Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2012

Judged:

I took my dog to the Laurel Oaks Vet clinic. My dog had some severe swelling in two mammary glands; one the size of a baseball and the other half that size. When I got up enough money (only one of us working), I took her in. The vet offered to perform surgery for $1000+, but never mentioned an antibiotic or an infection. She also diagnosed my dog with congestive heart failure and said she could die next week, month or a year from now and gave me some tablets to give to my dog for the heart failure.
I gave my dog one pill (not 1 1/2 twice daily as directed, "to keep her alive")and she wouldn't eat for two days and and didn't want to get off the couch. When the "medication", Vetmedin Tabs, wore off she was good as new. That is to say, she seemed just fine, aside from the swollen mammary glands.
After some research online, I bought some amoxicillin (for the swelling) for fish, because you have to have a prescription for amoxicillin for dogs/cats and I could not afford another vet visit. It's been three days and the swelling has disappeared entirely from one mammary gland and the other is a third of the size it was.
You can't tell me this veterinarian did not know that this was probably an infection that did not require surgery, but rather a simple antibiotic. How greedy is that?
Is the economy so bad that everyone is trying to make up for the lack of business/payments received from out of work/out of home customers by increasing rates or screwing the few who are still able to pay in order to keep their income?
If we had not researched it (and it didn't take much research), my dog could have died from a simple infection because this vet wanted a cool thousand. Pisses me off.
For no frills no crap

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2012

Judged:

use Integrity Animal Hospital on Hwy 17 north in Kingsland.

No attractive, sweet young things kissing your Osprey Cove ass, but honest, competent, non-predatory veterinary medicine at reasonable rates.
Really

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2012

Judged:

alsointheknow wrote:
I took my dog to the Laurel Oaks Vet clinic. My dog had some severe swelling in two mammary glands; one the size of a baseball and the other half that size. When I got up enough money (only one of us working), I took her in. The vet offered to perform surgery for $1000+, but never mentioned an antibiotic or an infection. She also diagnosed my dog with congestive heart failure and said she could die next week, month or a year from now and gave me some tablets to give to my dog for the heart failure.
I gave my dog one pill (not 1 1/2 twice daily as directed, "to keep her alive")and she wouldn't eat for two days and and didn't want to get off the couch. When the "medication", Vetmedin Tabs, wore off she was good as new. That is to say, she seemed just fine, aside from the swollen mammary glands.
After some research online, I bought some amoxicillin (for the swelling) for fish, because you have to have a prescription for amoxicillin for dogs/cats and I could not afford another vet visit. It's been three days and the swelling has disappeared entirely from one mammary gland and the other is a third of the size it was.
You can't tell me this veterinarian did not know that this was probably an infection that did not require surgery, but rather a simple antibiotic. How greedy is that?
Is the economy so bad that everyone is trying to make up for the lack of business/payments received from out of work/out of home customers by increasing rates or screwing the few who are still able to pay in order to keep their income?
If we had not researched it (and it didn't take much research), my dog could have died from a simple infection because this vet wanted a cool thousand. Pisses me off.
You are not the only one that feels this way. They have been operating that way from day one. Stay Clear!!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2012

Judged:

For no frills no crap wrote:
use Integrity Animal Hospital on Hwy 17 north in Kingsland.
No attractive, sweet young things kissing your Osprey Cove ass, but honest, competent, non-predatory veterinary medicine at reasonable rates.
Thanks for the info, I'll go there in the future if necessary. If I could afford to live in Osprey Cove, I probably would have gotten the surgery done without a thought. I barely make enough to pay the bills and I have no loans, credit cards, etc.
fatboy

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

You gotta do what you have todo. I'm wondering about treating a dog with fish ??? meds though. How did you figuire the right amount?
You seem very angry w/ this Dr. Maybe your being rash in your pronoucment of greed. Glag your pooch is better.
I've had only GOOD things happen when we take our pup there. Good folk with fair prices.
AUC Atlanta

Herndon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

alsointheknow wrote:
We had a similar experience there.
Truth

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Their number one priority is to line their pockets with your money. They talk as sweet as any used car salesmen. Introduce a family pet problem outside of a routine visit and they go for the juggler and your wallet.
Hound

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Seems everyone's name at Laurel Oaks is "Bend Over", high prices for service and critter Meds.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Judged:

fatboy wrote:
You gotta do what you have todo. I'm wondering about treating a dog with fish ??? meds though. How did you figuire the right amount?
You seem very angry w/ this Dr. Maybe your being rash in your pronoucment of greed. Glag your pooch is better.
I've had only GOOD things happen when we take our pup there. Good folk with fair prices.
I did some research and it's the same Amoxicillin and I visited a vet site and saw that it recommended 5-10mg per pound. And yes I'm angry that they pretended that she needed surgery when she didn't. Glad you've been fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever procedures and treatments they recommend.
Local redneck lover

