First Prev
of 3
Next Last
renee

United States

#1 Jul 29, 2012
Friends and i witnessed death of a cliff jumper yesterday, young man in his 20s. I would like to send condolences to family but dont know his name or where he is from. If anyone has more info, thanks. This has yet to reach news from what I can see.
Jamie

Belleville, IL

#2 Jul 29, 2012
renee wrote:
Friends and i witnessed death of a cliff jumper yesterday, young man in his 20s. I would like to send condolences to family but dont know his name or where he is from. If anyone has more info, thanks. This has yet to reach news from what I can see.
We saw him being taken to the ambulance and they were flying him out. Are you sure he died?
renee

United States

#3 Jul 29, 2012
Jamie wrote:
<quoted text>
We saw him being taken to the ambulance and they were flying him out. Are you sure he died?
A source that works for the resort we stayed at told us he did not make it.
renee

United States

#4 Jul 29, 2012
We were also present for life-saving efforts and it appeared this was not successful. Very sad.
Donna

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jul 29, 2012
Was he staying at Huzzah Valley Resort? We talked to someone who helped with the guys rescue and he said the guy was in really bad shape and didn't think he was going to make it. It's just sad that such a great weekend ended in tragedy.
renee

United States

#6 Jul 29, 2012
Yes Huzzah valley, we believe their campsite was one near ours as well. We knew for sure there was neck/spinal injury and severe so the outlook wasn't good..it has made me quite sad for his family and loved ones so i wish I knew who he was to express my sympathy to them. But it may never be known I guess.
Nick

Belleville, IL

#7 Jul 29, 2012
Was this the same guy that was impaled by the stick in the chest?
Donna

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Jul 29, 2012
That is horrible. I pray for comfort for his family and loved ones. It's just a shame that having fun can be so tragic. I wish these young kids that drink would make better decisions when it comes to doing things that can change lives forever. I have nephew that is getting close to that age I hope he makes better choices for his life. I'm not trying to sound like I don't like to drink and have fun with my friends but you really have to think about those choices and how it effects everyone.
renee

United States

#9 Jul 29, 2012
Nick wrote:
Was this the same guy that was impaled by the stick in the chest?
I think so, but not 100% certain on that part.
Regular camper

Euless, TX

#10 Jul 29, 2012
The guy died. Will be in the Steelville News Weds. The Chest wound was another and a different cliff diver also broke his legg this weekend. There was also a guy who went into convultions brought on by alcohol poisoning. Sad weekend
renee

United States

#11 Jul 29, 2012
Regular camper wrote:
The guy died. Will be in the Steelville News Weds. The Chest wound was another and a different cliff diver also broke his legg this weekend. There was also a guy who went into convultions brought on by alcohol poisoning. Sad weekend
Thanks for that info. Wasnt aware of all those other terrible things. I have been going to Huzzah for years and I never want fo go back now.
Regular camper

Euless, TX

#12 Jul 29, 2012
Don't let these tragedies ruin the best part of your summer. The various resorts aren't responsible for what the floaters do while on the river. It's sad that Huzzah which is the most family friendly had the guest who died, however Missouri law and common sense govern the river. It's something how the younger generation has turned camping into a floating armada of blaring stereos and booze. We get on the water at 8 and are way ahead of them, and there have been injuries, drownings and other deaths in the past, and there will be in the future. Maybe the thing to do is remind your party next summer that you never ever ever dive head first off of a cliff.
renee

United States

#13 Jul 29, 2012
Not saying huzzah is responsible. Just dont want to return to where I saw someone die, simply. And i did not enjoy the crowded fest of drunkeness at all. My friends are experienced floaters and would not have to be told that an act like this is deadly. I will just float elsewhere next time i want to do it.
Unhappy Camper

Jerseyville, IL

#14 Jul 29, 2012
I have to agree that Huzzah is not to blame for this tragic incident, but 2000 floaters was WAY TOO MANY!!! Maybe if the river wasn't so overcrowded the team on the helicopter could have assisted the man sooner. Even the holding back of floaters so the helicopter could land, may have played a part in the timing in this situation. I have not heard if the man made it or not, other than on this page. As for myself I choose not to consider this a reliable source. Prayers to this man and his family.
Regular camper

Euless, TX

#15 Jul 30, 2012
I can understand not wanting to see that place again. Normally we float the upper instead of down to the cave, it's raft free and very family friendly - quiet. I also understand how disturbed you are. The people in the next site over from us saw it and decide to leave sat night
Stacey

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Jul 30, 2012
We were camping there this weekend and heard about the fatality, so very sad. Some of the people we floated with actually talked some kids out of jumping. It only takes a few people to ruin a good time. Those that sit in their rafts and encourage people to jump are also the people too chicken to do it themselves. Just wish people would think before they drink.
Something else that happened this weekend at Huzzah Valley, was that my sister-in-law accidentally left her purse in the bathroom. When she realized it minutes later, it was gone along with the keys to the car, wallet, and phone. There was a man directly outside of the restrooms that the person could've turned the purse in to but apparently they decided to take it. Very sad that there are such dishonest people in the world. If they needed the money (the whole $35 that was in there) take it, but leave the rest. We had to call family to come get us and arrange to have the vehicle towed from Steelville to St. Louis. Be careful with your valuables when camping, there are people who pray on vulnerable campers. Another group of people said their cooler was stolen Friday night.
Jodi

Gillespie, IL

#17 Jul 30, 2012
We were there as well. My friends and I were trying to talk people out of jumping. There were 14 of us, along with others, yelling don't jump. At one point, there was a boy that appeared to be my sons age, which is 13. He was smart enough to turn around and not jump. As soon as we got past there, we saw a man running and frantically asking for a cell phone. Nobody had one as there isn't service there. At that point we knew something had happened, but didn't know what. I pray for the family, the friends he was with, and those who witnessed this. My husband and I have discussed this with our kids. Eventually they'll go canoeing too.
renee

United States

#18 Jul 30, 2012
Regular camper wrote:
I can understand not wanting to see that place again. Normally we float the upper instead of down to the cave, it's raft free and very family friendly - quiet. I also understand how disturbed you are. The people in the next site over from us saw it and decide to leave sat night
We saw an abandoned campsite when we returned, guess that was them
Ashley

Tucson, AZ

#19 Jul 30, 2012
renee wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that info. Wasnt aware of all those other terrible things. I have been going to Huzzah for years and I never want fo go back now.
It wasn't Huzzah Valley's fault that the guy jumped. My friends own that resort & they always tell people not to jump off the cliffs!!
renee

United States

#23 Jul 30, 2012
Ashley wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't Huzzah Valley's fault that the guy jumped. My friends own that resort & they always tell people not to jump off the cliffs!!
Never said it was their fault. Not going back because im too sad about what i saw, which would be the case no matter where it happened

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steelville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
about salem 23 min Reality 21
Gift store by bmv..please read and beware 3 hr Reality 24
Anonymous names Salemite among KKK list of memb... 5 hr SJH2 28
Childcare 8 hr Kunta kinte 9
What could be Salem's future? 14 hr landlords 26
Jessie Tripp Seay - run with it.... 18 hr Takedown 12
Abandoned real estate. 21 hr usmc 16
Steelville Dating
Find my Match

Steelville People Search