Illinois Senate approves ban on smoking in public places

Mar 30, 2007 Full story: Journal-Gazette 70

“We spend billions of dollars of taxpayers' money in health care”

All restaurants and bars across Illinois would have to go smoke-free under legislation approved Thursday by the state Senate. via Journal-Gazette

Full Story
Sue

Macungie, PA

#28 Apr 29, 2007
Wake up smell the coffee wrote:
Gotta say Thank you IL for joioning OH, MI,TX, NY, DC, CA, NC, FL, WI, NJ, MD, PA and all the rest of the states for either enacting a smoking ban or seriously working towards one.
FYI Pa does not have a smoking ban. Philadelphia and Scranton does however.
Also, The northeastern part of the state is going very well without a state imposed smoking ban. Many businesses are making decisions on their own without the state (big brother) telling them how to run them. Quite a few in this area are going "smoke free" on their own.
That is a giant step to show other states, that it CAN be done without dictatorship, which results in the small business owner able to keep his lively hood.
There are many choices in this area. No bickering, or loss of income. Freedom of choice. This is what this country is all about. When purchasing something
in the state you reside in is legal, it is still about choice, albeit with certain limitations. Just as most things are. It just shouldn't be regulated by government when it is still considered "legal". It is about what the businesses decide in order to make a living. We as a people can then decide what business to frequent.
Sue

Macungie, PA

#29 Apr 29, 2007
Tommy wrote:
Just wondering, have our great legislators banned smoking in their workplace?
To answer your question, yes and no. The speaker of the house informed congress that there would no longer be smoking allowed in the lounge.
However, they could go out on the balcony AND smoke in their offices! Isn't that a hoot.
Sue

Macungie, PA

#30 Apr 29, 2007
Krista B wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so you know:
This is not an argument about preference
or comfort--secondhand smoke is a pollutant that causes serious health risks to those exposed.
It's not about the smell or the annoyance of having someone else's cigarette smoke blowing in your face when you're trying to enjoy a drink or a meal--although that is a good argument on its own. You can't argue with the facts--secondhand smoke is dangerous for ANYONE'S health.
.You are correct about one thing. This is not about preference. If you are truly concerned about the health issue, you should realize, there are FAR more toxins that are much more harmful. You have to look at the big picture, without having tunnel vision. If you ever viewed the movie "Erin Brockovich" (sp) you would agree. This could (and does) happen to all of us everyday. The difference is, most of the time it is not caught or publically outted.

My question to you is simply this. If you
are so very concerned about the air we ALL
breath, and the status of your lungs, would you agree that all of the toxins that are released in the air (most unable to see or smell) should be of cause to all of us? An example would be,(but not limited to) ground zero in NYC. Many years have passed, and the "powers that be" declared that the air was safe to breath.
Not only on the site, but the surrounding
area. Many people found out the hard way that just wasn't true. Thousands have been inflicated with lung disease due to this. Many of those have died. There is no help for these people, many of whom were first responders. Their insurance ran out and have lost everything trying to stay alive. Literally. I do not have the figures, however, many have succumbed because of this. This is the same government that is giving you the "facts". Taxpayers money was not spent trying to help those afflicted (i.e. taxes imposed on tobacco). If you want to ask me how I know all of this? I will tell you. My husband was there. Count the sticks. He is one of them.
This is the same government that tells you what YOU want to hear today. Tomorrow may be different if it will save them a buck. Breath, but not too deep my friend. Just my opinion
shana wagner

Quincy, IL

#31 Apr 30, 2007
i think the ban is a great thing because when im around smoke i start to gag and i have to leave the room. i want to be able to be with my family and not start gagging.
MRab2

UK

#32 Apr 30, 2007
Krista B wrote:
It's smokers like you who are selfish and care only about your "right" to smoke--not others' right to breathe clean air.
There is no right to smoker, nor any right to clean. There IS a right for the owner to decide for himself whether he allowed smoking on his premises. It is THAT right that is being eliminated.
In case you don't know, ANYONE who is exposed to secondhand smoke for ANY period of time is harmfully affected and exposed to much of the same health risks as smokers.
That would be a lie. Smoke doesn't have magical properties and harm done is a factor of the dosage of the toxins you recieve. For example, cigarette smoke contains cyanide, but then so does tap water. A single glass of tap water has roughly 200,000 times more cyanide than a cigarette does.
That means you ingest more cyanide by brushing your teeth with tap water than you do standing in a smoky bar all night.
Apparently you've bought the anti-lie of no minimum safe level, despite it running contrary to everything we know about biology.
Smoke has 4000 chemicals in it!
Yeah well, your monring coffee, made with your cyanide laden tap water has 1000 chemicals in it as well, a lot of them toxic, including herbicides and pesticides. The bottom line is you're subjected to 10s of thousands of chemicals each and every day - without going anywhere near a smoker and a great many of them would prove fatal is the dosage was high enough.
Stop getting your information from soundbites.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#33 Apr 30, 2007
GoneFishing wrote:
<quoted text>
People are too busy using their tunnel vision logic to understand that this is all setting the precidence needed for other bans that will be following in the next several years. You're laughing now cause you got to gore someone elses ox. I'll bet you and all the non-smokers will be screaming from the mountain tops about your "rights" when it's your turn, and eventually it WILL be your turn.
AS usual our country makes billions if not more on a horrible product, then tries to ban it. Only because now they have to pay for all the illnesses smoking has caused on the oldies but goodies & baby boomers? Alcoholism, drug addiction, smoking, gluttony...ban them all in my opinion. Health costs will decrease GREATLY! Heres a thought; people need that extra something to keep their nerves quiet or energy to go thru life? Put them on pills!
dave from NY

