Comments
101 - 120 of 231 Comments Last updated Sunday Aug 24
Saylor

Erbil, Iraq

#102 Mar 8, 2011
I agree with Birdie. Maybe other Teen Challenges are good, but TC of NM is the worst of the worst. I would feel so much better if it were shut down, as I'd imagine would all of us (who are no longer brain-washed).
Against TC-NM

Tulsa, OK

#103 Mar 10, 2011
Teen Challenge, New Mexico should be shut down. My son is still struggling to advance in life after being there. He learned nothing about real life, only their version of 'what is right', which is hogwash or whatever they want it to be. Kathy and Lynn (I can't bring myself to call them 'sister and brother' are hypocrites and terrible people. I will do anything in my power until that place is shut down, and more young people aren't harmed by this institution. They are fake. The only person I respect there is Brother Mario.. he is the only reason my son was able to get out. That was after a court order for him to stay and get his diploma, only to 'graduate' under duress with a GED when all was said and done. They make up their own rules and have no regard for the law, or what is 'right'.
SingingPraises

Farmville, NC

#104 Mar 20, 2011
Has anyone recently gone throught the programs in NC? Looking for a place for detox and rehab. No insurance or money to pay for an expensive program. Teen Challenge sounds just what I am looking for but have read positive and negative experiences. Anything recent????
Grace4All wrote:
I have 2 sons who have gone through the Teen Challenge program. Before going they were both severely addicted to drugs and one of my sons was suicidial/homicidal. He had been in a mental hospital 3 times. The 2 Teen Challenges my sons went to were the greatest. They weren't easy, but there were never any horror stories. Both my boys are doing great! They are completely transformed and are now reaching out to other hurting people. Please don't judge all Teen Challenges by a few bad apples! There are some great ones out there. You just have to find them. Also, the person addicted REALLY has to WANT to be helped. My boys are better for going and are now an asset to society. A praise God for Teen Challenge. Through Christ, and the sacrifice of the Teen Challenge staff, the lives of my 2 sons were saved. The two they attended were Appalachian Teen Challenge in West Virginia and Sandhills Teen Challenge in North Carolina (which is a 4 month induction center) then after the first 4 months Sandhills transfers them to Rehrersburg, Pennsylvania. I have personally seen Teen Challenge and what they teach transform many, many hopeless lives. PLEASE, again, don't judge all Teen Challenges by a few bad ones. People's lives are truly at stake!
UNKNOWN

Albuquerque, NM

#105 Apr 15, 2011
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
teenchallenge helps people live better lives and it's your choice if you want to get messed up or survive when you leave the program
Negative! TC of NM prepares you for nothing in real life!! If you don't agree with what those hypocrites Lin and Kathy believe, then you are automatically "falling back in sin" and are "disobedient". You have to do what they want you to do, thus making you feel guilty if you don't feel the same way. Does this kind of ideology sound familiar? Hmmm....sounds like Communism. No free thinking or opinions. Yeah, that doesn't really sound like it helps people "live better lives".
Leeyo

Fort Worth, TX

#106 May 14, 2011
Teen Challenge Exposed wrote:
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.
http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
im a teen challenge graduate from teen challnge in arizona which happens to be 13 months and now am working as a staff member. And really it only works if you are good and ready to surrender to christ. But teen challenge gave me the tools I needed to give my life over to christ and eventually he saved my life from 47 years in prison and 6 years of mixed drug use PRAISE GOD AMEN.
Leeyo

Fort Worth, TX

#107 May 14, 2011
Against TC-NM wrote:
Teen Challenge, New Mexico should be shut down. My son is still struggling to advance in life after being there. He learned nothing about real life, only their version of 'what is right', which is hogwash or whatever they want it to be. Kathy and Lynn (I can't bring myself to call them 'sister and brother' are hypocrites and terrible people. I will do anything in my power until that place is shut down, and more yeople aren't harmed by this institution. They are fake. The only person I respect there is Mario.. he is the only reason my son was able to get out. That was after a court order for him to stay and get his diploma, only to 'graduate' under duress with a GED when all was said and done. They make up their own rules and have no regard for the law, or what is 'right'.
teen challenge nm does not need to be destroyed because nm need a really good teen challenge program. Im from nm but a grad of teen challenge arizona and my life has been totally transformed by christ but us new mexicans and christians need to pray for that center and work to make a change.
Leeyo

