Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS2

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Comments
1 - 20 of 48,928 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
First Prev
of 2447
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

I wonder how long it'll take the Neo-Nazi Far Right Christians to mobilize against this? It's just letting gays be married, what's the big freaking deal? I'm straight, and see no harm to society.

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Gay Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
We just want what you already have. Simple, really.
As an emotionally stable straight person, I agree.

I'm sure in 50 years our children will look back and say things like, "remember back in the stone age when they wouldn't let gay men and women be married?"

The 'go smell farts' response above is both full of hatred and insecurity.
Enough

Elmhurst, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Never thought so in the past but think so now. The media is DEFINITELY liberal.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

crook county fix wrote:
(still nothing worth repeating)
Like I said before, your emotionally stunted, maturity deprived and mentally challenged rantings only serve to prove the righteousness of our cause. Thanks for all your help.
Joi Boi

Lowell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

crook county fix wrote:
how did the drunk know he stumble into a gay bar?
IDK my little crook county fix...can you please tell me honey???
Heywood Jablome

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Great!!!!!
Did It Hurt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Saluki Rod wrote:
<quoted text>
As an emotionally stable straight person, I agree.
I'm sure in 50 years our children will look back and say things like, "remember back in the stone age when they wouldn't let gay men and women be married?"
The 'go smell farts' response above is both full of hatred and insecurity.
It will be interesting to see what the divorce rate will be. That will be another right that they will get to enjoy too!
Homophobes R Todays Nazis

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

"Did it Hurt" -- the divorce rate is much lower among gay married couples than it is among straight ones. They also do a better job of nourishing and educating their children. Gays commit fewer crimes, and are far less likely to abuse their children.
Get your facts straight, or just keep on hating blindly. Your choice.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Did It Hurt wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be interesting to see what the divorce rate will be. That will be another right that they will get to enjoy too!
The divorce rate is likely to be very low for same-sex couples, at least initially. The vast majority of those same-sex couples getting married (which by the way is NOT what Illinois just approved) are those who have been together for 10-20+ years already, so they are less likely to get divorced than the average straight couple who just met in Vegas and got drunk and decided to get a quicky marriage.

After a few decades I imagine the same-sex divorce rate will be about the same as opposite-sex divorce.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

i have a lesbian friend who i promised to be her best man or what ever when she gets married. happy things are starting to progress

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

LIVE AND LET LIVE!! My god we only get one life, love who you want! Im straight ,married 27 years, all straight children from this union. But if one would at anytime tell me they were gay,,, this would be my response...

Well son or daughter,, doesnt it feel good to let that out!
..........followed up with.......

have you found someone that makes you happy!

Love the people ,,,,, you dont have to love their choices!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Second conversation,,, this one to the governor,,,, wth happened with medical pot bill?????????? You need to get on that!
Just Saying

Monroeville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Did It Hurt wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point...Marry who you want, but make divorce illegal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

-YUM- wrote:
LIVE AND LET LIVE!! My god we only get one life, love who you want! Im straight ,married 27 years, all straight children from this union. But if one would at anytime tell me they were gay,,, this would be my response...
Well son or daughter,, doesnt it feel good to let that out!
..........followed up with.......
have you found someone that makes you happy!
Love the people ,,,,, you dont have to love their choices!
i was at a poker game at my friends house when his daughter came out to everyone there, i didnt want to breath, but he was calm and told her how brave she was for telling him and he loved her, after wards i said wow you took that pretty well. he looked at me and said why what did you hear? well your daughter just said she was a lesbian. no no no! what i heard was, daddy there is no way in hell some young punk is gonna knock me up
bad idea

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>If you really are an emotionally stunted, maturity deprived, mentally challenged 12 year-old, I'll apologize for what I'm thinking about you right now, but if not... Your original post and your response to the poster who replied to you, demonstrates the lack of intellect and reason we're up against and proves once and for all the need for equal treatment and respect under the law for Lesbian and Gay Americans. Ranting idiotic bigots such as yourself serve to prove the righteousness of our cause, keep up the good work.
Join the blacks, they blame other people for their dissatisfaction in life as well. "Everyone just wants things to be fair." Well, reality check, life isn't fair. Also, think about it like this. How will civilization continue to exist with there becoming more and more gays? Last time I checked, a dude can't get another dude pregnant. Don't gay people, men in particular, have a drastically increased risk of aids? Yes they do. Isn't that expensive to treat? Yes it is. Don't most people with aids not have health care? Well, yes. Who pays for their treatments then? The taxpayer. Oh, well its seems to me the american taxpayer should be up in arms because in a round about way, this will only cost them more. It's also un-natural for a child to be reared by gay's. That is already putting them behind the 8 ball to start their life. Kids are cruel, so why would you want to subject a kid to anymore cruelty? The list goes on and on as to why this is a bad idea. Just my opinion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

