California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
3,121 - 3,140 of 5,020 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago
Cyan

San Jose, CA

#3567 May 25, 2012
Freaks..z

Since: Sep 08

#3568 May 25, 2012
Cyan wrote:
Freaks..z
Gloop.
Go Green yes

El Cajon, CA

#3569 May 25, 2012
I totally agree with recycling and using the "reusable bags" because the PAC Ocean Garbage patch is already 2 times the size of the United States.. but charging for plastic or Paper.. yes it says both.. is stupid.. yes it will be a tax... just a control issue.. I'm for banning the use of plastic bags for "single use".. we can carry it out.. and stop contributing to the pollution but that is not what this bill is about.
Well Duh wrote:
Trying to be efficient and earth friendly, we use the paper bags three times before they wind up in their final "resting place." The first use is to carry out the groceries (we also use canvas bags as well). Secondly, we use them to collect all the recyclable (bottles, egg cartons, cans, etc.) trash in the house and then it all goes to the recycle bin that the City trash service picks up. Lastly, and most importantly, we use them to pick up the dog poop.
Did someone mention placing the plastic bags over the legislators' heads? Now that is a good start.:)

“Pull my paw...”

Since: Aug 08

#3570 May 25, 2012
Go Green yes wrote:
I totally agree with recycling and using the "reusable bags" because the PAC Ocean Garbage patch is already 2 times the size of the United States.. but charging for plastic or Paper.. yes it says both.. is stupid.. yes it will be a tax... just a control issue.. I'm for banning the use of plastic bags for "single use".. we can carry it out.. and stop contributing to the pollution but that is not what this bill is about.
<quoted text>
Do You mind?...We were talking about smelly mexicans here.
Raydot

California City, CA

#3571 May 25, 2012
Illegal means against the law!! Anyone who does not give a damn about this countries laws, does not give a damn about this country. Barack Obama does not give a damn about this country. Employers who hire illegal aliens, do not give a damn about this country. Sanctuary cities who pander to these criminals, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, do not give a damn about this country. People who do not give a damn about our laws should and will be shot dead. It's comming, it's not if, it's when. Before California completely dies, you can count on one thing, the criminals that caused this will pay the ultimate price for their illegal activities. Los Angeles City council, San Fransisco City Council and county officials along with Police Chiefs who did not enforce the law. It's comming. We are in a civil cold war right now. Jerry Brown has been an absolute failure governing the state of California. The idiots that voted for Jerry Brown, voted for NO jobs for American's and more illegal aliens. You idiots will for sure pay, for being traders and working against the state of California. You must feel real proud that you brought down a state by pandering to illegal aliens. You are guilty!!!!!! You can stick your same sex marriage up your ass as well. Anchor baby brats are illegal aliens too. Everyone is in big trouble in California. They are making huge cuts so they can keep their illegal alien slave labor illegal baby brats. Everyone will suffer before this is over. Jerry Brown is blaming the people, saying....You new I couldn't fix the problem when you voted for me. I only ran for historicle purposes. Oh brother we are all in trouble. This aint never gonna end. I see civil unrest comming big time.
Raydot

California City, CA

#3572 May 25, 2012
well then fck topix

Since: Sep 08

#3574 May 26, 2012
mexica wrote:
THE MEXICAN PROBLEM
We mexicans are fed up with the constant accusations of all bigots that use the economy downturn as an excuse to target Mexicans. Always in desperate times you all point to an outside source. When the majority of times is your own greedy and corrupted official and politician that shit on your country's economy for self-interest or incompetence. Just look at the recent tremendous loss of Chase bank or the past scandals of ENRON. Is that Mexicans to blame? How about the welfare "bail outs" given to American corporations. Is that Mexicans to blame? How about the (white american) poor people of the South region that are nearly 40% of all welfare recipients. Is that Mexicans to blame? American Corporation that take away jobs and move overseas to increase their profit. Is that Mexicans to blame?? Manipulated oil prices for record gas revenues. Is that Mexicans to blame? War. Is that Mexicans to blame?....once you fix all these problems maybe I could understand your problem fixated on Mexicans.
Lets all be honest..... Is 17% of "Hispanics" (not all mexicans) taking welfare the only problem of this country economical downturn? Either you're ignorant or a bigot focusing on the weakest, easiest thing to blame or both! This is why your politicians aren't as fixated on immigration as much bigots would want because immigrants by majority come to work, most will go back as soon as they can't support themselves. Many are deported yearly under immigration laws. The ones that stay contribute to the economy by buying houses, opening business and doing odd jobs that employers can't find Americans to do, either Americans don't want to do or simply there aren't any, specially in Southern California. There are a few bad apples don't get me wrong, just like the east coast had their share of bad apples with recent poor, uneducated immigrants (Italian, Jews, Irish, etc) that migrated early in the 1900's dealing with high crime rates (organize crime), poverty and low standards of living. It's not a Mexican problem people. The difference is that Mexicans are the recent immigrants that are easily identify and targeted, no different than the recent poor and uneducated European immigrants from the early 1900's.
Don't be blinded by ignorance or fool by bigots that state it's a "Mexican problem". Stop relating your countries problems to Mexicans alone. Is not as if all Mexicans are lazy on welfare. The Majority are responsible and contribute to the economy, and also pay taxes! Talents in sports and big/small tv are easily visible. Mexican contribution in armed forces are huge. I'll give you a bit more respect by showing your true nature of a bigot, instead of justifying your hate by ranting false accusations.
-GC
Gloop.

