Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 20 comments on the Aug 4, 2010, www.cnn.com story titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

“Yellow Brick Road”

Since: Mar 12

The Land of OZ

#138790 Apr 30, 2012
polly sigh one oh one wrote:
<quoted text>
oh mona mona when will you learn???
i can give you therapy for free!
wouldn't you like that sweetie???
OH Doctor Demented, Mona is a woman, you likes em before they reach puberty. I am sure she can kick yer ass.

“Yellow Brick Road”

Since: Mar 12

The Land of OZ

#138791 Apr 30, 2012
Prof Marvel wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to take a wild stab here and say you dropped out of school before learning what Eliot meant by "objective correlative."
A hit ...?
Now where were we oh yes. So Professor Fundie, tell me how it is that a Pagan does not have the same rights and privileges as a fundie freak like you. I am sure it must be in the US Constitution somewhere that states only God Fearing Fundamentalist Christians are entitled to the rights as stated in the Constitution. Surly a list is given that disallows Buddhist's, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, Wiccans and atheists the rights that are given to all citizens of this country both natural born and naturalized.

What are the laws that have been past that demand you marry someone of the same sex.

What law has been passed that requires you to have sex with someone of the the sex.

Please show the statutes and the states where these laws have been passed.

Please show me any law or reason that disqualifies a Homosexual or Transsexuals from being a teacher.
Sarbore

San Jose, CA

#138794 Apr 30, 2012
Prof Marvel wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to take a wild stab here and say you dropped out of school before learning what Eliot meant by "objective correlative."
A hit ...?
If you're trying to say you purposefully attempt to piss people off in this forum, we already knew that :)
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138795 Apr 30, 2012
polly sigh one oh one wrote:
<quoted text>
no but your stupidity shows by your posts.
now that wouldn't be considered false would it?
take a hike joe schmo!
I'm guessing from your response, you didn't get the point either.
If people paint pictures expressing homosexuality on their walls, its a pretty good bet, they except homosexuality. I've seen a lot of ancient greek, and roman wall painting, and statues that express homosexuality. Which would suggest to any person there were a lot of people in ancient cultures that excepted homosexuality. Exspecially considering the track record of book god believers destroying things that don't agree with their beliefs.
I asked that question to make the point, people that don't accept homosexuality wouldn't have paintings expressing it, or statues.
If you still fail to understand, or just want to blame your lack of understanding on me, go ahead. I'm confident enough with myself, and I understand your reasons behind it.
rwb

Van Wert, OH

#138796 Apr 30, 2012
The nature of marriage has changed from culture to culture and over time. For a long time, women were not considered 'partners' we have today, they were viewed as 'property'. Much of the time marriage was about property & money rather than love and fulfillment. With the continuing changes in the nature of marriage, we now have legalization of divorce. Recognizing & criminalizing marital rape. Legalizing interracial marriage. The elimination of parents right to choose, child's spouse, along with the elimination of dowries. The elimination of childhood marriages and betrothals. Along with the elimination of polygamy. Romance and marriage did not go hand in hand at one time. Marriage at one time was a matter of obedience, not love. So through history marriage has changed substantially to what we consider traditional now a days. So our traditional marriage consists of love. The ideal of marriage is; love, be loved, grow as a person, and live happily ever after. What is wrong with that...absolutely nothing...well, look around. It seems nearly unfathomable. Look at divorce rates, and number of unmarried adults. So since marriage really took such a long time to develop into what we consider traditional today, is it time for another re-evaluation of the nature of marriage.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138797 Apr 30, 2012
thisGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure seem like you're preaching against bullying, but the last time I saw a protest among Gays & Christians, it was the Gays who did the violence.
www.thegaymanifesto.com/christians-killing-ga...

livinglifewithoutanet.wordpress.com/.../five-... .
www.mpacuk.org/.../christian-preacher-calls-k... -...- United Kingdom
henewcivilrightsmovement.com/70-year-old...ga...
www.lgbtqnation.com/.../ugandan-gay-activist-... -...
www.texemarrs.com/columbine_hate_crime.htm
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138798 Apr 30, 2012
Bill Of Rights wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't excuse it but it's sometimes understandable now isn't it! But again,it is but a tiny minority of gays doing it!
I typed in christians killing homosexuals, I provide some of the links earlier. The funny part was I typed in homosexuals killing christians and the same links came up that I posted about christians killing homosexuals. I guess there just isn't many homosexuals killing christians.

