70 arrested in Hillsborough County drug bust - Bay News 9

Aug 7, 2008 | Posted by: StevenFL | Full story: www.baynews9.com

Hillsborough County deputies netted 70 arrests, 6,000 marijuana plants and 3,200 pounds of pot worth $13 million in a recent drug bust called Operation Indoor Outlaws.

Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Aug 9, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
David F Petrano Esq

Capron, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

These law enforcement assaults on our fellow citizens who seek to use marijuana as an alternative to prescription pain meds will continue until ALL jurors follow the same path as jurors did in the 1930s to bring an end to prohibition. Its called JURY NULLIFICATION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullificati...

In the 1930s, when law-abiding folks finally became fed-up with the daily assaults in ordinary Americans who simply wanted to consume alcohol, jurors simply refused to convict the people who were arrested for having made and sold liquor, beer and wine. As a result, prohibition was repealed and we are now free to buy our dinner wine at Publix, rather than a back-door alley.

Want this nonsense to end? read about jury nullification!!!!!
H Akston

Oldsmar, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

Just did a quick search of the arrests online. OK I'll give you the medicnal weed, by why did most of them also have coke? Quite a few have previous trafficing records as well as assaults?
They also stole $500,000 in electricity?

HSCO online records. Open to the public. 24 hours a day. For free.
David F Petrano Esq

Capron, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

I am confident some of these people will eventually charged with everything from possession of stolen goods to tax evasion.

I choose to zero-in on the fact some of the home-grown pot would have likely ended up in the hands of folks on chemo-therappy who can't hold down a piece of bread w/o vomiting.

During Prohibition, my grandfather made/sold wine in the back of the barber-shop. When he got raided by the feds, the jury found him not guilty. Fact is, he was guilty as hell, but obviously that particular jury in Rochester, N.Y., wanted to get rid of Prohibition far more than they wanted to get rid of Grandpa. Its called JURY NULLIFICATION.
H Akston

Oldsmar, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

you often use the word "fact" inapropriately, as in this case.
Simon

New Port Richey, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

if it were legal, there would be no need for these so-called "houses" to exist in the first place, and if the govt. was smart, they would just put it under ATF jurisdiction and tax it like they do cigs and booze. As for the 30's when pot was first made illegal, it was mainly due to curb the influx of Mexicans coming to western states (as you can see that worked out REAL well). Then it was Nixon who took things a step further by creating the DEA in 1971, and further more to Nancy Reagan with her "just say no" rhetoric - yet our current "prez" wants free trade with Columbia (go figure as to why). I'm sure more than half the people in prison are there because of drug related crimes, and likely at least a third of those for marijuana alone.
David F Petrano Esq

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

Akston, I do not know a single person in my age group (over-50) WHO smokes marijuana "to party."

It is my experience folks my age smoke marijuana because they suffer from a variety of physical and mental disabilities recognized in the DSM-IV, and marijuana helps alleviate their suffering far better than prescription drugs.

There is an extremely high order of probability the people who grew the marijuana in the story above provided marijuana to those individuals I refer to. By the look of the plants in the pics, I venture to say the pot was top-drawer.

During prohibition, my grandfather's boot-legged wine was top-drawer as well. No wonder why the Rochester, N.Y jury found him "not guilty" as a result of "JURY NULLIFICATION."
David F Petrano Esq

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

Simon wrote:
if it were legal, there would be no need for these so-called "houses" to exist in the first place, and if the govt. was smart, they would just put it under ATF jurisdiction and tax it like they do cigs and booze.
Simon, don't equate anti-marijuana laws to government of the people by the people. The anti-marijuana laws are bought and paid for by the pharmeutical lobbies.

Unlike pills and whiskey, marijuana can be easily home-grown like back-yard tomatoes. The pharmeutical companies cannot compete, thus the anti-marijuana laws.

Want to legalize marijuana? JUST SAY NO TO A MARIJUANA CHARGE VIA JURY NULLIFICATION. Wikipedia the subject, Jury nullification is SOLE the reason prohibition was repealed.
David F Petrano Esq

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

spell correction: pharmaceutical
D Finley

Victoria, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

You americans are so funny, and correct, it can be grown in the backyard. Whats the big deal?
H Akston

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

David F Petrano Esq wrote:
There is an extremely high order of probability the people who grew the marijuana in the story above provided marijuana to those individuals I refer to. "
ZERO basis in reality. David, I know a number of people in that age group who smoke pot because they like to smoke pot in fact the majority of people I know who smoke weed ARE IN THAT AGE GROUP. I'm not against if that's what they want to do and they don't bother anyone else with it. BUT IT IS ILLEGAL!
If I speed and I get caught then I get a ticket, that's how it is. There are speed limits and people take the chance. When they get pulled over they really don't expect the excuse, "I'm in a hurry so the law shouldn't apply to me" to work.
You are COMPLETELY full of it here. I suggested the HCSO site to look at the arrests, look at the people involved. YOU DID NOT. You can research their past arrest records and see what kind of people they are. YOU DID NOT.
Answer the question, WHO WAS THE COKE FOR?
H Akston

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

<quoted text>
...Jury nullification is SOLE the reason prohibition was repealed.
NO it is not. You know better than to make a statement like that.
H Akston

