California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
3,261 - 3,280 of 4,978 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Puckered

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

Who really care?

I sure don't.
NoBlamer 2012

Mt Meadows Area, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

mexica wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY!!! Finally, someone hit the jackpot! This is what is all about! Not the environment!
we should annex maywood to messyhole

what a disgusting cesspool you illegal invaders have turned so cal into
J more

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Just more trash talking republican/tea party nation members.
California is killing me

Murrieta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

it isn't bad enough that we pay some of the highest prices in the nation at the gas pump...for real estate, taxes, fees etc..etc..etc..and now THIS!!!! Plastic goddamn bags!!!!
California thinks it can squeeze EVERY penny out of our pockets until the well runs dry just so they can stuff as many of our hard earned dollars in their friggen pockets! These fat cats that run California is out for themselves and looking at everything to tax or make us pay a fee for...well they have done that to death and now they have nothing left to tax or fee us on so lets make an issue out of plastic or paper bags...give me a friggen break man...what will they find next to fee us or tax us on? For smiling....for talking...oh..I know..pay a fee for anyone who has run out of gas and has to WALK on the city streets to get to a gas station..that should be worth a few million as it has been happening a lot to people who live HERE!!! STOP it!!! STOP it!!! Stop the craziness!!!!
Go Blue

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

IT COULD BE WORSE......Romney's coming now, for your donations.....he usually expects them in incriments of.....30 pieces of silver, at a time....
Mon Sign or

Monrovia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Still stuck on S T U P I D and no stop sign in sight.

Oh wait, I see a bridge out sign instead.
Lefty Coast

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

The Planet Of California gets what it deserves.
Happy feet

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Just more 'happy feet' that are stepping on this tone deaf topic.
LUNA

Norwalk, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

mexica wrote:
<quoted text>
thank california liberals and ideas, it has driven the country far longer than any stuckup conservative state.
So if we are the same and one, why can't you put me/us away? seems you are weak and don't have the knowledge to defeat me/us. ha ha ha. Should be easy to defeat us, knowing we're the same person, no mexibitch, vladabitch LOL you have been defeated this is factual! It is my hobby now to place you into a state of being embarrassed; and from the ambiguity in your comments, you are generally contrasted with vagueness with your attempts of defense to prove everyone wrong about your ignorances. You pathetically suffer a a mental state of being uninformed and lack knowledge where your tactics have only caused everyone a suspicion and mistrust towards you, we vision you only as a pissed off black skinned chicano defending yourself and presenting idiotic excuses for your actions! The truth bothers you deeply mexica, otherwise you wouldn't xecert so much efforts into monitoring every post on topix and rushing to insult those who voice their oppositions to your rhetorical strategies. I have all the time in the world to send you 1000's of rebuttals to your chicano propaganda and disarm your fallacious critisism of others. All your comments here on topix are simplistic and geared towards spreading your racist agenda; that is usually an error in reasoning often due to your misconceptions or presumptions in your efforts to describe something that is commonly believed to be true in your mind, but is in fact false! You mislead your race, lie to them in hopes of persuading your nonexistent audience. In other words mexibitch, no one agrees with you except for your alter ego! The real and genuine loser here in you and only you, end of story.
LUNA

Norwalk, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

mexibitch, vladabitch LOL you have been defeated this is factual! It is my hobby now to place you into a state of being embarrassed; and from the ambiguity in your comments, you are generally contrasted with vagueness with your attempts of defense to prove everyone wrong about your ignorances. You pathetically suffer a a mental state of being uninformed and lack knowledge where your tactics have only caused everyone a suspicion and mistrust towards you, we vision you only as a pissed off black skinned chicano defending yourself and presenting idiotic excuses for your actions! The truth bothers you deeply mexica, otherwise you wouldn't xecert so much efforts into monitoring every post on topix and rushing to insult those who voice their oppositions to your rhetorical strategies. I have all the time in the world to send you 1000's of rebuttals to your chicano propaganda and disarm your fallacious critisism of others. All your comments here on topix are simplistic and geared towards spreading your racist agenda; that is usually an error in reasoning often due to your misconceptions or presumptions in your efforts to describe something that is commonly believed to be true in your mind, but is in fact false! You mislead your race, lie to them in hopes of persuading your nonexistent audience. In other words mexibitch, no one agrees with you except for your alter ego! The real and genuine loser here in you and only you, end of story.
Luggy leauger

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

More of the same is always the worst step.

