Concerned resident

Lafayette, NJ

#62 May 23, 2012
A "sex crime"? You really advocating holding a 12 year old accountable for sex crimes that no one witnessed and we only have the word of another child whose father admits is no saint. As for proving intent, well enuff said. And as for your remarks about the staff, are you living in a dream world? Well, given you live on here based on your posting frequency, scratch that question, you clearly are.

I doubt anyone approves of the humping but let's get a hold on reality here and reality here forces you or rather most people to consider the source of a big part of the problem.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#63 May 23, 2012
menards wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care how big of an a hole a parent is, or how big of a hole their kid may be.

A child that is accosted in the hallway of a school and "dry humped" in a simulated sexual manner, that is a sex crime every single day of the week. No adult should subject to that, let alone a 12 yr old child. The child who performed the act should be removed from the public education system indefinitely, sent wherever child sex offenders go. Stu stumper should be removed as principal of the school. Guidance counselors, teachers, principal, vice principal, superintendent should be held personally accountable for allowing this kind of behavior to escalate and occur. If there is a "zero tolerance" for bullying I'd be asking for all of these people's jobs, because they look like the realbullies here.
I agree, sex crime is a form of bullying especially dry humping at 12? Unreal. Something needs to be done.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#64 May 23, 2012
Concerned resident wrote:
A "sex crime"? You really advocating holding a 12 year old accountable for sex crimes that no one witnessed and we only have the word of another child whose father admits is no saint. As for proving intent, well enuff said. And as for your remarks about the staff, are you living in a dream world? Well, given you live on here based on your posting frequency, scratch that question, you clearly are.

I doubt anyone approves of the humping but let's get a hold on reality here and reality here forces you or rather most people to consider the source of a big part of the problem.
If it were your kid that was accosted and dry humped in the hallway I'm sure you would be singing a different tune.

Do you have kids?
Knows the truth

United States

#65 May 23, 2012
menards, I respect your posts, they're usually on target and you tell it like it is. This time sorry to say, you're wrong. The parents do not believe anyone when it comes to their little darling. Matter of fact he is being celebrated by the entire bus of children that do not have to ride with him aboard any longer. He need a good kick where he sits but thatís tough when both parents refuse to acknowledge he is indeed a brat. The school system would not tolerate any sexual behavior of any kind amongst the students. Why weren't both kids suspended? I've never heard of one getting suspended if they were both at fault. Nine times I am told he beat a classmate until someone pulled him off. Wait to see what mommy and daddy do next...my guess is a frivolous law suite because they are as bad as him and refuse to admit he is horrible!
dsvanc

Abbotsford, Canada

#66 Aug 26, 2012
Try to live in hell hole Abbotsford and Vernon will be welcoming. Gangs activity, drugs, garbage. It's not a safe city we live in. Vernon seem more welcoming, although Summerland which had a lot of dutch , and penticton look well as good.
If you want it to become a better place then start with you, eventually others will pick up on the kidnness
Vernon transplant

Highland Lakes, NJ

#67 Sep 25, 2012
I grew up in Central Jersey. When I was a teenager, years ago, we complained there was nothing to do there also. I think most teenagers complain that there's nothing to do before they can drive and have control over where they can go. We used to go to a party ever weekend. We'd walk miles to get to and from a party. Kids certainly aren't going to be walking across town to go to a party up here in Vernon. Would take all night to get there. There seems to be a lot more for kids to do up here in Vernon than there was in Central NJ when I was growing up. The closest mall where I was in Central Jersey was also 45 minutes away. I can say that people up here are so much friendlier. It's much prettier up here for sure. I like being closer to nature. There ARE walking trails and a lot of out door activities available all year. Are there cons? Definitely. Politics all over are poor IMO but up here it's even worse than poor. There aren't even democrats on the ballet for the local elections. The police are horrible H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. The property taxes are better, but not by much, than the high taxes I was paying in Somerset County and Union County. Drugs are all over and I think statistics prove that. I find it hard to believe it's THAT much worse in Vernon. And just because someone's child may be taking drugs, it doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad parent. It happens across all the boards there are - social, racial, economical, etc. If someone tells me they live somewhere where they are no cons, or are no pros, and I'll be talking to a liar or a psycho.

