South Bay History: The Plush Horse Inn

Full story: Daily Breeze

The Plush Horse Inn, shown here in the early 1970s, eventually would become a Bristol Farms market.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2013
Redondo Resident

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Nice, I remember the Caprice. I used to be kind of ghetto though. Cool article
Franx n beans

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

Smoe Annabells and Caprice patrons were terrors to the neighborhood. Old DB stories describe drunkedness and debauchery in the adjoining streets in the late hours. It's usually going to be the jerks and drunks that mess up a good thing for the owners. Good thing Trader Joe's moved in!
Franx n beans

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2010

Judged:

That's wierd. Typed Some, got changed to Smoe automatically!
carlyg

Kingman, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Loved this place. Excellent dinners back in the day and then in later years I saw Tower of Power and Ray Charles there!
South Bay Native

Hawthorne, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I always knew I was 1/2 way home when we drove by the place as a kid
Cheryl Whitt

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Oh, thank you for this story. I moved out of state and hadn't, actually, thought about the Plush Horse for years. My late husband and I used to eat at the Plush Pony Cafe frequently. I'm saddened to learn of it's demise. Thanks, again, for stirring the memories.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I belong to a club in Torrance and after our Wednesday meetings some of us would go over to the Plush Horse in the 1970s. It was a nice place to meet girls (women?) and dance with them. We almost always closed the place down. I don't ever remember a bad experience there.
california nation

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

The Strand rocked! I saw Al Stewart, Roger, and one of the best shows I've ever seen--The Gap Band.
Al x

Hawthorne, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I miss the Strand. Saw many shows there- Devo, Robin Trower, Dread Zeppelin to name a few. Afterwards, A King Burger with egg and steak fries at the Fatburger across the street. Good Times!
Barbara

Indio, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I worked in the barber salon long ago.
Riviera Kid

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Saw Ray Charles and the "ray-lettes" at the strand. Also, some of the best stand-up acts including George Carlin and a VERY young Jim Carrey (when he was on "In Living Color"). CLASSICS !
Old South Bay guy

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

The writer confuses the Plush Horse, a restaurant that dates back to the fifties with the Plush Horse Inn, a hotel that is in operation today but known as the Palos Verdes Inn. Bristol Farms is in the building that used to house the Plush Horse.

The Plush Horse was a fancy continental restaurant in its day. It was the sort of place that the typical South Bay family of the time couldn't afford to patronize. Mom and Dad might go there to celebrate an anniversary or special occasion like that.

The Plush Pony coffee shop was in the Plush Horse Inn and was built to serve the hotel's patrons. It later became Chez Melange, that wonderful and for a long time trendy place to eat and be seen. Then the place got snooty and expensive and lost a lot of business. Recently, Chez Melange moved to Catalina Avenue where the crowds have dropped off even more.

The word on the street is that the Plush Horse Inn or PV Inn as it is now known is for sale. So say hello as you drive by because another part of our past will soon be a memory. Hopefully the condos they put in its place will be nice.
Love California

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Back in the day, they use to sponsor a Redondo Beach Sunset Little League team. I think it was the Twins (maybe?).
surf_morongo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

Wasn't such a bad pickup place in the early 70's.
fred

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2010

I boinked my high school Spanish teacher there at an after prom party though.
Wow

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

Franx n beans wrote:
Smoe Annabells and Caprice patrons were terrors to the neighborhood. Old DB stories describe drunkedness and debauchery in the adjoining streets in the late hours. It's usually going to be the jerks and drunks that mess up a good thing for the owners. Good thing Trader Joe's moved in!
Annabelles and panties on people's lawns the next morning. I partied in that place a few times :)
Wow

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

Judged:

fred wrote:
I boinked my high school Spanish teacher there at an after prom party though.
Did you like sloppy 2nds?
Juan Matute

Peachtree City, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

The Plush Horse Inn was a landmark all through younger days. On April 19, 1980, my wife and I had our wedding reception there, and looking back, it must have been one of the last blasts held there. I visit out there once every few years, and drop into Bristol Farms so I can see what a $6 apple looks like.
spartan72

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

I have great memories of working at the Plush Horse. Harry Tracton was the owner, brother Sami worked there. There was a Tracton's restaurant on La Cienega or Slauson. I was 16 but said I was 18, and they hired me and my friend Rick. They liked us because we had very short hair (football requirement). Parnell Evans was the Captain and we worked banquets. Never forget it. Trudi was the hostess, Isobel Bernay was the booked the events. Trojan Club, LA Rams before games, banquets in the Banbury Room. Russell Paul, Chef Bruce, Bill Frando. Worked a 17 hour day there one. IRS closed it in 1971. That is what we were told anyway.
Redondo Resident wrote:
Nice, I remember the Caprice. I used to be kind of ghetto though. Cool article
chris

Riverside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

anyone remember when the Plush Horse pool area was vandilized before it even officially opened. I think 1960 or '61.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Torrance News Video

•••
•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Torrance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••