Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,146

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143262 May 27, 2012
Rational Adult wrote:
Sorry, but if you are really this pissed off over some troll taking your nic and can't accept an apology....then Fruck off!!!

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#143264 May 27, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
Then why do you care so much about religion? Figures you would fall for the phoney fat global waster of energy liar al gore..LOL...Don't look up, the sky is falling. LOL...
Because religious people use their religion to promote bigotry hate and intolerant. I wasn't always an atheist. I used to be a Christian(Lutheran) but I was open minded and tolerant. I became an atheist because of all of the hate and bigotry the church preached.

Al Gore isn't a liar. Al Gore has been right about climate changed. Just look at all of the weird and crazy weather we have been having for the past few years. Al Gore should have won the 2000 election but it was stolen from him by W. Bush, Bush's brother, and the Supreme Court.
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#143265 May 27, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Because religious people use their religion to promote bigotry hate and intolerant. I wasn't always an atheist. I used to be a Christian(Lutheran) but I was open minded and tolerant. I became an atheist because of all of the hate and bigotry the church preached.
Al Gore isn't a liar. Al Gore has been right about climate changed. Just look at all of the weird and crazy weather we have been having for the past few years. Al Gore should have won the 2000 election but it was stolen from him by W. Bush, Bush's brother, and the Supreme Court.
Atheist use their non belief to promote bigotry and hate. Were you a Lutheran or a Christian? Being a Christian is a personal choice between you and God. Nothing to do with any Church. Al Gore has refused to debate the topic with anyone. Al Gore is a nut that has been dead wrong, If you actually think Al Gore who flunked science and is a mega rich politician flying around visiting his mansions, then you are a fool! Most all scientists don't agree with that nut. http://www.c3headlines.com/predictionsforecas... http://behindtheblack.com/behind-the-black/es... http://www.nationalreview.com/planet-gore/142... History won't be kind to Al Gore. You follow al gore because he is your disciple, he is your prophet and the great obama is your Jesus. You are a sick puppy, get some help.
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#143266 May 27, 2012
“Almost all of the ice-covered regions of the Earth are melting — and seas are rising,” said Al Gore -in an op-ed piece in the New York Times on February 27. Both parts of Gore’s statement are false......Contrary to Gore’s assertions, almost all of the ice-covered regions of the Earth are growing,not melting — and the seas are not rising.......If you click on the words “are melting” in Gore’s article, you’re taken to a paper by Michael Zemp at the University of Zurich. Mr. Zemp begins his paper by warning that “glaciers around the globe continue to melt at high rates.”

However, if you bother to actually read the paper, you learn that Zemp’s conclusion is based on measurements of “more than 80 glaciers.”

Considering that the Himalayas boast more than 15,000 glaciers, a study of “more than 80 glaciers” hardly seems sufficient to warrant such a catastrophic pronouncement.

Especially when you learn that of those 80 glaciers, several are growing.....Growing. Not melting.........I guess you didn't read the memo: that we now will call it climate change, not global warming...LOL!!! Did I do it right dan?
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

#143267 May 27, 2012
Al Gore Said North Pole Would Be Completely Melted This Year… Guess Not, Huh? The biggest fraud in contemporary American politics. and some people here actually adore him...How can they even carry on a debate here or reason? No wonder wat the tyler is gay, what a weakling.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143268 May 27, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
Al Gore Said North Pole Would Be Completely Melted This Year… Guess Not, Huh? The biggest fraud in contemporary American politics. and some people here actually adore him...How can they even carry on a debate here or reason? No wonder wat the tyler is gay, what a weakling.
What exactly does Global Warming and Al Gore have to do with Same-Sex Couples having the right to marry? My guess is ABSOLUTELY nothing!!!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#143269 May 27, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
The actual exit poll for the number of both Hispanics and Blacks were much lower than the pandering of the 75% you claim. The real number was 58% of Blacks voted yes on Prop 8 and 56% of Hispanics voted yes on Prop 8......though both are high, neither voted over 60% on Prop 8.
As a Black person, I'd figure you'd have actually known that information!!!!!
Put it to a vote again in California and see what happens. LOL! Remember, gay marriage was not only defeated by voters once but TWICE. The second one sought a Constitutional amendment to make certain that the first trick used to bring it into California would not be tried again. So, the gays got a GAY judge to throw out the votes of the citizens. Biased much?