Fort Worth, TX

#108 May 14, 2011
Saylor wrote:
I agree with Birdie. Maybe other Teen Challenges are good, but TC of NM is the worst of the worst. I would feel so much better if it were shut down, as I'd imagine would all of us (who are no longer brain-washed).
i agree that its not ran right it needs grace and by all means I want to make a change but new mexico needs a teen challnge. just not one ran like a boot camp. Plus It took a good brain washing to transform my life my brain wasnt really clean if u know what I mean but I have 2 years serving the lord and sober.
Graduate

Raleigh, NC

#109 Aug 20, 2011
I am grateful for teen challenge because I am now after many years a correctional officer instead of an inmate. Teen Challenge showed me what is real and what is not real.
Jeannie Peters Chambers

Mesquite, TX

#110 Aug 26, 2011
Graduate wrote:
I am grateful for teen challenge because I am now after many years a correctional officer instead of an inmate. Teen Challenge showed me what is real and what is not real.
Yes I did not Graduate from New Mexico but they turned my life around.Gods Word is not brainwashing its a sword and a daily helper to guide u in ur day by day though life!. Ty Sister Kathy & Bro Lin! May God Bless U and kep u both!
Jeannie Peters Chambers

Mesquite, TX

#111 Aug 26, 2011
Graduate wrote:
I am grateful for teen challenge because I am now after many years a correctional officer instead of an inmate. Teen Challenge showed me what is real and what is not real.
Yes I did not Graduate from New Mexico but they turned my life around.Gods Word is not brainwashing its a sword and a daily helper to guide u in ur day by day though life!. Ty Sister Kathy & Bro Lin! May God Bless U and keep u both!
Concerned Aunt

United States

#112 Sep 9, 2011
My husband and I have had our now 13 almost 14 year old nephew for the past 3.5 years. He comes from 2 meth addict parents, a history of smoking pot, drinking, trying ecstasy, stealing, lying, manipulating, and violence ALL starting at around age 7. When we got him he was 10 and has constantly been in therapy since then, has made some positive changes but keeps for the most part reverting to the same negative behavior. He is now the age his parents where when they started using meth and has already made friends with a kid who was caught with it last year. When we told him he couldnt hang out with this kid he almost freaked out. We are desperate and at the end of our rope. We dont own a house, have a large retirement fund, or have family that can produce the expensive tuitions of most TC or other boot camps, mostly because we are only 26 and taking this kid in has put us in debt. We have tried everything with him except sending him to a camp. We searched and searched and out of all the camps NM is the only one that is willing to work with us financially. I hear all these negative reviews and I don't want to make the wrong choice. I would just hate that someone taking their anger out on Teen Challenge would exaggerate anything that went on there, because I GUARANTEE you this kid will end up in juvenille hall if not dead within the next year. It terrifies us that he will end up like his father who has spent more time in jail and prison then out - has the mind of a 12 year old in a 31 year olds body. Sadly he is going exactly down that same path, only worse and at a younger age. I feel like Teen Challenge would be a last resort - is there anyone that attended the boys camp that can give any helpful information? Do they allow you to drop the kids off in person and see the facility? Or have visits in person?
Butterfly

Valparaiso, IN

#113 Sep 13, 2011
I am in a very similar situation! I would also like feedback from a young man who has recently been a part of the TC in NM. There are two sides to every story. As a whole is the TC in NM safe and do the staff truly care? Are they trained specialists? What happens if a parent decides to pull the child from the program? Please help.
Concerned Aunt wrote:
My husband and I have had our now 13 almost 14 year old nephew for the past 3.5 years. He comes from 2 meth addict parents, a history of smoking pot, drinking, trying ecstasy, stealing, lying, manipulating, and violence ALL starting at around age 7. When we got him he was 10 and has constantly been in therapy since then, has made some positive changes but keeps for the most part reverting to the same negative behavior. He is now the age his parents where when they started using meth and has already made friends with a kid who was caught with it last year. When we told him he couldnt hang out with this kid he almost freaked out. We are desperate and at the end of our rope. We dont own a house, have a large retirement fund, or have family that can produce the expensive tuitions of most TC or other boot camps, mostly because we are only 26 and taking this kid in has put us in debt. We have tried everything with him except sending him to a camp. We searched and searched and out of all the camps NM is the only one that is willing to work with us financially. I hear all these negative reviews and I don't want to make the wrong choice. I would just hate that someone taking their anger out on Teen Challenge would exaggerate anything that went on there, because I GUARANTEE you this kid will end up in juvenille hall if not dead within the next year. It terrifies us that he will end up like his father who has spent more time in jail and prison then out - has the mind of a 12 year old in a 31 year olds body. Sadly he is going exactly down that same path, only worse and at a younger age. I feel like Teen Challenge would be a last resort - is there anyone that attended the boys camp that can give any helpful information? Do they allow you to drop the kids off in person and see the facility? Or have visits in person?
NO DETAIL

