First Prev
of 240
Next Last
Beau

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Jul 12, 2006
My wife and I have been living in Kuwait for about the last six years now. We're both Americans born and bred (I was born in Texas, my wife in PA). We came over here to Kuwait for government contracting jobs back in 2000, before Sept. 11th. Since then, as you can imagine, things picked up quite a bit and I've had the chance to travel to Afghanistan, Iraq, and Africa, not to mention most of the local ME (Middle East) spots (Bahrain, Qatar, Fujara, Dubai, etc.). Well, we're thinking that it's about time to get out of this desert and return home. The only question now is where we might want to live. We've been thinking about TN for its beautiful GREEN scenery (desert brown sucks!) and for its lack of state taxes. Could anyone out there give me any other reasons to move to TN? Or maybe an insight into the mindset of her people? Thanks, I appreciate any assistance.
Concerned resident

Thorn Hill, TN

#2 Jul 12, 2006
Beau wrote:
My wife and I have been living in Kuwait for about the last six years now. We're both Americans born and bred (I was born in Texas, my wife in PA). We came over here to Kuwait for government contracting jobs back in 2000, before Sept. 11th. Since then, as you can imagine, things picked up quite a bit and I've had the chance to travel to Afghanistan, Iraq, and Africa, not to mention most of the local ME (Middle East) spots (Bahrain, Qatar, Fujara, Dubai, etc.). Well, we're thinking that it's about time to get out of this desert and return home. The only question now is where we might want to live. We've been thinking about TN for its beautiful GREEN scenery (desert brown sucks!) and for its lack of state taxes. Could anyone out there give me any other reasons to move to TN? Or maybe an insight into the mindset of her people? Thanks, I appreciate any assistance.
When I retired, I chose Tennessee because there was no state income taxes. However sales taxes are high and food and medicine are taxed here. Property taxes were reasonable when I retired but have started up in recent years.

I love the mountains, so I chose a small mountain town for retirement. I have never regretted my decision, though things are beginning to change.

You do not mention whether you have children and if so their ages. This would be a consideration in choosing a location.

I love the friendliness, independence and self-reliance of my neighbors. There are drawbacks. To get a feel for the mind-set of the rural mountain people, read some of the topics on the Mountain City, TN forums. I can not speak to the more populated areas.sed by the local farmers.

I hope this has been helpful to you.
Concerned resident

Thorn Hill, TN

#3 Jul 12, 2006
Sorry, That last sentence shuld be ignored. It was truncated for some reason.

I spoke about terrorism, and my belief that this area would be one of the last to be considered. However, we do have a National Armory here, built in recent years. I also spoke about your knowledge regarding terrorism due to your travels.

We are beginning to get some immigrants. Uertain whether they are legal or illegal from Mexico. They are used by the local farmers.
Beau

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#4 Jul 12, 2006
Thanks "Concerned". We don't have any children living at home (we have 3, but they are all grown). We are primarily looking for a peaceful place to have 25-30 acres around us and enjoy each other's company. We're pretty much homebodies who keep to ourselves, so we would be looking for a rural area. I'll check out the Mountain City forums also, thanks again for your time.
Beau

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#5 Jul 12, 2006
Sorry this is out of order... my above reply was to your first reply, this one is to your second... I guess my webpage hadn't reloaded. I'm not sure what I missed in the terrorism part of your email, but yes, it will be great to get back home where I don't have to look over my shoulder all the time wondering which of the bearded men around me is packing C4. Although it's not that bad here in Kuwait, you definately have to keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel in Iraq and Afghanistan. The feeling people speak of about a "weight off my shoulders" is truly palpable every time I come home on vacation, you get so used to it over here that you don't notice the stress until you're away from it.