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

Simon wrote:
if it were legal, there would be no need for these so-called "houses" to exist in the first place, and if the govt. was smart, they would just put it under ATF jurisdiction and tax it like they do cigs and booze. As for the 30's when pot was first made illegal, it was mainly due to curb the influx of Mexicans coming to western states (as you can see that worked out REAL well). Then it was Nixon who took things a step further by creating the DEA in 1971, and further more to Nancy Reagan with her "just say no" rhetoric - yet our current "prez" wants free trade with Columbia (go figure as to why). I'm sure more than half the people in prison are there because of drug related crimes, and likely at least a third of those for marijuana alone.
Pretty much correct and the law should be changed. There are ways to go about it. Unfortunately "smoke ins", "jury nullification", and whining that it is "medicinal" aren't the ways to do it. I know very reasonable, respectable people who smoke pot. With someone like this in front it is more likely you can put a better face on for the public. What you DON'T need is a radical who pleads that the government is against us, the cops are crooked, the satelites are spying on us, and everything is a conspiracy. It is public opinion that counts. Heres a pointer, we know it isn't medical so don't assume we are stupid.
David F Petrano Esq

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

Hackston, please refresh my memory. Was it your 1st of 2nd year that you washed-out of law school?

It is clear you have now degenerated to posting outrageous lies as a means to satisfy your quest for "LULZ."

This source is as good as any to prove what a blow-hard your are.

"During Prohibition, juries often nullified alcohol control laws, possibly as often as 60% of the time. This resistance is considered to have contributed to the adoption of the Twenty-first amendment repealing the Eighteenth amendment which established Prohibition.

" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullificati...

"The jury has the right to judge both the law as well as the fact in controversy."
—John Jay, first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Hackston, stop spreading your BS.

Myself and nearly everyone I attended law school with has written countless letters to law makers to reform the anti-marijuana laws. The fact is, not a single person can compete or stand-up to the pharmaceutical companies' strangle-hold on the issue. They PAY BIG MONEY to keep peddling their pill-poison instead of allowing us to grow marijuana in our homes.

JURY NULLIFICATION THEN
JURY NULLIFICATION NOW,
JURY NULLIFICATION FOREVER ...

H Akston

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

Never went to law school? a bit of med. school but the real money was in world domination. I studied mostly in europe and then did my graduate work in a hidden lair under a volcano. After that I spent time in developing satelites with the ability to steal brain waves from people who didn't wear aluminum foil in their hats.

I am curious as you and the fruit have been using the term "LULZ", I missed the "how to mind read the dumb@$$es" in wikipedia? what does it mean?
BLAH

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

Don't mean to flame, but anyone who believes Wikipedia to be a reliable source is flat out mis guided and naive. It is hacked and polluted by capable people for sheer fun.

You shouldn't believe everything you read.

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

D Finley wrote:
You americans are so funny, and correct, it can be grown in the backyard. Whats the big deal?
That is the most funny and ironic thing said. When I lived in New Jersey, it was very much the case. I never really paid attention to my back yard, as the landlord tended the grass and such.

When a few friends came over and we decided to have a rare backyard bbq, that is when we all discovered it. I was shocked. I even asked the landlord and he had no clue it was back there.

The funny part is that the police could have come in, busted me, and discovered the plant and I would have never even known it was growing in the back yard.
David F Petrano Esq

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

BLAH wrote:
Don't mean to flame, but anyone who believes Wikipedia to be a reliable source is flat out mis guided and naive. It is hacked and polluted by capable people for sheer fun.
Do you dispute the information I provided or do you dispute the source?
If you dispute my information and/or source, please be so kind provide a source and link that rebuts the information I provided.
H Akston

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

BLAH wrote:
Now you've done it!
Put on your flak jacket.
David F Petrano Esq

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

H Akston wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you've done it!
Put on your flak jacket.
Flak jacket?
Actually, the commentor made a semi-valid point regarding Wikipedia; problem is, the commentor has provided no information to rebut my FACTUALLY CORRECT statement.

I know you and those goombas you hang with have a real hard time with my take on JURY NULLIFICATION, but you did not have to go so far as to inform me you have knowledge of the leftovers in my icebox on the "derelict boat" thread.

DEAL WITH IT, you would rather eat glass than to see me inform the readers here of jury nullification.
H Akston

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

<quoted text>
Flak jacket?
Actually, the commentor made a semi-valid point regarding Wikipedia; problem is, the commentor has provided no information to rebut my FACTUALLY CORRECT statement.
I know you and those goombas you hang with have a real hard time with my take on JURY NULLIFICATION, but you did not have to go so far as to inform me you have knowledge of the leftovers in my icebox on the "derelict boat" thread.
DEAL WITH IT, you would rather eat glass than to see me inform the readers here of jury nullification.
maybe a tattoo?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tampa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson - Tampa, FL 4 hr Wyatt 5
Black Cop Shoots White Kid 4 hr Wyatt 1
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 5 hr Liberal forever 2,453
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 7 hr Liberal forever 2,940
heroin (Apr '13) 7 hr Shhheeezup 141
Review: Gulf To Bay Pool Service (Oct '13) 7 hr Lilly Fernandez 5
St. Pete Pride could draw record crowd (Jun '13) Tue Peter Cheeks 15

Search the Tampa Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Tampa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Tampa People Search