I don't know why someone believes that the woman who is a real estate agent is only positive because of that reason. I'm sure she can go elsewhere to be an agent if she didn't like it here.
Never ends

Sussex, NJ

#68 Sep 25, 2012
A real estate agent doesn't have to live in the area to try to sell houses. Heck, she doesn't have to even like the area. It's all about the money. I'm sure she'll love any area she can make a sale in.
not a bad place to live

Flemington, NJ

#69 Sep 26, 2012
the positive person sees all the good -the negative person sees only the bad.....Home from work sick- found this site while looking for somthing else and I can't believe this entire site! Almost every topic or post is downright evil. The amount of postings either show there are people home unemployed or simply bored. Nothing for kids to do in Vernon? That's BS!!!Vernon has school sports, Recreation teams, the PAL sports & dances & activities. Those who have the funds can sign their kids up for acting lessons, music lessons, the minerals spa, golf, ski, lesons. Even as a single poor parent, I set aside funds for at least one activity every year. Those who don't have the funds- then teach your kids how to create activity- go build a fort in the woods, join a program at school thats free. My kid when bored, grabbed his fishing pole and & camera & walked to nearby ponds and lakes to fish- yes even with the bears.I spent many hours just trail walking with him taking photos for some parent/kid time. I taught my child to be a 'stand-up' guy- but not a bully. All this talk about 'what everyone else doing' with drugs, bullying, school- Problems like this exist everywhere- teach your children to Ignore A***** & keep moving. Teachers- yes we had a few jerky ones- but we dealt with it. I have a jerky boss- do a quit my job? No I face it and learn to succeed anyway. Vernon has been a fine place to live- Menards; seems you are on every freakin' topic give your crappy negative opinion about the condo's, & vernon-(and many untruths) but from your one post last year you stated you abandoned your condo and moved!? So why you still on here bashing Vernon? To the parent who lost their child- truly sorry for your loss; there are always going to be those kids who seek way more excitement than a sports activity can give them & have a hard time expressing themselves that don't see the danger in drugs until its too late. Other towns- Sparta, Franklin, etc. have also had overdoses and deaths- but Vernon is more populated, so the numbers go up. So keep posting about how bad Vernon is, the schools, the condos, the driving times to shopping, the drugs- then sit and wonder why nobody wants to move here & buy your house! All the parents on here- get the heck of the computer & go do SOMETHING wth your child! Esp. the single parents- your MOM and DAD and have to put in twice the effort. 95% of these kids are a reflection of their parents.
Full Time

Sparta, NJ

#70 Sep 26, 2012
not a bad place to live wrote:
the positive person sees all the good -the negative person sees only the bad.....Home from work sick- found this site while looking for somthing else and I can't believe this entire site! Almost every topic or post is downright evil. The amount of postings either show there are people home unemployed or simply bored. Nothing for kids to do in Vernon? That's BS!!!Vernon has school sports, Recreation teams, the PAL sports & dances & activities. Those who have the funds can sign their kids up for acting lessons, music lessons, the minerals spa, golf, ski, lesons. Even as a single poor parent, I set aside funds for at least one activity every year. Those who don't have the funds- then teach your kids how to create activity- go build a fort in the woods, join a program at school thats free. My kid when bored, grabbed his fishing pole and & camera & walked to nearby ponds and lakes to fish- yes even with the bears.I spent many hours just trail walking with him taking photos for some parent/kid time. I taught my child to be a 'stand-up' guy- but not a bully. All this talk about 'what everyone else doing' with drugs, bullying, school- Problems like this exist everywhere- teach your children to Ignore A***** & keep moving. Teachers- yes we had a few jerky ones- but we dealt with it. I have a jerky boss- do a quit my job? No I face it and learn to succeed anyway. Vernon has been a fine place to live- Menards; seems you are on every freakin' topic give your crappy negative opinion about the condo's, & vernon-(and many untruths) but from your one post last year you stated you abandoned your condo and moved!? So why you still on here bashing Vernon? To the parent who lost their child- truly sorry for your loss; there are always going to be those kids who seek way more excitement than a sports activity can give them & have a hard time expressing themselves that don't see the danger in drugs until its too late. Other towns- Sparta, Franklin, etc. have also had overdoses and deaths- but Vernon is more populated, so the numbers go up. So keep posting about how bad Vernon is, the schools, the condos, the driving times to shopping, the drugs- then sit and wonder why nobody wants to move here & buy your house! All the parents on here- get the heck of the computer & go do SOMETHING wth your child! Esp. the single parents- your MOM and DAD and have to put in twice the effort. 95% of these kids are a reflection of their parents.
A few home truths told to be sure. All-in-all a great post.
myopinion