United States

#34 Apr 30, 2007
Welcome to the no smoke zone.
Joe

Hazelwood, MO

#35 May 1, 2007
Great!

I live in IL and just heard the news. I used to smoke, but 'tried' to be very conscious of those around me who might not want to breathe toxic fumes. Now that I made the decision to quit, I really look forward to the ban because of the annoyance factor...I like fresh air. I think this smoking ban is more of a public health issue than a rights issue. People can still smoke themselves to death, but the damage they do to the public at large will be drastically limited.

As far as bars losing business...that is just crazy in my opinion. People that like to drink and socialize will not suddenly stay home every weekend because of the smoking ban, at least not after the initial knee-jerk "f-this" reaction to the law. Some folks who are on the fence about quitting might even have an easier time of it, too, since they can go out without breathing clouds of smoke all night and being constantly reminded of the addiction they are trying to give up.

I would have never supported this sort of thing if I had not observed it in FL, but I saw how it worked down there and experienced how nice it was (I smoked at the time) and decided it wasn't so bad after all.

It is a positive step for public health, regarding second-hand smoke as well as reducing smoking in general.

As far as this being a slippery slope to more restrictive legislation, I cannot think of anything the government could make illegal that I care about...possession of marijuana is already a crime, and this sort of thing has little to do with things like gun laws.

Hooray for a healthier state!
Maddie

Platteville, WI

#36 May 1, 2007
I think smokers have the right to smoke 100 feet from the building and not any closer.

I have witnessed what smoking can do to people in public places. My sister had an asthma attack at the age of two sitting in a restaurant with one smoker. We didn't know that it would bother her that much. It wasn't too much fun watching your sister start turning purple speeding to the emergency room.

People who smoke in public places are selfish that's all it comes down to.

If your going to kill yourself slowly don't kill me or my family.
Maddie

Platteville, WI

#37 May 1, 2007
I think people should stop saying that businesses will lose money.

From what I understand more people will go out with there families and friends to restaurants because of the ban.

"No smoking section is like a no peeing section in a pool."
Maddie

Platteville, WI

#38 May 1, 2007
Sonia Dobey wrote:
It is ridiculous that we are going to FORCED not to smoke in a bar. I and a lot of people I have talked to, thing it is ridiculous to have someone tell you you cannot
smoke in a bar while you are having a drink.
I am not sure if these people think that we have a crib and play pen in the corner while we are having a drink for ours kids to sleep or entertain themselves.
WHAT IS A BAR??????????

If someone is uncomfortable with the smoke the doors are always unlocked and people can come and go as they please.
Does anyone think that we are putting a gun to anyone's head to stay in a bar and force them to inhale the cigarette smoke.
WHAT IS NEXT....WE CAN NOT SMOKE IN OUR HOUSE, OR YOU CAN'T SMOKE IF YOU HAVE KIDS??
Hey kill yourself slowly...doesn't matter to me. But once you see someone having an asthma attack due to one smoker in a diner. Maybe you will think twice. Have you ever had to watch your younger sister to make sure she is breathing and not turning purple? Ya it's not fun. Smoking is self centered plain and simple. You can argue all day that you belong inside smoking. But I can tell you once you go through that type of trauma. Almost seeing someone die due to one cigarette. It makes you think twice. Hope you understand where some people are coming from.
Steve Determan

AOL

#39 May 1, 2007
I live in Davenport Iowa will be making a few more trips to Illinois bars in 08 although Rock Island Illinois gives out DUIs like parking tickets it might influence more of us to consider the Illinois bars earlier in the evening. Rock Island has been getting killed by downtown Davenport this might be the thing that brings it back into competition. Half the bars in Rock Island are ready to close now anyway.
Bill Hannegan