These underhanded tricks and the publishing of dishonest polls HURTS the gay agenda and infuriates the voters. That is why they turn out to vote against this issue, and it will only get worse. The 6 states which allow gay marriage today got it from backdoor legislation, circumventing the vote of the public. Attempting to co-opt the black civil rights struggle, and to TRY and use Loving vs Virginia as support is ridiculous and infuriates black people.

Bottom line is that gay marriage has major struggles even if Obama gets a second term, which he probably will.
Dan

Roseville, CA

#143270 May 27, 2012
Frank Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not arguing with you and you're not wasting my time, I'm easily amused. I mean death threats from the Green Fairy? YUK!YUK!YUK!
Who else is giving you these supposed 'threats" Frank-O?

Martha Stewart???

You're crazy buddy.

KraazeE...LOL!!

Location hidden

#143271 May 27, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly does Global Warming and Al Gore have to do with Same-Sex Couples having the right to marry? My guess is ABSOLUTELY nothing!!!
Its like Loving vs Virginia has NOTHING to do with gays or the gay marriage agenda. Gays do not have any "right" to marry. They has a desire to be married, thats all.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143272 May 27, 2012
_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Put it to a vote again in California and see what happens. LOL! Remember, gay marriage was not only defeated by voters once but TWICE. The second one sought a Constitutional amendment to make certain that the first trick used to bring it into California would not be tried again. So, the gays got a GAY judge to throw out the votes of the citizens. Biased much?
These underhanded tricks and the publishing of dishonest polls HURTS the gay agenda and infuriates the voters. That is why they turn out to vote against this issue, and it will only get worse. The 6 states which allow gay marriage today got it from backdoor legislation, circumventing the vote of the public. Attempting to co-opt the black civil rights struggle, and to TRY and use Loving vs Virginia as support is ridiculous and infuriates black people.
Bottom line is that gay marriage has major struggles even if Obama gets a second term, which he probably will.
Why do we need to put it to a vote again? If one does the math.....one can clearly see that between the vote on Prop 22 in 2000 and the vote on Prop 8 in 2008 lost almost 10 percentage points......which would make it lose eventually, but besides that......if we can not put your right to marry to a vote.....why should you be allowed to vote on my right to marry?

Oh and just so that ya know......anti-gay marriage folks may have put a stop to the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples at the moment.....but that right WILL return to Same-Sex Couples in California.....and your silly vote DIDN'T do a damn thing to my marriage or the other 17,999 legally married Same-Sex Couples:-)

Sorry, but NO ONE went out and got a Gay Judge to be biased.......he was assigned the case, everyone knew his sexual orientation and he ruled on the evidence presented at trial........now, you don't like that ruling.....but the fact remains that it was an UNBIASED ruling and it will be upheld.....besides, you didn't seem to be upset when the California State Supreme Court tossed Prop 22 out on it's butt....wonder why?

You do know that we don't live in a Democracy, right? We live in a Republic and we vote in people to represent us.....so, the states that have granted the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples have done so EXACTLY the way that some did it to allow interracial couples to marry.....through the Courts and the Legislative process.

Marriage Equality WILL return to California.....without another vote from folks like you.....and with a lot of work, we will gain at least 2 states at the ballot box and possible 3 in November!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143273 May 27, 2012
_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Its like Loving vs Virginia has NOTHING to do with gays or the gay marriage agenda. Gays do not have any "right" to marry. They has a desire to be married, thats all.
Actually if you change race or skin color to gender.....the argument used in the Loving decision will continue to be used in the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples.