“The Great and Wonderful Marvel”

Since: Aug 09

Baltimore, MD

#138799 Apr 30, 2012
The Great Sly_Clyde wrote:
<quoted text>
Now where were we oh yes. So Professor Fundie, tell me how it is that a Pagan does not have the same rights and privileges as a fundie freak like you. I am sure it must be in the US Constitution somewhere that states only God Fearing Fundamentalist Christians are entitled to the rights as stated in the Constitution. Surly a list is given that disallows Buddhist's, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, Wiccans and atheists the rights that are given to all citizens of this country both natural born and naturalized.
What are the laws that have been past that demand you marry someone of the same sex.
What law has been passed that requires you to have sex with someone of the the sex.
Please show the statutes and the states where these laws have been passed.
Please show me any law or reason that disqualifies a Homosexual or Transsexuals from being a teacher.
All I'm trying to do is point out to some of the straights who support same-sex marriage that supporting the LGBT is a slippery slope -- that although the LGBT drapes itself in noble words like "Equality, Tolerance, Diversity" it is little more than a sex cult, and a notoriously degenerate one at that.

Indeed, this is why the LGBT has no visible leaders -- the men behind the scene are men who march in front of Pride parades in penis suits leading their half-nude lovers behinds in with dog leashes. They want to stay anonymous so they can continue wearing their penis suits.

Straights who support you don't grasp this. They believe the average gay male has been in a monogamous relationship for 10 years and would be shocked and appalled by the sexual practices in The Little Black Book.

But The Little Black Book was a joint effort by the most educated and progressive gay males of today -- Boston area gay males.

Pee-play, fisting, rimming, is what gay males do. If you become a gay male it will be what you do. If a child decides to become gay base on your promotion of it as normal, safe, and wholesome as mom's apple pie, it's what he'll end up doing.

He really doesn't have much of a choice.

Anal sex is just not enough so the gay male tries other things -- anything to achieve something he can never have: truly satisfying sex.

The HIV-AIDS epidemic exploded on the scene right after the APA removed homosexuality from its list of mental disorders.

This is what happens when science bends to political pressure.
huipob

Martinsville, IN

#138800 Apr 30, 2012
j9i0jmu-97hjkjoy i9pyb h9yu9u9nt6
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138801 Apr 30, 2012
Bill Of Rights wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to bright are you buddy? He was being sarcastic oh great clueless one! Your name pretty much describes everything! Glad you recognize that! D-U-H,LOL
You think the number 23 means he/she comes from a long line of them.:O):O)
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138802 Apr 30, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
To you? Wow, guess that establishes it.
Glad you also agree.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#138803 Apr 30, 2012
rwb wrote:
The nature of marriage has changed from culture to culture and over time. For a long time, women were not considered 'partners' we have today, they were viewed as 'property'. Much of the time marriage was about property & money rather than love and fulfillment. With the continuing changes in the nature of marriage, we now have legalization of divorce. Recognizing & criminalizing marital rape. Legalizing interracial marriage. The elimination of parents right to choose, child's spouse, along with the elimination of dowries. The elimination of childhood marriages and betrothals. Along with the elimination of polygamy. Romance and marriage did not go hand in hand at one time. Marriage at one time was a matter of obedience, not love. So through history marriage has changed substantially to what we consider traditional now a days. So our traditional marriage consists of love. The ideal of marriage is; love, be loved, grow as a person, and live happily ever after. What is wrong with that...absolutely nothing...well, look around. It seems nearly unfathomable. Look at divorce rates, and number of unmarried adults. So since marriage really took such a long time to develop into what we consider traditional today, is it time for another re-evaluation of the nature of marriage.
Change or ebb and flow?

One thing hasn't changed in any culture over 8000 years of human history. Marriage is between man and woman. Oh, other relationships happen, they just aren't marriage.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138804 Apr 30, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the change of subject you denied.
You admited you didn't understand my post, I explained it to you. Really your response to the first statement was just the opposite of what I posted, no wonder you think it was a change in the subject matter.
If you would of went back like I suggest and read it again, after I explained it to you. I would hope, you would of see where you went wrong.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#138805 Apr 30, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
that's twice you've admitted you were wrong. I'm proud of you Joe!
My friend do you read any of the previous posts, before you respond?

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

HATE AND BIGOTRY

#138806 Apr 30, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice the difference? It only increases from there!
You keep claiming this "DIFFERENCE" and none truly exists EXCEPT where you choose to make them different!!!

