Poll: Young people say online meanness pervasive

Sep 27, 2011 Full story: KSRO-AM Santa Rosa 113

Catherine Devine had her first brush with an online bully in seventh grade, before she'd even ventured onto the Internet.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Curtis Lowe

San Antonio, TX

#1 Sep 27, 2011
People are naturally mean and selfish. The only reason they are cordial in public is to prevent losing teeth.

“Historic American President”

Since: Jun 07

Immigration Reformed!

#3 Sep 27, 2011
For the most part the biggest cowards feel free to express online what they would never, and I mean never say out in public. These forums give a lot of pathetic individuals that anonymity to harass attack, obsess and spew racist hate or bigoted rhetoric.
Itís like the story I told before about this right-wing jerk at the gym: he made an off comment remark about the President; and when I confronted him and told him that derogatory language about the President would not be tolerated around me he quickly apologized and every time I saw him for the next few weeks he would express his regret for what he said. Now if he were online with that he would have acted big and bad and probably continued spewing his hate. That is why I laugh at most of the right-wingers that obsessively post their mental disorder brought on by the frustration of seeing our Osama-killing Black President in Office because I know exactly what kind of spineless cowards they are and how they would shut their mouths and run like the wind if confronted in person over what they say on here.
Curtis Lowe

San Antonio, TX

#4 Sep 27, 2011
ID EGO SUPEREGO. Welcome to ID.
No Big Surprise

Oscoda, MI

#5 Sep 27, 2011
Children watch adult, such as Republicans conducting themselves in "bullying" behavior. Republicans telling people to throw bricks through windows at the Democrat headquarters. Another episode of that just happened this week in California. Republicans promote the bullying mentality. Adult don't think children are watching, but they do "observe".
Curtis Lowe

San Antonio, TX

#6 Sep 27, 2011
No Big Surprise wrote:
Children watch adult, such as Republicans conducting themselves in "bullying" behavior. Republicans telling people to throw bricks through windows at the Democrat headquarters. Another episode of that just happened this week in California. Republicans promote the bullying mentality. Adult don't think children are watching, but they do "observe".
Your ommission of the s from Adults is very unnerving. Are you crazy?
sue

United States

#7 Sep 27, 2011
Sometimes its the truth and people hate truth.
tom

Blooming Prairie, MN

#8 Sep 27, 2011
If someone is being mean online ignore them or leave the site they are being mean....or fight back.....If someone is being mena in person face to face....BREAK THERE JAW NECK AND SCULL!!!!!!!! Then really hurt them.
No Peoples Agenda Eh

Oscoda, MI

#9 Sep 27, 2011
Curtis Lowe wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ommission of the s from Adults is very unnerving. Are you crazy?
I'm just happy you read my comment Curtis. It's early, but at least some people in Tx are trying to read! LOL!

Since: Aug 10

Atlanta, GA

#10 Sep 27, 2011
Curtis Lowe wrote:
People are naturally mean and selfish. The only reason they are cordial in public is to prevent losing teeth.
No, they're not. They have BECOME mean and selfish because it's now considered socially acceptable. It also has to do with poor upbringing, lack of education, poor social skills and anonymity on the internet.

It's the sign of a failing society when people hate one another and can't get along. It's the beginning of social unrest and a sure sign of unhappiness among the masses.

We're a stupid bunch of people for sure. If we'd channel all that anger in the right direction we'd certainly make some changes for all of us, but selfishness stops us from becoming a cohesive group with the power to do anything beyond pull the lever in a voting booth.

