St. Petersburg tattoo artist Frankie D, 35, found dead

Jul 12, 2010 Full story: St. Petersburg Times 16

Frank Donofrio, better known as Frankie D, attracted clients from around the world.

Full Story
dwill64

Tampa, FL

#2 Jul 12, 2010
Nice to have people speculating from so far away. Maybe true, but we could wait and see what ME uncovers. Even if this is true that is not his legacy.God Bless to family and true friends. Frankie was a wonderful man and a beautiful soul. I am proud to have met him and will always carry a piece of him with me. No Tatt too small or insignificant. He took your vision and made it special....
thkpaul

Saint Peters, MO

#3 Jul 12, 2010
There aren't enough words to describe the man and friend Frank was. He could always turn a bad day into one filled with adventure. You know what I mean if you new Frank. I'll forever now look up before I walk into any tattoo shop or go home to IRB.
Katie O

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jul 12, 2010
My prayers to his mother and family and loved ones. Frank was always polite, a kind and gentle soul. I first knew him back in middle school; he was always considerate, thoughtful and several steps ahead of the crowd. God rest his soul.
moniqueg

Mount Victoria, MD

#5 Jul 12, 2010
RIP Frank. Will miss u buddy. All the silly shit. Many years. Many phases of Frank. Much love. Times ya kinda pissed me off. Times u got it when none did. Always love u.
JJankvc

Tampa, FL

#6 Jul 13, 2010
I cannot believe this news. You were a sweet softy with a million dollar smile. You were wound so tight and so anxious all the time.... you never put your phone down for more than thirty seconds. But all in all I was always happy to see you. We will miss you. You were special.
Travis Kane

Dunedin, FL

#7 Jul 13, 2010
Frankie was at one time a roomate of mine and we became very close friends and couldnt be seperated. I have stayed the weekends at his moms house in tallahasee and had a blast shotin his grandads guns in the woods. Back in the day we used to get shitfaced and kick the shit out of spring break frat boys. I am going to miss his humor and talent and i am so sad that he never got around to tattooing me. I will always miss you Frank.
Susan

United States

#8 Jul 13, 2010
I have only known Frank for a very short time through his girlfriend, Jana Lee. The love and respect each shared was so obvious; but so was their body art. Frank gets an A+ in Fine Arts! God rest his gentle soul. My condolences to his family, friends, and love in his life, Jana Lee.
caroline_b

Spring Hill, FL

#9 Jul 14, 2010
Frankie, i met you when i was 17, you were the attractive tattooed man that i'd see riding around st.pete or downtown on one of your many scooters or that awesome ford falcon with the leopard print interior that you loved so much! you gave me my first tattoo at 18 and we had a great friendship through the years. i remember how excited you were for opening your own shop and i was proud that you were being able to accomplish one of your biggest dreams and goals. you always were able to cheer me up when i was feeling down in the dumps or having a lousy day and i looked up to you numerous times for advice on things in the past. i have some beautiful work forever on my skin that will always be apart of me and that i will always be able to look back on and think of you and the great memories i was so lucky to have made from being your friend. i am so sorry that i wasn't around too much this past year, but it was hard for me to see you not at your best. i certainly hope with everything that you are at utmost peace up in your heaven, looking down at all of us who will love and miss you and the times we got to share. you had a heart of gold and a big caring soul that brightened and touched a lot of peoples lives in the past 35 years. we are all lucky to have known you for the time that we did, even though that time was cut way too short. thank you Frank Donofrio for being the warm and kind hearted person that you were and for giving me the honor of knowing your friendship the time that i did, and for sharing your amazing talent with not only me but all of us. i know you will always be looking down on us from up above and showering us with your love. may you always rest in peace. you will be extremely missed. thank you for being a great friend to me <3
yeahyeah

Torrance, CA

#10 Jul 14, 2010
Babe. I will miss you so much. you left your mark on my heart 6 years ago and that will last longer than any tattoo. My favorite memory of you is when we got caught in that monsterous rainstorm while on your scooter (i didnt believe you when you told me it was going to rain), and were soaking wet by the time we got home and slid onto your front porch, then you kissed me for the first time. I'll see you up there ILY.
Esther Brooke

Tampa, FL

#11 Jul 14, 2010
Frankie D grew up with my uncle J, uncle tommy, uncle vinny, and travis. He was around sice before i was born, and even baby sat me when i was growing up. I considered him an uncle, and part of my family. I saw him everyday, considering i live and work down the street from him , and he was always my favorite person to pick on. I'm so sorry that you and i weren't closer. but i do know that you helped me through alot, and i loved coming to the shop to hang out with you and renee all day. your passing away was sudden and unexpected. and we are all torn apart by the thought. you were a remarkable person, who did remarkable things. you even encouraged me to go to college, and i start in august. i love you , and thank you for everything. Rest in peace frankie.
irb-

Clearwater, FL

#12 Jul 15, 2010
Frankie, I'm sorry to say that it's been more than a few years since I last saw you. I wish I hadn't let life get in the way of staying in touch. I will never forget the times we spent as teens hanging out, cruising down the beach in the falcon after you picked me up from work, & of course watching you tattoo in your pink apt w/ loads of friends always around! You were always the most caring, gentle soul around, may you now RIP. You will be dearly missed.
Kathryn Spencer-Atkinson

Tampa, FL

#13 Jul 15, 2010
Travis Kane wrote:
Frankie was at one time a roomate of mine and we became very close friends and couldnt be seperated. I have stayed the weekends at his moms house in tallahasee and had a blast shotin his grandads guns in the woods. Back in the day we used to get shitfaced and kick the shit out of spring break frat boys. I am going to miss his humor and talent and i am so sad that he never got around to tattooing me. I will always miss you Frank.
One of my favorite memories is when we got into that car accident and Frank pretended he was with the EMS! You jumped out of my car and yelled, "Dun dun duuuun...When cars attack!!" Man those were the days. So many good times hanging out in the backyard around the fire @ Bills...RIP Frank.:(
dharma

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 Jul 16, 2010
we met loved ur work, sorry to see your energy was called elsewhere, RIP its obvious you made your mark..
Tait

Brandon, FL

#15 Jul 17, 2010
another artist wrote:
Anytime someone dies it is unfortunate.. I just hope we don't find out it was an overdose of all the Oxycontins he popped?
I think you need to STFU. No one cares about your 2k mile away speculations. Even If it was true.. it's rather insensative. Frankie is now free of whatever pains he may have had. When you die would hundreds turn out to your memorial? Shows what an impact he has had on so many peoples lives.

We miss you FRANKIE..
Jsin Decker

Cape May, NJ

#16 Feb 23, 2013
Damn.. R.I.P Frankie u were the man! Kickass artist and friend....very sad to hear this "God Speed brother!!!
Liz McD

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Mar 10, 2013
Snorting & shooting oxy is a bitch. Sometimes the party ends early & you die at 35.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St. Petersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Castro: Cuba Will Cooperate With US In Ebola Fight 4 hr Liberal forever 1
Truck containing 36,000 pounds of Crisco stolen 4 hr You seem unaware 14
Man accused of stealing restaurant's plumbing 11 hr DILF 7
Trustworthy mechanic in St. Pete/Tampa? 13 hr Wokka Wokka 3
do british black men like haitian american women Sun haitiangal96 1
looking for k2/spice/herbal incense Sun derik 4
coffee (Dec '13) Oct 17 guest 145
St. Petersburg Dating
Find my Match

St. Petersburg Jobs