Comments
21 - 35 of 35 Comments Last updated Mar 7, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
princess aurora

La Porte, IN

#21 May 27, 2008
if the rod doesn't work why make a water heater with that?
stegeraptliving

United States

#22 Nov 14, 2011
I live in an apartment. What can I do?
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#23 Nov 15, 2011
stegeraptliving wrote:
I live in an apartment. What can I do?
Steger seems to be having a problem with iron bacteria in the system. It is NOT harmful, but will give the water a very bad smell, and you may see black deposits in the sinks and tub. Call the village hall and file a complaint or better yet write a letter to the village board.

You can also get a filter the attaches to the faucet.

I know the s/e side of town is having a problem. I'm curious about other sections of town.
water

Quincy, IL

#24 Nov 15, 2011
Its seems very hard to believe that steger water is not harmful. I moved out of steger for a while and just moved back. This water is so disgusting. I dont even like to brush my teeth in it! I rent too so Im pretty much screwed! I get bottles for drinking and for my baby of course. I dont even like bathing him in it. It stinks and there are chunks in the water. I didnt have a bath stopper for the first week I moved in. I used a wash cloth. It was white, but by then end of the week it was dark brown! I should have saved it and took a picture! One of the things that I hate about this community! I hope we dont have to stay here for long.:(
papaadoc

Homewood, IL

#25 Nov 15, 2011
water wrote:
Its seems very hard to believe that steger water is not harmful. I moved out of steger for a while and just moved back. This water is so disgusting. I dont even like to brush my teeth in it! I rent too so Im pretty much screwed! I get bottles for drinking and for my baby of course. I dont even like bathing him in it. It stinks and there are chunks in the water. I didnt have a bath stopper for the first week I moved in. I used a wash cloth. It was white, but by then end of the week it was dark brown! I should have saved it and took a picture! One of the things that I hate about this community! I hope we dont have to stay here for long.:(
I did some research about iron bacteria. My filter was coated in it. I can only speak for the iron bacteria not being harmful.

Can you reply with what part of town you live in? Such as north east, north west, south east , or south west. Maybe if enough people complain to the board they will do something. It appears they consider me only one voice.
hmmmmmmmmmmm

Markham, IL

#26 Sep 13, 2012
anothe example

“the One and Only.....”

Since: Dec 10

Steger

#27 Sep 14, 2012
I grew up with wonderful lake Michagan water, my father ran the water dept., and when we moved to Steger, he was schocked. He went to village hall and got the local water reports, the amount of metals and toxins in the water, including vinyl chloride were so high above standards, he couldnt believe they got away with it. He was only told, Well, this is Steger". Lake Michagan water is more expensive, but consider all the money thrown into home treatment systems, faucets, fixtures and hot water heaters that must be replaced way sooner then the norm due to the corrosive water. The head of public works, who was also a fellow firefighter at the time, told us to be careful washing the firetrucks and dry them off as fast as possible, because the corrosive water ate the clearcoat paint right off the trucks! And that was so true! I always wash my car at places that use softened water only. And the other point to consider is, if we had city water, it would still be piped through the same old rusty pipes that we have now, tainting that expensive water. I've flushed many mains in town, and the filth that comes out of every single one would make you gag. Many times it took several minutes of full force water flow before it would even start to turn clear. And Im sure more sludged was stirred and ended up in all those expensive filtration systems. Id like to know why the attorney handling the lawsuit in Sauk Village doesnt come here and do the same. there is no reason us residents should have to pay for all that equipment just to have decent drinking water. Maybe if we had a head of public works with an enviormental biology degree in place instead of a town lackey who's only qualification is he knows everyone in town, was on the fire dept. and is bff's with the other last great hold-out from the Elmer joyce/Sherman/Tieri/Lamastus regime, Cheif Rosner, we wouldnt have this crappy water forced upon us. On my 3rd water heater in 20 years, 2nd sink faucet, 2nd sbathroom sink faucet, and 3rd toilet internal parts, all corrodded to dust from the water.....
yea right