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

HATE AND BIGOTRY

#138807 Apr 30, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Change or ebb and flow?
One thing hasn't changed in any culture over 8000 years of human history. Marriage is between man and woman. Oh, other relationships happen, they just aren't marriage.
HOWEVER today, those that you considered where "OTHER" relationships......are NOW legal marriages!!!
rwb

Van Wert, OH

#138808 Apr 30, 2012
Prof Marvel wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, this is why the LGBT has no visible leaders --
Do you mean leaders, like these? They are anonymous?
1. Jacob Appel, New York City-based lawyer, advocate for reparations for gays and lesbians
2. Chaz Bono, transgender son of Sonny Bono and Cher.
3. Ryan Cassata, American transgender activist, public speaker and singer-songwriter.
4. Christopher R. Barron, Co-Founder of GOProud which is a political organization representing gay conservatives.
5. Meghan McCain, columnist, blogger and daughter of senator John McCain. She has on several occasions expressed support for gay marriage, gay adoption and for repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell. She posed for the NOH8 campaign with her mother Cindy McCain.
6. Wayne Besen Founder of Truth Wins Out. Former spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign.
7. Joseph F. Beam (1954–1989), Philadelphia-based journalist, author, and editor
8. David P. Brill (1955–1979), Boston-based journalist.
9. Margarethe Cammermeyer (born 1942), former colonel in the Washington state National Guard whose coming out story was made into the 1995 movie Serving in Silence, starring Glenn Close.
10. Joanne Conte, transwoman, former Arvada, Colorado City Councilor, currently hosts a radio show on KGNU.
11. Stephen Donaldson (1946–1996), early bisexual-identified LGBT rights activist founder of the first American gay students' organization first person to fight a discharge from the U.S. military for homosexuality, Also an important figure in the modern bisexual rights movement.
12. Danielle Egnew (born 1969), lesbian musician, actress, producer, and psychic who endorsed and provided campaign materials to Virginia's VoteNO campaign, protecting the legalities of same-sex civil unions in Virginia—also Spiritual leader and founder of The Church of the Open Christ, an inclusive and progressive LGBT ministry.
13. Steve Endean,(1948–1993), founder of the Human Rights Campaign Fund
14. Matt Foreman (born 1953), Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
15. Barney Frank (born 1940), member of the Democratic Party who has served as a member of Congress from Massachusetts since 1981.
16. Aaron Fricke (born 1962), who successfully sued the Cumberland, Rhode Island school system in 1980 for the right to bring his boyfriend to the senior prom.
17. Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (born 1986), singer/songwriter who rose to fame in 2009, she soon became involved in the repeal of DADT, speaking out & marching at rallies, using her star power to urge people to call there senators to vote for the repeal of DADT. She further protested for LGBT rights by releasing "Born This Way" (2011) as not only an anthem for the LGBT community, but anyone of discrimination. The songsters continues to protest for equal rights in artistic and flamboyant ways that only she can.
18. Barbara Gittings (1932–2007), founder of the New York City chapter of the Daughters of Bilitis who also pushed for the American Psychological Association to remove homosexuality from its list of mental disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM).
19. Neil Giuliano (born 1956), openly gay mayor of Tempe, Arizona (1994–2004) and current President of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
20. James Gruber (1928—2011), original member of the Mattachine Society.[48]
21. David M. Hall, author of Allies at Work: Creating a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Inclusive Work Environment, who speaks to corporate audiences across the country and is the co-founder of Out & Equal Philadelphia.
22. Harry Hay (1912–2002), co-founder of the Mattachine Society.
23. Essex Hemphill (1957–1995), African American poet
24. Daniel Hernandez Jr.(born 1990), member of Tucson’s city commission on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues, who was credited with saving the life of U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords after the 2011 Tucson shooting.
or:
rwb

Van Wert, OH

#138810 Apr 30, 2012
21. David M. Hall, author of Allies at Work: Creating a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Inclusive Work Environment, who speaks to corporate audiences across the country and is the co-founder of Out & Equal Philadelphia.
22. Harry Hay (1912–2002), co-founder of the Mattachine Society.
23. Essex Hemphill (1957–1995), African American poet
24. Daniel Hernandez Jr.(born 1990), member of Tucson’s city commission on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues, who was credited with saving the life of U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords after the 2011 Tucson shooting.
25. Brenda Howard (1946–2005), bisexual-identified LGBT rights activist an instrumental figure in the immediate post-Stonewall era in New York City. Also an important figure in the modern bisexual rights movement.
26. Cheryl Jacques (born 1962), former member of the Massachusetts State Legislature and the president of the Human Rights Campaign from January through November 2004. She resigned from this post less than a month after the passage of 11 state constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.
27. Janet Jackson (born 1966), American singer, songwriter, and actress.
28. Dale Jennings (1917–2000), co-founder of the Mattachine Society.
29. Cleve Jones (born 1954), conceived the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt and worked with Harvey Milk; co-founded the San Francisco AIDS Foundation[57][58][dead link]
30. Frank Kameny (born 1925), participant in many gay rights rallies of the 1960s and 1970s, most notably the push in 1972–1973 for the American Psychological Association to remove homosexuality from its list of mental disorders in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM).
31. Morris Kight (1919–2003), founder of Los Angeles' Gay and Lesbian Front and Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center.
32. Larry Kramer (born 1935), author and playwright who helped form the prominent gay rights organizations Gay Men's Health Crisis and AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT-UP).
33. Janice Langbehn (born 1968), campaigner for marriage equality and same-sex hospital visitation after being denied access to her dying partner, Lisa Marie Pond, in 2007.
34. Cyndi Lauper (born 1953), founder of the True Colors Fund charity which promotes equality for members of the LGBT community.
35. Scott Long (born 1963), Executive Director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights Program at Human Rights Watch.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#138811 Apr 30, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
HOWEVER today, those that you considered where "OTHER" relationships......are NOW legal marriages!!!
didn't that poster leave out arranged marriages, bought wives, concubines, multiple wives, women treated as property, etc.?
rwb

