Inmate found dead in Oklahoma jail

Jan 8, 2009 Full story: Tulsa World 33

DUNCAN a ' An inmate who had been under suicide watch was found dead in his cell at the Stephens County Detention Center.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DSW

United States

#3 Jan 13, 2009
Odd when it came across the scanners it said he was threatening suicide. You have to know the Duncan cops to understand how this could happen.

Since: Aug 08

Gulfport, MS

#4 Jan 15, 2009
I live in Duncan, Oklahoma. You are right, DSW, you'd have to know the Duncan cops to understand how this could happen. What's more...it was the new sheriff's second day (I believe) on the job. Says a lot for our town's law enforcement, doesn't it??
DSW

United States

#5 Jan 15, 2009
I also live in Duncan and all I can say is what law enforcement?:)
rick m

United States

#6 Jan 20, 2009
I knew and worked with terry in cotton county was a good person and even better worker was so sorry to find this out my heart goes out to his 3 sons. I knew them and knew his wife melissa a little. I just can't believe it
Proud county officer wife

Boise, ID

#7 Jan 21, 2009
First let me say that my husband is a Detention officer at the county lock up. This man was release from suicide watch, which means that he was evoluated a deamed fit to join the general population. No one in the county jail has bed sheets he hung himself with his pants. Would you rather they treated him like an animal and left him naked or left in that potato bag? And if you people knew anything the Duncan cops had nothing to do with this inmate after him going into jail. Furthermore; Every check is documented and signed and all are witnessed. This incident has nothing to do with Wayne McKinney or any of the other employees. With a jail population over 100 how can every inmate be watched 24-7. Everyone of you need to know the facts before you go insulting people and places!!!!!!!!!!

Since: Aug 08

Gulfport, MS

#8 Jan 22, 2009
If you are so sure that the sheriff and employees have nothing to do with this incident, then you need to be contacting the Duncan Banner(and other news outlets) and letting them know since Wayne McKinney and his employees WERE mentioned in the newspaper article about this suicide. I don't care how many are in the jail population. It is that department's responsibility to be vigilant and know what is going on.(I will take your word for it that the inmate was evaluated and deemed fit to join the general population, but in that case, someone didn't do their job effectively, did they? Obviously, he wasn't fit.) I am so sick and tired of people "passing the buck" when it comes to their lack of responsibility whether it be personally or on the job. I don't know how long you have lived in Duncan, but it is known that in the past the law enforcement agencies have been (How shall I put this?) "quite lacking" in performing their duties.(Murders, assaults, rapes unsolved, judges not arrested, privileged people above the law, etc.) Also, this is America....we can say whatever we want and have whatever opinions we want (as can you) whether you think they are correct or insulting. I base my opinions on what I read and on what I KNOW from having lived in this town over 60 years. You, of course, have a right to your own beliefs about the situations in our town, but I bet no matter what, we will disagree.
DSW

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 Jan 25, 2009
There is a saying here in Duncan....if you are too sorry for any other job you can always become a cop. Granted there are a few good ones but the bad ones out weigh the good ones.
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Walters, OK

#10 Jan 26, 2009
TO DSW! BAD COPS OUTWEIGH THE GOOD ONES? I SURE HOPE YOU NEVER NEED ONE IN YOUR LIFETIME. THERE ARE THOSE OF YOU WHO MOAN AND GROAN ABOUT THE WORK THEY DO AND THEN THE FIRST TO MOAN AND GROAN BECAUSE THEY AREN'T THERE WHEN YOU NEED THEM!!! SO NOTHING IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!! YOU, SIR OR MAM, NEED TO WALK A MILE IN A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER'S SHOES.
DSW

Lawton, OK

#11 Jan 27, 2009
SOMEONE WHO CARES wrote:
TO DSW! BAD COPS OUTWEIGH THE GOOD ONES? I SURE HOPE YOU NEVER NEED ONE IN YOUR LIFETIME. THERE ARE THOSE OF YOU WHO MOAN AND GROAN ABOUT THE WORK THEY DO AND THEN THE FIRST TO MOAN AND GROAN BECAUSE THEY AREN'T THERE WHEN YOU NEED THEM!!! SO NOTHING IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!! YOU, SIR OR MAM, NEED TO WALK A MILE IN A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER'S SHOES.
My comment was to the Duncan ones not all in general and I have needed them and called upon them and with fairly good results everywhere but in Duncan. For example....I called to report a break in right next door to me, I had the dispatcher on the phone watching two men cut the screens and enter the house...told her exactly what they looked like and which window they went into...when the cops showed up did they go next door? Nope they came to my house! I repeated all I told the dispatcher and in that time the two that broke in went out the back door and was no where to be found. I was told by these two officers "if they come back try to detain them" Now that is really a good thing to tell someone that is reporting a crime isn't it?
Melissa

