Why do people from Tallahassee...

Posted in the Tallahassee Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bolognius Maximus

Tallahassee, FL

#1 Jan 28, 2011
...look down on people from Miami/South Fl? I am a student at Florida State University and have been here long enough to realize that Tallahasseans do not like Miamians. As soon as the folks here find out you are from the 305, they look at you like you're some piece of sh!t. I have gotten that attitude pretty much everywhere I go in Tally. Don't get me wrong, I love it here and the reason why I chose to attend FSU was to get as far away from Miami as possible. But what I wasn't expecting was this type of attitude towards South Floridians. Is it because we are given bad names? I realize that Miami is a terrible place, but that is still no reason to belittle or look down on someone. If someone could please explain this to me I would really appreciate it. If I have the time, I will respond. Thanks.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 29, 2011
Because they are arrogant, keep your head up, most are stupid rednecks.
Tiffany

Farmingdale, NY

#3 Jan 31, 2011
its because miami is metropolitan and tallahassee is just country bumpkins
COMMONSENSE

High Springs, FL

#4 Jan 31, 2011
I am confused. You state in your post you wanted to get as far away from Miami as possible, and that it is a terrible place. If you are from there, and you feel that way about it, why would Tallahassee residents who have no connection with the town feel any love for the it. I agree treating someone badly because of where they are from is wrong. It happens all the time. Miami has a bad reputation. Some may feel if you are from there, you have some of the bad habits or troubles for which the town is famous. That does not mean that is true of you. Give them a chance and maybe they will give you one too. As for "stupid rednecks" - really! grow-up and give mature feedback. "Country bumpkins" - thanks. I will take that without insult, as I am sure you did not mean any. If it makes someone a bumpkin to be family oriented, hard-working, loves God and country, that is alright with me.
Bolognius Maximus

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Feb 1, 2011
chuck66 wrote:
Not really. That is Gainesville you're referring to. In fact, I don't find Tallahassee any more southern than Miami is.
Bolognius Maximus

Tallahassee, FL

#6 Feb 1, 2011
Tiffany wrote:
its because miami is metropolitan and tallahassee is just country bumpkins
Actually, Tally is a vibrant medium sized city and home to two major state universities. The total population of the city is around 170k and, yes, it is the state capital. I love it here and I do not consider myself a country bumpkin.
Bolognius Maximus

Tallahassee, FL

#7 Feb 1, 2011
COMMONSENSE wrote:
I am confused. You state in your post you wanted to get as far away from Miami as possible, and that it is a terrible place. If you are from there, and you feel that way about it, why would Tallahassee residents who have no connection with the town feel any love for the it. I agree treating someone badly because of where they are from is wrong. It happens all the time. Miami has a bad reputation. Some may feel if you are from there, you have some of the bad habits or troubles for which the town is famous. That does not mean that is true of you. Give them a chance and maybe they will give you one too. As for "stupid rednecks" - really! grow-up and give mature feedback. "Country bumpkins" - thanks. I will take that without insult, as I am sure you did not mean any. If it makes someone a bumpkin to be family oriented, hard-working, loves God and country, that is alright with me.
I am not your typical person from South FL. I do not run red lights, I do not flick people off, I obey the law (most of the time), and a pretty honest person. And yes Miami is a horse's asshole in so many ways. I came here to Tallahassee to attend FSU and escape the banana republic madness. In fact, I love it here. But what I don't like is the "we're better than you" attitude. I can't stand that type of person who thinks that way. But other than that, Tally has very friendly and down to earth people. I will take your word for it.
Jo-Jo

Tallahassee, FL

#8 Feb 3, 2011
I've been to Miami before. Drivers are rude, people in businesses were rude. I was there for a sporting event and had never seen such displays of discourtesy and profanity. I've got no love for the area. I have also run into people here that expect some level of admiration for being from the "305". Quite frankly, I could care less if you're from Miami, as long as you leave your attitude in Dade County.
Bolognius Maximus

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Feb 4, 2011
Jo-Jo wrote:
I've been to Miami before. Drivers are rude, people in businesses were rude. I was there for a sporting event and had never seen such displays of discourtesy and profanity. I've got no love for the area. I have also run into people here that expect some level of admiration for being from the "305". Quite frankly, I could care less if you're from Miami, as long as you leave your attitude in Dade County.
And this is exactly what I am talking about. You are so quick to assume that because I hail from Miami that I have an "attitude". Prejudiced much? Jo-Jo, your sour attitude reflects that of a person from Miami. Are you sure you aren't a transplant from the 305? I have noticed a lot of South FL transplants here in Tally. Many are students and many came here for a better life. But treating someone like sh!t just because of where they are from is pretty damn low. Kind of like yourself.
Bolognius Maximus

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Feb 4, 2011
Jo-Jo wrote:
I can say that my "attitude" is A LOT better than yours!
funkymonkey

