Local school teachers salaries

Posted in the Ticonderoga Forum

First Prev
of 42
Next Last
Amazing

Cobleskill, NY

#1 May 25, 2009
Came across this public inforamtion website. Thought it would show the tax payers where our school tax money goes.

www.seethroughny.net
Good Information

AOL

#2 May 25, 2009
I was surprised that a person can work 180 days a year at 6.5 hours a day, some with an assistant or 2, and make this kind of money locally. The teachers union is way to powerful and needs to come back to reality.
no wonder

Albany, NY

#3 May 25, 2009
its no wonder this town is going down the tubes how could anyone possibly afford to live here adn support this
Taxpayer

Rensselaer, NY

#4 May 25, 2009
Wow...

Why does these teachers make so much??

Carolyn Anderson --$78K
Deborah Breitenbach --$89K
William Barnhart --$81K
Dean Cook --$40K (for what??)
Anne Dreimiller --$93K (Ok, she's principal)
John Dreimiller --$83K
William Dodd --$84K
Frank Fontana --$98K
Mike Graney --$83K (principal)
Sharon Huntington --$88K
John McDonald --$124K (and I am ok with this)
Laura Kiely --$72K
Brian Kiely --$81K
Marsha LaPointe --$80K
Brad Peria --$88K
Bob Palandrani --$83K
Karen Pratt --$91K
Dianne Shapiro --$89K
Nelson Shapiro --$86K
Maria Stitt --$74K
D Tubbs --$89K (principal)
Kathleen Tubbs --$79K

I didn't have a clue how much they made... and when they complain about their work? This is for a 40 week year, that's 12 weeks vacation!
really

Cobleskill, NY

#5 May 25, 2009
Wow...as an aid making only 12,000 a year and working the same schedule...I am now feeling taken advantage of.
for real

Reno, NV

#6 May 25, 2009
I'm not sure (in a way) why this surprises anyone. This school district has been scamming this town for decades!! And yes, it is completely ridiculous. And yes, the school board will just keep letting it happen...

Wait, WHAT THE HELL? Dean Cook--$40,000? What does that mean?
Taxpayer wrote:
Wow...
Carolyn Anderson --$78K
William Barnhart --$81K
John Dreimiller --$83K
William Dodd --$84K
Frank Fontana --$98K
Sharon Huntington --$88K
Laura Kiely --$72K
Brian Kiely --$81K
Marsha LaPointe --$80K
Brad Peria --$88K
Bob Palandrani --$83K
Karen Pratt --$91K
Dianne Shapiro --$89K
Nelson Shapiro --$86K
Maria Stitt --$74K
Kathleen Tubbs --$79K
I didn't have a clue how much they made... and when they complain about their work? This is for a 40 week year, that's 12 weeks vacation!
H8R AGIT8R

Cobleskill, NY

#7 May 25, 2009
To all of you grammatically challenged misanthropes out there screeching and squawking about what these people make - I ask you, no make that beg you, no wait, I DARE you to put your name in as a substitute teacher.(Those of you who actually graduated high school.) Do ONE day, ONE DAY of dealing with "Ticonderoga's best and brightest" (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) adolescents in THEIR element.

ROTSA RUCK!
PHT

Albany, NY

#8 May 25, 2009
Let me ask all of you that oppose these educators salaries? Would you want to be a teacher or principal? Did you spend thousands of dollars on 4 or 5 years of education to obtain the best knowledge to educate your kids? Are you willing to observe a teachers daily schedule just to see exactly the job they are performing? Would you want to be a teacher, a counselor, a brother, sister,a parent, a mentor, to 100 kids per day? Would you want to give up your free time every evening grading papers, creating engaging and differentiated lesson plans? How about capturing the attention of all students learning styles within every second of the class periods so students aren't bored? How about the 25 years of paying student loans back, so we can listen to the negative people of society stating that educators make too much money. So if you can answer any of these questions honestly, sign up next fall at one of the many colleges that have teacher preparation programs. Or better yet, why don't you call one of the schools and volunteer to speak to a class about your wonderful jobs.
get it right

Albany, NY

#9 May 25, 2009
I don't think anyone is complaining about the salaries of our dedicated teaching staff BUT whats not easy to swallow is the fact that those that make a career out of their profession are retiring at an 80% salary....now think about that....and think about what it costs us taxpayers AFTER they're done teaching. No one is begrudging the fact that some of these tenured people are making
$ 70,000 -$ 80,000 they surely earn it, BUT when they retire....come on...get real....there needs to be some sort of checks and balance here AND....theyr'e also receiving paid health
benefits...think about it
No Thanks

