take to make iPhones in the United States? Jobs' answer was unambiguous and sobering: "Those jobs aren't coming back." Now, in a lengthy story, Duhigg and Bradsher explain — based on conversations with executives at Apple and its tech rivals, economists, and government officials — why Apple and just about every player in the consumer-electronics universe has all but given up on "Made in the USA." Here, a concise look at the secret to China's success:

What does China have that America lacks?
Quite a lot. China has more mid-level engineers, a more flexible workforce, and gigantic factories that can ramp up production at the drop of a hat. China also offers tech firms a one-stop solution. "The entire supply chain is in China now," a former high-ranking Apple executive tells The Times. "You need a thousand rubber gaskets? That's the factory next door. You need a million screws? That factory is a block away. You need that screw made a little bit different? It will take three hours."

It's not just about cheaper wages?
No. Wages actually aren't that big a part of the cost of making consumer electronics, according to The Times. Paying American wages to build iPhones would add only about $65 to the retail price of each handset, according to analysts' estimates. That's an amount Apple could likely afford. And in fact, China no longer offers rock-bottom wages. But when it did, it used that window "to innovate the entire way supply chains work," says Sarah Lacy at PandoDaily. China is now "a place other countries can beat on sheer cost, but not on speed, flexibility, and know-how."

What does China's competitive edge look like in practice?
One example from The Times article: When Jobs decided just a month before the iPhone hit markets to replace a scratch-prone plastic screen with a glass one, a Foxconn factory in China woke up about 8,000 workers when the glass screens arrived at midnight, and the workers were assembling 10,000 iPhones a day within 96 hours. Another example: Apple had originally estimated that it would take nine months to hire the 8,700 qualified industrial engineers needed to oversee production of the iPhone; in China, it took 15 days. Anecdotes like that leave you "feeling almost impressed by the no-holds-barred capabilities of these manufacturing plants," says Edward Moyer at CNET News, "impressed and queasy at the same time."
Pale Rider

AOL

#23433 Aug 5, 2012
thought I would pull a name out of the list.

Thomasville

Is a lot of Thomasville's Furnture made in China?

During a big furniture move in our house about a week ago I discovered our huge, very expensive and beautiful piece of Thomasville we bought 2 years ago, is made in China. The Sales woman stood right there and said all Thomasville is made in North Carolina. For as much as it cost us, who were my wife and I to doubt her word and I think she beleaved herself. However, I will wager the owner of the store, who was standing right there knew better. I am so upset by this. Yes its big, heavy and beautiful but it is made in China. What a huge let down.

So to make sure this is a question and not a warning to other furniture buyers, why would they do this? Why can there not be at least some sort of company out there that still has pride in what they sell and not make the bottom line more important? Maybe they need to stop putting so much money into those name dropping adds and start using their plant in America again.

Do you think I hit the nail on the head about our jobs and what real people think. I never made up the list.
Pale Rider

AOL

#23434 Aug 5, 2012
Pfizer - Watch those PILLS AMERICA

Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc said it will expand its research and development team in China and is exploring possible collaboration with Chinese research outfits as it seeks to tap the country's vast talent pool and emergence as a major market .

The company, which moved its regional emerging markets headquarters for Asia to Shanghai from Hong Kong last year, has a total of about 600 researchers in Beijing, Shanghai and Wuhan.

There has to be more then this about Pfizer

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2011/12 ...
Pale Rider

AOL

#23435 Aug 5, 2012
Dell Computers

Dell Computer headquarters are located in Round Rock, Texas. However Dell Computers are made at several different plants. Manufacturing plants are located in Austin, Texas; Winston-Salem, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; Eldorado du Sol, Brazil; Penang, Malazia; Xiamen, China; and Limerick, Ireland. Dell ships about 140,000 computer systems each day.

Thanks Dell

We can't make all of them here? Thanks Dell, Thanks A lot.

Pick out a company, any company on the list. Tell us about them, have at it. Millions upon Millions of jobs folks, outsourced. GONE Why don't we dump everyone of them. We are a stupid country, to let the RICH people do this to AMERICA
Pale Rider

AOL

#23436 Aug 5, 2012
Catepillar

China Crushes Caterpillar

11,000 Jobs in China
- Read On until you are sick
and we buy these damn products everyday here in America. We should drop everyone of them.

