Jolly Cone_Van Buren MO

United States

#22 Jul 30, 2007
keiser wrote:
<quoted text>van buren is my home town and i have never heard of this . the rose cliff was not owned by davisand the only dr in town was dr ruzinski. no clinic existed during this time. this is a big lie
How about some more info Mr. Know It All......Between 1930 and 1960, conservationists and local opponents of the Corps' dams devised their strategies to preserve the Current as a free-flowing river at the Rose Cliff Hotel, a popular gathering spot for Missouri conservationists. Dr. Robert Davis of Birch Tree built the Rose Cliff Hotel at Van Buren during 1927-1929. Overlooking the Current across the bridge from Van Buren, it was the largest inn along the river. In the early 1930s, Missouri scientists and journalists dubbed Rose Cliff the "Athens of the Ozarks." Foresters working out the boundaries of the Mark Twain National Forest stayed at the hotel. Two influential wildlife scientists, Dr. Rudolf Bennitt and Werner Nagel, lived there while performing research for their study on Missouri wildlife that made a notable contribution to the founding of the Missouri Conservation Commission in 1936.[60] In 1934, Harry S Truman used the place as a campaign headquarters during his run for the U.S. Senate and frequently returned after his election to enjoy Big Spring and the Ozark scenery. The hotel became a favorite "hangout" of writers from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Moreover, a number of naturalists produced important literary works on Missouri's natural values while staying at the Rose Cliff for varying lengths of time.
KingVan Buren

United States

#23 Jul 31, 2007
The Rose Cliff Hotel actually had two fires, the one in 1960 gutted part of the hotel and the one in 1982 burned it to the ground. The fire in 1960 was a kitchen fire but they never found a cause on the last one, but everyone around here thinks it was Joey Davis. People around here still think they see him sometimes and whoever it is just darts into the woods along M Highway. The Davis' still lived in the hotel even after it closed. The word in Van Buren, as everyone can tell you, is that Frances Davis' ghost haunts the area where the hotel was since she died there in '82. Anyone who lives here or is from the area knows this though. That along with tube floating is the main attraction of Van Buren & Current River.
Bob Saults

United States

#24 Aug 2, 2007
Harry S. Truman stayed there once as well and yes the Davis' did own it and Robert was a doctor at Big Springs Clinic.

“The Truth”

Since: Aug 07

Festus/Crystal City

#25 Aug 6, 2007
The NPS is totally illegiment. This is America not Russia, the tree huggin commies need to go back to the Mother land..
Mister Fun

United States

#26 Aug 8, 2007
???? I'd love to see that ghost!
Drew Williams

Poplar Bluff, MO

#27 Aug 8, 2007
Yeah I heard about this story and I am planning to check it out sometime, I am from VB and still live in Vb and If I was little Joey I would kick some tourist ass to,
Mister Fun

United States

#28 Aug 9, 2007
It almost has that Friday the 13th/Jason Voorhees feel to it. Gotta love it!
Drew Williams

Poplar Bluff, MO

#29 Aug 10, 2007
Jolly Cone_Van Buren MO wrote:
Keiser from Va. here are some more facts about the Rose Cliff that you might like to know: The Rose Cliff Hotel was built in 1927-1929 by Robert I. Davis along the Current River in what was known as “South” Van Buren. The hotel was a regional landmark, and was the tempo­rary home of teachers, salesmen, politicians, vacationers, conservationists, hunters, fishermen, journalists, writers, and other travelers. Among the guests who signed the hotel’s registers were Governor Forrest Donnell, Thomas Hart Benton, Leonard Hall, Dan Saults, and other prominent Missouri­ans, many of whom were instrumental in preventing construction of a dam on the Current River and establishing the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. The Rose Cliff closed in the 1960s, and burned during its restoration in the 1980s. For more information on the Rose Cliff, see the ar­ticle by Lynn Morrow,“Rose Cliff Hotel...a Missouri Forum for Environmental Policy,” Gateway Heritage (Fall 1982): 38-48.
Hey U duesh bag I live in Vb and I have never heard of you, you big friggin tourist.
MAD AS HELL

Houston, TX

#30 Aug 10, 2007
SHUT UP DREW WILLIAMS THAT HAS TO BE A QUEER NAME AND IM GLAD YOU LIVE IN YOUR LITTLE TOWN VB YOU STUPID PRICK THE TOURIST IS WHERE YOU AND THE REST OF YOUR LITTLE TOWN GETS IT MONEY MAYBE WE SHOULD FIND SOME WHERE ELSE TO GO AND WHEN YOU ALL ARE GONE BECAUSE THERES NOTHING THERE WE CAN COME BACK
Mister Fun

United States

#31 Aug 14, 2007
Hey Drew how can you claim Van Buren as your town when you live in Fisk? Looks like you're a tourist to you dumba55 mf'er. Last time I looked at Fisk it didn't look like you had a damn thing there except some sorry a55 rednecks who couldn't spell their own names. If it wasn't for people going there, you all wouldn't have any jobs.