Warwick, NY

#71 Sep 27, 2012
Vernon, nice place to live but we pay way too much in taxes for what we get in return!!!

Since: Feb 11

Philadelphia, PA

#72 Sep 27, 2012
not a bad place to live wrote:
the positive person sees all the good -the negative person sees only the bad.....Home from work sick- found this site while looking for somthing else and I can't believe this entire site! Almost every topic or post is downright evil. The amount of postings either show there are people home unemployed or simply bored. Nothing for kids to do in Vernon? That's BS!!!Vernon has school sports, Recreation teams, the PAL sports & dances & activities. Those who have the funds can sign their kids up for acting lessons, music lessons, the minerals spa, golf, ski, lesons. Even as a single poor parent, I set aside funds for at least one activity every year. Those who don't have the funds- then teach your kids how to create activity- go build a fort in the woods, join a program at school thats free. My kid when bored, grabbed his fishing pole and & camera & walked to nearby ponds and lakes to fish- yes even with the bears.I spent many hours just trail walking with him taking photos for some parent/kid time. I taught my child to be a 'stand-up' guy- but not a bully. All this talk about 'what everyone else doing' with drugs, bullying, school- Problems like this exist everywhere- teach your children to Ignore A***** & keep moving. Teachers- yes we had a few jerky ones- but we dealt with it. I have a jerky boss- do a quit my job? No I face it and learn to succeed anyway. Vernon has been a fine place to live- Menards; seems you are on every freakin' topic give your crappy negative opinion about the condo's, & vernon-(and many untruths) but from your one post last year you stated you abandoned your condo and moved!? So why you still on here bashing Vernon? To the parent who lost their child- truly sorry for your loss; there are always going to be those kids who seek way more excitement than a sports activity can give them & have a hard time expressing themselves that don't see the danger in drugs until its too late. Other towns- Sparta, Franklin, etc. have also had overdoses and deaths- but Vernon is more populated, so the numbers go up. So keep posting about how bad Vernon is, the schools, the condos, the driving times to shopping, the drugs- then sit and wonder why nobody wants to move here & buy your house! All the parents on here- get the heck of the computer & go do SOMETHING wth your child! Esp. the single parents- your MOM and DAD and have to put in twice the effort. 95% of these kids are a reflection of their parents.
Where is the "applaud" button?

Since: Aug 10

AOL

#74 Sep 30, 2012
I moved to Vernon under great protest from MI and was prepared to hate it. I fell in love. The beauty of the area and the warmth of the people had me in the first week. After three years we had to move to FL due to job transfer. I would move back in a heartbeat even with the taxes. Vernon/Sussex county is a wonderful place to live.
Go one direction for beautiful farms and produce, go another for Manhatten. You are less than two hours from everything!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#76 Oct 3, 2012
My family loves Vernon..just keep your kids in with the right crowd which isn't easy there. That's my input lol.
Eric

Highland Lakes, NJ

#77 Dec 19, 2012
Good god I am moving to Western KY in order to get my family as far from Vernon and NJ as I can. Our schools are the worst and our taxes are the highest. In Glasgow Kentucky I will be paying $1,600 property tax for a nice house with 2 acres and very highly rated public school.
Flip side

