Road Warriors

Full story: Daily Breeze

Some people just do not want to share. Or at least that's what motorists and bicyclists say about each other when it comes to splitting the narrow strip of pavement on curvy, hilly Palos Verdes Drive East.
Comments
1 - 20 of 155 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2008
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
1225 KPH

Red Lodge, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

The bicyclist inn the photo isn't exactly keeping to the right, is he? Regardless of the law, only a spandex shorts wearing idiot on a bicycle wouldn't keep out of the way of 4,000 lb. cars.

Signs won't force drivers to see them. If they ride in packs, taking up the entire lane while grinding up Palos Verdes Drive East at 7MPH (no, not 25MPH up hill), they deserve to get squashed.

For the most part, these wanna-be Tour de France entrants are inconsiderate and dangerous. They won't stay to the right and they won't stay single file. It's suicide by bicycle.
Dino

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

"Deserve" to get squashed? Please...

I'm willing to bet that most drivers are cautious and courteous. I'd also wager that most cyclists are also cautious and courteous.

But, if the issue is anything like I've seen here locally (Monrovia, CA) there are a few from each group, that just won't give. Unfortunately, when a auto and bicycle tangle, the obvious loser is the bicycle.

Bicyclists (just like motorcyclists) are basically concentrating on one thing, trying to survive. Drivers, in general, tend to think they can multi-task and do many other things while they're supposed to be driving. This results in problems and can prove fatal for anything in their path, smaller than they are.

Another unfortunate fact, is the bicycle doesn't have the power to get out of their way in time. So, if you have an angry driver following a slow bicycle, there's a good chance that its going to get ugly.
taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Have you ever seen a pack of bicyclists going 6 MPH uphill, staying to the right? PVEPD and LASD should use unmarked cars occasionally to enforce the law. P.S. I ride a bike.
Jim

Cancún, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Some of the proposed signs are a great idea, two of them are not.

Winding Road, Share the Road, and Winding Road,`X' Miles Ahead, Bikes Use Extreme Caution, are excellent additions.

The other two, Ride Single-File and Slow Bikes Keep Right, are misleading and will lead to the same conflicts that the old signs did. The lanes on PVE are two narrow for a car and a bicycle to share with the three foot separation necessary for safety. The California Vehicle Code allows bicyclists to take the lane when it is substandard. PV does not have the right to supercede state law and require bike to ride single file or keep right on PVE.

Share the road.
Jim

Cancún, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Sorry, I can't edit the previous post. I do know the difference between "two" and "too." Durn cheap keyboard.
R U Serious

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

The majority of bike riders are cautious and considerate. It's the egg heads who ride in a pack taking up an entire lane or the ones that feel the need to ride side by side regardless of conditions. And, for them this article will only inspire them to do more of the same. Yes, I ride a bike daily.
BAN BIKES

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

There should NOT be ANY bilkes on such a road. We all drive it. Compromise isn't the answer. A propoer use of ROADS for those that pay gas taxes is the right answer.
Teach

Bucaramanga, Colombia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Yahoos like thug 1225 are the problem. The bike has the right of way--the lane is his. He does not have to give up the lane if he is moving at or near the speed limit or if there are obstructions or debris in the road. I advise all bikers to carry pepper spray, a heavy air pump head, a knife, and a small pistol to deal with mad dogs and violent drivers like 1225.

QUOTE who="1225 KPH The bicyclist inn the photo isn't exactly keeping to the right, is he? Regardless of the law, only a spandex shorts wearing idiot on a bicycle wouldn't keep out of the way of 4,000 lb. cars.
Signs won't force drivers to see them. If they ride in packs, taking up the entire lane while grinding up Palos Verdes Drive East at 7MPH (no, not 25MPH up hill), they deserve to get squashed.
For the most part, these wanna-be Tour de France entrants are inconsiderate and dangerous. They won't stay to the right and they won't stay single file. It's suicide by bicycle.
TexMex

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

They need to clean up the shrubbery to make it wider.
charge the home owners for not taking care of their front yard. It is a gray area, city doesn't have sidewalks there so it is a no mans land.

