Boy, 15 pleads not guilty to murder of 22-year-old

Marcos Escareno, the 15-year-old Manchester boy on trial for murder, entered a not guilty plea Thursday, almost a year after his arrest. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Knight

Winchester, KY

#1 Jan 25, 2008
In all the articles posted on this case, NOT once have I read anything in regards to the fact of rehabilitation, counseling, efforts to help this "child". Seem the tunnel vision FOCUS, is "punishment only". Crime is NOT condoned, but this is a "child", who desperately need help, along with compassion and mercy. Victims are NOT forgotten, but this child is also a "victim" of a "broken" "system"
Children, as a matter of "medical facts", are "NOT" adults.
Where is the "justice" for this "child"?
JUDITH

United States

#2 Jan 25, 2008
The young adult Marcos Escareno became an adult when he picked up a gun and shot to death a 22 year old man. Escareno should be tried as an adult and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Also the parents of this young adult should be held responsible and charged with first degree murder. I'm not a lawyer but the parents or guardian of this killer should be accountable for it's gaining access to guns and bullets killing a man. By what authority does Escareno have to take a mans life? Only Almighty God gives life and only Almighty God takes life.

Deuteronomy 19:11-13
Stacey

New York, NY

#3 Jan 27, 2008
CHILDREN are never ADULTS and therefore should not be treated as such. This boy can't vote, drive, buy alcohol or cigarettes because HE IS NOT 18. How is the fact that he is a MINOR gets tossed out the window when they want to TRY HIM AS AN ADULT in a court of law? He does have to be held accountable for what he has done, but it should be done in the juvenile system where he belongs and where he can be REHABILITATED and receive whatever medical counseling he obviously needs NONE of which he would receive in PRISON! This would be best for this child and society on the whole!
Christopher

Jackson St Forest, CA

#4 Jan 29, 2008
Hey Judith, your ideas about this case offensive and laughable. You summed it up well with "I am not a lawyer". You should have stopped there. Quoting ancient texts that only applied to a desert dwelling people is just another indication of your ignorance.
JusticeforMarcos

Zelienople, PA

#5 Jan 29, 2008
JUDITH wrote:
The young adult Marcos Escareno became an adult when he picked up a gun and shot to death a 22 year old man. Escareno should be tried as an adult and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Also the parents of this young adult should be held responsible and charged with first degree murder. I'm not a lawyer but the parents or guardian of this killer should be accountable for it's gaining access to guns and bullets killing a man. By what authority does Escareno have to take a mans life? Only Almighty God gives life and only Almighty God takes life.
Deuteronomy 19:11-13
Judith
You are assuming that he committed this crime, everyone in the Judicial system is afforded the opportunity to put on a defense. He is presumed innocent.

While I respect your opinion and your right to state it, you really don't know the facts of his case. Very few people do. It is a scientific and none fact that a childs brain is not fully developed nor does it function as an adult. This fact alone warrants a trial in Juvenile court where ALL of the issues can be raised.

While juveniles do commit serious crimes, trying them as a juvenile does not afford them a free pass if found guilty. The law states that if we are accused of a crime we should be judged by a jury of our peers. Would you be willing to seat a jury of 14 year olds that grew up on the reservation?

I invite and encourage you to look into the case, and the issues of Juveniles caught in the adult system. Marcos' is worth it.

Thank you.
mendomania

Santa Rosa, CA

#6 Jan 30, 2008
I say throw the punk in jail where he belongs. Another menace to society.....
Knight

Winchester, KY

#7 Feb 3, 2008
No one is "condoning" a crime, but this child has been crucified by the public, and the media, he has been convicted "before a trial". Everyone has a "right" by "law", to be heard, and face their accusers.
To blast "this child" as in the above statement, shows clearly shows the ignorance of many in general society. If this case WAS YOUR CHILD, would you be so willing to say "throw this punk away?? Children are human too, and by law, deserves the protections of.
Fact Finder

Washington, DC

#8 Oct 15, 2008
Here is a article.....
Boy, 14, charged as adult in shooting death of sister's boyfriend

A 14-year-old boy accused of gunning down his sister's boyfriend on a small American Indian reservation shook his head and cried Friday as he was charged as an adult with murder.Marcos C. Escareno did not enter a plea in Mendocino County Superior Court because his family asked for more time to hire a lawyer. He was held at juvenile hall in lieu of $550,000 bail and his arraignment was postponed until Feb. 21.

The teen used a rifle Tuesday to shoot Enoc Cruz, 21, in the head and back as the man sat behind the wheel of his van near Escareno's home on the Manchester-Point Arena Rancheria, said Mendocino County Sheriff's Lt. Kurt Smallcomb.

Cruz dated Escareno's 22-year-old sister, but investigators would did not discuss a possible motive in the killing.

The suspect, who arrived in court wearing an orange jail shirt with his hands shackled at his waist, is a member of the Manchester Band of Pomo Indians, a tribe spokesman said.

Escareno was arrested at his mother's house on the rancheria, a small reservation where 250 members of the Pomo tribe live near the coast about 140 miles north of San Francisco.

The boy could be sentenced to up to life in prison if convicted of first-degree murder as an adult. His mother, aunt and two of his sisters wept in court during the short hearing.

Escareno's mother, Mary Logan, said she didn't know what happened and that her son did not have other problems with the law.

"No, no, never," she said as she sobbed outside the courtroom.