BTW, I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but my wife and I are both government contractors (although you probably figured that out). Thank again.
INDIGOGIRL

Nashville, TN

#6 Jul 12, 2006
i live in nashville . i have lived here for about 7 years. i lived in memphis for 25 years. i enjoy visiting there quite often.people in the south are different than any other place . it is extremely conservative and i think still quite racially divided. of course the big cities are more diverse but not very open minded.it is beautiful up in east tenn--say cades cove--maryville or friendsville. not very expensive for land unless you are on lake side or mountaintop view.taxes are really high but i think cost of living is more reasonable.its a beautiful place but not diverse enough for me really.alot of dry counties and a church on every corner.if you just want to hang out on your own land that could be pretty cool
Summer

Franklin, TN

#7 Jul 12, 2006
Our families moved here from Virginia. I was born in Florida, raised there and Texas and then lived in Italy before moving to Virginia. My husband is a native Texan. We have been here a few months, from Williamsburg, VA. The weather is very similar to Texas with the great winds, sudden storms that come rolling in, hot days and cool nights. The people here are wonderful. It is the most friendly place we have ever lived, and it is more than affordable in comparison to most larger cities.
Leann

Portland, OR

#8 Jul 12, 2006
I was born and raised in Wartburg, TN. I have travelled some since I had turned 18, and their is nothing like home. Tennesse is in my opinion the best place to live. I don't know much about people in the cities here because I have always been in the country part of TN. But, I can tell you that most everyone in the small towns here are wonderful. And as you know we have some of the most beautiful scenery (thats just my opinion.) I encourage you to at least try living here; if you are like most people, you will love it. I know of several people that have moved here from different states across the country and they love it.
Leann

Portland, OR

#9 Jul 12, 2006
If would like to buy a few acres, maby just for a get-away place, my husband and I have 5.10 acres for sell in Wilder, TN. It's on the mountain, with beautiful views. It is about 30 min.-1 hour from Livingston, Jamestown, Cookeville, and Crossville; it's kinda in the middle of all those cities. It would be a nice place to be able to get away from civilization when need be.
Twinkletoes

AOL

#10 Jul 12, 2006
Western part of TN is hot and humid in the summer, winter is sporatic with cold, warm and rain, perhaps all in the same day. Sales tax is high and there is no personal income tax, EXCEPT if you have investments in another state and you will pay a Hall tax on that.Politics is a real issue in TN, lots of it, especially in small towns. Education is good in most parts. You make the decision. I prefer to be away from Tn as much as possible.
Concerned resident

Thorn Hill, TN

#11 Jul 12, 2006
Beau wrote:
Thanks "Concerned". We don't have any children living at home (we have 3, but they are all grown). We are primarily looking for a peaceful place to have 25-30 acres around us and enjoy each other's company. We're pretty much homebodies who keep to ourselves, so we would be looking for a rural area. I'll check out the Mountain City forums also, thanks again for your time.
Mountain City is primarily a farming community. Valley land is more expensive than mountain land.
I bought 60 acres of mountain land mostly for the privacy for a reasonable price. Most is wooded and I have nice views.

I enjoy my own company and love to garden, read, and play on the computer. Not necessarily in that order. At the moment the forums are pushing candidates for the coming election in August. We have our share of red-necks and bigots, but generally the people are friendly, kind and helpful. We are in the bible belt and Mountain City is in Johnson County which is dry.

Boone NC is 18 miles away and Virginia is 30 minutes away. Larger cities nearby are Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City. All about an hour away. Many people here shop in Boone or Virginia where sales tax is better. Closest major airport is Tri-City which serves the three larger towns. Mountain City has a small airport with plans to increase the runway to allow corporate jets to come in. There is a new planned development of 2700 homes on nearby Doe Mountain. These homes are supposed to be quite large and the rural ambiance maintained. Developer is New Horizons. Currently, Johnson County has about 16000 residents, and Mountain City is the county sear.
KY Lover

Auburn Hills, MI

#12 Jul 12, 2006
I think Tennessee basically sucks and that goes triple for West Tennessee.
Open-Minded

AOL

#13 Jul 12, 2006
Upper east Tennessee is ok if you are in a city such as Kingsport or Johnson City. The small towns here are corrupt and I cannot state that fact firmly enough.
Thommy-T

AOL

#14 Jul 12, 2006
I have visited Tn many times, I looked at houses and almost bought one in the Dayton area. I picked Dayton because it was near enough to Knoxville and Chatanooga but not too close. I like the area, having been born and raised in New England, it has similar terrain and warmer winters. The storms, I did not care for. Houses are almost as much as in New England and taxes are getting up there! Just my observation.
Terry in Tn

