Post office marks 140 years in Potter Valley

Full story: The Ukiah Daily Journal

If you walk into the Potter Valley Post Office, chances are you'll be greeted with the smiling face of Deana Mullin.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Liz

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

It is amazing that the post office has been there that long. I know my ancestors hit the valley in the early 1860's which were the Vanns and the Neals. When I moved from the area I believe that Lois Bevins was the post mistress and somewhere in there also was Mrs. McGlothlin. Her daughter Cheryl and I were lab partners at PVHS then.
Larcye Wright

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Congratulations, Potter Valley and Deana. Your smile still as bright as ever!
Paige Poulos

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Thank you for covering this important bit of Potter Valley and Mendocino County history. Our family, the Griffits, had been here for more than a decade before the post office opened, and I am sure it was cause for celebration to get a service this important in the valley. Deana has made the post office a very special local gathering place and we are all looking forward to a 150 year celebration ten years hence.
Ray Thompson

Burlingame, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Liz, Thanks for the post office history. I was great friends and related to first grade school chum Raymond Vann in the mid 40's. Any relation? According to family history, between the two of us, we really caused Mrs. Spotswood to earn her salary. She got even though, she flunked both of us!

She must have been a pretty good teacher though because my family moved to Ukiah when school started and I was skipped through second grade and placed in the 3rd grade! lol I haven't heard hide nor hair of Raymond since leaving the valley in 1946. I would appreciate any info on Raymond. e-mail me at ray at jpru2 dot com. Thanks!
Ray Thompson

Burlingame, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Oops! e-mail is, ray@jp4u2.com Thanks
Koalabear2525

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

lets hope it stays in the same spot for a few more years .
Liz

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Ray Thompson wrote:
Liz, Thanks for the post office history. I was great friends and related to first grade school chum Raymond Vann in the mid 40's. Any relation? According to family history, between the two of us, we really caused Mrs. Spotswood to earn her salary. She got even though, she flunked both of us!
She must have been a pretty good teacher though because my family moved to Ukiah when school started and I was skipped through second grade and placed in the 3rd grade! lol I haven't heard hide nor hair of Raymond since leaving the valley in 1946. I would appreciate any info on Raymond. e-mail me at ray at jpru2 dot com. Thanks!
I don't have an idea who Ray was. My adoptive mom was Eleanor Vann. She also had Olga as a teacher back in the 20's. I have a photo of her with her first grade class from then. I went to PV from 1965 to 1970 when the public highschool was closed down. I lived on Cold Creek in the large ranch type house at the PV turnoff.I will look him up in the PV history and the Vann family history when I cn get them out of storage. My grandparents were Finis and Laurs Vann.
Ray Thompson

Burlingame, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Thanks a bunch Liz! I'll add the Vann family names you provided to my Ancestry.com database and see what comes up. When you get a chance to check out the PV and Vann history I would love to hear what you find out. Also, there was a great history compiled a few years back. I bought a copy but it got away from me. Would you know anything about it?
Thanks again, Liz
Ray

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Ukiah Forum right now

Search the Ukiah Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Tell us what it is like mickey 10 min GMO and Gitmo One 27
Nobama gets slapped in the face again 17 min another one 1
Most Americans believe nobama lies on important... 27 min another one 1
Clintons dog is pregnant 32 min another one 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr Activity 15,657
Electricity Price Surged to All-Time Record for... 4 hr another one 1
wondering why the U.S. economy can't seem to grow 5 hr another one 1
•••
•••

Ukiah News Video

•••
Ukiah Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Ukiah Jobs

•••