Our View: Montebello Needs a New Transparency

Jul 6, 2012 Full story: www.whittierdailynews.com 94

Excuses such as Vallejo, Stockton and now Mammoth Lakes - all bankrupt, and all worrisome examples to their sisters throughout the state.

But it takes a lot of gall for a city that has been as financially wobbly as our own Montebello has been in recent years to have council members who take it out on the public, the press and a colleague who dares question the numbers when matters still don't seem to be adding up in the latest city budget. We do hope that the theoretically balanced budget the Montebello City Council passed last month on a 4-1 vote works out to be indeed just that.

Full Story
ex montebello firefighter

Santa Ana, CA

#41 Jul 12, 2012
Trash talk wrote:
MASTER BAITING STILL??
no one is even nibbeling much less biting
The real evil is those who sat in on meetings where methods to circumvent the council on spending of public money looked the other way and did not go to the DA.
The Penn State School
Protect my job, protect my program, sorry about that people
Report it, whiner!
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

#42 Jul 12, 2012
There is Transperancy in Montebello
It's easy to see right through ex montebello firefighter
Theolona Ranger

Los Angeles, CA

#43 Jul 12, 2012
There is transparancy in Montebello
It's easy to see right through Ex Montebello firefighter
ex montebello firefighter

Santa Ana, CA

#44 Jul 12, 2012
Theolona Ranger wrote:
There is transparancy in Montebello
It's easy to see right through Ex Montebello firefighter
Are you drunk-blogging again?

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#45 Jul 13, 2012
We will have to solve Montebello's problems without the help of the corrupt and cultists of personality.

Thankfully, Montebello residents who are concerned with the problems of our city in this millennium are moving forward with actual efforts to repair the damage of the gang of three.

Embittered, willfully ignorant, corrupt cultists have nothing to contribute or help to enlighten residents.

The recent fire has shown who stands on the side of life and safety, and those who don't. Ex et al have chosen to stand on the side of the destruction of this city, for reasons not entirely clear. The smoke is now cleared, but their motives for death remain murky.
ex montebello firefighter

Santa Ana, CA

#46 Jul 13, 2012
42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
We will have to solve Montebello's problems without the help of the corrupt and cultists of personality.

Thankfully, Montebello residents who are concerned with the problems of our city in this millennium are moving forward with actual efforts to repair the damage of the gang of three.

Embittered, willfully ignorant, corrupt cultists have nothing to contribute or help to enlighten residents.

The recent fire has shown who stands on the side of life and safety, and those who don't. Ex et al have chosen to stand on the side of the destruction of this city, for reasons not entirely clear. The smoke is now cleared, but their motives for death remain murky.
Wrong again! I am not for or against the development of the hills! I will say one thing. Before one stick of wood goes up ; there will be a plan revision which entail ALL of the safety, traffic and fire protection infrastructure concerns that you have brought up to light. The person who will approve or disapprove these plans is very capable! So, as you can see, you have gotten on your soapbox based solely in your own assumptions and biases. Shocking!
Trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#47 Jul 13, 2012
Montebello has a Fire Marshal but no or little fire prevention.
"The person who will approve or disapprove these plans is very capable!"
agree however
He might not have been allowed or funded to perform this task.
The Draft EIR that was supposed to thouroughly vet these issues was just rubber stamped.

Kosmont, Breskin were "damn the torpedoes full speed ahead" on this "bucket of opportunity"
They would get a quick "fix" of funds, a star on their resumes and be long gone when the bills came due.

Time for a complete do-over.
ex montebello firefighter

Santa Ana, CA

#48 Jul 13, 2012
Trash talk wrote:
Montebello has a Fire Marshal but no or little fire prevention.
"The person who will approve or disapprove these plans is very capable!"
agree however
He might not have been allowed or funded to perform this task.
The Draft EIR that was supposed to thouroughly vet these issues was just rubber stamped.

Kosmont, Breskin were "damn the torpedoes full speed ahead" on this "bucket of opportunity"
They would get a quick "fix" of funds, a star on their resumes and be long gone when the bills came due.

Time for a complete do-over.
The Fire Marshall is not for sale! Unlike you flunkies! In more than one occasion we faced death together, he is a stand-up guy, not like you cowards!

