windows for $259? SCAM!

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
upset

Baldwinsville, NY

#1 Sep 3, 2012
I want to install windows in my home for the fall. Everyday in the paper is a brightly colored ad for "Golden Hammer" windows at $259 installed.

It says free estimates. Why would you need a free estimate if it says they are $259 installed? RED FLAG!

So the price seems really good and I call them for an estimate as well as RA dudrak in holland patent. Both companies are complete liars. This does not include things like disposing of the old widows, replacing the little trim pieces that have to be replaced inside, trimming the outside of the window, energy efficient glass, and the list goes on.

RA dudrak ended up being cheaper but both were over $400 by the time the necessities were factored in. I think this is a total scam. Now I might not have had a problem paying $400 or more dollars if I knew that in the beginning but to lure people in with these fake prices is a scam in my opinion.

Also, guess what I asked the 'golden hammer'? What if the window has a problem a couple years from now? He said I'd have to talk to the manufacturer because they don't warranty anything with the actual window.
Hey there

Utica, NY

#2 Sep 3, 2012
You can purchase six foot by three foot double hung windows for 225.00. Also, I paid a contractor 25dollars to install each window. I disposed of the old windows myself at the dump. I also provided the caulk as I wanted paintable silicone.
Fred G Sanford

Rochester, NY

#3 Sep 3, 2012
You big Dummy !!
The "G" stands for Glass

Of course they lure you in with $259 installed. Dont you bother to read that tiny miniscule print that's on for less than a second at the bottom of the TV screen. Or in a print ad? They make their money on incidentals and labor and tearing out the old windows.

Ever go to a restaurant? Did you go to one because an ad said $15 for a Steak dinner? but it ended up costing you more like $30 per person, because you didnt factor in your appetizer, drinks and dessert.
contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#4 Sep 3, 2012
Hey there wrote:
You can purchase six foot by three foot double hung windows for 225.00. Also, I paid a contractor 25dollars to install each window. I disposed of the old windows myself at the dump. I also provided the caulk as I wanted paintable silicone.
Add tax, insulation, interior stops, and you're at a lot more than $225 in materials.

If you want the window wrapped you need a roll of coil stock or you can use composite brickmold. That adds $$$

No legitimate contractor is doing installation for $25, period. That would not cover the gas to make the trips there and to the dump, dump fee, possible lead paint compliance, time to install, and possibility of future service needed. Don't forget overhead too.

Minimum $80 labor and most likely $100-$150 labor if he's any good.

You can squeak by with a legit window installation at about $350 -$375, but forget about any window product warranty like the original poster said. If you want full warrantees on product and labor, you have to pay a window company $500 or more and then you're dealing with salesmen and all that crap.
Hey there

Utica, NY

#5 Sep 3, 2012
You are incorrect. As stated, I provided the caulk. Being careful, using a stiff putty knife and mallet, we reused the stops and trim on the interior. The replacements fit within a quarter in around. Insulation cost was minimal. As stated, I went to the dump.and yes, he is a legitimate contractor working on his own after hours. Seeing he did six windows in about 90 min total, that's 150.00 for ninety min work. Not to shabby.

The dump fee, being a homeowner and a resident, was less than twenty bucks. I do not count gas, but throw ten bucks in if you want, other materials, less than fifty.

Low e argon with dividers. Oly thing I did not get was double hung screens. I got fll screens.
contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#6 Sep 3, 2012
when did I mention caulk? I didn't mention it because you said you provided it.

Ok you went to the dump and disposed of them, there's still a cost for that right? A cost for gas to get there. A cost for the windows to be delivered or to drive a truck there (how much is gas nowadays?). A cost for maintenance to run a business vehicle.

He's a legitimate contractor so he must be carrying insurance and workmans comp as well as do a lead test as well?

The best window installer in the world cannot install windows in 15 minutes.

What you did was buy cheap box store windows and failed to give an accurate view of the real cost involved, as well as hired someone who shouldn't be allowed to own hammer to install them.
contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#7 Sep 3, 2012
By the way, as a LEGITIMATE contractor myself (and I'm sure others one here will agree with this), it costs a good $300 -$400 PER JOB just to show up.

When you are a legitimate professional contractor, you likely have annual expenses of simply running your business at $40,000 or more. If you do 200 jobs per year that'$200 just to show up to a job an cover the expense to be in business.