16 manufacturing facilities in China and nine more under construction. It employs 11,000 there and plans to double the number by 2015. There are four independent dealers employing another 10,000 people.

China is not a huge part of our business,” said Caterpillar’s Mike DeWalt late last month. The head of investor relations, on a conference call, was right: China, the world’s largest market for construction machines, accounts for just 3% of the revenues for the company, the world’s largest manufacturer of them.
DeWalt had every reason to downplay the importance of the Chinese market. Caterpillar missed first-quarter revenue estimates as China sales plunged. Q1 sales in that country fell by $250 million to $300 million.
Cat looks like it was caught completely by surprise by problems in the Chinese market. As late as the end of January, its senior officers were still gung ho China. Said Ed Rapp, president and chief financial officer, then,“In China, we are going after market share in a big way.”
Rapp was telling the truth. The company has 16 manufacturing facilities in China and nine more under construction. It employs 11,000 there and plans to double the number by 2015. There are four independent dealers employing another 10,000 people. And as a sign of the importance of China to Cat, the company based for the first time a group president in Asia. Richard Lavin, in charge of three global machinery businesses (excavation, earth moving, and building construction products), has just relocated to Hong Kong.
The company’s Q1 earnings release predicts that China sales will be down for the year, a sharp reversal from initial forecasts of 5% to 10% growth, yet the slowdown has not yet affected Cat’s general outlook. As DeWalt noted, the company will not cancel expansion plans but may slow them if the need arises.
Pale Rider

AOL

#23437 Aug 5, 2012
John Deere

2011 News Releases and Information

Deere Announces New China Factory for Large Agricultural Equipment

MOLINE, Illinois (May 18, 2011)– Deere & Company said today it will build a new manufacturing facility in northeast China to support the increased demand for large agricultural products in the region. The factory will build mid- and large-sized tractors, sprayers, planters and harvesting equipment. Deere said its initial outlay for the project is approximately $80 million.
Pale Rider

AOL

#23438 Aug 5, 2012
HOUSE CALL WITH DR. SANJAY GUPTA

China exporting Drugs into USA

50 percent of the ingredients for prescription
Medications Made in China;

Do You Know Your Health
Insurance Plan?; Ways to Beat On-the Job Stress

Aired October 13, 2007 - 08:30 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

DR. SANJAY GUPTA, CNN HOST: Thanks guys, this is "HOUSE CALL." We'll making a round to some of the most intriguing medical stories of the week.
First up, your medications may be made in China, but are there hidden dangers in your drugs than HMO or PPO or POS, what's about -- that's health insurance for you? If you can't quit, we'll tell you great ways to beat on-the-job stress.

Let's get started though with that made in China label. This time it's on drugs. You may not know it, but the Communist state has been exporting huge amounts of pharmaceuticals into the United States.

KITTY PILGRIM, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice over): Compliments of China, poisoned pet food, hazardous toys, toxic toothpaste and now medications. Thousands of manufacturers in China supply about 50 percent of the ingredients for prescription and over-the-counter drugs made by pharmaceutical companies in the United States.

DARRELL ABERNETHY, U.S. PHARMACOPIA: They simply assemble the end of the final drug product and that's what goes into the market. The drug manufacturer oftentimes really doesn't know either where many of those materials have come from.

PILGRIM: U.S. lawmakers are worried there is virtually no oversight of drugs used by Americans every day.
Pale Rider

AOL

#23439 Aug 5, 2012
American Greetings

Take a moment to read! I promise it will be worth it.

American Greetings–“Made in China”
I was out purchasing some greeting cards today at the place I hate to shop at the most, Wal-Mart, because here in the town of Boonville, MO we really don’t have a lot of choices. Normally I’d hit up Hallmark in Columbia, MO where I work, but today was a work from home day and since I had friend with a birthday coming up Saturday, I needed to get a card for them quickly.

Wal-Mart carries “American Greetings”– and, as the name suggests, I was expecting them to be quality cards Made in the USA. After all, American Greetings has been around for quite a while – not quite as well-known as Hallmark, but still they carry quite a selection and variety. Imagine my surprise when the cards all revealed they were “MADE IN CHINA”.

