Comments
1 - 20 of 53 Comments Last updated Jan 5, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
tacky

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 18, 2008
 

Judged:

1

When you hand them your debit card to pay, they ask you if you want to include their tip on it. Tacky. While MOST people do tip for hair and nail services, one should never assume.

Oh, and never leave them under 20% or they will rip you a new one.
me very happy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 18, 2008
 
this is not true, as if you use a debit card they are unable to take the tip, i have never had a problem there, i go to the one on commercial dr. they have never have asked for the tip. you must have misunderstood.
its true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 18, 2008
 
me very happy wrote:
this is not true, as if you use a debit card they are unable to take the tip, i have never had a problem there, i go to the one on commercial dr. they have never have asked for the tip. you must have misunderstood.
You're talking about fashion nails in the old pier one plaza. THEY can't add tips to cards. I believe the previous poster is talking about miracle nails which is in the orchard plaza where kohls is. Same thing happened to me there.
me NOT happy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 18, 2008
 
me very happy wrote:
this is not true, as if you use a debit card they are unable to take the tip, i have never had a problem there, i go to the one on commercial dr. they have never have asked for the tip. you must have misunderstood.
"You want me to add tip to card?"
Nope. I did not misunderstand. And by the way, why the hell don't we have choices in this area? Am I the only one who's tired of these assembly line nail salons? I want to find a place where they speak English, where they actually understand what you say rather than shake their head and smile and have no idea.
kitty

Tupper Lake, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 18, 2008
 
don't they do nails at regular salons in Utica? my hair salon does nails, but it's in syrause...and they speak english. when i lived in utica, i got my nails done at my regular salon, also.
Yea

Saratoga Springs, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 18, 2008
 
yea the same thing has happened to me at miracle nails. does anyone know what happened to Peter that used to work at Fashion Nails? I loved him, he did amazing air brush design, but I havent been able to find him since he left there a couple years ago!
me NOT happy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 18, 2008
 
Yea wrote:
yea the same thing has happened to me at miracle nails. does anyone know what happened to Peter that used to work at Fashion Nails? I loved him, he did amazing air brush design, but I havent been able to find him since he left there a couple years ago!
Not sure but I think I saw Peter at Century Nails in East Utica. And yes, he was good.
its true

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 18, 2008
 

Judged:

1

kitty wrote:
don't they do nails at regular salons in Utica? my hair salon does nails, but it's in syrause...and they speak english. when i lived in utica, i got my nails done at my regular salon, also.
Very few salons in the area have nail techs. The Vietnamese have taken over. It's too bad because with them, customer service comes last. All they're worried about is volume volume volume. Get 'em in and get 'em out.
not true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 19, 2008
 
there are still nail techs in salons to give pedicures and manicures however not a lot do acrylics because they are bad (Chemicals) for you and also because there is no money in them because of the fact all the asians. Also the asians are very dirty.
me very happy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 19, 2008
 
its true wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking about fashion nails in the old pier one plaza. THEY can't add tips to cards. I believe the previous poster is talking about miracle nails which is in the orchard plaza where kohls is. Same thing happened to me there.
Sorry, orchard plaza is overpriced and they do expect a large tip, i misunderstood.
there are still people who do nails-other than these chains for the person who is sick of them. maria at karen sutara's (spelling?) is the best around!
YOUR HEATH

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 20, 2008
 
IF YOU ARE A US CITIZEN YOU HAVE TO BE BOARD CITIFIED TO DO NAILS BUT ONLY ONE PERSON IN THOSE Vietnamese chains NEEDS TO BE LIC. AND THE GOV. LETS THEM DO NAILS UNDER THAT LIC. AND THEY DO NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SAME HEATH LAWS
What you need today

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 20, 2008
 
YOUR HEATH wrote:
IF YOU ARE A US CITIZEN YOU HAVE TO BE BOARD CITIFIED TO DO NAILS BUT ONLY ONE PERSON IN THOSE Vietnamese chains NEEDS TO BE LIC. AND THE GOV. LETS THEM DO NAILS UNDER THAT LIC. AND THEY DO NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SAME HEATH LAWS
Go figure. Well, i'm boycotting them as of now. I'm sick of their attitudes, thinking then own the market. Someone needs to open a nail salon where they follow the laws and they speak ENGLISH.
Two Hung Lo

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 20, 2008
 
Come see me I do your nails. 5 dollar. Me love you long time. Me so horny. Me love you long time. For 5 dollar you get everything. Me love you long time.
Cosmotini