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#49 Jul 13, 2012
Trash talk wrote:
Montebello has a Fire Marshal but no or little fire prevention.
"The person who will approve or disapprove these plans is very capable!"
agree however
He might not have been allowed or funded to perform this task.
The Draft EIR that was supposed to thouroughly vet these issues was just rubber stamped.
Kosmont, Breskin were "damn the torpedoes full speed ahead" on this "bucket of opportunity"
They would get a quick "fix" of funds, a star on their resumes and be long gone when the bills came due.
Time for a complete do-over.
The 'very capable' person allegedly (by Cook-Hill) said that it wasn't necessary to have either a modern fire prevention plan or an emergency evacuation plan until the proposed condo project was built. He allegedly signed off on CH's minimal fire plan using a model that specifically said that it was not intended for residential use, but only was intended for use in forest conservation.

Did anyone else notice the developer's spokesman use the term 'acceptable losses' in connection with their minimal fire prevention plan? I wonder how many homes burned the developer considers acceptable? In forest conservation, 40% destruction is considered acceptable. Is CH using this part of the model, too?

I say allegedly, because only Cook-Hill kept any records pertaining to discussion of fire issues pertaining to the proposed development. The MFD apparently has none.
ex montebello firefighter

Santa Ana, CA

#50 Jul 13, 2012
42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
<quoted text>The 'very capable' person allegedly (by Cook-Hill) said that it wasn't necessary to have either a modern fire prevention plan or an emergency evacuation plan until the proposed condo project was built. He allegedly signed off on CH's minimal fire plan using a model that specifically said that it was not intended for residential use, but only was intended for use in forest conservation.

Did anyone else notice the developer's spokesman use the term 'acceptable losses' in connection with their minimal fire prevention plan? I wonder how many homes burned the developer considers acceptable? In forest conservation, 40% destruction is considered acceptable. Is CH using this part of the model, too?

I say allegedly, because only Cook-Hill kept any records pertaining to discussion of fire issues pertaining to the proposed development. The MFD apparently has none.
Like I said earlier, not one stick of lumber will go up until a comprehensive study of the plans. Once again, I have no first-knowledge of these dealings.... Nor, do I want to. Just speaking about the process.
Trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#51 Jul 13, 2012
There was a comprehensive stucy of the plans by the former chief and his fie marshal who signed off on them (maybe under pressure.)
The councilpersons supported by the union did not care about fire safety.
So Cut the BS
Let's see the comprehensive study first , maybe independent, first- vote later.
Are we going to insist on gravity fed water system.
Back up generators for any pumps including those down by the river?
replacement of non ductile cast iron and cement/ asbestos (transite) piping?
Enough storage/ pipe capacity to feed more than one condo at a time sprinklers?
Access from the south for the FD
Removal of all the highly inflamable non-native plants/ trees?
Replacement of 4" mains feeding hydrants?
ex montebello firefighter

Santa Ana, CA

#52 Jul 13, 2012
Trash talk wrote:
There was a comprehensive stucy of the plans by the former chief and his fie marshal who signed off on them (maybe under pressure.)
The councilpersons supported by the union did not care about fire safety.
So Cut the BS
Let's see the comprehensive study first , maybe independent, first- vote later.
Are we going to insist on gravity fed water system.
Back up generators for any pumps including those down by the river?
replacement of non ductile cast iron and cement/ asbestos (transite) piping?
Enough storage/ pipe capacity to feed more than one condo at a time sprinklers?
Access from the south for the FD
Removal of all the highly inflamable non-native plants/ trees?
Replacement of 4" mains feeding hydrants?
Bring it up to the Fire Marshal... I can put you in contact with him... Those are valid concerns that must be addressed!

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#53 Jul 13, 2012
ex montebello firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Bring it up to the Fire Marshal... I can put you in contact with him... Those are valid concerns that must be addressed!
As stated above, he was allegedly the one who told CH that there was no need for a comprehensive fire plan until the condos were built. He was also the Montebello representative who signed off on the uncompleted clean up from last oil spill into the Rio Hondo River.

He may be capable and professional, but his record regarding the Hills, PXP, and CH is open to interpretation.
ex montebello firefighter

Monrovia, CA

#54 Jul 13, 2012
42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
<quoted text>As stated above, he was allegedly the one who told CH that there was no need for a comprehensive fire plan until the condos were built. He was also the Montebello representative who signed off on the uncompleted clean up from last oil spill into the Rio Hondo River.

He may be capable and professional, but his record regarding the Hills, PXP, and CH is open to interpretation.
Sounds like he should be in a citizen's committee to perhaps reach a middle ground in this matter...