We are not the UNITED State of America. We're so far from "united" we don't even know the meaning of the word. We couldn't unite long enough to agree on the color of the sky. When a nation becomes THAT fractured and has THAT many miserable people who have to take their unhappiness out on people they don't even know, then you have to take into consider the fact that our entire country is failing not just economically, but emotionally.
Selfishness Is Rampant

Oscoda, MI

#11 Sep 27, 2011
Our society is self-absorbed, "it's all about me", selfish, and totally impersonal. The more communication is done via the internet, the worse and more everyday it will become. Everything is automated, or "the Peggy syndrom". The younger generation grew up with the I-phone in their hand, and the computer in their bedroom. Taling via the internet is merely like gabbing to their friend or neighbor. Forums are nice, but some people just spew just whatever they feel, whatever they like. Too bad, sure, but it's reality today. Depends what kind of any environment you come from.
Curtis Lowe

San Antonio, TX

#12 Sep 27, 2011
tidy catz wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they're not. They have BECOME mean and selfish because it's now considered socially acceptable. It also has to do with poor upbringing, lack of education, poor social skills and anonymity on the internet.
It's the sign of a failing society when people hate one another and can't get along. It's the beginning of social unrest and a sure sign of unhappiness among the masses.
We're a stupid bunch of people for sure. If we'd channel all that anger in the right direction we'd certainly make some changes for all of us, but selfishness stops us from becoming a cohesive group with the power to do anything beyond pull the lever in a voting booth.
We are not the UNITED State of America. We're so far from "united" we don't even know the meaning of the word. We couldn't unite long enough to agree on the color of the sky. When a nation becomes THAT fractured and has THAT many miserable people who have to take their unhappiness out on people they don't even know, then you have to take into consider the fact that our entire country is failing not just economically, but emotionally.
We are among the most educated nations in the history of the world. Education will not stop hate. It just enlightens the masses that didn't realize they were being screwed for the past 50 years. That pisses them off even more. Education and enlightenment have brought us closer to the jungle. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. Nature needs to effect man for a while.
Curtis Lowe

San Antonio, TX

#13 Sep 27, 2011
No Peoples Agenda Eh wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just happy you read my comment Curtis. It's early, but at least some people in Tx are trying to read! LOL!
You pick up quite a bit of knowledge by reading beer labels and nudie mags in the trailer park.

“DEMOCRATS ARE JACKASSES”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#14 Sep 27, 2011
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
For the most part the biggest cowards feel free to express online what they would never, and I mean never say out in public. These forums give a lot of pathetic individuals that anonymity to harass attack, obsess and spew racist hate or bigoted rhetoric.
Itís like the story I told before about this right-wing jerk at the gym: he made an off comment remark about the President; and when I confronted him and told him that derogatory language about the President would not be tolerated around me he quickly apologized and every time I saw him for the next few weeks he would express his regret for what he said. Now if he were online with that he would have acted big and bad and probably continued spewing his hate. That is why I laugh at most of the right-wingers that obsessively post their mental disorder brought on by the frustration of seeing our Osama-killing Black President in Office because I know exactly what kind of spineless cowards they are and how they would shut their mouths and run like the wind if confronted in person over what they say on here.
I would have told you to go fck yourself and you would have went running away crying like every socialist does. Still a free country until your party takes that away Nazi! What were doing at the gym anyway? Washing towels.

Since: Aug 10

Atlanta, GA

#15 Sep 27, 2011
Curtis Lowe wrote:
<quoted text>
We are among the most educated nations in the history of the world. Education will not stop hate. It just enlightens the masses that didn't realize they were being screwed for the past 50 years. That pisses them off even more. Education and enlightenment have brought us closer to the jungle. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. Nature needs to effect man for a while.
I agree with you 100%. Intellectually we understand, emotionally we don't know what to do about it. You are absolutely right when you say we've been screwed for 50 years. Actually, we've been being screwed for as long as America has been in existence because nearly everything this nation has ever done throughout history has been to benefit the wealthy.