first of all reared by gays. lol
People are morons

Darien, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

When did you decide to be straight? I thought so. We are all human and we all should have equal rights.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

gay men are no more prone to aids then the average hetro couple that has anal sex. thats the price you pay when you have anal sex. if there were legal civil unions then gay couples could share medical insurance eliminating tax payer costs.

its all a timing issue. some of us are ready to move forward with life some arent

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

r_a_n_d_o_m wrote:
<quoted text>
i was at a poker game at my friends house when his daughter came out to everyone there, i didnt want to breath, but he was calm and told her how brave she was for telling him and he loved her, after wards i said wow you took that pretty well. he looked at me and said why what did you hear? well your daughter just said she was a lesbian. no no no! what i heard was, daddy there is no way in hell some young punk is gonna knock me up
HAHAHAHA Funny!
Just Saying

Monroeville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

bad idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Join the blacks, they blame other people for their dissatisfaction in life as well. "Everyone just wants things to be fair." Well, reality check, life isn't fair. Also, think about it like this. How will civilization continue to exist with there becoming more and more gays? Last time I checked, a dude can't get another dude pregnant. Don't gay people, men in particular, have a drastically increased risk of aids? Yes they do. Isn't that expensive to treat? Yes it is. Don't most people with aids not have health care? Well, yes. Who pays for their treatments then? The taxpayer. Oh, well its seems to me the american taxpayer should be up in arms because in a round about way, this will only cost them more. It's also un-natural for a child to be reared by gay's. That is already putting them behind the 8 ball to start their life. Kids are cruel, so why would you want to subject a kid to anymore cruelty? The list goes on and on as to why this is a bad idea. Just my opinion.
You were okay with just "life isn't fair" part. Everyone is born with an equal opportunity to become unequal.

However, then you went on, and ruined your stance on the issue by babbling nonsense.

1)Gays can't reproduce- while this is true, there are literally thousands of children that have been brought into the world by straight people that have been orphaned and/or abused. I, for one, would much rather have an innocent child brought up in a loving environment with two caring parents, than to leave the child in an unloving and uncaring environment where it is doomed to fail before being given an adequate chance at life.

2)Gays will cost society more money, due to an increased chance of AIDS- All right, the huge AIDS/HIV fear argument was very popular in the 90's, before people were required to have the in-depth sex education courses we have now. AIDS is spread when people engage in sexual acts with partners that either aren't informed of their partner having AIDS, which is illegal, and/or improper usage of the proper preventative measures. AIDS exists in society, sure, however, it is not exclusive to the gay community, nor should it be used as leverage against homosexuals. You make it sound as though being gay puts you at higher risk to be infected, which is untrue. Having sex with an HIV positive partner, puts you at a higher risk. Being gay does not handicap the judgment of an individual to engage in safe sex. If you're trying to use the anal sex argument, well, I'm afraid that as of 2010, more straight couples are engaging in anal activities than ever before, and, therefore, we're all at higher risk.

3) Children will be socially handicapped for having gay parents-
The reason that children are currently teased for having gay parents, is because straight parents and religious zealots tend to spout off at the mouth about how it is "wrong" or "immoral" for gays to be together. Most children don't have any concept of why being gay is wrong, they've simply been told that it's wrong, and go on believing that that must make it wrong. As gays become less discriminated against, the traditional outlook that being gay makes someone inferior will work its way out of society, and stop being an issue for children. If parents think it's wrong to be gay, that's fine, but don't plant a seed of hate in an innocent child when the only defense you have against gays is that they are different, and so you don't like them.

*Disclaimer: I am a young, straight, married male. This is purely my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2447
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Villa Park Discussions

Search the Villa Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 4 hr Forum 12
Police Blotter (Jun '10) 11 hr Sam 21
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 13 hr newpoly 1,864
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 18 hr Chicagobunny 527
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Sat All better now 3,835
Fast food workers prepare to escalate wage demands Fri TedsLiver 7
shooting on 11th avnue Jul 25 WILDBILL 11
•••
•••
•••
•••

Villa Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Villa Park People Search