Students Rally At Utica City School District

Apr 6, 2012 Full story: WIBX-AM Whitesboro 65

Students ranging in age from 7 to 18 are rallying in front of the Utica City School District Administrative Offices.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wondering

Utica, NY

#1 Apr 6, 2012
How many of these kid's parents actually own the home they reside in for obvious reasons?
mec1027

Rome, NY

#2 Apr 6, 2012
other than the reasons for taxes that has nothing to do with this whole situation and since i see your from nh why dont you worry about the kids in your own town and schools. Your district was also experiencing multiple cuts but nothing was publisized as much as the utica issues were ..The reason being that the kids in utica care about whats going on in their schools and not worried about smoking pot and shooting heroine on school grounds like most newhartford highschool students.
Trinh Truong

Dracut, MA

#3 Apr 6, 2012
We all own our own houses and pay taxes, thanks.
mec1027

Rome, NY

#5 Apr 6, 2012
Trinh Truong wrote:
We all own our own houses and pay taxes, thanks.
okay maybe you do. But that has nothing to do with the state-aid.The fact of the matter is that kids who rely on sports and make a positive addittion to our community have been punished by the state. You must be a complete idiot for disregaurding the whole thing i said before. This has nothing to do with people not paying taxes , or owning homes. Becasue quite frankly there are s lot of people who cannot afford to own their own home, and good for you that you have the luxury to own a nice house. But i dont think you have the right to talk about other people that you dont know. like i said pay attention to the disturbing things that go on in your community and we will worry about ours.
Wondering

Utica, NY

#6 Apr 6, 2012
mec1027 wrote:
other than the reasons for taxes that has nothing to do with this whole situation
It has EVERTHING to do with taxes you idiot! Apparently you're a renter or even better, a renter getting Section 8 subsidized in part by working New Hartford resident's income taxes. SCUMBAGS!
Utica

Rome, NY

#7 Apr 6, 2012
I agree it does have everything to do with Taxes!!! What do you think that money just grows on trees in Albany! If Utica doesn't contribute then Utica cannot receive! We (and I do live in Utica and work here and own a home) need a bigger tax base.
At the one from New Hartford.... hope you don't work it Utica! If you do you should live here!
Trinh Truong

Dracut, MA

#8 Apr 6, 2012
Utica wrote:
I agree it does have everything to do with Taxes!!! What do you think that money just grows on trees in Albany! If Utica doesn't contribute then Utica cannot receive! We (and I do live in Utica and work here and own a home) need a bigger tax base.
At the one from New Hartford.... hope you don't work it Utica! If you do you should live here!
So, you think that poorer cities/ towns and districts should receive a differing education than those that are more economically suited?
kamakazell

Rome, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2012
Children should be seen and not heard. Tell them to ask their parents to contribute more money to the district if they want more than the taxpayers can afford.
Cuteica

Cortland, NY

#10 Apr 6, 2012
Obvious troll is obvious (re: kamakazell)
waste

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Apr 6, 2012
wat a waste of time.....90% of the kids there don't learn anything anyways....so they'll still have more than enough teachers to teach the other 10% that do wanna learn.....get over it!!!!!!
Trinh Truong

Dracut, MA

#12 Apr 6, 2012
waste wrote:
wat a waste of time.....90% of the kids there don't learn anything anyways....so they'll still have more than enough teachers to teach the other 10% that do wanna learn.....get over it!!!!!!
Yep, let's just give up inner city kids because most of them should fit the inner city kid stereotype./sarcasm
Wondering

Utica, NY

#13 Apr 6, 2012
Trinh Truong wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, let's just give up inner city kids because most of them should fit the inner city kid stereotype./sarcasm
Sorry sweetheart, everyone must give up something in these trying times. You'll just have to work a little harder on your own like the taxpaying grownups have to work a little harder to make ends meet.

Someday you'll understand.
Trinh Truong

Dracut, MA

#14 Apr 6, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry sweetheart, everyone must give up something in these trying times. You'll just have to work a little harder on your own like the taxpaying grownups have to work a little harder to make ends meet.
Someday you'll understand.
I have two jobs and I give up my time on a regular, weekly basis to serve my community and to help other people make ends meet.
Sigh. Guess I should work harder because I'm just a lazy slacker.
berriecat

United States

#16 Apr 6, 2012
property taxes (which are only part of the funding for schools) for rented homes are actually higher than for owner occupied because of homestead owner tax breaks (Star program), so oddly renters contribute more to the tax base,although municipalities prefer owner occupied.

most of our tax dollars have been going to bailing our banks and financial institutions and war mongering.

kudos to the students who voiced their opinion.

