Foam food containers are in MB's sights

Full story: Daily Breeze

Though already facing a lawsuit over its recent ban on plastic bags, Manhattan Beach is setting its sights on another alleged environmental enemy.
Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Xoltem

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 2, 2008
 
Here they go again. Now this elitist dictatorial city council wants to get the city into more litigation. They just don't get it. Our publicity-seeking mayor will do anything to get his mug in public. Empty your wallets taxpayers!!!
HB Guy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 2, 2008
 
I suppose condoms will be next.

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 2, 2008
 
Xoltem wrote:
Here they go again. Now this elitist dictatorial city council wants to get the city into more litigation. They just don't get it. Our publicity-seeking mayor will do anything to get his mug in public. Empty your wallets taxpayers!!!
A million other better things to do. Its funny, cigarettes and foam containers are the only thing on their mind. They are like a bunch of middle school kids who are pissed that nobody took their sciene project seriously!
No Sympathy

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 2, 2008
 
MB has gone off the deep end. From being a mellow beach community to a navel contemplating elitist stronghold...

I just hope the budget is balanced during the next fiscal year, or this fluff-stuff will look awfully silly.
girb

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 2, 2008
 
The five windbags in the council should be recalled. What a bunch of pompous assess.
HB Reader

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 2, 2008
 
I don't understand why you people are so upset. It's very obvious there is a problem with plastic bags and take away containers contaminating the environment. When I shop there are more people bringing their own bags to the market. But not nearly enough. Most people have to be forced to make a change.(seat belts is one example)

I would be more than happy to pay a container fee to help restaurants make up the financial difference for using a more environmently friendly container.

Local government has a great opportunity and responsibility to make changes like this.
Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 2, 2008
 
Don't these idiots have anything better to do with their time?
Daniel

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 2, 2008
 
Jim wrote:
Don't these idiots have anything better to do with their time?
Jim, the city created a new position to address these very issues. By hiring a person to turn Manhattan Beach "green" she has to come up with all sorts of things to do to justify her hiring. Isn't government great?
City Council is Retarded

La Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 2, 2008
 
What a bunch of nanny-state morons. Who the hell voted for these people?

If you don't like styrofoam containers then DON'T USE THEM. Who the hell are they to force their opinions on the public?

Keep banning things, beach cities. Before you know it all the restaurants and bars will be out of your town.
City Council is Retarded

La Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 2, 2008
 
HB Reader wrote:
When I shop there are more people bringing their own bags to the market. But not nearly enough. Most people have to be forced to make a change.(seat belts is one example)
I would be more than happy to pay a container fee to help restaurants make up the financial difference for using a more environmently friendly container.
Local government has a great opportunity and responsibility to make changes like this.
Perfect example of the poor thinking that leads to this kind of bullsh it. Things aren't going the way they want, so they FORCE others by law to come along with them.

And just because YOU don't mind paying more doesn't mean that everyone else should have to. MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!
HB Reader

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 2, 2008
 
City Council is Retarded wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect example of the poor thinking that leads to this kind of bullsh it. Things aren't going the way they want, so they FORCE others by law to come along with them.
And just because YOU don't mind paying more doesn't mean that everyone else should have to. MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!
Ouch...what are you yelling about? I really doubt there are that many people who can't afford .25 container fee. What right are you losing by not being allowed a styrofoam container?
Mom of 3

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 2, 2008
 
People are starting to realize we need to be responsible for everything we do. I agree with
HB.
And to the REPUBLIC

Lakewood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 2, 2008
 
If it's already a law,then why is there even any need for discussion on this? Just enforce the current law. These clowns act like they're building a rocket or something. This is not difficult, law on books, enforce law, simple .

Since: Jul 08

Redondo Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 2, 2008
 
City Council is Retarded wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect example of the poor thinking that leads to this kind of bullsh it. Things aren't going the way they want, so they FORCE others by law to come along with them.
And just because YOU don't mind paying more doesn't mean that everyone else should have to. MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!
who pee'd in your cereal this morning? calm down. "mind[ing] your own damn business" is how we all got to where we are, with the wars, global warming, financial bailouts, recession, etc.

you were probably pissed when the car makers started putting seatbeats in every car and didn't let you have an option when buying a car, huh?