United States

#40 May 1, 2007
Joe wrote:
Great!
I live in IL and just heard the news. I used to smoke, but 'tried' to be very conscious of those around me who might not want to breathe toxic fumes. Now that I made the decision to quit, I really look forward to the ban because of the annoyance factor...I like fresh air. I think this smoking ban is more of a public health issue than a rights issue. People can still smoke themselves to death, but the damage they do to the public at large will be drastically limited.
As far as bars losing business...that is just crazy in my opinion. People that like to drink and socialize will not suddenly stay home every weekend because of the smoking ban, at least not after the initial knee-jerk "f-this" reaction to the law. Some folks who are on the fence about quitting might even have an easier time of it, too, since they can go out without breathing clouds of smoke all night and being constantly reminded of the addiction they are trying to give up.
I would have never supported this sort of thing if I had not observed it in FL, but I saw how it worked down there and experienced how nice it was (I smoked at the time) and decided it wasn't so bad after all.
It is a positive step for public health, regarding second-hand smoke as well as reducing smoking in general.
As far as this being a slippery slope to more restrictive legislation, I cannot think of anything the government could make illegal that I care about...possession of marijuana is already a crime, and this sort of thing has little to do with things like gun laws.
Hooray for a healthier state!
The Illinois smoking ban will cause the most vulnerable Illinois nonsmokers, especialy young children, to breathe more secondhand smoke! I took the day off to warn the entire Illinois House of this. No Illinois Representative disputed my warning. Still they voted for the ban!

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm...
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/...
http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications.php...
http://www.esrc.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/about/CI...
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/smokingban
Bill Hannegan

United States

#41 May 1, 2007
If secondhand smoke is as toxic as the Surgeon General claims, Illinois children will die due to this ban!

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm...
MRab2

London, UK

#42 May 2, 2007
Yeah Bill, but it's the kids of SMOKERS who'll suffer, so who the hell cares?

Smokers, n*gg*rs for the 21st century
Sister Sue

Sparta, NJ

#43 May 2, 2007
By the way OSHA, the orginization that sets saftey standards for the work place. NEVER found the levels of Second Hand Somke high enough to ban it in the work place.

Below is OSHA's statement...

As for secondhand smoke in the air, OSHA has stated outright that:

"Field studies of environmental tobacco smoke indicate that under normal conditions, the components in tobacco smoke are diluted below existing Permissible Exposure Levels (PELS.) as referenced in the Air Contaminant Standard (29 CFR 1910.1000)...It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that any individual PEL would be exceeded."
-Letter From Greg Watchman, Acting Ass't Sec'y, OSHA, To Leroy J Pletten, PHD, July 8, 1997
Linda in Dixon

Covington, KY

#44 May 2, 2007
I am a non smoker.......I see many smokers sit in no smoking areas when they are in restaurants. Maybe they are telling us something????

Springfield, WI

#45 May 2, 2007
My dear Daddy came from a family of smokers. Eleven children to be exact! They are all dead from mainly heart disease brought on from their yrs of smoking. Unfortunately, my Daddy, too.
I grew up with parents who were smokers & probably inahled enough to be the culprit of Sarcoid, which both my brother & I suffered from. In remission now, thank God.

Since: Feb 07

Carlisle, PA

#46 May 2, 2007
sscupcake wrote:
I grew up with parents who were smokers & probably inahled enough to be the culprit of Sarcoid, which both my brother & I suffered from. In remission now, thank God.
Very sorry about the ailment that you and your brother suffer. However, IT IS NOT SMOKE RELATED:

"Sarcoidosis is a relatively rare autoimmune disease that can affect the skin, lungs, heart, brain and nervous system, eyes, and other organs. Although the disease was first recognized about 100 years ago, little is known about what causes it and there is no cure. As an autoimmune disease, sarcoidosis is similar to diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus in how it behaves and how it is treated.
Depending on the severity, treatment may be needed to control what sarcoidosis does. Sarcoidosis can go dormant on its own or with treatment, and its symptoms often do not recur after the initial onset. In a small percentage of cases, sarcoidosis is chronic, requiring on-going treatment, with possible occurrence in other organ systems. Chronic sarcoidosis is apparently cyclic in its activity level, with flares of symptoms and more dormant periods lasting weeks or months. No markers have been identified as indicating how sarcoidosis is going to behave in any individual or how an individual with sarcoidosis is going to respond to treatment, although a physician experienced with sarcoidosis may be able to make a "good guess" based on his or her experience. Whether he or she is willing to voice that guess is another story entirely!
Despite a century of research, little is known about sarcoidosis."

PLEASE NOTE: "Research has discovered what it is not. Among other things, it is not a cancer or tuberculosis or AIDS-related.

********It is not caused by pine pollen or other identifiable agents like pollution, airborne or otherwise.*********

It is not progressive or contagious. You did not get it from someone else and you cannot give it to another person. As far as we know, nothing you did specifically caused your sarcoidosis."

http://noairtogo.tripod.com/sarcoid.htm#What

Springfield, WI

#47 May 2, 2007
bdjunkere, thanks for the info, but recently they are considering environment being a cause. Think it is still a possibility under discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vernon Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr KiMare 50,046
Who do you support for State Senate in Illinois... (Oct '10) 18 hr Better than YOU 25
Photos: Round Lake Roller Rink (Jan '10) Mon F U Wally 36
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Mon Spermcount1 4,049
Lake County courthouse security guard arrested Mon shawn 1
Chicago needs its Bucket Boys Mon EatnTurds 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Mon LOL at Gomer Pyle 78

Vernon Hills Jobs

Vernon Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Vernon Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Vernon Hills

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]