First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jimmy

United States

#48 Jan 22, 2013
Hey Window Guy - you sound like a window salesman. I do not believe that Ben n Heather said anything close to what you are accusing them of saying. For one they did not claim that windows were the only thing that cut their fuel costs down. I read "along with insulating and air sealing". They also said that the "brand" window is not as important as the specifics, as in the r value etc.... So what they are saying is if you order a window with the same energy efficient specs, the brand is not as relevant as being installed correctly. And I know a lot of people preffer to get away from the argon filled windows because of the leaks and bubbles that come along with the argon over time. All in all Karen, decide what the specs you are looking for in a window, and shop around for prices. RA Dudrak does have a good reputation and makes the windows right here locally. Good Luck!!!! But I would stay away from guys with attitudes like the Window Guy......LOL
hey clown

Utica, NY

#49 Jan 22, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
Hey Window Guy - But I would bag guys with attitudes like the Window Guy......LOL
Heather an Ben tie up kiddies in their basement and molest them, heather gave the BPI a BSJ. Know I where the expression qu ees and steers from Austin came from.
TYLER W SMITH

Oneida, NY

#50 Jan 22, 2013
to:grow up, was trying to stress a point using all caps so yu would take heart and read what I wrote. yes The Home Depot sells Simonton through a INSTALLED program called RMA if you want to pay 6-7 hundred dollars and opening. Marvin? We are a Marvin distributor, did you notice they don't sell REPLACEMENT windows, probably not!To the Window Guy, yes Sunrise sells Simonton in the Syracuse market not in the Utica Area, and as far as anyone with a pickup and nail installing one of them, well that may be the case over there, we do not sell ANYTHING to the public which probably would include you. What window would you recommend instead of Simonton, you seem to know it all when it comes to windows? what would they be? JELD-WEN,paridium,Silverline,A trium,or some magical vinyl window that only you know about. The only reason I responded to this garbage site filled with know it all jack of all trades, master of none is because my name was brought up in a statement; once again I'm reminded why we choose NOT to sell to the general public and only to qualified professionals who know what their doing. P.S. BTW: Grow up, Do you even know what Marvins red diamond achiever program is? If you did you wouldn't show your ignorance and compare it to replacement windows. You all have a good day now. P.S.S. for those of you that had to slam Jeff Peck, well lets just say he's accomplished and built more structures than you will in 10 of your lifetimes all with satisfied customers.
Window Guy

Altmar, NY

#51 Jan 22, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
Hey Window Guy - you sound like a window salesman. I do not believe that Ben n Heather said anything close to what you are accusing them of saying. For one they did not claim that windows were the only thing that cut their fuel costs down. I read "along with insulating and air sealing". They also said that the "brand" window is not as important as the specifics, as in the r value etc.... So what they are saying is if you order a window with the same energy efficient specs, the brand is not as relevant as being installed correctly. And I know a lot of people preffer to get away from the argon filled windows because of the leaks and bubbles that come along with the argon over time. All in all Karen, decide what the specs you are looking for in a window, and shop around for prices. RA Dudrak does have a good reputation and makes the windows right here locally. Good Luck!!!! But I would stay away from guys with attitudes like the Window Guy......LOL
I own a window company. I'm not promoting my own company here though and I simply want to give my expert opinion the same as if Karen (or any other homeowners) were my friend. I see too many people get screwed over and it hurts to know that they were just given bad information.

I didn't misinterpret what Ben and Heather said about windows, what they said was really poor advice. The installation of the window is not any more important as the product. It's like horses and jockeys, they don't work that well when only one of them is good but when you have a great jockey on a great horse you get really good value.

Not getting argon gas in your windows will prevent you from basically saving any energy. They will be no more efficient than a single plane with a storm. Argon gas doesn't have anything to do with 'leaking' or 'bubbling'. This is 100% true and I'd love to hear why you would ever think that Argon gas causes leaking or bubbling, that's absolutely ridiculous. It's one of the most silly things I've ever heard to be honest with you.

A window with exactly the same 'specs' as another window doesn't mean anything either because the frame design and warranty can be drastically different. Like I pointed out previously, one window can also have over twice the energy efficiency as another, which means over half as much energy is lost through the glass.

Your last statement is also false about RA Dudrak, where the heck do you get that he makes windows locally? He sells crystal windows made in NYC and farley windows made in Canada. He doesn't 'make' any windows and the windows he sells aren't 'made' anywhere near us.

