Utica National Insurance done for!

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Geneva, NY

#1 Nov 17, 2009
Morale at this company is in the tanks. It won't get any better until those in charge are out. Those running this place are running it into the ground. They have no idea how to manage people and run an insurance company. I wonder how some got in the position they are in. Oh wait I know, corporate and an inbred culture!!!
sucks

New York, NY

#2 Nov 17, 2009
i know of people that work there. and while i am sure most are good decent folk, the few i know of are a real buncha tools. what is wrong with the world today when we allow such vegetables to call the shots.
Norma

AOL

#3 Nov 17, 2009
Wellll the Hartford is worse!
letshearitmike

Rome, NY

#4 Nov 18, 2009
Dougie Robinson and crew could care less about people. He's a bottom line guy and cares only about the bottom line. look at the people that he's sent out the door on his watch. Good people that had long careers there that he cut out for the sake of profits. Ya, I know the whole businesses have to make tough choices in tough times to keep the doors open, and thats what you'll hear from Mike Austin when he starts responding to any Topix post about Utica national or Dougie boy, but Robinson was making deep cuts before the economy got bad. He's alleviated positions just to get rid of people nearing retirement and has morale there at an all time low. Most people that work there won't even post on this site because there afraid he'll track them down and fire them for telling the truth.
Moving out

Rome, NY

#5 Nov 18, 2009
Utica National has to start downsizing so when they close up the building in downtown Utica they can fit the few remaining people in the New Hartford building. Their free tax deal is running out on the Utica property and they don't want to pay their fair share.
Long Time Utican

Auburn, NY

#6 Nov 18, 2009
letshearitmike wrote:
Dougie Robinson and crew could care less about people. He's a bottom line guy and cares only about the bottom line. look at the people that he's sent out the door on his watch. Good people that had long careers there that he cut out for the sake of profits. Ya, I know the whole businesses have to make tough choices in tough times to keep the doors open, and thats what you'll hear from Mike Austin when he starts responding to any Topix post about Utica national or Dougie boy, but Robinson was making deep cuts before the economy got bad. He's alleviated positions just to get rid of people nearing retirement and has morale there at an all time low. Most people that work there won't even post on this site because there afraid he'll track them down and fire them for telling the truth.
The Hartford did the same thing. Corporate in Hartford, CT are ALL Asskissers - that is how they protect their Titles and jobs - NOT because they dare to come up with any good ideas on how to run a business.

The Hartford has fired MANY, MANY long term employees by putting them on "Action Plans' for 30 days and then firing them when they are only a few months away from being eligible to retire. I saw many, many of my friends walk out the door stripped of all their benefits, insurance coverages, seniority, and completely demoralized.
Fat Organization

New York, NY

#7 Nov 18, 2009
UNIG has too many chiefs and is getting rid of the indians. Outside consultants told them to flatten the organization but the boy's club protects their own.

Since: Nov 09

Syracuse, NY

#8 Nov 18, 2009
People that have worked there for 30 years have been replaced by replacement workers and they are paying the price now, see ya later over paid as*##@^^!!!!
Scared Stiff

AOL

#9 Nov 18, 2009
Some of us are scared. We have the years, but not close to being able to retire. The question is: WILL we be ABLE to retire b4 we're downsized somehow? All I think about is all the YRS I've put in there and I hope it will be worthwhile but I often wonder.
Waiting for Mike

United States

#10 Nov 20, 2009
I am shocked that we haven't heard from Mike Austin by now.
Long Time Utican

Auburn, NY

#11 Nov 20, 2009
Scared Stiff wrote:
Some of us are scared. We have the years, but not close to being able to retire. The question is: WILL we be ABLE to retire b4 we're downsized somehow? All I think about is all the YRS I've put in there and I hope it will be worthwhile but I often wonder.
Hate to worry you, but this is exactly the group of people Hartford Insurance Co. targeted when they did their "downsizing". You people are at the higher end of the salary scale and are older in age - both of which are costing the company more money in salaries AND Health Ins. premiums. Bottom line, you all can be replaced by someone fresh out of College for half of what the company is paying for you all now.

This is NOT fair and it violates every moral code - but that is exactly how Corporate America does business now. There is NO LOYALTY or empathy for the experience a long term employee brings to the Company.
NU View

United States

#12 Nov 20, 2009
I commented as a bunch of the long time employees were leaving, "This is the end of an era". To which one of the new kids said "Yeah, the era when we knew what we were doing". Enough said.
Long Time Utican

Auburn, NY

#13 Nov 20, 2009
NU View wrote:
I commented as a bunch of the long time employees were leaving, "This is the end of an era". To which one of the new kids said "Yeah, the era when we knew what we were doing". Enough said.
!"old" days of using judgment and common sense are now gone. Corporate America thinks a computer program can make the "right" decisions versus those made by a human who could think. If Utica National thinks they are in trouble now - wait until all the experienced employees are gone and they are left with only their computers and college graduates that only know how to read a book and have no common sense or judgment skills.

A good example of this is when I left the Hartford 10 years ago (after they were all done with their downsiing), their Stock prices were $96 a share. Within a year (after all the old time employees had left, along with me) their Stock value went down to $26 a share.

Corporate America, especially Insurance companies, need to realize they can NEVER get a computer to think and make decisions like a long term, experienced employee can.