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 21, 2008
 
I went the Miracle Nails a couple weeks ago and I have a pedicure. I had the money sitting out while my toes were drying and I was on the phone. The girl came over and grabbed the money. They she was complaining to someone about the tip I left her. First of all, she never asked me if I was all set, if she had I would of told her to hold on a second I needed to get more money for the tip out of my car. But since she just grabbed it from me and then complained about the $3.00 tip that was there screw her. I think that was very rude especially to complain infront of the customer about the tip. She was in such a rush to get me done to get the next person in shes lucky I even gave her a tip. And my polish didn't last long, it starting to chip off not to long after I got them painted.
No tip for you

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 21, 2008
 
Cosmotini wrote:
I went the Miracle Nails a couple weeks ago and I have a pedicure. I had the money sitting out while my toes were drying and I was on the phone. The girl came over and grabbed the money. They she was complaining to someone about the tip I left her. First of all, she never asked me if I was all set, if she had I would of told her to hold on a second I needed to get more money for the tip out of my car. But since she just grabbed it from me and then complained about the $3.00 tip that was there screw her. I think that was very rude especially to complain infront of the customer about the tip. She was in such a rush to get me done to get the next person in shes lucky I even gave her a tip. And my polish didn't last long, it starting to chip off not to long after I got them painted.
Trust me, they are FAMOUS for complaining about their tips. When I was ready tp oay the girl the last time I had my <crappy> pedicure, she asked me if I wanted her to put her tip on the card. What nerve. You should not EXPECT a tip. THEN, to make matters worse, I tipped her $5 on a $25 service that sucked. She's lucky she got that. These people think that because their place is decorated a little nicer than the others and because they massage your shoulders for a brief 20 seconds that they're 'high end'. Good luck. Their attitudes and lack of class shows right through. I'm done with them, and I know ALOT of people who feel the same way.
Wendy

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 21, 2008
 
Has anyone ever complained to the nail people and told them they are being rude? Or do you just take it and then tip them for being goofs to you?
kitty

North Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 21, 2008
 
Two Hung Lo wrote:
Come see me I do your nails. 5 dollar. Me love you long time. Me so horny. Me love you long time. For 5 dollar you get everything. Me love you long time.
funny!!
No tip for you

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 21, 2008
 
Wendy wrote:
Has anyone ever complained to the nail people and told them they are being rude? Or do you just take it and then tip them for being goofs to you?
Why bother? She'll just nod their head and smile.
Hysterical

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 21, 2008
 
Actually if you don't get a good mani or pedi you should just say they look like sh&t and I'm not coming back and not tip them,
If you get a good mani or pedi then you should be tipping them good. When you tip good then you get better service. If you can't afford to leave a good tip you shouldnt be getting the mani and pedi.
No tip for you

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 21, 2008
 
Hysterical wrote:
Actually if you don't get a good mani or pedi you should just say they look like sh&t and I'm not coming back and not tip them,
If you get a good mani or pedi then you should be tipping them good. When you tip good then you get better service. If you can't afford to leave a good tip you shouldnt be getting the mani and pedi.
Maybe you misunderstood my post. I have NO PROBLEM leaving a more than decent tip for a GOOD service. I get mani/pedi's once a month, 12 months a year. Money is not my issue. My issue is with these people who have taken over the nail industry. They think that because they have a nice decor that you should tip them well. I tip extremely well when I think the service I received is worthy of it.

However, I have to disagree with you regarding your comment 'if you can't afford to leave a good tip, you shouldn't be getting the mani/pedi.' A tip should NEVER be EXPECTED. You pay for the service, the tip is extra. Sure, it's nice to give and receive a nice tip. But it is not required and therefore should never be EXPECTED. And furthermore, the service you get should never be a reflection of whether or not you're a 'good tipper'. Maybe the tip isn't good because the service wasn't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

54 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
AT&T Wireless Vs. Verizon Wireless (Jan '09) 7 min Disgusted 9
Wetlands permit for Marcy Nanocenter site OK'd 15 min Truth 109
Rumors JV Basketball coach to apply for Var. po... 46 min Tom 2
Cross on mountain seen from thruway (Jul '08) 3 hr Debbie 23
add a word drop a word (Aug '10) 5 hr UticaNY 5,584
WKTV's new broadcast desk 5 hr Danny 71
Jason Powles is FAT 5 hr Jack Spratt 17
Riggie is scared 6 hr PAC Lies and Riggies 20
Policelli twins transfering to ND for basketball. 7 hr Utica Sambo Tech Summit 38
Andrew Brindisi charged in April Hit and Run A... 7 hr Felons R YOU 38
•••
•••
•••
Utica Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••