our priorities in this country are way off when we reward greed, avarice and corruption and gut education at all levels. that's why we are way behind in the level of education of our populace and getting more ignorant, as most of these posts indicate.
GaryNYer

Key Largo, FL

#17 Apr 6, 2012
Are you kiding me, your seriously bad mouthing kids who are trying to protect their futures the only way they know how. "Wondering" its because of people like you that Trinh is stepping up to the plate to maybe have a better chance with her future. and the future of her class mates. Thank god for our generation, we have to fight to save this broken country because our parents voted in loser, after scumbag, after retard, that dug us into 13 trillion dollar debt. Your the ones that elected politicians that have continued to destroy our future.
Taxplayer

Watertown, NY

#19 Apr 6, 2012
Trinh Truong wrote:
<quoted text>
I have two jobs and I give up my time on a regular, weekly basis to serve my community and to help other people make ends meet.
Sigh. Guess I should work harder because I'm just a lazy slacker.
Thats unny. I have never seen you doing anything before.
be real

Rome, NY

#20 Apr 6, 2012
Wondering and Kamikazell,

I wholeheartedly agree. People do need to sacrifice in these hard times and the kids have no business protesting anything. They pay nothing into the system and really have no say in any of it.

And if it is so important that the kids play sports, and their parents can't afford a lot, then why don't the parents get together and set up and coach some community teams. And if the parents feel there are not enough teachers to do their children justice then perhaps the parents should look into home schooling. Sending your child out to protest, or even allowing them to protest is pathetic!!!!
ZERO

Utica, NY

#21 Apr 6, 2012
THE CORRUPT DIRTY GREEDY MAFIA UNIONS ARE DESTROYING THIS NATION,DOWN WITH THE GREEDY, AND FCK THE TEACHERS WHO DONT TEACH......
Mec1027

Baldwinsville, NY

#22 Apr 6, 2012
be real wrote:
Wondering and Kamikazell,
I wholeheartedly agree. People do need to sacrifice in these hard times and the kids have no business protesting anything. They pay nothing into the system and really have no say in any of it.
And if it is so important that the kids play sports, and their parents can't afford a lot, then why don't the parents get together and set up and coach some community teams. And if the parents feel there are not enough teachers to do their children justice then perhaps the parents should look into home schooling. Sending your child out to protest, or even allowing them to protest is pathetic!!!!
You want parents to homeschool.. News flash people work and it's not that easy to start a local team if we want to voice our opinions on what we believe is right that's our right to do it! You have no room to speak my mother allowe me to do this because I'm a varsity cheerleader and me and my team deserve a chance to do what we love and by have to go back to community teams ! We've been there done that and worked our asses off to get where we are now. So why don't you keep your come ya about how our parents raise us ad what they do wrong to yourself an worry about your children that probably have sex, get abortions ,smoke pot, and drink on the weekends . Thanks
Mec1027

Baldwinsville, NY

#23 Apr 6, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>It has EVERTHING to do with taxes you idiot! Apparently you're a renter or even better, a renter getting Section 8 subsidized in part by working New Hartford resident's income taxes. SCUMBAGS!
Actually I'm a 14 year old girl that is worried about my education and future opurtunities.It does not all deal with city taxes if your really wanted to start an argument I would have suggested you get your facts straight. How do you feel realizing you talk like this to kids like your something special why don't you watch your kids and what they do behind your back. and better yet get off your lazy ass and stop with the open forum shit talking you make yourself look pathetic!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hundreds of millions of dollars invested into C... 19 min Genius 10
Obama To Be Carved On Mt Rushmore 20 min truth 2
Nano Nano Part 1 22 min Genius 47
Cliffy's Rash is outta' control! (Apr '13) 24 min ROLOL 15
Cliffy Park looks at it on a Segway(with white ... (Apr '13) 28 min ROLOL 199
SSI Recipients To Receive $250.00 Christmas Bonus (Dec '12) 29 min Erica 25
Who is Michael Nassar 34 min Macy 11
wktv hits ultimate low 51 min Fetal Tazz Hanna 38
Why I left (and love it!) 1 hr Cretin is Riggie ... 94
cornhill protest 2 hr trash 26
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:52 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:52PM
Breaking Down Bills' Game Plan vs. Browns
Bleacher Report 8:32 PM
Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
Bleacher Report 8:32 PM
Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
Bleacher Report 9:03 PM
Breaking Down NY's Game Plan vs. Jacksonville
NBC Sports 4:13 AM
Muhammad Wilkerson likely to miss Week 13
NBC Sports 5:42 AM
Thursday morning one-liners
CBS Sports 7:11 AM
Jets name Geno Smith starter
NBC Sports 7:16 AM
Odell Beckham gives all the love to the glove
NBC Sports 7:16 AM
Odell Beckham gives all the love to the glove