Chattanooga, TN

#15 Jul 12, 2006
Concerned resident wrote:
<quoted text >When I retired, I chose Tennessee because there was no state income taxes. However sales taxes are high and food and medicine are taxed here. Property taxes were reasonable when I retired but have started up in recent years.
I love the mountains, so I chose a small mountain town for retirement. I have never regretted my decision, though things are beginning to change.
You do not mention whether you have children and if so their ages. This would be a consideration in choosing a location.
I love the friendliness, independence and self-reliance of my neighbors. There are drawbacks. To get a feel for the mind-set of the rural mountain people, read some of the topics on the Mountain City, TN forums. I can not speak to the more populated areas.sed by the local farmers.
I hope this has been helpful to you.
I live in Dunlap Tn moved here from Katrina origanally im from houston..the veiw is nice but the pay sucks
Billy Pugh

Smyrna, TN

#16 Jul 12, 2006
Born and raised here but I have traveled well. West TN is tornado alley and parts of southern Middle TN too. There are parts of TN that are still unknown commodities like the area near Sargeant Yorks hometown of Jamestown in the extreme eastern part of middle TN and the Big South Fork National Park is like the grand canyon with trees, truly spectacular.

We have three noticable terrains here. The Mountains of the east, the rolling hills of the middle (complete with large caves for exploring and fabulous water falls). West TN is flat but has some of the finest farm land a man could want to own. If you like gardens anywhere in TN is a great place to have one.

If you like music, virtually everyone you meet may be a real musician who can sing or play from dusk till dawn. There are so many musicians here that almost no one would believe it. I suggest the Cookeville area in middle TN for living a wonderful life. It has several state parks nearby with breathtaking beauty. Davy Crockett song on Disney was right :
"Greenest land in the land of the free"!
Agreeable

United States

#17 Jul 12, 2006
Billy Pugh wrote:
Born and raised here but I have traveled well. West TN is tornado alley and parts of southern Middle TN too. There are parts of TN that are still unknown commodities like the area near Sargeant Yorks hometown of Jamestown in the extreme eastern part of middle TN and the Big South Fork National Park is like the grand canyon with trees, truly spectacular.
We have three noticable terrains here. The Mountains of the east, the rolling hills of the middle (complete with large caves for exploring and fabulous water falls). West TN is flat but has some of the finest farm land a man could want to own. If you like gardens anywhere in TN is a great place to have one.
If you like music, virtually everyone you meet may be a real musician who can sing or play from dusk till dawn. There are so many musicians here that almost no one would believe it. I suggest the Cookeville area in middle TN for living a wonderful life. It has several state parks nearby with breathtaking beauty. Davy Crockett song on Disney was right :
"Greenest land in the land of the free"!
AMEN AMEN on the Jamestown area view being "truly spectacular", I am from a beautiful area in KY (where food is not taxed..yipee) and went to Jamestown recently and was just in awe of its beauty...of course the beauty started in KY and leaked down into TN...just kidding...Dale Hollow Lake is a beautiful beautiful area.
Agreeable

United States

#18 Jul 12, 2006
"Extreme eastern part of middle TN...hmmm..." strange... but descriptive nonetheless
Agreeable

United States

#19 Jul 12, 2006
I am from Bowling Green, KY and on my other computer, I am posted as from Owensboro, KY but this is reporting Orlando...strange...one uses Internet Explorer and this one uses Mozilla Firefox...does that have anything to do withh it? anyone know?
Intrepid

Dover, DE

#20 Jul 12, 2006
My husband and I have bought land in beautiful eastern TN and we look forward to moving there in a couple of years. I'm a southern gal (from Louisiana) and I absolutely LOVE TN. I've had 6 of my friends already "beat" me in the move to TN and they all love it. I suppose it's what you want and what you are used to. But, I love TN and can't wait to move there. The only problem I see is that I'm a die-hard Arkansas Razorback fan. lol

By the way, I"m appreciating reading all the comments-pros and cons too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 240
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 23 min Mississippi gurl 149,708
maggie gordon Wed who knows 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) Wed ucanthandletruth 9,444
Chris Waller (Oct '10) Wed Kahy 6
go home if your from ohio Tue none 23
crystler dodge jeep of columbia Tue none 2
Stay away from Lewisburg (Jan '06) Tue none 13,160
•••
•••
•••

Spring Hill Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Spring Hill People Search