Since: Nov 10

Novato, CA

#3575 May 26, 2012
mexica wrote:
THE MEXICAN PROBLEM
Just look at the recent tremendous loss of Chase bank or the past scandals of ENRON. Is that Mexicans to blame? How about the welfare "bail outs" given to American corporations. Is that Mexicans to blame? How about the (white american) poor people of the South region that are nearly 40% of all welfare recipients. Is that Mexicans to blame? American Corporation that take away jobs and move overseas to increase their profit. Is that Mexicans to blame?? Manipulated oil prices for record gas revenues. Is that Mexicans to blame? War. Is that Mexicans to blame?
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!! As a matter of fact, they're ALSO to blame for the McRib sandwich at McDonalds being some kind of weird seasonal item, instead of a regular menu whatchamacallit!! A McRib sandwich at McDonalds, Mmmmmmm...

Novato, CA

#3576 May 26, 2012
RICKY RAT wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!! As a matter of fact, they're ALSO to blame for the McRib sandwich at McDonalds being some kind of weird seasonal item, instead of a regular menu whatchamacallit!! A McRib sandwich at McDonalds, Mmmmmmm...
I usually scrounge em out of the dumpster there. See, what I do is I call in for a dozen McRibs for pick up. Then, when no one ever shows up to get em, they just throw em out back. Wait. No, that's what I do for PIZZA...

Novato, CA

#3577 May 26, 2012
They'll have to pry RICKY RATS' free, single-use carryout bag from his cold, dead paws.

Novato, CA

#3578 May 26, 2012
RICKY RAT wrote:
They'll have to pry RICKY RATS' free, single-use carryout bag from his cold, dead paws.
Unless they outlaw them. Then, RICKY RAT'LL do what everyone else does. Probably carry one of those earth friendly bags with him everywhere he goes...

Novato, CA

#3579 May 26, 2012
RICKY RAT hasn't really been following this story. Why, exactly, are the trying to ban plastic bags? Is there some kind of shortage of plastic? Well, if there is, as long as we got enough for the next forty years, we're OK. Because that's about when RICKY RAT thinks he'll be meeting the Big Rodent in the Sky. Fifty, tops...

Novato, CA

#3580 May 26, 2012
THEY.

Novato, CA

#3581 May 26, 2012
RICKY RAT wrote:
Fifty, tops...
Fifty, and I could have Willard Scott announce my birthday on the Today Show...

Novato, CA

#3582 May 26, 2012
Old age is the Great Equalizer. I don't care how FANTASTICALLY BEAUTIFUL you are today, if you make it to a hundred, you'll be just like everyone else that age. Grey and shrivelled up.

Novato, CA

#3583 May 26, 2012
You ever been to one of those nursing homes? There aint no BEAUTIFUL PEOPLES' section...

United States

#3584 May 26, 2012
I crack myself up. But, I'm easily crackable.
Dr_Zorderz

San Anselmo, CA

#3585 May 26, 2012
I used to crack you up Ricky didn't I?

I don't want to be a thread killer. You seem to be on a roll here.

Bye bye

Carryon as it were.

United States

#3586 May 26, 2012
Dr_Zorderz wrote:
I used to crack you up Ricky didn't I?
I don't want to be a thread killer. You seem to be on a roll here.
Bye bye
Carryon as it were.
Carry on my wayward son, there'll be somethingorother when mumble mumble are done...

Dallas, TX

#3587 May 26, 2012
RICKY RAT wrote:
<quoted text>Carry on my wayward son, there'll be somethingorother when mumble mumble are done...
Can you name this tune??? I can give you some more hints if you need em...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 50 min GOP vagina probe 200,653
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr Little Ricky 15,973
Will Eric Schmidt Destroy Google? 17 hr Awesome 27
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... 17 hr Awesome 30
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Mon punch tips 7,935
Download Viber Messages Monitoring Application ... Mon jackydenny 1
MV firefighters help battle NorCal wildfires Sun desireeforseth 1
•••
•••
•••

Spring Valley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••