Sussex, NJ

#78 Dec 19, 2012
Good luck to you Eric. We will also be going that route...well, maybe not to Kentucky but out of Vernon for sure and very possibly out of New Jersey. The taxes here are high and we're getting less and less bang for our buck. Big deal, we got a penny reduction in municipal taxes overshadowed by the increase in school taxes (although we had a huge reduction in enrollment) and county taxes.
slr

Newton, NJ

#79 Dec 22, 2012
we moved from clifton to vernon about 10 years ago..people in vernon think taxes are high..we had a 50 x100 foot lot in clifton and payed about 5,000. we now have a little shy of an acre and pay over 6,000...it is true about kids having nothing to do up here. they do try, but not much to offer...my kids are grown so can't comment on what the kids can do..my son and daughter in law decided to home school after their kids going to school two years and they were not happy , my daughters kids have no problems in school..seems most of the problems are on the bus..i live right by mountain creek, it does get busy..but if you are from clifton..its not what everyone up here thinks is busy...it is a beautiful area, but try to find a house in more..not close to the congested areas....good luck to you and your family
Flip side

Sussex, NJ

#80 Dec 22, 2012
slr....you also had garbage collection and probably other services figured into your clifton taxes which we have to pay for ourselves. Add those things to your vernon tax amount and it will be much higher.
NY driver

Brooklyn, NY

#81 Jun 11, 2013
First I drive from Vernon to NYC 5 days a week at 4AM and it is a 1 hour drive every day, if I left at 8AM it would be a 2 hour ride, so it depends on your drive time for sure. But dont lie and say it cant be done(Menards). For the people that picked on the realtor, she was just stating what she feels, under her real name unlike the chicken shi%$# that " gotcha", boy did that look stupid!
I love it up here, best thing I ever did!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#82 Jun 11, 2013
NY driver wrote:
First I drive from Vernon to NYC 5 days a week at 4AM and it is a 1 hour drive every day, if I left at 8AM it would be a 2 hour ride, so it depends on your drive time for sure. But dont lie and say it cant be done(Menards). For the people that picked on the realtor, she was just stating what she feels, under her real name unlike the chicken shi%$# that " gotcha", boy did that look stupid!
I love it up here, best thing I ever did!
Important pieces you left out. You leave at 4AM. You get to NYC at 5AM. What time does work start? What time are you done with work? What time do you get back to Vernon in the evening? What is your "true cost" of commuting?(Time & Money) Be honest w/ the answers & with yourself.
Folder

Roseland, NJ

#83 Jun 18, 2013
Grumpy old man wrote:
Bella wrote:
Vernon High school teachers and administrators pick their favorite kids and if your kids are not on the favorite list they are over looked - ignored and at times bullied by teachers along with the student bullies. The high school is headed towards a major problem and it is going to take a student suicide before they wake up and smell the coffee. I would not move here if you have kids or are thinking of having kids. I would consider Sparta instead. I have friends in Sparta and they are amazed at the issues our high school has with student bullying and drugs and how the administration and teachers have been caught red handed looking the other way. If I had to do it all over again I would live here but send my kids to a different school.
Even worse, if a teacher has a problem with a parent they sometimes take their hatred out on that adult's child. Cowardly but has been done over the years and been overlooked. If I had to do it over I would NEVER live in Vernon. Its the Township made up of a majority of loudmouth idiots without common sense.
Could not agree with you more!! SOOOO glad my daughters are out of the school system and in college. Now we are looking to get out of here as soon as we can sell her house (HA HA another big joke).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sussex Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vernon,nj info wanted please! :) 4 hr brisk 1
Burke Catholic - Across the border Oct 16 SeekingTradition 2
Flea market planned at Rickey Farm Oct 15 LINDA GAMMON 1
Waldwick entertains plans for apartment complex Oct 11 Papa29 1
Free Online Training & Certificate Offered in M... (Dec '09) Oct 9 Deepika 40
Legends Resort (Jan '06) Oct 2 Ladeeda 2,813
Should Vernon buy Camp Sussex?? Oct 2 jakstraw 10

Sussex News Video

Sussex Dating
Find my Match

Sussex Jobs

Sussex People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Sussex News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Sussex

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]