Tallahassee, FL

#11 Feb 4, 2011
Jo-Jo wrote:
Hah youre just a little b*tch. You probably got your teeth knocked out when you were in Miami so thats why you talk bad about it. Its ok I understand.
COMMONSENSE

Alachua, FL

#12 Feb 5, 2011
People really are quick to judge you by where you were raised. We all do it even if just in our minds. We should all try to give others a chance and treat them the way we want to be treated since we are all individuals. Once you open your mouth then others can see if you are a person of integrity.
"you're just a little *****,....probably got your teeth knocked out......" Why can't adults keep their comments on a mature level? Does that really add anything constructive to the thoughts being shared? I remember talk like that when I was in high school and someone who really did not have an opinion just wanted to be heard (and to try to build their own self-esteem by trying to soundoff). You must be somewhere between 12 and 16 years old.
What

Tallahassee, FL

#13 Feb 5, 2011
305,lmao thugs are from 305.... 850 rules
Swampy

Tallahassee, FL

#14 Feb 6, 2011
funkymonkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Hah youre just a little b*tch. You probably got your teeth knocked out when you were in Miami so thats why you talk bad about it. Its ok I understand.
You idiots from Miami.....the guy Jo-Jo was actually trying to feed you a compliment and you jumped on him. Miami is a piece of sh*t town because of people like the two clowns on this thread. I wish to God someone like you g@y hoes would try to knock my teach out. There would be a wet back priest reading you your last rights.
funkymonkey

Tallahassee, FL

#15 Feb 6, 2011
Swampy wrote:
<quoted text>
You idiots from Miami.....the guy Jo-Jo was actually trying to feed you a compliment and you jumped on him. Miami is a piece of sh*t town because of people like the two clowns on this thread. I wish to God someone like you g@y hoes would try to knock my teach out. There would be a wet back priest reading you your last rights.
Alabama? Only queers come from that state! I bet ur an inbred redneck motherf#cker that lives off of welfare and in a double wide. You redneck piece of sh!t. And that f@g jo-jo wasn't giving any compliment it seemed like an insult to me. Ill tell you this much. You come around me and Ill gladly knock all your teeth out. Punka$$.
funkymonkey

Tallahassee, FL

#16 Feb 6, 2011
What wrote:
305,lmao thugs are from 305.... 850 rules
F##k you
Gladly

Tallahassee, FL

#17 Feb 7, 2011
After living in Lauderdale area for 2 years, we was more than ready to leave that area...rude, rude and rude was the mentality of a lot of the population living there...we had jerky neighbors from NY and had they had the attitude of do as I say not as I do and then the other neighbors barely spoken any English and when you go in a buisness and they have a sign in the window say "WE SPEAK ENGLISH" HELLO are we not in America...down there the American way is gone, thank goodness for the Tally attitudes, I would hate to see this part of the this wonderful state become another S Florida...I think we are better here because we still value what America has to offer us, and not give it to a bunch of un-Americans.
Reason

Tallahassee, FL

#18 Feb 7, 2011
I'm starting to see A LOT of South Florida transplants in the Tallahassee area. In another 10-15 years you can venture Tallahassee becoming like South Fl because of all the transplants. And Florida has a lot of problems I wouldn't call this state "wonderful" at all.
JoeMama

United States

#19 Feb 7, 2011
Gladly wrote:
After living in Lauderdale area for 2 years, we was more than ready to leave that area...rude, rude and rude was the mentality of a lot of the population living there...we had jerky neighbors from NY and had they had the attitude of do as I say not as I do and then the other neighbors barely spoken any English and when you go in a buisness and they have a sign in the window say "WE SPEAK ENGLISH" HELLO are we not in America...down there the American way is gone, thank goodness for the Tally attitudes, I would hate to see this part of the this wonderful state become another S Florida...I think we are better here because we still value what America has to offer us, and not give it to a bunch of un-Americans.
"After living in Lauderdale area for 2 years, we was more than ready to leave that area..."

Nice use of ebonics. Who taught you to write like that? You're 4th grade teacher? And tell us the real reason why you left South FL for Tally. Too many beans and rice and not enough fried chicken?
Tamerlane

Tallahassee, FL

#20 Feb 8, 2011
chuck66 wrote:
In Tallahassee?

Most gun racks won't fit in the back of a Volvo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tallahassee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Clinton rallies Democrats for Charlie Cris... 46 min serfs up 35
Governor Scott Appoints Judge Wendy W. Berger t... (Aug '12) 4 hr Grandmotherof8 3
Miami awakens to end of Castro regime (Feb '08) 17 hr Dan Winchester 365
Tallahassee Facebook Yard Sale (Over 1400 Members) (Mar '12) Tue Bee holly 7
Senate to scrutinize ChildNet (Apr '07) Oct 28 stealing billions 5
Bondi asks court to support gay marriage ban Oct 28 Lawrence Wolf 14
After Trayvon Martin, Chilling Ad Offers Bullet... Oct 27 Also Tired 2
Tallahassee Dating
Find my Match

Tallahassee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Tallahassee News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tallahassee

Personal Finance