I'm here to help offer sound advice, I hope everyone understands. that.
grow up

Utica, NY

#52 Jan 22, 2013
TYLER W SMITH wrote:
to:grow up, was trying to stress a point using all caps so yu would take heart and read what I wrote. yes The Home Depot sells Simonton through a INSTALLED program called RMA if you want to pay 6-7 hundred dollars and opening. Marvin? We are a Marvin distributor, did you notice they don't sell REPLACEMENT windows, probably not!To the Window Guy, yes Sunrise sells Simonton in the Syracuse market not in the Utica Area, and as far as anyone with a pickup and nail installing one of them, well that may be the case over there, we do not sell ANYTHING to the public which probably would include you. What window would you recommend instead of Simonton, you seem to know it all when it comes to windows? what would they be? JELD-WEN,paridium,Silverline,A trium,or some magical vinyl window that only you know about. The only reason I responded to this garbage site filled with know it all jack of all trades, master of none is because my name was brought up in a statement; once again I'm reminded why we choose NOT to sell to the general public and only to qualified professionals who know what their doing. P.S. BTW: Grow up, Do you even know what Marvins red diamond achiever program is? If you did you wouldn't show your ignorance and compare it to replacement windows. You all have a good day now. P.S.S. for those of you that had to slam Jeff Peck, well lets just say he's accomplished and built more structures than you will in 10 of your lifetimes all with satisfied customers.
Did you ever finish kindergarten ?

Window guy already stated what to get, try reading, which appears like you've missed the bus.

Wow, Jeff can use a framing gun, amazing, WOW, he can sheath a house, OMG, how impressive. Did he start out with lincon logs then move up to popcicle sticks ?
Window Guy

Altmar, NY

#53 Jan 22, 2013
TYLER W SMITH wrote:
I love how Marvin windows look and I think they are a company that means well but you and I both know they've had some serious issues with rotting and warranty. At one point I strongly wanted to offer integrity or infinity because I do believe that fiberglass is superior to vinyl but I can't see past Marvin's pricing considering they only have a ten year warranty. I can't justify that to the average homeowner who needs the best value possible and not just a window that looks amazing.

When I say the public I mean contractors as well even though some supply houses claim to only deal with contractors. If a contractor with an EIN or whatever shows up to your place and wants to order twenty marvins, I'm 100% positive you'll sell any window you carry to them. How the heck would you qualify your potential customers?

In order to sell a true professional-grade window line like Okna, Sunrise, or Softlite, you need to be able to order enough product to fill a whole truck for each order. No window professional would buy their products through a supply house like you unless they were just starting out.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#55 Jan 22, 2013
This is one of the few good threads on this site. I am interested in replacing windows in the near future,and I appreciate "Window Guy" trying to help. I,like Karen want to know what the quality product is,and who won't overcharge for the product. Can we get some help along those lines?

“I'm me. Deal with it!”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#56 Jan 22, 2013
KY WELLER wrote:
This is one of the few good threads on this site. I am interested in replacing windows in the near future,and I appreciate "Window Guy" trying to help. I,like Karen want to know what the quality product is,and who won't overcharge for the product. Can we get some help along those lines?
Try the Dudrek King my rental has a sunroom that was cold and we talked to him so he had the King guy come out and replace them all in that room and the kitchen it was clean and they were done in 1 day and didn't even leave a bit of sawdust they cleaned the whole lawn when they were done. I don't know about the others they are probably just as good windows are windows to me but they were professional.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#58 Jan 23, 2013
Heather knows wrote:
<quoted text>Try the Dudrek King my rental has a sunroom that was cold and we talked to him so he had the King guy come out and replace them all in that room and the kitchen it was clean and they were done in 1 day and didn't even leave a bit of sawdust they cleaned the whole lawn when they were done. I don't know about the others they are probably just as good windows are windows to me but they were professional.
Thanks for letting me know. I want to find someone I can trust... That is hard to find anymore.

“Getting To The Meat Of It”

Level 8

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#59 Jan 24, 2013
If you are buying Thermo types, be sure you have a long associated Company, and a great guarantee. The cheap ones leak, and cost lots to repair.
Wendy Davis

South Jordan, UT

#60 Feb 22, 2013
Hey I was wondering, does anyone know of any great places for window companies in Vancouver to advertise? http://www.retroteckwindow.ca/retroteck-about...
Alex