Or you can be a scumbag like so many here and not do bookkeeping, illegally pay workers under the table, don't carry comp or insurance, drive a truck that's about to fall apart, use low grade materials, never service anything, and be able to slap a junk window in at under $300.
Hey there

Utica, NY

#9 Sep 3, 2012
contractor wrote:
when did I mention caulk? I didn't mention it because you said you provided it.
Ok you went to the dump and disposed of them, there's still a cost for that right? A cost for gas to get there. A cost for the windows to be delivered or to drive a truck there (how much is gas nowadays?). A cost for maintenance to run a business vehicle.
He's a legitimate contractor so he must be carrying insurance and workmans comp as well as do a lead test as well?
The best window installer in the world cannot install windows in 15 minutes.
What you did was buy cheap box store windows and failed to give an accurate view of the real cost involved, as well as hired someone who shouldn't be allowed to own hammer to install them.
No, they were ordered, silverline, energy star rated windows. Bought locally, not from a big box. A three foot by six is not a common size. And the contractor has insurance, workers comp, etc. he is a home builder. Things were slow and he was doing other jobs. So don't insult people you do not know. And about the time, if I had know how simple it was to install replacement windows, I would have done it myself and saved the cos. SO SIMPLE!!!
contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#10 Sep 3, 2012
silverline is a bottom of the barrel window that andersen bought to compete in the low end market along with american craftsman.

these are exactly the same windows sold at home depot, so whether you got them from a box store or a lumberyard they are the same.

Again, factor the cost of gas, tax, overhead, disposal, insulation, caulk (which was paid for regardless of who paid for it)and you're at MUCH more than $250 that you are suggesting.

If this guy is a home builder carrying comp I can promise you he is not installing windows for $25 each, he would either do it for free since you're a buddy or he'd charge what he would need to be profitable at, about 3-4x what you claim if not more.

Did he do a lead paint test and file all the paperwork like he's required by law? Did he just give you a $10 lead paint test kit for free so we won't factor that in?

Did he do this illegally as a cash job or is he happy making $150 and paying tax on it, so really being paid $97 to do 6 windows, plus having to pay probably $50 in gas at least.

Must be completely normal for everyone to find a professional home builder that's willing to install 6 custom built double hung windows in 15 minutes each, carrying full comp & insurance, complying with lead safe requirements, for charity.

Please share with us who this is so we can all get these fantastic deals like you.
contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#11 Sep 3, 2012
Better yet, if what you say is all true...

give me his name and number so I can offer him a legal job where he'll make aw whopping $35 per window installed and he won't ever be slow for work again. Plus he won't have to pay any comp or insurance anymore since I'll be paying for it. That will save him at least $40,000 per year plus he'll be making $10 more per window!

If he can install windows in 15 minutes each and do an amazing job like you claim, I would keep him busy year round. Let's get this window pro a nice income he deserves!
tough times

Skaneateles, NY

#12 Sep 3, 2012
you sound like the bitter wife of a contractor who must be having hard times... no guy would spend time arguing about this... get in the kitchen and shut up.
contractor

Baldwinsville, NY

#13 Sep 3, 2012
it's a PITA when people spread foolish stuff like this around because it hurts all of us that are doing our jobs professionally and legally.

If I started talking about whatever job you do and telling you that there's better people out there doing it for a fifth of the price, then you'd probably have a problem with it too.

You're probably someone that agrees with outsourcing jobs overseas instead of paying americans what they're worth, right?
Utica NY

Utica, NY

#14 Dec 4, 2012
upset wrote:
I want to install windows in my home for the fall. Everyday in the paper is a brightly colored ad for "Golden Hammer" windows at $259 installed.
It says free estimates. Why would you need a free estimate if it says they are $259 installed? RED FLAG!
So the price seems really good and I call them for an estimate as well as RA dudrak in holland patent. Both companies are complete liars. This does not include things like disposing of the old widows, replacing the little trim pieces that have to be replaced inside, trimming the outside of the window, energy efficient glass, and the list goes on.
RA dudrak ended up being cheaper but both were over $400 by the time the necessities were factored in. I think this is a total scam. Now I might not have had a problem paying $400 or more dollars if I knew that in the beginning but to lure people in with these fake prices is a scam in my opinion.
Also, guess what I asked the 'golden hammer'? What if the window has a problem a couple years from now? He said I'd have to talk to the manufacturer because they don't warranty anything with the actual window.
I really want it to respond to your ad since you really made your self look so stupid. What else do you want for $259. Go get a Marvin window or similar for $600 to $900 installed and you will get everything you want but one thing $ price. And even if you buy high end windows you still need to call 1800 number just like any other manufacture. No rep will come back to you after 2-3 years to take care of your problem. It's reality and we have to learn to face it. Also Estimate could mean how many windows, size, trim work/finish and so on.
We should be glad that we have affordable windows/contractors so we could replace our old windows.
Really