I'm so glad I am out of this two face, back stabbing insurance business. All I care about now is that Hartford keeps sending me my Pension check that I worked for.
Personal Opinion

Auburn, NY

#14 Nov 20, 2009
Long Time Utican - I have to agree with you. I worked at the Hartford for the longest 4 years of my life! It was the worst place I have ever worked in my 34 years in the work place. Every Sunday night I cried my heart out because I knew I had to go to that hell hole on Monday. I worked in Customer Service and Billing the Managers and supervisors were the most rotten people I have ever worked with. And the people in my unit were the most two-faced, back stabbing jerks I have every come across in my entire life. That place rots!!! I thank god every day I found the position I have now. The company I work for now is like working in a country club compared to the Hartford.
Thanx

AOL

#15 Nov 20, 2009
Personal Opinion wrote:
Long Time Utican - I have to agree with you. I worked at the Hartford for the longest 4 years of my life! It was the worst place I have ever worked in my 34 years in the work place. Every Sunday night I cried my heart out because I knew I had to go to that hell hole on Monday. I worked in Customer Service and Billing the Managers and supervisors were the most rotten people I have ever worked with. And the people in my unit were the most two-faced, back stabbing jerks I have every come across in my entire life. That place rots!!! I thank god every day I found the position I have now. The company I work for now is like working in a country club compared to the Hartford.
Wow. What a put down! I would NEVER think of applying there!
Long Time Utican

Auburn, NY

#16 Nov 21, 2009
Personal Opinion wrote:
Long Time Utican - I have to agree with you. I worked at the Hartford for the longest 4 years of my life! It was the worst place I have ever worked in my 34 years in the work place. Every Sunday night I cried my heart out because I knew I had to go to that hell hole on Monday. I worked in Customer Service and Billing the Managers and supervisors were the most rotten people I have ever worked with. And the people in my unit were the most two-faced, back stabbing jerks I have every come across in my entire life. That place rots!!! I thank god every day I found the position I have now. The company I work for now is like working in a country club compared to the Hartford.
I know exactly how you feel. The last 5 years I worked there, I felt the same way as you did. I use to love my job for 18 years -until they started their downsizing, etc. As I said before, I wouldn't wish for my worst enemy to work at Hartford Ins. I'm happy you found another job and were able to quit. Good Luck in you "new" position.

I was asked to come back as a "Consultant" - I laughed and told them they could never come up with enough money to make me come back for even 1 day.
sad

Auburn, NY

#17 Nov 21, 2009
Not a good thing.
gotone

Rome, NY

#18 Nov 21, 2009
Waiting for Mike wrote:
I am shocked that we haven't heard from Mike Austin by now.
he is busy answering on the Hartford thread....
Isadora

Ithaca, NY

#19 Nov 21, 2009
gotone wrote:
<quoted text>he is busy answering on the Hartford thread....
lol. Now, that's fun E.
get a grip

Syracuse, NY

#20 Nov 22, 2009
Long Time Utican wrote:
<quoted text>!"old" days of using judgment and common sense are now gone. Corporate America thinks a computer program can make the "right" decisions versus those made by a human who could think. If Utica National thinks they are in trouble now - wait until all the experienced employees are gone and they are left with only their computers and college graduates that only know how to read a book and have no common sense or judgment skills.
A good example of this is when I left the Hartford 10 years ago (after they were all done with their downsiing), their Stock prices were $96 a share. Within a year (after all the old time employees had left, along with me) their Stock value went down to $26 a share.
Corporate America, especially Insurance companies, need to realize they can NEVER get a computer to think and make decisions like a long term, experienced employee can.
I'm so glad I am out of this two face, back stabbing insurance business. All I care about now is that Hartford keeps sending me my Pension check that I worked for.
Just think if you had stayed at Hartford, it would have been a penny stock by the time you finished, what with your moaning and bitching about the place you draw a salary from... And now you got a thing against Utica National. You must be glad you retired, not have to deal with them com-put-ars and all them new fangled things. Too bad you never ran your own business or were in a management position in a company where you had to be the one who made difficult decisions when business was bad. You need to get out more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rat Picente endorses Cuomo in TV ads 6 min Bread Stuffing 124
Lou Lapolla was the Greatest Mayor of Utica! (Jun '11) 9 min Yes Salatino 84
Why I left (and love it!) 15 min The Ex 39
Charlie Shove 27 min ENOUGH 54
time we STOP FEEDING CRETIN /\lGGER FOR FREE (May '14) 27 min Utica Welfare Com... 7
Why does Utica Topix have 25k more posts than NYC? 38 min Half a little off 4
Another Lion Land Mother Saves America Takes ou... 45 min Utica Welfare Comets 2
Vitullo Obitary 3 hr stupid people 11
Local Greaser Angelo "Wopslop" Nole dies! Good ... 5 hr Alive But Brain Dead 20
frozen dome classic 11 hr Frozen Dumb Classic 46
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:51 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:51PM
GB Heads into Premier Matchup vs. Patriots
Bleacher Report 8:47 PM
Dolphins D Needs Improvement to Be Elite
ESPN11:42 PM
O'Connor: Beckham Jr.'s catch deserved more
Bleacher Report12:03 AM
Full Report Card Grades for Giants vs. Cowboys
NBC Sports12:44 AM
ICYMI: Beckham's 1-handed grab; Pats-Pack on tap - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:05 AM
Romo upstages Beckham, Cowboys beat Giants - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 AM
Odell Beckham: I hope it's not my greatest catch of all time
NBC Sports 3:09 AM
Bills president says "no red flags" to prevent home game Sunday
Bleacher Report 3:59 AM
Complete Monday Night Football Fantasy Preview
ESPN 7:11 AM
Bills 'optimistic' to play at home vs. Browns