Cobleskill, NY

#10 May 25, 2009
If it's so great, why doesn't everyone become a teacher. Well lets see, five years of education at $20,000 to $30,000 per year. That's $100,000 to $150,000. If instead of going to college during those five years and with some ambitition you should be able to make $25,000 to $35,000 per year. So there is another $125,000 to $175,000 you could have made but didn't. So really the cost to become a teacher is between $225,000 and $325,000. After looking at some of these salaries, I know some people in this district who have been there about 15 years and they are making just over $50,000. No thanks!
Pierre

Bronx, NY

#11 May 25, 2009
Teachers that needed five years to finish college? I'm not surprised - many studies have shown that students in teachers' colleges tend to have lower SAT and/or IQ scores than the average college student. 73% of teacher applicants in Massachusetts recently failed the math part of their certification exam. Teachers are constantly agitating for more pay, but I know several pediatricians who work a lot harder, under more pressure, yet earn less than a second grade school teacher. And they don't have anywhere near the same perks as the typical public-school teacher - 12 weeks of vacation, guaranteed job security (tenure), often as much as one or two years of sick pay, paid health plan, health insurance after retirement, a retirement plan that pays close to their regular salary, and a pension plan completely exempt from NY income tax. HAH! My heart bleeds (not)!
greit211

Cobleskill, NY

#12 May 25, 2009
Some of these "totals" include coaching, advising, directing/conducting after school/at night, summer school, after school programs, etc. These are NOT 8-3 salaries alone..........with summers off. These are some of the most active, involved teachers, department chairs and administrators.
Nutty Professor

Cobleskill, NY

#13 May 25, 2009
Pierre wrote:
Teachers that needed five years to finish college? I'm not surprised - many studies have shown that students in teachers' colleges tend to have lower SAT and/or IQ scores than the average college student. 73% of teacher applicants in Massachusetts recently failed the math part of their certification exam. Teachers are constantly agitating for more pay, but I know several pediatricians who work a lot harder, under more pressure, yet earn less than a second grade school teacher. And they don't have anywhere near the same perks as the typical public-school teacher - 12 weeks of vacation, guaranteed job security (tenure), often as much as one or two years of sick pay, paid health plan, health insurance after retirement, a retirement plan that pays close to their regular salary, and a pension plan completely exempt from NY income tax. HAH! My heart bleeds (not)!
The fifth year is for a masters degree you knucklehead.
True

Sharon, VT

#14 May 25, 2009
I have read these studies, also. All true.

Most teachers nationally graduate out of the bottom 25% of their college graduating classes. Most came to college graduating NOT in the top of their high school graduating classes.

When I have read memos that have come home from school with my children from MANY teachers, spelling errors, grammatical errors...and I shudder!

When I went to school in Ti, teachers were paid EXTRA for coaching and even chaperoning field trips and sports games. Is that not true any more??

Funny you should mention the bit about doctor's salaries. I KNOW what my doctor makes annually, and it's not much above what some of these "teachers" are making. Huh? What is wrong with this picture?!

Oh, and I used to substitute. I agree with the teacher's assistant. Too much money is going to all the wrong places.

This is exactly and partly why there is a movement to pay teachers by merit, NOT by how looooong they have occupied a certain classroom!
Pierre wrote:
Not True Pee Air

Cobleskill, NY

#15 May 25, 2009
True wrote:
I have read these studies, also. All true.
Most teachers nationally graduate out of the bottom 25% of their college graduating classes. Most came to college graduating NOT in the top of their high school graduating classes.
When I have read memos that have come home from school with my children from MANY teachers, spelling errors, grammatical errors...and I shudder!
When I went to school in Ti, teachers were paid EXTRA for coaching and even chaperoning field trips and sports games. Is that not true any more??
Funny you should mention the bit about doctor's salaries. I KNOW what my doctor makes annually, and it's not much above what some of these "teachers" are making. Huh? What is wrong with this picture?!
Oh, and I used to substitute. I agree with the teacher's assistant. Too much money is going to all the wrong places.
This is exactly and partly why there is a movement to pay teachers by merit, NOT by how looooong they have occupied a certain classroom!
<quoted text>
I don't know why you two aren't teachers. They can't be a dumb as you say they are if you are on here writing about how great they have things. By the way, where do these so called doctors work.... China?
Teach