THey also need to smoothen up PV South between Trump and the Glass Church, the shrubs are overtaking the place.
TexMex

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

BAN BIKES wrote:
There should NOT be ANY bilkes on such a road. We all drive it. Compromise isn't the answer. A propoer use of ROADS for those that pay gas taxes is the right answer.
IT would be illegal since they are all mexicans who use it to get to work.
These "athletes" only do it on the weekends...
I am a cyclist

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

I ride everyday to work BUT...Stay to the right and ride single file. Those stripes designate the bike lane. Use it!!! Maybe those stripes should have white buttons placed every few feet, so that there is less movement between the two. Nothing is more frustrating than waiting behind cyclist who are talking to there buddies and half are in the car lane and half are in the bike lane.
And this

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Nobody cares. The ding-dongs on bikes think they own the road and so do the other ding-dongs in cars. Those on bikes need to STAY in the bike lane and observe the same rules of the rode that drivers have to observe. A lot of drivers don't care if you're on a bike or in a car, they just want to go around you fast and tear up the road. It's their own stupid challenge, one that will eventually land them on the rocks below.
marshall

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

The biggest problem with bikes vs. cars on the Peninsula is the failure of cyclists to ride single file. I ride the coast and unless the road is dangerous for some reason, I'm always to the right and single file. The worst thing is that the weekend warrior cyclists who ride double or even triple file slow down so they can chat and block traffic at the same time.
And this

Carson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Oops I mean "road"
Al Fansome

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Oh, how times have changed. I used to commute to work through the LAX Sepulveda tunnel on a bicycle. I rode in the center of the right lane, as the law allows. Not once did I get hassled by an auto.

These days I wouldn't be so quick to assert my rights. There's just too much traffic. And there aren't enough bike riders to justify adding lots of bike lanes like Santa Cruz. I now confine my riding to a recumbent exercycle in the garage.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

I ride and drive, too. Riding single file is the best immediate fix.
TwoSides

Lake Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

No one deserves to get run over, that's obvious but...so omany cyclists are obnoxious! Nothing like a bicycle being in the way on a narrow single lane road and they don't get over or if you can believe this...2 bikes riding side by side and no way can a car get past them without going over the double yellow line to get by.

So when I read, and I read too often, that a bicyclist got run over I think about what really happened?

Bikes need to be use side streets and when on main streets realize no matter if they are right or wrong on a bicycle they will lose every time.
Hapaone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

I've been riding bikes for over 20 years and I have to agree with the motorist! I ride mountain bike/free rider, and must say that the guys you see wearing their tight spandex pants are a bunch of kooks that can't ride.

I always stay out of the way of the motorist, I'll either ride on the sidewalk which is illegal or right next to the curb.

The guys on road bikes better stay off the road and out of the way. KOOKS
marshall

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Al - I've avoided the Sepulveda Tunnel for years. I've rollerbladed through it on the sidewalk, but as a cyclist, that thing just seems like a deathtrap given the amount of traffic in there these days. My hat is off to you.
Put Down the Pipe

Hermosa Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

Dino wrote:
"I'm willing to bet that most drivers are cautious and courteous. I'd also wager that most cyclists are also cautious and courteous.
Yeah right... Bicycles don't obey any of the rules of the road. Of course, in 21st century California municipal "risk managers" have decided that motorcycle cops are too "dangerous" so there is little to no traffic enforcement.

So we have spandex clad jerks in the middle of the lanes, running stop signs, riding in the left turn pocket and generally daring anyone with a car to hit them.

Even more amazing, is to watch them ride in the street adjacent to an almost empty bike path.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Torrance Discussions

Search the Torrance Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Trying to stop us 18,614
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 18 hr seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 18 hr Pole swap 7,855
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Thu Orange Cove cow licker 200,366
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Thu rain or snow to slow 15,928
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) Thu sis 1,068
Woman jailed for allegedly trying to extort $50... (Mar '10) Thu bird 25
•••
•••

Torrance News Video

•••
•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••