I was disgusted to say the least. I looked over many cards – and every one of them was stamped “MADE IN CHINA” on the back. I couldn’t believe it – how much money could they possibly be saving by printing cards in China versus America? Whatever the savings were, they certainly wasn’t passing it on to the consumer – the cards were all $4.00 and up!

Determined I was not going to support a company that ships American jobs overseas I threw down the cards and left. I then made a special trip to Hallmark in Columbia, MO and found plenty of cards still made here in the good old USA. Sure, I spent more money in gas than I saved, but I stood by my principles.

The funny part is, the cards that were made in the USA – they were cheaper!$2.50 versus $4.00 for “Made in China”. So much for all that savings, huh?

How will the economy in this country ever get better if companies such American Greetings keep outsourcing every job they can? And when they do outsource there is ZERO SAVINGS for the consumer – in fact, we end up paying more. That money goes right into their corporate pockets. They apparently never heard of this guy called Henry Ford who was famous for saying that he had to pay his workers a good wage, otherwise how would they ever be able to afford to buy his cars?

Thanks for reading, a lot to think about.

Pale Rider
Pale Rider

AOL

#23440 Aug 5, 2012
Walmart - You might try another Company after you read this?

The Wal-Mart effect Its Chinese imports have displaced nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs

By Robert E. Scott | June 25, 2007

China’s entry into the World Trade Organization (WTO) was supposed to improve the U.S. trade deficit with China and create good jobs in the United States. But those promises have gone unfulfilled: the total U.S. trade deficit with China reached $235 billion in 2006. Between 2001 and 2006, this growing deficit eliminated 1.8 million U.S. jobs (Scott 2007). The world’s biggest retailer, U.S.-based Wal-Mart was responsible for $27 billion in U.S. imports from China in 2006 and 11% of the growth of the total U.S. trade deficit with China between 2001 and 2006. Wal-Mart’s trade deficit with China alone eliminated nearly 200,000 U.S. jobs in this period.

The manufacturing sector and its workers were hardest hit by the growth of Wal-Mart’s imports. Wal-Mart’s increased trade deficit with China eliminated 133,000 manufacturing jobs, 68% of those jobs lost from Wal-Mart’s imports. Jobs in the manufacturing sector pay higher wages and provide better benefits than most other industries, especially for workers with less than a college education.

China has achieved its rapidly growing trade surpluses by purchasing more than $1 trillion in U.S. Treasury bills and other government securities over the past few years in order to artificially and illegally reduce the value of its currency and thereby lower the cost of its exports to the United States and other countries. It has also repressed the labor rights of its workers and suppressed their wages, making its products artificially cheap and further subsidizing its exports. Wal-Mart has aided China’s abuse of labor rights and its violations of internally recognized norms of fair trade behavior by providing a vast and growing conduit for the distribution of artificially cheap and subsidized Chinese exports to the United States.

China trade and U.S. job loss

Exports support jobs in the United States, and imports displace them. However, an increase in exports will not support the creation of new jobs if, for example, a domestic firm exports parts that used to be shipped to a domestic auto assembly plant, and those products are used to build cars that are then sent back to the United States.1 Thus, the net effect of trade flows on employment must be based on an analysis of the trade balance. This Issue Brief calculates the employment impacts of growing trade deficits by using an input-output model that estimates the direct and indirect labor requirements of producing output in a given domestic industry. The model includes 200 U.S. industries, 86 of which are in the manufacturing sector.2

The model estimates the labor that would be required to produce a given volume of exports, and the labor that is displaced when a given volume of imports is substituted for domestic output.3 The job losses presented here represent an estimate of what total employment levels would have been in the absence of growing trade deficits.4

U.S. exports to China in 2001 supported 189,000 jobs, but U.S. imports displaced production that would have supported 1,190,000 jobs, as shown in the bottom half of Table 1. Therefore, the $84.1 billion trade deficit in 2001 displaced 1 million jobs in that year. Job displacement rose to 2,763,000 in 2006. Growth in trade deficits with China has reduced demand for goods produced in every region of the United States and has led to job displacement in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

The more you read, the worse it gets for America. I never knew it was this way until I started looking on the Internet at a tiny bit about each company.