Herndon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

Judged:

My sister takes the family dog their for boarding when they go on vacation, they scam people. My sister gets a call saying their dog is depressed and throwing up, needs a shot and has to be isolated, raising their bill up. She is away on vacation, she has no choice only to say yes to the people at the vet office. Other times they added to the bill for more shots when the dog's shot were already updated. They are scammers, liars, and rude to people, their prices are over rated.
old timer

Albertville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2012

Judged:

Local redneck lover wrote:
My sister takes the family dog their for boarding when they go on vacation, they scam people. My sister gets a call saying their dog is depressed and throwing up, needs a shot and has to be isolated, raising their bill up. She is away on vacation, she has no choice only to say yes to the people at the vet office. Other times they added to the bill for more shots when the dog's shot were already updated. They are scammers, liars, and rude to people, their prices are over rated.
We also took our cat to this vet - they were very nice and seem to care but $300(and special cat food) later nothing had changed except she was getting worse - took her back - another $300.(different cat food)and still got worse losing more weight - then took her to Dr. Nunn on Hwy 17 as we had heard he was good - turns out she had an infection on her back paw. Can't say whey the first vet didn't catch this and am disappointed as I really thought they were good. Also no one called for a follow up on our cat from this vet. Have also heard that the people at the first vet need to charge at least $300 per visit to break even. We have three cats and all will be going to Dr. Nunn - the best.
another old timer

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2012

Judged:

old timer ~ I SO agree with you about Dr Nunn !

My daughter's (male) cat had what I was sure was a urinary tract blockage, and, just as with two legged kids, this reared up on the weekend. I called Laurel Oaks' after~hours number, described the problem, and asked for a return call. Two hours later, never got it.

Called Dr Nunn ~ he answered the phone and spent time with me about our cat's problem, which I happened to right about.

Dr Nunn not only is a great vet, his prices are reasonable, and his care and concern is genuine !
another old timer

Kingsland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2012

Judged:

Old Timer ~ I SO agree with you about Dr Nunn !

My daughter's (male) cat had what I determined to be a urinray tract blockage, and of course, it was over the weekend.

I called Laurel Oaks' after~hours number, described the problem and left my number. Two hours later ~ no return call.

I called Dr Nunn's after~hours number, he answered the phone, and spent time with me about our cat's problem, which I had guessed at correctly.

Not only is Dr Nunn a great vet, his charges for services are very reasonable, and he is genuinely caring and compassionate !
One major problem

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

is that the ratio of smiling, fawning, employees to patients is exceedingly high. I'm amazed at the number of people I see buying hugely marked-up "boutique" pet food there.
Integrity

Norridgewock, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

Dr Nunn literally saved my little dog's life. And the price was very affordable. I would recommend him to anyone.
I am woman

North Anson, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

When a certain vet worked at Integrity our dog keep getting worse off. We were told, after paying 600.00 and the dog was sicker than ever and keep falling over to take it to a neurologist...well...one day I bent over to kiss the dog and what an odor I smelled...yep it was an ear infection.
Went back and told the vet what I discovered....after antibiotics the dog has been fine and no longer large vet bills.
I love Dr. Nunn too and he does care about your wallet and your pets.
Dawg Professor

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

I find it hard to believe that Laurel Oaks really does this to it clients. I believe that it has gotten best Vet in Camden County since it opened. When you ride by there the parking lot is constantly full. What I have found is that all of the vets in town are the same price for basic services. You will find this out if you call around. Where the prices differ is on other procedure like surgery. You have to make sure that you compare apples to apples when shopping on anything. I also found when calling around that there is a big discrepancy on how much is charged for spay/neuter. When I did some digging I found out that not all the vets were doing the same thing. Some were very cheap (spay/neuter bus) but they offer no pain killers for the dog when it wakes up. Just be careful because cheaper is not always better. I don't condone ripping people off but at the same time I still find it hard to believe it happens when these Vets tell you what the costs are before you even agree to everything. Just my take though.
Actually

Saint Marys, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

The dozen (I counted) cars that are parked to the right of the building and facing away from it are all employee cars.

"What I have found is that all of the vets in town are the same price for basic services."

The above quote is absolutely, 100%, horse hockey!

Dawg Professor

Carnesville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

If you think I'm wrong about all the vets charging the same thing for basic services, why don't you call them and post what each of them charges for an office visits, shots,etc. I think you will find that im not making things up.
AUC Atlanta

Herndon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

Dawg Professor wrote:
If you think I'm wrong about all the vets charging the same thing for basic services, why don't you call them and post what each of them charges for an office visits, shots,etc. I think you will find that im not making things up.
Why did not YOU post these facts when you made YOUR statements?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

St. Marys Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

St. Marys People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••