“生命是死亡”

Since: Jul 07

Sweden

#32 Aug 14, 2007
Mister Fun wrote:
Hey Drew how can you claim Van Buren as your town when you live in Fisk? Looks like you're a tourist to you dumba55 mf'er. Last time I looked at Fisk it didn't look like you had a damn thing there except some sorry a55 rednecks who couldn't spell their own names. If it wasn't for people going there, you all wouldn't have any jobs.
Appearently you have no idea how easy it is to make it appear as though you're coming from somewhere you aren't. BTW, the location under your name is where the ISP server address is. He could technically be 300 or 400 miles from that location. Even my normal location is still 200 miles (as the crow flies) from where I actually am - this one is several thousand miles away.

While I am not all that familiar with Van Buren, I did grow up on Jack's Fork and Current Rivers. I have been there in many years, but the people rarely change all that much. The NPS exemplifies the old adage' "I'm from the government and I'm here to help". I remember the way things were before the NPS came to the Ozarks. All in all, it was a better time and place. There were still tourists, that point is not the problem, and they were more courteous and respectful than 90% of the ones that use the rivers today. As far as them being the only basis for employment, that opinion contains very little thought. Tourism is pretty much limited to 3 months out of the year. There are tourists year round, but not all that many. While they may provide some businesses with enough money for the year in that short period of summer, they DO NOT provide the average worker with such. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

AND the people who live up there are NOT rednecks, they are hicks - Close, but not accurate. Being, if your ISP ID is correct, from KY you should understand that. Last I heard inbreeding was as much of a problem there as with the rednecks.
MAD AS HELL

Houston, TX

#33 Aug 16, 2007
PALLIDA MORS IF YOU WORK FOR THE GOV THAT EXPLAINS WHY YOUR STICKING YOUR NOSE IN OUR TOPIC IF YOU WOULD LOOK AROUND THE MAIN TOURIST ATTRACTION IS FROM AROUND MAY TO THE LABOR DAY IN SEPTENBER THATS FOUR MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR AND YOU ASK ALL THE STORES IN TOWN THEY CANT WAIT UNTIL NEXT MAY THIS IS WHERE THE MONEY COMES FROM TOURIST AS FAR AS THE PEOPLE OF VAN BUREN THEY ARE REALLY FRIENDLY AND RESPECTFULL OF THE TOURIST AND WE LIKE THAT YOU RUN ACROSS SOMEONE LIKE YOUR SELF EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE BUT HEY YOU GOT THET KIND EVERY WHERE
Go Bulldogs

United States

#34 Aug 22, 2007
Good story.I will ask my mom if she heard it before.Wasn't there a Dr. Ottenmeyer also?Loved that Jolly Cone when I was a kid!Who owns it now? Lived on M hiway in the 60's.

“THE BOOGERMANNN!”

Since: Aug 07

SMALLTOWN MO

#35 Aug 29, 2007
Little Joey Davis wrote:
I'll shove my 2 empty beer cans up your a** sideways until you smile & like it Mad As Hell! Who would want to drink your nasty old Schaefer Light beer? As far as I'm concerned you're a loser for staying at DR in the first place. hee haw
Hell I thought the only spoiled brat from VB was "Little Robbie Williams"!

Go figure.
Suh Mors

United States

#36 Sep 26, 2007
He's probably related to that idiot Drew Williams from Fisk.
Andy B

United States

#37 Dec 27, 2007
So now that Deer run is ruined where is the best place to party at current river?
jill

Gideon, MO

#38 Dec 28, 2007
Ghosts!!!

Since: Dec 07

current river country

#39 Dec 28, 2007
Drew I went to school with your dad. I bet he would love to see the way you talk on here. It takes some big people to cuss at a child, the way I have seen it done here. Drew is just a kid and he is from VB. I have also lived here my whole life and have never heard that story. To bad Red passed away, he would know for sure. As for the Landing, don't believe a word they tell you lol.. Your tourist, your here for us to mess with. I never heard a ghost burnt the Rose Cliff. I heard it was for insurance money. That place use to give me the creeps when I was a kid though.

Since: Dec 07

current river country

#40 Dec 28, 2007
oh and as for campgrounds try Current River Camp Ground. It is located here in town. Owned by Mike May. Deer Run camp ground has gone way down hill. Yogi wants a family place. Last summer Jeff even tried putting his campers to bed at 10pm.
tom

Gideon, MO

#41 Dec 29, 2007
current river is pretty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Van Buren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lighthouse Christian Academy (Nov '10) 1 hr Former Girl Student 47
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 3 hr Yellow Dawg Democrat 97,281
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 6 hr Foster 3,191
holly ogden (Feb '13) 6 hr Satisfied 20
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 7 hr Go Blue Forever 590
motorhome burnt on news me T (Mar '14) 11 hr Ole Boy 8
Gerry Allen for police chief 14 hr i like him 20
Van Buren Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Van Buren Jobs

Van Buren People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Van Buren News, Events & Info