Doctor Reprimanded After Woman With Maggot-Infested Wounds Dies

Nov 14, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Hartford Courant

An East Lyme doctor has been reprimanded and placed on probation for failing to properly care for a 92-year-old patient whose maggot-infested wounds were discovered by medics responding to the woman's home five days after Dr.

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated May 19, 2013
Frostydan8

Niantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2011

Judged:

Nice job Doc.
Laurie

Waterford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2011

Judged:

Was the doctor living with the elderly woman? It sounds like she should have have supervised care to begin with. I am not being unkind. Most of us will, at some point in our lives, have to be dependent upon the care of others.
Left to his own judgment and hired help, my grandfather would have died from living on pie and milk, because he was diabetic, as well as having hardening of the arteries, which causes symptoms similar to Alzheimer's. He had been the boss all his life, and the only hired help that stayed was the help that let him bully them into giving him his way. His eldest son had to drive 2 1/2 hours to check on him after my dad died (he had lived a mile away and checked on him and the help 2x a day). My uncle found my grandfather incoherent, dehydrated, and in pain from a severe urinary tract infection. This was NOT a doctor's fault. He was stubborn. My uncle had to become his father's decision maker, and ended up taking him home with him, where he was loved and had around-the-clock care (between family and part-time hired help). He was one of the lucky ones. When he died at almost 88, it was because he was worn out. If this woman had family, she and her family should accept the burden of responsibility for this. If she wasn't okay to live alone and make decisions for herself, she should have been in a retirement home or have had around-the-clock hired caregivers. You cannot reasonably expect the DOCTOR to do this!!!
ana quinones

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2011

The doctor should've been more in care for the patient, signing a nurse for her wether the patients daughter wanted to care for her also. He should've done research of the patients sore,diagnose and treat it and for any other unexplainable health problems,,,,way to go doc!!! NOT!!!!!!
Jlf

Oakdale, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

How can a daughter let her own mother get to that point? It sounds like there was great neglect in personal hygiene and lack of interest on the daughters side...until the situation had gotten so bad she had to find a scapegoat to blame this on. Its amazing withing days the mom developed sores, and magots---the daughter needs to take responsibility for the lack of her actions.
Jlf

Oakdale, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

ana quinones wrote:
The doctor should've been more in care for the patient, signing a nurse for her wether the patients daughter wanted to care for her also. He should've done research of the patients sore,diagnose and treat it and for any other unexplainable health problems,,,,way to go doc!!! NOT!!!!!!
Even though this is the daughters scapegoat, the Dr. should of gone over her head and called the hospital or the police for the woman(mom) who was so neglected in the first place. Leaving her there under the same care was not right, getting out of there no matter what may have had better results.
moon rider

Lily, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2012

It's just so,so sad that our elders are not taken care of after they gave their lives to dedicate it to us. If you don't want the job of taking care of them? then at least put them in a home and check on them at least once a week if possible. My dad stayed with me 1 yrs before he died. It was hard and he was demanding but he took care of 4 of us, well with my moms help, of course and I could not turn him down. He had almost everything his heart desired, except to live longer, that I could not give him. I won't lie it was hard and don't blame anyone for going the olde age home, just make sure u go and see them frequently. Good Luck to all. Please do no forsake them, they are really scared already. God Bless
Foamer King

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Hack,
Foamer cound do a better job, maggots are not a girl's best friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stafford Springs Discussions

Search the Stafford Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Tobacco Field Camp (May '12) Jul 19 Joe 3
Bliss Market In Wethersfield Closes Jul 5 Witness 1
Trumbull Police Officer Charged with Sexual Ass... Jun '14 Katie 5
Review: Dream Vacuum May '14 Great Central Vacuum 1
Looking for Edward Palomba May '14 stephanie 1
Review: ONE OF A KIND THRIFT STORE May '14 EAST LONGMEADOW 1
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 America Gentleman Samuel 780
•••
•••
•••
•••

Stafford Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Stafford Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••