Have you ever read and researched the history of labor in America? It's appalling, and it's still appalling. If we continue to pander to big business the way we are now, you and I and our children will find ourselves slaves to a corporate owned government where WE, the workers, will be paying 100% of the taxes. And if you think, for one second, that anyone is safe other than the 1 percenters, then you're naive. Because it won't stop until our country becomes a rendition of that old song "I owe my soul to the company store."
TedsLiver

San Jose, CA

#16 Sep 27, 2011
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
For the most part the biggest cowards feel free to express online what they would never, and I mean never say out in public. These forums give a lot of pathetic individuals that anonymity to harass attack, obsess and spew racist hate or bigoted rhetoric.
Itís like the story I told before about this right-wing jerk at the gym: he made an off comment remark about the President; and when I confronted him and told him that derogatory language about the President would not be tolerated around me he quickly apologized and every time I saw him for the next few weeks he would express his regret for what he said. Now if he were online with that he would have acted big and bad and probably continued spewing his hate. That is why I laugh at most of the right-wingers that obsessively post their mental disorder brought on by the frustration of seeing our Osama-killing Black President in Office because I know exactly what kind of spineless cowards they are and how they would shut their mouths and run like the wind if confronted in person over what they say on here.
. Caribou patty cake, you are one of the biggest cowards on the blogs. Not mention your racists rants. Too funny.

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#17 Sep 27, 2011
They should try blogging on Topix- they haven't seen mean until they've encountered a goose stepping Rethuglican Nazi of the variety that troll these boards.

LOL

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#18 Sep 27, 2011
Inconvenient Truth wrote:
<quoted text>I would have told you to go fck yourself and you would have went running away crying like every socialist does. Still a free country until your party takes that away Nazi! What were doing at the gym anyway? Washing towels.
Your dream locker room job is wringing out wet jock straps, Nazi, then parading around the showers with them on your head.

LOL
NOT Intimidated Pal

Oscoda, MI

#21 Sep 27, 2011
Inconvenient Truth wrote:
<quoted text>I would have told you to go fck yourself and you would have went running away crying like every socialist does. Still a free country until your party takes that away Nazi! What were doing at the gym anyway? Washing towels.
JESUS was a Socialist! The most important one!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#22 Sep 27, 2011
Inconvenient Truth wrote:
<quoted text>I would have told you to go fck yourself and you would have went running away crying like every socialist does. Still a free country until your party takes that away Nazi! What were doing at the gym anyway? Washing towels.
If the fake Marine was a towel boy in a gay bath house and wouldn't have the guts to open his mouth to anyone,well maybe in the locker room when he was on his knees. He is lucky that wasn't me he ran his tough guy mouth off to,if he really did say anything at all, which I'll bet he didn't.Typical liberal democrat,run and hide like the punks that they are.
Getflushed

San Jose, CA

#23 Sep 27, 2011
The propensity of arrogant little twits suffering from no parental leadership are a result of Liberal policies. The core problem is Liberal policies, which have allowed pandering to narcissism and drug induced emotional stagnancy. Further, a nation allowing 56 Million babies to be murdered for convenience and lasciviousness is a failure. Young people can sense the failure and reflect it by acting out in anger. Agendas basically destructive to America have been allowed to flourish uncontrolled with the erroneous result of turning the Constitution into a suicide pact. Young people sense this malaise and don't have the information to define it, thus act out in angers and drug induced emotional stagnancy. Forty percent Black youth unemployment is a result of failed Liberal policies. The result is anger easily advantaged by the worst of the worst... Communists. We can't slaughter 56 Million babies and not have it affect us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scranton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iron District would link downtown, South Scranton Nov 20 RTjr831 1
Frein used laptop during manhunt Nov 4 amigo 1
Trail Life USA (Feb '14) Oct 31 Seclement61 3
Troopers converge again on abandoned inn after ... Oct 30 dtcheffy 3
any Dushoks still in Oldforge Oct 28 mark 1
Frein may have been spotted Friday, police said Oct '14 Doubting Thomas 1
Michaux named Forest of the Year (May '10) Oct '14 G-man 21
Scranton Dating
Find my Match

Scranton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Scranton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Scranton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:07 pm PST

Bleacher Report11:07PM
Biggest Decisions Steelers Will Face in Offseason
Bleacher Report11:22 PM
Titans' Week 12 Preview vs. Eagles
Bleacher Report 3:21 AM
Sizing Up Final Six Weeks of NFC East Race
NBC Sports 8:01 AM
Belichick: LeGarrette Blount's role is "totally up to him"
NBC Sports 7:04 AM
Blount praises Belichick as "100 percent honest"