I have the right to marry and exercised that right when I married my wife.......and a Consenting adult should have the right to marry another consenting adult without regards to gender......I know you got your rights, but would you have gotten them if they would have been put to a vote? Probably not!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143275 May 27, 2012
Rational Adult wrote:
<quoted text>Global Warming and Al Gore are relevant, same-sex couples is just adding confusion and a lie to the entire issue. If you had a guess, you would never have come to my thread to attack me. Go rotate somewhere, witch.
Sorry, but you are the "doc". Why is it that trolls like you can't just use your own nic? Why use an innocent bystander who hasn't done anything to you? or is it just a way for you to get your rocks off?

Location hidden

#143278 May 27, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually if you change race or skin color to gender.....the argument used in the Loving decision will continue to be used in the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples.
I have the right to marry and exercised that right when I married my wife.......and a Consenting adult should have the right to marry another consenting adult without regards to gender......I know you got your rights, but would you have gotten them if they would have been put to a vote? Probably not!!!
It was already in the US Constitution (equality without regard to race). It did not require any vote. Miscegenation laws were never unilateral in this nation or globally. The concept of something called "gay marriage" is brand new with no historical precedents in the US or elsewhere. Marriage is not a Constitutional right and is not in the Constitution.

There is a unilateral definition of marriage in place with DOMA, as well as historically and globally. It has never included same sex couples. In the state where you are married, you can be married legally. But in most of the United States and Europe and Asia, your marriage is not recognized. I support something like marriage for you, but not the one that defines men and women being married.

#143281 May 27, 2012
People like _Reality Speaks_ is the reason America is the laughing stock of the world. Promoting bigotry and homophobia. The issue of gay marriage is a non issue in Europe, South Africa, Argentina, etc. but people like _Reality Speaks_ want to take us back to the 1950s when gay people where arrested in the USA for being gay. It used to be illegal in the USA to be gay. That's why gay marriage is a new thing. Because we have been persecuted for centuries and we are not gonna take it anymore! I've had it. No more. I'm sick of all of this homophobic bigoted anti-gay society we live in.

How dare you? How dare you claim you should have more rights and benefits than another group of people? Marriage goes beyond just a word. Adoption rights for same sex couples will be granted in Maryland because of the legalization of gay marriage.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143282 May 27, 2012
_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It was already in the US Constitution (equality without regard to race). It did not require any vote. Miscegenation laws were never unilateral in this nation or globally. The concept of something called "gay marriage" is brand new with no historical precedents in the US or elsewhere. Marriage is not a Constitutional right and is not in the Constitution.
There is a unilateral definition of marriage in place with DOMA, as well as historically and globally. It has never included same sex couples. In the state where you are married, you can be married legally. But in most of the United States and Europe and Asia, your marriage is not recognized. I support something like marriage for you, but not the one that defines men and women being married.
Sorry, but there is NO such thing as "GAY" or "SAME-SEX" Marriage......in fact that's something you can't seem to grasp. My marriage license DOESN'T say anything on it but Marriage Certificate and License issued by the State of California.

You can support any damn thing you want.....but marriage doesn't have to remain just between a man and a woman......you go have something else.....I'll have what I paid for.....a good old fashion Marriage License:-)

DOMA is UNCONSTITUTIONAL because the Federal Government has NO RIGHT to decide which marriages it will recognize and which ones it won't.....THAT'S A CLEAR VIOLATION OF MY DUE PROCESS AND EQUAL PROTECTION which the Constitution guarantees me!!!

Blacks don't own the right to the term "CIVIL RIGHTS" it belongs to ANY minority that is being oppressed or discriminated against!!!

Marriage wasn't already in the Constitution......and neither was race with regards to marriage.....otherwise the Lovings would have NEVER been arrested.

You need to research Same-Sex rites around the 11th century......there was a male couple who got married in Spain in 1061A.D.