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 2, 2008
 
HB Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch...what are you yelling about? I really doubt there are that many people who can't afford .25 container fee. What right are you losing by not being allowed a styrofoam container?
Im tired of being nickel and dimed, the 25cent fee isnt much but when you consider there is "extra fees" for everything I do it comes to alot of money. Its not that we cant afford it its that we dont have to afford it! You want this crap, you pay for it! you can afford to pay my fee right? its only an extra quarter for you.

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 2, 2008
 
RB Surfer wrote:
<quoted text>
who pee'd in your cereal this morning? calm down. "mind[ing] your own damn business" is how we all got to where we are, with the wars, global warming, financial bailouts, recession, etc.
you were probably **** when the car makers started putting seatbeats in every car and didn't let you have an option when buying a car, huh?
Im a little mad I got to wear a seatbelt, its just one more freedom I lost. You should be angry too, you dont need a law to tell you to wear one. You either want to or you dont, bleeding hearts are what ruined this country, that and people who make 10bucks an hour and buy a million dollar home!

“Barbaric as Santa!”

Since: Nov 08

Santa Barbara ,Malibu,Torrance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 2, 2008
 
Hahahaha! Man I'm am glad I moved out of the South Bay (or is that "Beach Cities"?) Santa Barbara NEVER has this kind of stupidity because most of us up here already recycle, don't put up with "non-biodegadable" crap, carry our own canvas bags to the grocery store, etc. Geez, get with it, the 21 century is here--you can stop living in caves--doh!

“Barbaric as Santa!”

Since: Nov 08

Santa Barbara ,Malibu,Torrance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 2, 2008
 
Future Primitive wrote:
<quoted text>Im a little mad I got to wear a seatbelt, its just one more freedom I lost. You should be angry too, you dont need a law to tell you to wear one. You either want to or you dont, bleeding hearts are what ruined this country, that and people who make 10bucks an hour and buy a million dollar home!
Right on, Future! It shouldn't take government to demand we do right, We should figure it out for ourselves. Just curious, do you think people can do that?

Since: Mar 08

Hewrmosa Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 2, 2008
 
Santa Barbarian wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on, Future! It shouldn't take government to demand we do right, We should figure it out for ourselves. Just curious, do you think people can do that?
No, I have almost no faith in people anymore. I mean look at that Wal-mart incident, not only did a guy die, young guy too not some frail person, but the people who ran over him are now suing the store and the cops for not providing enough security! I mean WOW! Shouldnt they be worried about charges of manslaughter or disorderly conduct? If this is the great new 21st century your talking about Id rather be hunting wooly mammoths and using rocks for toilet paper! Atleast then id be able to keep my sanity in life. But to reiterate my point, I have no faith in the majority of americans anymore.
HB Reader

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 2, 2008
 
Future Primitive wrote:
<quoted text>Im a little mad I got to wear a seatbelt, its just one more freedom I lost. You should be angry too, you dont need a law to tell you to wear one. You either want to or you dont, bleeding hearts are what ruined this country, that and people who make 10bucks an hour and buy a million dollar home!
That seat belt law saves thousands of lives. You would be the first to call your insurance company for medical coverage you might not need if you had worn your seatbelt. The women who died on the 210 freeway this weekend when some man commited suicide
might not have died if she had been wearing her seatbelt.

The fact that a city wants to help the environment by
forcing someone to bring their own bags or at least use a paperbag should be looked on as a good thing. If the city wanted to ban guns then you can all get your knickers in a knot. But you better hope S.B. doesn't follow along or you might run out of places to live.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Torrance Discussions

Search the Torrance Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 7 min Concerned Earth C... 4,976
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 57 min Sharky 18,734
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr BoinkO 200,560
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr facts faced 15,929
Boycott Rock n Brews. 21 hr ajfdsgajkh 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon Mudflys to 7,901
Elin Vanderlip dies at 90 at her Rancho Palos V... (Jul '09) Aug 15 xxxAnnAxxx 85
•••
•••

Torrance News Video

•••
•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Torrance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Torrance News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Torrance
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••