North Hollywood, CA

#114 Oct 27, 2011
Kleyva wrote:
I too went to Teen Challenge of New Mexico. It is abusive and brain washing. Although I am a contribute to society the experience has scared me. Cleaning dumpsters with a toothbrush, both trailers are mice infested, gifts are not accepted from family unless they contribute. It is a mess over there. I am in contact with not one but SEVEN girls some graduates some not that all share horrible experiences. Final thought, if your work is not satisfactory to the director it you will stay for at least three years. That time leaves a younge girl or boy unprepared for real life and afraid to speak a mind of there own.<quoted text>
I have A QUESTION ABOUT TEEN CHALLENGE IN NM.. IS THERE ANY CONTACT WITH THEM AT ALL.. LIKE IF I WAS A PARENT CAN I CALL THEM OR WRITE LETTERS??
`
emahan

Mesa, AZ

#115 Nov 12, 2011
Saylor wrote:
By the way, all you Teen Challenge of New Mexico - goers: it seems we all went around the same time frame, 1998-2002 area...Is it possible that we can talk about this stuff, maybe through an email chain with all of us, or something more private? I realized as I was reading all your emails that I've buried a lot of stuff from that place. It's all very emotional. If it's too much to ask, or if it'll upset you, I don't want that. Just for anyone else who maybe thinks it'll help them to get some stuff out, especially to someone who went to the same place and experienced the same stuff....my email is dreasaylor@yahoo.com I think "Nicky" might be more familiar but I go by "Andrea" now...Thanks all and take care!
P.S. I'm still looking for Toni, if anyone can help me with that...I have a feeling if we ever do re-connect we'll still hit it off the same :)
I think I know whoch toni your talking about :) I was there in this time frame.
donnie monroe

Waynesboro, VA

#116 Jan 16, 2012
Iam a past graduate from the applachian tc. To bad everyone could not go there. I seen God perform mirwcles that yruly would bring tears to your eyes. Mr. Nickels runs a very tiyht ship but he has that relationship, with God that everyone should have. Iam an ex-skinhead turned choir boy and evangelist. God changed me let Him change you
Nonna6

Warrenton, VA

#117 Apr 9, 2012
And where is your proof. I'm getting ready to send my son there.
Teen Challenge Exposed wrote:
A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.
http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
Nonna6

Warrenton, VA

#118 Apr 9, 2012
Where is your proof that Teen Challenge is an abusive Christian program? I'm getting ready to send my son there.
angie

Gainesville, FL

#119 Apr 11, 2012
i have a 16 year daughter who i was thinking about sending my daughter to the the location in new mexico and we are from out of state i need honest truth if my daughter will be ok there or will she be abused or neglected other teen challenge we cant go to because its over 2500.00 a month cant afford that and the location in new mexico would take her regardless of the money issues so any real truth please would help me thank you

my email address is faithgrace5@hotmail.com
mona

Albuquerque, NM

#120 May 8, 2012
Birdie wrote:
<quoted text>. Don't go there I was a student there and it was a nigtmere
I was considering sending my soon there but after reading all these reviews im not sure it is a good place, would you email me and give me some more info on the one in las cruces, nm...monalujan73@gmail.com
Lynn

Prestonsburg, KY

#121 May 22, 2012
Deb wrote:
Anyone out there who has attended or sent a daughter to the Teen Challenge in Roanke, Va? Our 16 yr old daughter is struggling with bad life choices and has wound up on probation. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.
I would like to talk to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Turlock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 6 min hidden loction nuts 5,002
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 7 min lazy posts 200,590
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr lazy posts 15,963
i want a gf hot and simple also only one frnd f... 4 hr dreamer_priya 2
Fresno County fire captain sues Foster Farms, C... Fri fblevins1 2
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
the robert woody situation Thu synda 4
•••
•••
Turlock Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Turlock Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Turlock People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Turlock News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Turlock
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••