I use to throw barbs at Blue. But Blue told me this:

I never go in a WALMART. Here the USA made that family billionaires, what do they do? They take millions of jobs away from America. Sorry Folks. I am shopping somewhere else.

Pale Rider

“Dewey Beats Truman!”

Since: Apr 12

Here

#23441 Aug 5, 2012
tldr
wtf

Richmond, KY

#23443 Aug 7, 2012
Good Call Pale Rider.

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#23444 Aug 7, 2012
A little girl said, "Grandpa, can I sit on your lap?

"Why sure you can," her grandfather replied.

As she sat on her grandfather's lap she said, "Grandpa, can you make a sound like a frog?"

"A sound like a frog? Well, sure Grandpa can make a sound like a frog."

The girl said, "Grandpa, will you please, please make a sound like a frog?"

Perplexed, her grandfather said, "Sweetheart, why do you want me to make a sound like a frog?"

And the little girl said, "Because Grandma said that when you croak, we're going to Florida!"
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#23445 Aug 7, 2012
Sounds like the rethuglican't approach to health care, Little Steffan Louise Turd Blossom.... LMAOROTFu~!
wtf

Richmond, KY

#23446 Aug 7, 2012
BIG_STEVIE wrote:
A little girl said, "Grandpa, can I sit on your lap?
"Why sure you can," her grandfather replied.
As she sat on her grandfather's lap she said, "Grandpa, can you make a sound like a frog?"
"A sound like a frog? Well, sure Grandpa can make a sound like a frog."
The girl said, "Grandpa, will you please, please make a sound like a frog?"
Perplexed, her grandfather said, "Sweetheart, why do you want me to make a sound like a frog?"
And the little girl said, "Because Grandma said that when you croak, we're going to Florida!"
Stew turd blows.
Homeland Insecurity

Abingdon, VA

#23447 Aug 7, 2012
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>Stew turd blows.
ATTENTION wtf!

This is what; ‘we’ The Republican Party intend to do in November!
A. Replace Obama.
B. Take the Senate and oust Harry Reid.
C. Gain in the House and Impeach Nancy Pelosi.
D. Make you our ‘Poster Bum’ and get you off the draw and into gainful employment! And maybe some electro-shock therapy.
Blue

Benton, KY

#23448 Aug 7, 2012
lol this is to funny
shewwww

Falls Of Rough, KY

#23449 Aug 7, 2012
Homeland Insecurity wrote:
<quoted text>
ATTENTION wtf!
This is what; ‘we’ The Republican Party intend to do in November!
A. Replace Obama.
B. Take the Senate and oust Harry Reid.
C. Gain in the House and Impeach Nancy Pelosi.
D. Make you our ‘Poster Bum’ and get you off the draw and into gainful employment! And maybe some electro-shock therapy.
Then finally all out troubles will be over. Just like every other time repubs have had control. I cant wait.
Homeland Insecurity

Abingdon, VA

#23450 Aug 7, 2012
shewwww wrote:
<quoted text>
Then finally all out troubles will be over. Just like every other time repubs have had control. I cant wait.
You won't have to wait long!
Mittack Obamney

Cadiz, KY

#23451 Aug 7, 2012
Keep up the good fight there, Jim! It's a never ending source of amusement for me and the boys to see you people fighting over which one of me gets "elected" this time around. We especially like the little 4 point list of things "you" (the Republican Party, hahaha..that's hysterical)intend to do come November. As if it makes any difference who's running that sideshow. Keep on voting like you people matter! It's good to be me!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vine Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kroger on Dolphin 22 min uir 5
Crossfit Gyms in Etown 26 min member 26
Do you approve of Tim C. Walker as Mayor? (Feb '13) 1 hr Juan Valdez 37
Hardin County Attorney, staff honored for work ... 1 hr Honored_yea_ok 1
KSP John Ward - Will he hire 2 FIRED Trooper Pe... (Feb '14) 4 hr Lawless One 287
jessica, don, michelle 5 hr stephanie 14
pregnant 14 hr needworklastnight 1
Vine Grove Dating
Find my Match

Vine Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Vine Grove News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Vine Grove

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:17 pm PST