Reseda, CA

#12 Jan 29, 2009
This is not Duncan's first incident of this kind. I am possitive that they have already had the FBI look into their nice establishment before. I hope this time they do the right thing. If I was anyone, as an American, I would be terrified to live or be arrested in that town. Scary!!!!!!
DSW

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Feb 1, 2009
It's very scary living here you can have someone living right next door to you selling drugs right in the front yard, 3 blks from a grade school, call the cops and they do nothing about it. It is a sad sad situation.
Duncan Cops

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Feb 8, 2009
The Duncan cops are probably the people buying the drugs. I know years ago, before I got out of that hell hole, all the cops bought their guns at one place, their drugs from the gun dealer's son, and the wife and daughter of the gun dealer were where they got their adult fun.
Danny C

Shawnee, OK

#16 Feb 9, 2009
Gotta check out this crazy video
Chip

Tampa, FL

#17 Jun 11, 2009
I wouldn't take the job in the first place.
goretards

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Dec 14, 2009
and to educate you stephens county has the most uncertified jailers in the state lol hiring best buddies and butt lovers
goretards

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Dec 14, 2009
SOMEONE WHO CARES wrote:
.......... hahah i on the other hand have walked amile in those shoes and yes the so calledlaw enforcers aka makemy own damn laws up are all stupid i quit for that reason i have higher standards then to ruin peoples lifes for self gain.
goretards

Oklahoma City, OK

#21 Dec 14, 2009
this also is not the first suicide in stephens county jail some of the jailers that are there now were there then just a thought
Kacie

Comanche, OK

#22 Aug 5, 2010
I was in Stephens County for 24 hours for driving under suspension. There was a lady that keep useing the restroom on herself because of medical problems. She was held in a drunk tank by herself and guards would tell her she fucking stunk and to wash her ass or they would take her naked ass outside and wash her with a water hose. Later that night she cut her wrist with the glass in her eye glasses. They brought in the medics bandaged her up and threw her back in there. People were not getting their meds either. This was never even made public that this had happened. I called channel 7 news the next day and reported it but they said its not the first report of this kind and they can not really look any further into the issues. Something needs to be done!
sw oklahoma

Snyder, OK

#23 Aug 7, 2010
man, that is scary. me and my wife thought about buying a house in duncan when we moved down here. it looked like a good town (i guess on the outside). now im glad we moved to elgin
Stop the madness

Waterbury, CT

#24 Aug 7, 2010
LOLARAY wrote:
If you are so sure that the sheriff and employees have nothing to do with this incident, then you need to be contacting the Duncan Banner(and other news outlets) and letting them know since Wayne McKinney and his employees WERE mentioned in the newspaper article about this suicide. I don't care how many are in the jail population. It is that department's responsibility to be vigilant and know what is going on.(I will take your word for it that the inmate was evaluated and deemed fit to join the general population, but in that case, someone didn't do their job effectively, did they? Obviously, he wasn't fit.) I am so sick and tired of people "passing the buck" when it comes to their lack of responsibility whether it be personally or on the job. I don't know how long you have lived in Duncan, but it is known that in the past the law enforcement agencies have been (How shall I put this?) "quite lacking" in performing their duties.(Murders, assaults, rapes unsolved, judges not arrested, privileged people above the law, etc.) Also, this is America....we can say whatever we want and have whatever opinions we want (as can you) whether you think they are correct or insulting. I base my opinions on what I read and on what I KNOW from having lived in this town over 60 years. You, of course, have a right to your own beliefs about the situations in our town, but I bet no matter what, we will disagree.
I have to disagree with you. This man was the one responsible for his death. As the previous poster stated, you can't watch all these people every second.Block checks are performed every half hour in my department unless the prisoner is deemed suicidal. Obviously it is pretty constant under those circumstances. Unless the prisoner is naked, or in a paper suit, he or she can kill themselves very quickly. They can smash their heads on the walls, etc. They can stick their faces into a toilet and drown. They can stuff food down their throats. There are so many ways a person can commit suicide, it's not funny. You can't possible watch all of them intently. When someone decides to kill himself, the blame rests squarely on his shoulders. Many of these people show no signs of their intent, nor do they state that they want to hurt themselves. Try spending some time in a prison or detention center. You will be a little less inclined to throw the blame on others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Velma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jerry Underwood (May '13) Nov 9 Stella 2
joe Dorman,heard. of good things give him your ... Nov 3 nannylove 1
Circus opens at arena on Oct. 23 (Oct '08) Nov 2 Wowzers 16
So the KKK meeting at First Baptist... Oct '14 TrueGoodEnduring 2
Date now set for murder trial (Nov '13) Oct '14 BRANDONS Aunt 4
busted Oct '14 crazyshe 3
Marlow cops writing tickets on Main St. (Dec '11) Sep '14 SmallTownGossip420 8
Velma Dating
Find my Match

Velma People Search