Van Wert, OH

#138812 Apr 30, 2012
36. Madonna (born 1959), entertainer and long-term human and civil rights activist. Has offered outspoken support for the gay rights movement.
37. Phyllis Lyon (born 1924), lesbian activist who co-founded the Daughters of Bilitis with longtime partner Del Martin.
38. Del Martin (1921–2008), lesbian activist who co-founded the Daughters of Bilitis with longtime partner Phyllis Lyon.
39. Harvey Milk (1930–1978), openly gay city supervisor of San Francisco, California who was assassinated (along with mayor George Moscone) in 1978 by Dan White.
40. David Nelson (born 1962), founder of Gay and Lesbian Utah Democrats, and Stonewall Shooting Sports of Utah.
41. Gavin Newsom (born 1967), heterosexual mayor of San Francisco, California who directed his office to issue wedding licenses to same-sex couples in February 2004. This process was halted the next month by the California Supreme Court.
42. Troy Perry (1940–), founder of UFMCC, an international Protestant Christian denomination. The Fellowship has a specific outreach to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender families and communities.*Hernan Ponce (born 1982) Current President of LACCD Gay Rights Movement,President for all Gay Rights groups in Los Angeles Community College District
43. Craig Rodwell (1940–1993), gay rights activist; founder of first gay & lesbian oriented bookshop in the United States; proposed and organized Annual Reminder; proposed and organized New York's Gay Pride march, then called Christopher Street Liberation day; was a founding member and organizer of Gay People In Christian Science.
44. Bayard Rustin (1912–1987), openly gay civil rights activist, principal organizer of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom and advisor to Martin Luther King, Jr.; gay rights activist in later life.
45. Ryan Sallans (born 1979), out transman and public speaker - travels around the country educating high school and college students on LGBT issues.
46. José Sarria (born 1922 or 1923), first openly gay candidate for political office in the United States,[64] founder of the Imperial Court System.
47. Tully Satre (born 1989), blogger who gained fame in March 2006 for challenging then-Senator
48. Dan Savage (born 1964), columnist of Savage Love and author. Founder of the It Gets Better project.
Michelangelo Signorile (born 1960), gay American writer and a US and Canadian national talk radio host.
49. Ruth Simpson (1926–2008), founder of the first lesbian community center. Former President of Daughters of Bilitis New York. Author of From the Closet to the Courts.
50. Joe Solmonese (born 1965), former political fundraiser and current (as of March 2007) president of the Human Rights Campaign.
52. A. Latham Staples (born 1977), founder and current president of the Empowering Spirits Foundation.
53. Urvashi Vaid,(b. 1958, New Delhi, India) is an American activist who has worked for over 25 years promoting civil rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons.
54. Phill Wilson,(b. 1956, Chicago, IL), co-founder of the National Black Lesbian & Gay Leadership Forum and founder of The Black AIDS Institute
55. Emanuel Xavier (1971–), Latino American poet, AIDS activist, advocate for gay youth.
56. Fran Drescher,(b. 1957, Flushing, New York) is an outspoken healthcare advocate and LGBT rights activist.

Not very many leaders?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Barbara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Insights into Isla Vista Shooter Elliot Rodger (May '14) Apr 23 heh 56
News Elliott Rodger Was Enraged at "Ugly Black Filth... (Jun '14) Apr 23 glandor 27
News Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... (Jun '14) Apr 21 stdominating 68
Deltopia 2015 Apr 7 Paty 1
News #YesAllWomen Think You're a Douchebag (May '14) Apr 5 Just saying 4
News Dr. Laura's harangue live on isle stage - Features (Jan '09) Apr 4 Jack 18
Review: Homeless Resource Center Of Santa Barabara Apr 2 George 1
More from around the web

Santa Barbara People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]