Attleboro, MA

#16 May 25, 2009
If teachers are getting paid so much, perhaps you should become a teacher too. Then you could be in on the great deals such as spending some of your "high pay" to buy some of your students shoes or clothing when they come on cold winter days without proper attire. Perhaps you could spend some of your "ill gotten" salary to supply your students with food when they say they are hungry. You could buy toothbrushes and toothpaste when it is apparent that your student does not have any. What about buying deodorants, socks and yes, even underwear when it is obvious that your student is in need of such items? You could use some of your "high pay" to pay for field trips for students whose parents do not have the means or care to provide their child with money. If you coach, you could spend some of your "high pay" to buy dinners for the players who never have food or money after a late game. You could even use some of the extra money to put extra gas in your car to keep it running when the bus gets back on a cold winter night and there is no parent in sight to pick up their child. You could use all of your high pay to buy extra supplies for your classroom lessons when the budget money that you are allowed is not enough to cover the lessons that you want to teach.Yes, please, by all means become a teacher. What is stopping you?
my doctor

Reno, NV

#17 May 25, 2009
My doctor works in Burlington, has a waiting list of 3 - 6 months, and does not make $91,000 per year. But then, she does not charge some people her set rate if they clearly cannot afford it. She also carries balances over from year to year for patients who can only pay her $25 or so a month. She knows they're trying and struggling, and she's adverse to bill collectors.
I would say this was highly unusual but both my father's doctor and my mother's doctor do the same. All right here in the USA!
Not True Pee Air wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know why you two aren't teachers. They can't be a dumb as you say they are if you are on here writing about how great they have things. By the way, where do these so called doctors work.... China?
Pierre

Bronx, NY

#18 May 25, 2009
Let me respond:

"I don't know why you two aren't teachers. They can't be a dumb as you say they are if you are on here writing about how great they have things. By the way, where do these so called doctors work.... China?"

I AM a teacher - college prof. Almost all of our Assistant and Associate Professors make less than these teachers. As to the "so called doctors" - is a NY licensed M.D. near New York City a good enough comparison?

"If teachers are getting paid so much, perhaps you should become a teacher too. Then you could be in on the great deals such as spending some of your "high pay" to buy some of your students shoes or clothing when they come on cold winter days without proper attire."

Bull - that's a nice tear-jerker, but not realistic. When you can't refute facts, make it sound good. And call people knuckleheads.

The fact is that there are a lot of dedicated teachers in many parts of the country who are vastly underpaid. But there are also many who rake in income and benefits that vastly outweigh those of other, often more educated workers in other fields. Primary care medicine, such as general practitioners and pediatricians, are a good example. What many people don't realize is that health insurance payments are carefully calculated to just barely cover expenses. Most doctors in those fields depend on copays for their income. Think of that the next time you complain about your $10 or $15 copay.
Dean Cook

Sharon, VT

#19 May 25, 2009
Huuuuuh?$40,000?! Did anyone know about this? My God, do you know how many families in this town have to work 2 jobs to make anything close to $40,000.

$40,000 dollar a year for what exactly?
Taxpayer wrote:
Wow...
Carolyn Anderson --$78K
William Barnhart --$81K
John Dreimiller --$83K
William Dodd --$84K
Frank Fontana --$98K
Sharon Huntington --$88K
Laura Kiely --$72K
Brian Kiely --$81K
Marsha LaPointe --$80K
Brad Peria --$88K
Bob Palandrani --$83K
Karen Pratt --$91K
Dianne Shapiro --$89K
Nelson Shapiro --$86K
Maria Stitt --$74K
Kathleen Tubbs --$79K
jump on the band wagon

Corinth, NY

#20 May 25, 2009
I think it would be enlightening if the public knew
how much the bus drivers are making...why do you think they won't retire? How about the business office staff and secretaries? Not to mention the directors of building and grounds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 42
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ticonderoga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
penfield haunted homestead (Oct '10) 5 hr Malone 3
druggie thief 7 hr glad shes not my... 22
Penny Bennett 10 hr Ohlawrd 3
Nursing home Fri scarie 28
Christopher Lambert Fri bffies 36
Woman Involved In Violent Robbery Apologizes (Apr '08) Thu Please leave us a... 47
heard some "sirens" a few minutes ago.... Thu Sweet Tooth 1 1
Ticonderoga Dating
Find my Match

Ticonderoga Jobs

Ticonderoga People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ticonderoga News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ticonderoga

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]