“Soy un hombre apuesto espanol”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Mexica/vlad is “A” person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, he is especially one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. Mexica/vlad is “A” person with social behavior and political views held to be influenced by private interest.
Mexica/vlad is a revealer of embarrassing his own race! Obtaining an alter ego to sustain his beliefs is noticeable by his secondary screen names in these forums.
His postings on topix are dogmatic which is characterized by his expression of opinions very strongly or positively as if they were facts, knowing the information is not factual.
His ideas are ludicrous misinterpretations of evidence regarding past civilizations. Arguing with mexica/vlad is pointless as he is noted and labeled as a scandalous hypocrite, making offensive comments to other Latino people who he strongly and unfairly dislikes; he especially hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group such as a racial group or religious group, mainly El Salvadorians, South Americans, Guatemalans, Americans, and Europeans.
His attempts to teach racism to other Latin people are ineffective, useless and incapable or producing any results as the vast population of Hispanic/Latin people disagrees with the political and racial ideologies of mexica/vlad, who is himself seemingly contradictory in his statements that consists of a logical incompatibility!
Mexica/vlad displays a lack of education by his chronic use of Broken English that is fragmented, incomplete, and/or marked by faulty syntax and inappropriate diction!
If indeed this man/person was truly educated in college as he professes, surely he would communicate in an appropriate manner with the use of college level English grammar! He contradicts his fraudulent claims of “college educated” by his inability to construct a proper sentence with chronic use of Broken English.
Persons possessing college education are capable of speaking both English and Spanish properly, correctly, grammatically precise and without a foreign accent! Mexica/vlad fails in his capability to prove otherwise that he is nothing more than an ignorant bigot lacking education. It would seem genuinely accurate to classify mexica/vlad as a true bigot!
I am all for getting rid of plastic all together, but what other choice do we have? If we use paper, the environmentalists have a fit, if you use plastic the same! What would be the solution to this dilemma?....SIMPLE...bring your own reusable cotton bags!
Green or blue

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

And he ocean is what color?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

mexica wrote:
<quoted text>
thank california liberals and ideas, it has driven the country far longer than any stuckup conservative state.
LMAO, Due to Liberal political ideology, California is bankrupt, and has been for a decade now. The liberals have given it all away for votes to stay in power. Soon California will fall victim to the parasites looking for a host to feed on! Manufacturing companies and businesses have either moved overseas or out of State! Facts that can't be disproven!
Porky

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

Just a fat hog on the issue.
Spotter

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

You've been spotted acting like a roller coaster.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Figures you would come up with a remark this stupid and lacking intellectual quality! You are of no significants here you dumbazz. Go learn something, or are you not capable of having an IQ? You just full of uneducated nonsense you gig up off the Internet! Imagine that! I think you're attempting to imposter yourself as an educated man, when in fact you are just as dumb as the indigenous people the conquistadors from Spain spoke of in their documentation to the King of Spain 400 years ago, on how savage and worthless the indigenous aztec mexica were! You're the same way now 2012

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

California is killing me wrote:
it isn't bad enough that we pay some of the highest prices in the nation at the gas pump...for real estate, taxes, fees etc..etc..etc..and now THIS!!!! Plastic goddamn bags!!!!
California thinks it can squeeze EVERY penny out of our pockets until the well runs dry just so they can stuff as many of our hard earned dollars in their friggen pockets! These fat cats that run California is out for themselves and looking at everything to tax or make us pay a fee for...well they have done that to death and now they have nothing left to tax or fee us on so lets make an issue out of plastic or paper bags...give me a friggen break man...what will they find next to fee us or tax us on? For smiling....for talking...oh..I know..pay a fee for anyone who has run out of gas and has to WALK on the city streets to get to a gas station..that should be worth a few million as it has been happening a lot to people who live HERE!!! STOP it!!! STOP it!!! Stop the craziness!!!!
Don't forget that much of the money goes to taking care of the illegal aliens that have invaded California and the idiots running the State want to buy the illegal alien vote. Everyone knows that the liberals have figured out a way to get illegal votes from illegal aliens. Ever heard of the fake polling booths set up in parkinglots where the illegals vote? It's true! Blame the illegal aliens too for the huge downfall of California. It's a welfare State for illegal aliens. Invaders!
Flares

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Judged:

More than enough, but it's still weak.

But who bothers to read them anyway, just post over and move on.

And hope their parents make them go to bed.
dogs rule

Coos Bay, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

David wrote:
Social engineering strikes again. What a waste of time and effort. And the authors of this legislation probably think they are saving the world ... How about solving the real issues?

I agree... why ban one plastic product and not all of them? I want to know what the REAL agenda is behind this issue, cuz it is clearly NOT about these bags in landfills. When these bags are outlawed, then ppl will use the expensive and thicker, slower to break down hefty garbage bags to pollute the landfills.. any civic engineer knows this... and so should any thinking American.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Ukiah News Video

•••
•••

Ukiah Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ukiah People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ukiah News, Events & Info