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#55 Jul 13, 2012
ex montebello firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like he should be in a citizen's committee to perhaps reach a middle ground in this matter...
With about 3445 against building condos in the Hills, and only 55 in favor (out of the approximate 3500 I have surveyed on the last 6 years), the middle ground among citizens is not to build. Thanks for standing up for the wants and needs of the people of Montebello.
ex montebello firefighter

Monrovia, CA

#56 Jul 13, 2012
42 yr North Mtb resident wrote:
<quoted text>With about 3445 against building condos in the Hills, and only 55 in favor (out of the approximate 3500 I have surveyed on the last 6 years), the middle ground among citizens is not to build. Thanks for standing up for the wants and needs of the people of Montebello.
Welcome, I always have...
Sen Bob Huff

Los Angeles, CA

#57 Jul 24, 2012
Minority leaders newsletter

Opponents Sink Bond Reform Legislation

Legislation designed to protect taxpayer funds from waste and misuse has been defeated in the Assembly Business and Professions Committee.
SB 633 sought to strengthen oversight and accountability for bond funds through audits that are currently conducted by the California Department of Finance (DOF).

If these audits reveal that a state agency has improperly spent bond revenue, the DOF issues a “corrective action plan.” SB 633 would have strengthened oversight by creating consequences for agencies that fail to comply with the corrective action plan.

Specifically, SB 633 would have given DOF additional authority to issue “cease and desist” orders to halt the spending of bond funds until the corrective action plan is implemented.

The Legislature has no controls or statutes in place that enforce corrective action for the misuse of bond funding.
Sound policy demands consequences for unlawful activity, especially where taxpayer dollars are involved

California spends billions upon billions in bond funding and taxpayers have an expectation that this money should be spent on projects that voters approved, not wasted on perks like cars, dining or airport red carpet memberships.
Wonder Why

United States

#58 Jul 25, 2012
ex montebello firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said earlier, not one stick of lumber will go up until a comprehensive study of the plans. Once again, I have no first-knowledge of these dealings.... Nor, do I want to. Just speaking about the process.
Sadly and unfortunately, during the preparation of the Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) on the the proposed Montebello Hills development, the city's own emails confirm that city staffs' legitimate concerns were often ignored or overridden by the company that prepared the DEIR. Pressure from the then Mayor & City Council Majority was probably behind that. Perhaps that also explains the absence of a fire safety plan in the DEIR. Still, it does seem that PXP has consistently not been taken to task by the local fire department re: fire safety concerns in and around the Montebello Hills oil field. Hopefully our current Fire Department Chief can change that.
ex montebello firefighter

Monrovia, CA

#59 Jul 25, 2012
Wonder Why wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly and unfortunately, during the preparation of the Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) on the the proposed Montebello Hills development, the city's own emails confirm that city staffs' legitimate concerns were often ignored or overridden by the company that prepared the DEIR. Pressure from the then Mayor & City Council Majority was probably behind that. Perhaps that also explains the absence of a fire safety plan in the DEIR. Still, it does seem that PXP has consistently not been taken to task by the local fire department re: fire safety concerns in and around the Montebello Hills oil field. Hopefully our current Fire Department Chief can change that.
Let's hope so... I would hate to see politics take priority over public safety...
Trash Talk

Los Angeles, CA

#60 Jul 25, 2012
EX
Long term planning
Tanks
One tank in topanga canyon had been recently been sesimically retrofitted by welding on L shaped hold downs.
The new hold downs riped out tearing holes in the tank. All the water drained into the wash.
In another tank it was slosh that deformed the top wall of that tank rupturing a seam,
The 2008 building code added a new seismic requirement for long term ground motion- which affects tanks.
I would say that all of Montebello's tanks are vulnerable.
And expected ground motion along the river in Whittier Narrows is much worse than in Topanga Canyon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South El Monte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 min Adds up 200,938
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 28 min Fight On 27,365
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr THCCBN 15,994
1 dead, 1 injured in El Monte shooting 3 hr emf 4
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 3 hr lollypop 5,068
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 4 hr Serpico 2,389
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 4 hr Davis 4,983
•••

Fire Warning for Los Angeles County was issued at September 16 at 1:51PM PDT

•••

South El Monte News Video

•••
•••

South El Monte Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

South El Monte People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

South El Monte News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South El Monte
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••