#143284 May 27, 2012
People keep saying traditional marriage. Tradition isn't always a good thing. It used to be traditional that gay people were put in jail for being gay. It used to be a tradition that women couldn't vote or blacks where on the back of the bus. do you support that old tradition _Reality Speaks_? Do you think gay people should be persecuted, bullied, and treated like second class citizens because of "tradition."

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143285 May 27, 2012
Happy Gay wrote:
<quoted text>You don't speak for other gays. You get one vote and one opinion. It is idiots like you that are responsible for the gay hate in America. Marriage is only a right, if you choose to marry an opposite sex partner.
Like for instance, slavery is legal if it is a dog or cat, not a human. Same-sex marriage is like slavery, not for humans.
Sorry, but the right to marry is for ANYONE who wants it and is willing to fight for it.

I'm married to my wife.....we are a legally married Same-Sex Couple.....and if you don't want to get married.....that is YOUR RIGHT......and you are entitled to it!!!

#143286 May 27, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
Why do we need to put it to a vote again? If one does the math.....one can clearly see that between the vote on Prop 22 in 2000 and the vote on Prop 8 in 2008 lost almost 10 percentage points......which would make it lose eventually, but besides that......if we can not put your right to marry to a vote.....why should you be allowed to vote on my right to marry?

"If you had Civil Rights voted on I would be sitting in the back of the bus and with a bad eye driver you would be sitting next to me" - Rev. Al Sharpton
RnL2008 wrote:
Oh and just so that ya know......anti-gay marriage folks may have put a stop to the right to marry for Same-Sex Couples at the moment.....but that right WILL return to Same-Sex Couples in California.....and your silly vote DIDN'T do a damn thing to my marriage or the other 17,999 legally married Same-Sex Couples:-)
And there are going to be much more happily same sex couples who will get married in California in 2013 when Proposition 8 becomes history. I'm very happy for you and your wife. I hope one day my home state of Pennsylvania legalizes marriage equality.

“Your religion is NOT in charge”

Columbus

#143291 May 28, 2012
Rational Adult wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly what countries are laughing at us, fool. 190 countries oppose same sex marriage and you are a liar when you say Europe, most of the countries that have same sex marriage are in the Netherlands. The only countries in Europe that have same-sex marriages are Portugal and Spain,idiot.
Go suck on a cow's penis. If you want to marry a dog or the same sex, go to apartheid South Africa or Massastupid.
Are you 12?

"most of the countries that have same sex marriage are in the Netherlands"

Four countries make up the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Of the four, only the Netherlands itself performs same sex marriages. The other three recognize them but do not perform them.

Other nations that perform them:
Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, and Sweden.
Other statuses offer varying legal benefits of marriage and are available to same-sex couples in: Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Slovenia, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Uruguay.

Now please go to school, get an education... and after reading your last sentence - you should consider changing both parts of your screen name.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#143294 May 28, 2012
Rational Adult wrote:
If you read the language of Prop 8 it does not even mention gay or same-sex.
Really, not according to this:
ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME–SEX COUPLES TO MARRY.
INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.
http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/past/2008/genera...

You're wrong......what a surprise!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John ColbySTALKER should go Take Back San Berna... 6 hr Get a job ColbyLOSER 9
City Council Meeting Tue anon 70
How much have the ColbyLOSERS cost the taxpayer... (Aug '12) Tue Get a job ColbyLOSER 79
Who has helped the homeless the most? Tue John Colby 36
Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Tue Go Blue Forever 203
How's the Apartment search going John? Nov 24 Get a job ColbyLOSER 17
Winter Birds--Santa Cruz 2014 Nov 24 Get a job ColbyLOSER 2

Flood Warning for Santa Cruz County was issued at November 26 at 12:43PM PST

Santa Cruz Dating
Find my Match

Santa Cruz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Santa Cruz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Santa Cruz

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News