Bronx, NY

#15 Dec 4, 2012
I can install a vinyl replacement window in 20 minutes. There is no need to wrap the outside as you are installing a replacement window. All is robed is the inside stop. Take out the sash. Clean. Caulk, place window inside opening check for plumb screw it in. Nail stops back and caulk. 50 dollars labor per window plus 5 for caulk and spray foam.
Hello

Utica, NY

#16 Dec 5, 2012
Really wrote:
I can install a vinyl replacement window in 20 minutes. There is no need to wrap the outside as you are installing a replacement window. All is robed is the inside stop. Take out the sash. Clean. Caulk, place window inside opening check for plumb screw it in. Nail stops back and caulk. 50 dollars labor per window plus 5 for caulk and spray foam.
true, however, depending on the condition of the sill will determine if a wrap is necessary
retard

Utica, NY

#17 Dec 5, 2012
Really wrote:
Well aren't you special!
So you're putting the responsibility of getting the windows on the homeowner, which shows you don't give a f*ck about what product they put in as well as whether or not they'll even fit.
I'm assuming you also have liability insurance and workmans comp, as well as an EPA certification so you can work on homes older than 1978, correct?
Are you including the REQUIRED lead test and proper lead-safe installation procedures in this $50 per window price? You know it's a $35,000 fine if you don't do it, right?
Also, does this include disposing of the old windows or will you be leaving them for the homeowner to deal with.
An extra $5 for caulk and spray foam, I'm guessing you mean the $2 value caulk and cheap can of dow 'greatstuff' foam, which with sales tax and the gas to go to the store and get it comes to more than $5 alone.
After the caulk starts cracking and turning yellow and the cheap window starts to feel drafty, can the homeowner call you up to fix it or is your workmanship and caulk included in the price?
What if the window starts to have issues down the road, does that matter to you?
I'm assuming you're also putting this on the books so you'll be paying income taxes on this as well, right?
It's scumbags like you that cause all these 'horror stories' from homeowners when legit contractors like me try to actually offer real service for the homeowners hard-earned money.
Ootica Goombah Paisano

Rochester, NY

#19 Dec 5, 2012
Really wrote:
Big deal, I can bang your wife in under 15 minutes. There is no need to wrap my weasel as I am installing my crank. Just take off her clothes. Lick a boob, squeeze a butt. Bang away.

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Boonville, NY

#20 Feb 19, 2013
Just don't skimp out on cheap windows, you will pay for them over and over in energy costs.

Look for the LOWEST U-Value you can find. Ideally you want a U value of 2.0 or lower for a nice high quality window.

Look for metal locking hardware, Low E coating, Argon (Or better is Krypton) gas fill, insulated sashes, reinforced sashes, non recycled plastic, and the window spacers are REALLY important too. Make sure they are NOT aluminum. It's highly conductive. The spacers should also be U-Channeled to help prevent thermal transfer, keep the seal from breaking and losing all your gas, plus it will condensate on the inside as well if the seal breaks.

If you can afford triple pane, it's better than double.

Happy shopping!
Jodie

Utica, NY

#21 Feb 19, 2013
UticaFan wrote:
Just don't skimp out on cheap windows, you will pay for them over and over in energy costs.
Look for the LOWEST U-Value you can find. Ideally you want a U value of 2.0 or lower for a nice high quality window.
Look for metal locking hardware, Low E coating, Argon (Or better is Krypton) gas fill, insulated sashes, reinforced sashes, non recycled plastic, and the window spacers are REALLY important too. Make sure they are NOT aluminum. It's highly conductive. The spacers should also be U-Channeled to help prevent thermal transfer, keep the seal from breaking and losing all your gas, plus it will condensate on the inside as well if the seal breaks.
If you can afford triple pane, it's better than double.
Happy shopping!
how much u talking here?
Pathetic

Brooklyn, NY

#23 Feb 20, 2013
This is all a show. Owner of a disgruntled company posting as two or more posters.(Poster Upset is Poster Contractor) lol

Just trying to hurt their competition.

I'm awfully curious who it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Employment Agencies 48 min Gloria Stevens 5
add a word drop a word (Aug '10) 5 hr SueNY 5,675
Wheres the BABY WORMHEADLING (Jun '13) 5 hr your_truly 6
Wendy Miga 5 hr yupp 17
OMG fat firemen on tv 5 hr IAFF 2
Parkway Drugs Pharmacy is the Worst. 6 hr Employee 9
RCIL's Newest Addition Executive Director AKA T... (Apr '14) 6 hr dead beats 285
The WORST Contractors in Central NY (May '10) 7 hr Bend Over IanHob 294
Bernadette Romano-Clark 7 hr Annette 12
New Hartford Schools Dangerous to our kids 7 hr Bubby 18
New Hartford Music Teacher 8 hr Elizabeth 5
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica Jobs

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance