Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,115

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#79838 Jun 6, 2012
trusted wrote:
boy you guys are just too smart for me . you all go far above this simple minded me. But I do so love reading all of it though.
There are some very intelligent people on this forum.
And well...a few not so bright.

I'll leave it to you to sort them out.
;)
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#79839 Jun 6, 2012
A man in his 40's bought a new BMW and was out on the interstate for a nice evening drive. The top was down, the breeze was blowing through what was left of his hair, and he decided to open her up. As the needle jumped up to 80 mph, he suddenly saw flashing red and blue lights behind him. "There's no way they can catch a BMW," he thought to himself and opened her up further. The needle hit 90, 100...then the reality of the situation hit him. "What the heck am I doing?" he thought and pulled over.
The cop came up to him, took his license without a word, and examined it and the car. "It's been a long day, this is the end of my shift, and it's Friday the 13th. I don't feel like more paperwork, so if you can give me an excuse for your driving that I haven't heard before, you can go." The guy thinks for a second and says, "Last week my wife ran off with a cop. I was afraid you were trying to give her back." "Have a nice weekend," said the officer.
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#79840 Jun 6, 2012
Atheist wrote:
This is old, but it still upsets me.
I'm not too far out of high school.
I'm in college on a full scholarship.
I volunteer time at a nursing home, soup kitchen, and cleaning the highways. I have for a few years now, started volunteering at the hospital at 15, lead my to my desire to practice medicine.
I am an atheist. I do not steal, I volunteer my time, I avoid hate. I tend to be a better Christian than most Christians.
I would not want to see the bible pushed on students. It's a parent's job to reach their kids faith. If my kids want to go to church, they can.
My parents never forced it on me. I think I turned out alright.
The world is about being a better person, not shoving your believes down other's throats.
Just something to ponder on.

You are on a wonderful track, so many could do the same.
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#79841 Jun 6, 2012
A small chuckle
An artist asked the gallery owner if there had been any interest in his paintings currently on display. "I've got good news and bad news," the owner replied. "The good news is that a gentleman inquired about your work and wondered if it would appreciate in value after your death. When I told him it would, he bought all fifteen of your paintings."
"That's wonderful!" the artist exclaimed, "What's the bad news?"

With concern, the gallery owner replied, "The guy was your doctor."
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#79842 Jun 6, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some very intelligent people on this forum.
And well...a few not so bright.
I'll leave it to you to sort them out.
;)
Are you kidding me , that would take the rest of all of our lifes. Got to much to do in the mean time. Just will take it with a pinch of salt. Maybe healing, maybe stinging???
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#79843 Jun 6, 2012
A four year old was at the pediatrician for a check up. As the doctor looked down her ears with an otoscope, he asked, "Do you think I'll find Big Bird in here?" The little girl stayed silent. Next, the doctor took a tongue depressor and looked down her throat. He asked, "Do you think I'll find the Cookie Monster down there?" Again, the little girl was silent. Then the doctor put a stethoscope to her chest. As he listened to her heart beat, he asked, "Do you think I'll hear Barney in there?" "Oh, no!" the little girl replied. "Jesus is in my heart. Barney's on my underpants."
Night yall

Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79844 Jun 7, 2012
Lordy wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dear Sir, That was fabulous! Hands down, Fabulous. I don't think Christopher Hitchens or Samual Harris could of said it more thorough.
Christopher Hitchens knows the truth now!
God is REAL!
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79845 Jun 7, 2012
trusted wrote:
A four year old was at the pediatrician for a check up. As the doctor looked down her ears with an otoscope, he asked, "Do you think I'll find Big Bird in here?" The little girl stayed silent. Next, the doctor took a tongue depressor and looked down her throat. He asked, "Do you think I'll find the Cookie Monster down there?" Again, the little girl was silent. Then the doctor put a stethoscope to her chest. As he listened to her heart beat, he asked, "Do you think I'll hear Barney in there?" "Oh, no!" the little girl replied. "Jesus is in my heart. Barney's on my underpants."
Night yall
That's cute!
:-) Thanks...
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79846 Jun 7, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold the phone...
Did you just suggest that a Christian, just prior to a terrible accident, will be "taken" and spared the trauma? What evidence would you cite to support such a hypothesis?
If that is what you're suggesting it is both insane and deeply disturbing at the same time. Do Christians really want non-Christians to suffer? It's amazing. First we get Hell and as if that's not enough we're the only ones who have to feel pain at death??
lol, that's some effed up shite.
No!
I'm not saying that at all!
I am saying that None of us knows when it's coming, but it WILL come!
Some of us will not feel it, in the story She did not!
The point so offten missed is...
You do NOT have to be in Hell!
Not now under sin, or later after the judgement!
John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
Very clear here...
If you want to believe you came from a monkey... so be it!
It's your choice, but I hope you ponder it!
Have a great day!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#79847 Jun 7, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No!
I'm not saying that at all!
I am saying that None of us knows when it's coming, but it WILL come!
Some of us will not feel it, in the story She did not!
The point so offten missed is...
You do NOT have to be in Hell!
Not now under sin, or later after the judgement!
John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
Very clear here...
Have a great day!
But you DID actually say that in your example the girl was taken just before impact. That was your suggestion. I'm asking for evidence to support such an idea.

At the risk of talking to a wall, no one believes humans "came from a monkey". That is a strawman argument that Creationists continue to use because it sounds funny when you say it.

Humans evolved from an ancestor common to both monkeys and humans. DNA, fossils, morphology...these and other lines of evidence are very clear. Reality is not interested in belief, just evidence.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#79848 Jun 7, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Christopher Hitchens knows the truth now!
God is REAL!
It is this type of thing that is kind of disgusting about religious zealotry. There is some kind of built-in celebration of suffering in the whole affair. Some Christians seem to get off on the idea of people being tortured.
sad but true

Columbus, NC

#79849 Jun 7, 2012
Yiago wrote:

But you DID actually say that in your example the girl was taken just before impact. That was your suggestion. I'm asking for evidence to support such an idea.

Good luck with that one ...my guess is you'll be labeled as a baby killer
juggalo

Columbus, NC

#79850 Jun 7, 2012
That sad but true post was me ...my touch screen is acting up ..

Meant to say " Good luck with that one ...my guess is you'll be labeled as a baby killer..sad but true "

“There's more than one religion”

Level 2

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#79851 Jun 7, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
At the risk of talking to a wall, no one believes humans "came from a monkey". That is a strawman argument that Creationists continue to use because it sounds funny when you say it.
Humans evolved from an ancestor common to both monkeys and humans. DNA, fossils, morphology...these and other lines of evidence are very clear. Reality is not interested in belief, just evidence.
You ever find it funny that radical fundamentalists get upset at the suggestion they came from intelligent hominids, but are completely happy with the suggestion they came from dirt?

I know I do. They are the first to say that another belief system's "magic" doesn't exist, but then completely rely on "magic" to explain their own existence.

Level 2

Location hidden

#79852 Jun 7, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yoou are free to think, or Believe anything you want!
Incase you missed this...
It seem most Minority pastors feel this way to!
“Sodomy is not a civil right.”
I'm proud to say these words were spoken by Virginia Delegate Bob Marshall on national media following a critical victory for the Family and Public Advocate.
You see, last week pro-Family activists derailed a plot to set up a radical homosexual as judge in Virginia.
Speaker Bill Howell and other members of the Republican controlled House tried to appease the Homosexual Lobby by allowing this nomination to go forward unopposed.
Thankfully Bob Marshall alerted my office in time for me to rally Public Advocate’s Virginia supporters.
“Sodomy is not a civil right.”
Remember these words, as Perversion is NOT a 14th ammendment Right!
If it was... Sandusky should get off scott free!
Seems you would let people believe what they want, so long as it is in agreement with you.
Where does the notion of "sodomy" come from (which incidentally many straight people practice)? Yep, religion. Where does the prohibition come from? Yep, religion. Where does your belief it is wrong come from? Yep, again religion.
According to your own desire to push your religion under the guise of "freedom of religion", if a religious sect adopted sodomy as a sanctioned expression of their religion, they should be protected to do such. Thus, it WOULD be a civil right to practice their religion as they see fit. It doesn't matter if the beliefs of that sect are widely accepted so long as they are sincerely held.
Tolerance is giving EVERY other single living person the EXACT same rights you claim for yourself.
Oh, and incidentally, I saw the best poster the other day: "If abortion of a fetus is murder, then a BJ is cannabalism".(I know that will send YAA off in a tizzy - but I am just in a good mood).

“Memento mori”

Level 1

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#79853 Jun 7, 2012
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems you would let people believe what they want, so long as it is in agreement with you.
Where does the notion of "sodomy" come from (which incidentally many straight people practice)? Yep, religion. Where does the prohibition come from? Yep, religion. Where does your belief it is wrong come from? Yep, again religion.
It's funny how upset religious people get over sex. I've noticed they'll try to support their arguments with sex. "The world is going to hell and it's because gay people are having sex!" "All of these abortions are happening because people don't know how to keep their pants on before marriage!" YAA is no exception when it comes to this of course. He's always thinking about sex and how it's ruining every aspect of our culture.

I heard someone say this before and I agree with it: if it weren't for sex and the rules they set for it, most religions would die.

Level 2

Location hidden

#79854 Jun 7, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny how upset religious people get over sex. I've noticed they'll try to support their arguments with sex. "The world is going to hell and it's because gay people are having sex!" "All of these abortions are happening because people don't know how to keep their pants on before marriage!" YAA is no exception when it comes to this of course. He's always thinking about sex and how it's ruining every aspect of our culture.
I heard someone say this before and I agree with it: if it weren't for sex and the rules they set for it, most religions would die.
Oh I completely agree! I venture to say that YAA thinks more about the sex lives of his gay neighbors than they ever think about his. Yet he wants to call them the perverts.

Of course religions want to control sex. It is one common characteristic among "most" people. With very few exceptions, people want to have it - whether male, female, black, white, etc. Thus, religions make it evil or restrict it in order to keep people needing some 'absolution' all the while knowing that they people are going to want it again within another few days. Finally they make rules to limit sex for reproduction among those reproducing followers - just to boost their numbers and keep their religion alive.

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

central Florida

#79855 Jun 7, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Christopher Hitchens knows the truth now!
God is REAL!
Just so you know... As soon as we all find out that YOU have died, we are all going to be saying, "Yaa knows the truth now! God is NOT REAL!"

You would be disappointed, but you'll be dead and not thinking.

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

central Florida

#79856 Jun 7, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No!
Have a great day!
You have a great day too, monkeyboy.
Atheist

United States

#79857 Jun 7, 2012
I would just like to say that evolution does NOT say we come from monkies.
We have a common ancestor.
You should read Darwin sometime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 34 min IND 7,391
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr butthead 1,073
Somerset mayor, Keck or Girdler? 2 hr wage earner 44
ky biker gangs (Sep '08) 3 hr son of the rebellion 26
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 4 hr Hatti_Hollerand 10,332
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 5 hr Hatti_Hollerand 21,211
Sully's 5 hr News 19
County Judge-Exec Tue Marine 135
Somerset Dating
Find my Match