Markham, IL

#28 Sep 16, 2012
StegerFox wrote:
I grew up with wonderful lake Michagan water, my father ran the water dept., and when we moved to Steger, he was schocked. He went to village hall and got the local water reports, the amount of metals and toxins in the water, including vinyl chloride were so high above standards, he couldnt believe they got away with it. He was only told, Well, this is Steger". Lake Michagan water is more expensive, but consider all the money thrown into home treatment systems, faucets, fixtures and hot water heaters that must be replaced way sooner then the norm due to the corrosive water. The head of public works, who was also a fellow firefighter at the time, told us to be careful washing the firetrucks and dry them off as fast as possible, because the corrosive water ate the clearcoat paint right off the trucks! And that was so true! I always wash my car at places that use softened water only. And the other point to consider is, if we had city water, it would still be piped through the same old rusty pipes that we have now, tainting that expensive water. I've flushed many mains in town, and the filth that comes out of every single one would make you gag. Many times it took several minutes of full force water flow before it would even start to turn clear. And Im sure more sludged was stirred and ended up in all those expensive filtration systems. Id like to know why the attorney handling the lawsuit in Sauk Village doesnt come here and do the same. there is no reason us residents should have to pay for all that equipment just to have decent drinking water. Maybe if we had a head of public works with an enviormental biology degree in place instead of a town lackey who's only qualification is he knows everyone in town, was on the fire dept. and is bff's with the other last great hold-out from the Elmer joyce/Sherman/Tieri/Lamastus regime, Cheif Rosner, we wouldnt have this crappy water forced upon us. On my 3rd water heater in 20 years, 2nd sink faucet, 2nd sbathroom sink faucet, and 3rd toilet internal parts, all corrodded to dust from the water.....
SO BAD AND YET YOU STILL LIVE HER ??

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#29 Sep 16, 2012
StegerFox wrote:
Everything I found online said that water heaters should last roughly 8-12 years. So you being on your 3rd in 20 years doesn't sound unreasonable. Do you work for the water dept? You stated that you have flushed many mains in this town. What's the education level of the heads of water departments around us?

“the One and Only.....”

Steger

#32 Oct 7, 2012
Volunteer Fire Dept., where we all learned to flush hydrants. I am a college grad.(Bachelor of Science)
My father and nephew are and were enviromental engineers and I think I've had enough chem and micro to know nasty when I see it. Just seems our water services could be a lot better than they are.
dog face

Markham, IL

#33 Oct 9, 2012
StegerFox wrote:
Volunteer Fire Dept., where we all learned to flush hydrants. I am a college grad.(Bachelor of Science)
My father and nephew are and were enviromental engineers and I think I've had enough chem and micro to know nasty when I see it. Just seems our water services could be a lot better than they are.
why dont you drink out of mud puddles then......thats what foxes do.....

“the One and Only.....”

Steger

#34 Oct 9, 2012
keep barking, dog
papafox

Markham, IL

#35 Oct 10, 2012
StegerFox wrote:
keep barking, dog
if th paw fits wear it mutt
Yessy

Homewood, IL

#36 Mar 7, 2013
No wonder Steger's water is awful and nasty! i moved here 2 years ago and the running sink water, when i bring it close to my nose, i can smell faint sewer in it. so nasty!! i refuse to drink that or cook with that water! we buy bottled waters here. I previously lived in Homewood and the Homewood city water sucked too. i think their water was too high in fluoride to fight off water bugs cuz when i ran the Homewood water though my coffee filter.. just water, there were white chunks remains on the filter, that could have otherwise ended up in my drinking glass! plus, we had alot water bugs coming out of the Homewood sinks and tubs. yuck so then I moved to Steger, and ran the water through the coffee filter again and there were no remains but the water stinks and i am sure it causes cancer because of what i saw on the Steger water 2011 report, it failed for high amount of radioactive materials in the water which cause cancer. just wonderful.
Flabbergasted

Harvey, IL

#37 Mar 7, 2013
This water is so nasty. How do you view the reports that you mentioned? I have been here for 3 years now and the water is rusty, sludgy, smelly, and clearly dangerous. We do not cook with it nor do we drink it, but we do wash clothes, dishes and ourselves and our children in it. Now, I am really concerned from what I have read in these posts. We even have a triple carbon filtration system on our main, but still, we get all of the gunk and junk. I am moving asap. Thanks for the info.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CHPD Promotions 49 min Anonymous 1
Bengal Football.., 54 min TheTaxMan 4
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Duane Mills 49,476
Brementowne Car Breakins 1 hr yea 3
crete laundry & dry cleaning 8 hr MRS OPION 1
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 11 hr newpoly 1,903
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 22 hr Stanky Pete 7,560
•••
•••

Steger Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Steger People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Steger News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Steger