However, Smallcomb said deputies were familiar with the boy. He had been due in juvenile court next week, but authorities declined to say what charges he faced in that case.
Fact Finder

Washington, DC

#9 Oct 15, 2008
yes 471
66%
no 234
33%
Current Total 705
Looks like theres not many Lintott Supporters.
Maybe it's because she like to try children as adults and put 14 year old mentally disabled children in Jail with adults.
Most people don't support adult punishment for kids.
Kids in Cages is just WRONG!
RECALL LINTOTT 2008!
Lintott Defends her Actions!
Hinthil

Menlo Park, CA

#10 Dec 17, 2008
I know this family, and i must say that the teen who kill this man was very abuse by his mother. He doesn't even his father. by the way his mother was having an affair with a married man and that's who his father is. Mary Logan who is the boys mother is a druggie and alcoholic so that was his family life in a nut shell. who's to blame is the parents!
to tell the truth

Marysville, CA

#11 Dec 18, 2008
If they don't have the rights of adults they should have the right to be a child.

Since: Dec 08

Dublin, CA

#12 Dec 18, 2008
Stacey wrote:
CHILDREN are never ADULTS and therefore should not be treated as such. This boy can't vote, drive, buy alcohol or cigarettes because HE IS NOT 18. How is the fact that he is a MINOR gets tossed out the window when they want to TRY HIM AS AN ADULT in a court of law? He does have to be held accountable for what he has done, but it should be done in the juvenile system where he belongs and where he can be REHABILITATED and receive whatever medical counseling he obviously needs NONE of which he would receive in PRISON! This would be best for this child and society on the whole!
more than half those kids who go into juvenile facilities, come out even worse. they then think it is ok to act on stupidity, and will just get a slap on the wrist. They need to be treated like an adult!!
to tell the truth

Sacramento, CA

#13 Dec 20, 2008
Ameri-cali wrote:
<quoted text>
more than half those kids who go into juvenile facilities, come out even worse. they then think it is ok to act on stupidity, and will just get a slap on the wrist. They need to be treated like an adult!!
And out of state or federal prison they come out better?
If you want to give them the responsibilities and consequences of adults then give them All the rights of adults, drinking, smoking, sex, contracts...

Since: Dec 08

Oakland, CA

#14 Dec 21, 2008
to tell the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And out of state or federal prison they come out better?
If you want to give them the responsibilities and consequences of adults then give them All the rights of adults, drinking, smoking, sex, contracts...
Not that they come out better, but if they do the crime, they should do the time. not get pacified and rewarded for their actions. not sitting in a little boys club somewhere hanging out with other juvenile delinquents,watching t.v . They need the shit scared out of them, if anything it might straighten them up a bit.
oh, and JFYI, most of the little bastards do all the above listed behaviors already, that might even be why they are sitting where they are.
nancy rodriguez

Willits, CA

#15 Jan 9, 2009
i think you shouldnt put him for life in prison
Local

United States

#16 Jan 12, 2009
Hinthil wrote:
I know this family, and i must say that the teen who kill this man was very abuse by his mother. He doesn't even his father. by the way his mother was having an affair with a married man and that's who his father is. Mary Logan who is the boys mother is a druggie and alcoholic so that was his family life in a nut shell. who's to blame is the parents!
NEITHER OF THE PARENTS PICKED UP THE GUN AND SHOT THIS MAN. I don't care what his mother or father did WHAT THIS BOY DID WAS WRONG.
Mike

Montgomery, AL

#17 Jan 13, 2009
Children are never adults huh? It doesn't matter that he was abused by his parents or not. That is no excuse for murder. He is old enough to know right from wrong. He knew exactly what he was doing when he picked up the gun and shot the guy. He should be tried as an adult and sent to prison.
to tell the truth

United States

#18 Jan 13, 2009
Mike wrote:
Children are never adults huh? It doesn't matter that he was abused by his parents or not. That is no excuse for murder. He is old enough to know right from wrong. He knew exactly what he was doing when he picked up the gun and shot the guy. He should be tried as an adult and sent to prison.
NO ADULT RIGHTS==NO ADULT CONSEQUENCES
It can't go both ways.
Shame on Lintot, she needs to go.
RAIDER

Healdsburg, CA

#19 Jan 13, 2009
All of you liberals who keep referring to this murder as a child should try and empathise a little more with the victim and a little less with the suspect. I wonder if you would care what kind of home life this 14 year old had if he was crawling through your bedroom window at 2 a.m. Quite worrying about why they are the way they are, and concentrate on protecting the good citizens against this kind of vermin. People are not tv sets that can be fixed when broken. If you have committed murder, bye bye, we dont want to fix you, we want to remove you.
to tell the truth

United States

#20 Jan 13, 2009
If someone crawled through my bedroom window I would shoot first and ask questions later..self-defense you know.
But if this person survived and was a 14 year old I would expect him to be tried as a child.
NO ADULT RIGHTS==NO ADULT CONSEQUENCES
It can't go both ways.
Shame on Lintot, she needs to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ukiah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Troll Camp 3 hr I voted did you 21
Red tags coming off Ukiah's Palace Hotel Tue I voted did you 11
Why oslama is Desperate to Bury Benghazi (May '14) Tue I voted did you 16
Affordable Care Act Working Mon I voted did you 21
methhead post links that prove oslama was wrong Mon I voted did you 2
Ukiah Police Dept. to get two new cars Mon I voted did you 5
Rafael 'filo' Ayala Nov 23 just wondering 1

Ukiah News Video

Ukiah Dating
Find my Match

Ukiah People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ukiah News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ukiah

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:06 pm PST

NBC Sports 9:06PM
Charles Woodson has no intention to retire after this season
NBC Sports 9:50 PM
Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report10:29 PM
5 Bold Predictions for Oakland Raiders' Week 13 Matchup
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 13: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Seahawks vs. 49ers
Bleacher Report 9:13 AM
Fallon's 49ers-Seahawks Superlatives