Florham Park, NJ

#62 Jun 6, 2013
I dont know how you would get mold in between panes of glass, even on a low quality window.
i use a window that is close to Okna in quality and have never seen mold. Okna do make a very good window and quite honestly Ive never heard of this happening and Im a competitor so to speak. From being in the business for over 30 hears i have never heard of Okna not fixing or responding to an issue ina timely manner, i just find that extremely hard to believe.
As far as windows i would avoid, well, anything cheaply made such as silverline/ american craftsman, pella vinyl,
MI Windows, excalibur,american jewel. These are very cheap looking and quite honestly you will be replacing them in a few years so do quality from the start.
Higher quality vinyl would be Soft Lite ( especially Elements), Okna, Sunrise, Gorell. These are very well made windows and also look nice.
Sue

Belmar, NJ

#63 Aug 8, 2013
Do you know anything about Universal Windows llc.they deal in Okna window in NJ.
Johnson Magan

Tempe, AZ

#64 Aug 8, 2013
Unhappy Customer

Vienna, VA

#73 Sep 25, 2013
Thermal Industries supplies subpar windows and doors. They are dishonest about their practices. The installed windows in my house. The casing is warping. They weren't appropriate for the are that I live in. Thermal refuses to service my windows. I believe Thermal installs subpar windows and doors to collect residual income from service jobs. The warranty on the windows only covers parts, not labor. They charge you an arm and a leg for labor. These people are crooks. I sought to rectify my situations at level of authority in the company. No one was willing to fix my problem. They ripped me off for $6000 even though they are a multimillion dollar company. They saw the need to steal $6000 from a working class person by providing a subpar product and refusing to fix it. They wanted to charge me another $1800 to fix the problem they made.
hammerhead

Utica, NY

#74 Sep 25, 2013
Call Victor. Affordable and excellent quality
Jim

Utica, NY

#75 Sep 26, 2013
Go with the window king
MassHomeowner

Canton, MA

#77 Jun 16, 2014
Looking to Replace Double Hung Windows and 4 picture windows.

A few years back we looked for windows and got the NewPro show which really turned us off.

A contractor we trusted offered to help us buy Pella windows through Lowe’s and that worked out pretty well for us.

Now we have inherited a house with 46-year-old windows. We are thinking about vinyl windows this time. With the recent quality control issues we decided not to go with Pella windows.

We loved the look of Andersen 400 at Home Depot but then read on the Forums that they have drafty leaks. Have others experienced draft issues or are consumers and installers pretty happy with the Andersen 400’s?

My concern is that forums might have representatives or supporters of companies who would like to steer people away from old stand byes and give other companies a chance. This is fine if what they are saying is true. But the there seems to be some misinformation or cloudy information out there when it comes to window buying these days so I am trying to nail down the facts.

The Tribute Premium Window from Harvey photos on their website look good in that the grills look more wood like and seem less “plastic” looking than so many of the vinyl one out there. It seems like the grill is on the outside of the glass and appears more solid. So many of the new vinyl window grills look flimsy these days.

I heard Simonton are good from a contractor I trust. I went to the show room of Simonton and the corner seam was rough looking.

I am in Massachusetts and hoping Harvey will have a reasonable price and solid reputation. Any draft issues? How do they compare to the next three when it comes to energy efficiency? Please weigh in on that.

There are three others that have gotten some praise on these public Forums:

Soft-Lite Windows- how come you can’t find any close up photos of them on-line? From afar they look great but I would love to see the interior corner seam.

Sunrise Restorations

Okna- Seems like a very small company with a good reputation. I am interested in the low end of mid-range, so I am thinking the Okna 500 makes sense? It has the corner seam that I don’t like on the interior view.

Harvey, Soft-Lite Windows, Sunrise Restorations, Okna all have lifetime warrantees. Who will still be here in 5, 10, 15 years to honor and support these warrantees? Who is taking good care of their customers now? Whose customers are happy and have been for awhile?

How can I see these brands in person in Massachusetts? I am wary to have them to my house and get stuck with another “New Pro”-like demonstration. I was throwing the guy out of the house at 10:30 at night. My daughter was 6 and needed to go to bed but he didn’t care as he was sweating profusely after insisting on jumping up and down on his window display in my kitchen. It seemed that he was under incredible stress from his superiors on the phone to sell us 70K worth of windows on the spot.

I am getting my courage up to listen to options out there again but wary!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robbery At West Utica Stewart's 3 min Irrelevant riggie 5
riggie feeling lonely without robert for holida... 5 min Irrelevant riggie 1
Total Newport Exposed 7 min stanely 2
Robert T Oliveira On Twitter 10 min LampPost 14
Bobby Oliveira vs Nick Searcy, this is too funny 14 min Tom 6
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 31 min Classy 292
Nativity scene at NHFD offensive 40 min xsinman 50
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web