Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 6,345)

Showing posts 126,881 - 126,900 of199,083
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Being gay is not fundamental to existence, sorry. And why do you gays keep attempting to co-opt the Loving vs Virginia precedent?
Define what it means as "fundamental to our existence?" If a heterosexual couple is past the childbearing years, are they "fundamental to our existence" if they can't have children? If a heterosexual couple is either infertile or sterile, are they "fundamental to our existence" if they can't have children? See, if procreation was required in order to get a marriage license......you'd have a point.....but seeing as it isn't.....you have no argument!!!

Now, why is the Loving case used so much.....because up until this time race played an important role in keeping marriage separate even for a man and a woman who happen to be of different skin colors.......and if you remove race or skin color from the argument and instead insert gender.....you have the same argument......that's why it is used.

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Same sex marriage isn't the central issue. It's important that all are treated with respect and dignity, we reject violence and hatred directed toward any group. There are places in the world, where political opponents are called homosexuals and discredited; as long as gays are prosecuted for consensual adult associations; same sex marriage is a distraction.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
Marriage is a defined NATURAL coupling between a man and a woman, and recognized by law. That is why one needs a license to be married legally. There is no such thing as gay marriage. Two men or two women in a couple is not a marriage no matter what any paper says.
Actually one needs a license in order to provide proof that they are married and entitled to receive certain rights, benefits and privileges of being married......it has NOTHING to do with the Natural coupling between a man and a woman.....in fact the state does not care if you couple at all!!!

You're right.....there is NO such thing as "GAY" or "SAME-SEX" Marriage.......but it is a legal marriage that simply involves 2 people of the Same -Sex or 2 people of the opposite-sex.

Your last comment is wrong......if the state issues a marriage license even if it is to 2 men, 2 women or a man and a woman.....it is a legal, valid and recognized marriage by the state......and once DOMA is overturned or repealed......all will be recognized as legal, valid and recognized as such at the federal level.

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Thank you president Obama.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2...

57% of Maryland voters say they're likely to vote for the new marriage law this fall, compared to only 37% who are opposed. That 20 point margin of passage represents a 12 point shift from an identical PPP survey in early March, which found it ahead by a closer 52/44 margin.

The movement over the last two months can be explained almost entirely by a major shift in opinion about same-sex marriage among black voters. Previously 56% said they would vote against the new law with only 39% planning to uphold it. Those numbers have now almost completely flipped, with 55% of African Americans planning to vote for the law and only 36% now opposed.

The big shift in attitudes toward same-sex marriage among black voters in Maryland is reflective of what's happening nationally right now. A new ABC/Washington Post poll finds 59% of African Americans across the country supportive of same-sex marriage. A PPP poll in the critical swing state of Pennsylvania last weekend found a shift of 19 points in favor of same-sex marriage among black voters.
Bill Of Rights

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Being gay is not fundamental to existence, sorry. And why do you gays keep attempting to co-opt the Loving vs Virginia precedent? In that case, it was still a man and woman getting married. There was not and still is not any basis for "race" to be used in the enforcement or drafting laws. Loving vs Virginia has NOTHING to do with the gay marriage push. It is CLEAR in your own quote:
"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival"
If this was about some generic definition of marriage, it would not have included the words "fundamental to our very existence and survival".
The gay agenda is being fiercely resisted because of the underhanded bitch-tricks you people use. Anybody with integrity would easily understand that phrase as being between a man and a woman.
GAY IS NOT THE NEW BLACK.
THE OLD BLACK IS STILL BLACK
And blacks will never support gay marriage in large numbers, no matter what black celebrity or President says they support it. The Asians do not support it, and the majority of Hispanics do not support it. The votes in the states do not support it, and the Constitution does not grant special rights to gay people or anyone else. Marriage is a defined NATURAL coupling between a man and a woman, and recognized by law. That is why one needs a license to be married legally. There is no such thing as gay marriage. Two men or two women in a couple is not a marriage no matter what any paper says.
And you would be wrong about blacks once again! Here is the latest national poll on how blacks now feel about marriage equality! Sorry,but 59% of blacks are now in support of it! And maybe according to you there are NO marriages between couples of the same sex but yours is but an opinion! What does count LEGALLY is what the state says,if they say it is legal it is in fact legal! Who cares what an old bigoted opinionated fool thinks!
Blacks now support marriage equality by 59%

www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1137a2GayMarri...

news.yahoo.com/strong-support-gay-marriage-no...
Dan

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Being gay is not fundamental to existence, sorry. And why do you gays keep attempting to co-opt the Loving vs Virginia precedent? In that case, it was still a man and woman getting married. There was not and still is not any basis for "race" to be used in the enforcement or drafting laws. Loving vs Virginia has NOTHING to do with the gay marriage push. It is CLEAR in your own quote:
"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival"
If this was about some generic definition of marriage, it would not have included the words "fundamental to our very existence and survival".
The gay agenda is being fiercely resisted because of the underhanded bitch-tricks you people use. Anybody with integrity would easily understand that phrase as being between a man and a woman.
And blacks will never support gay marriage in large numbers, no matter what black celebrity or President says they support it. The Asians do not support it, and the majority of Hispanics do not support it. The votes in the states do not support it, and the Constitution does not grant special rights to gay people or anyone else. Marriage is a defined NATURAL coupling between a man and a woman, and recognized by law. That is why one needs a license to be married legally. There is no such thing as gay marriage. Two men or two women in a couple is not a marriage no matter what any paper says.
Listen stupid....is being straight and popping out 30 offspring to 11 different women essential to our 'existance'???

Because dumbfuck that's what some straight male just managed and guesswhat...the story line was that he wanted "the state" to pick up his child support bill because he felt the need to go whoring around a few years earlier.

Integrity? You lack it bud. Gay is not the new black. That I'll agree opon but the simularities are present and undeniable asshat and those are discriminating against a grouping of people based on thier makeup which in fact their makeup creates no viable harm.

Now MORON....gfo find harm in gays...gays marrying or the fact you just don't like homosexuals or piss off because my little buttercup punk that's how it works - you don't have the power to inflict your opinion into other American citizens freedoms unless those freedoms or liberties include harm.

And "gay agenda"...LOL!!! The onlt "gay agenda" I've seen shitforbrains is that homosexuals want to be equal.

Well...let 'em...and get a LIFE of your own for Christ's sake loser.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but THERE is NO genetic defect just because one happens to be Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual......IN FACT in order to be even considered a genetic defect.......THERE WOULD HAVE TO BE A GENE and there isn't one!!!
Inaccurate. I agree there is not a 'gene', however, there does not have to be a gene. Check it out.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't go around pointing at otherS exclaiming "genetic defect" when it's you who was rubberstamped crazier than Charles Manson thinking he was a pacifist...LOL!!!!
1. Doesn't change the truth I stated, does it?

2. Takes one to know one, right?

3. I face/faced my defects. You are afraid to face yours. I think that is really stupid.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage isn't the central issue.
What was the title of the thread again? Oh, right.“Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage” It is the central issue of this thread.
Brian_G wrote:
It's important that all are treated with respect and dignity,
He says, as he argues against the constitutional rights of others.
Brian_G wrote:
we reject violence and hatred directed toward any group.
And yet to advocate against their constitutional rights.
Brian_G wrote:
There are places in the world, where political opponents are called homosexuals and discredited;
Are you going somewhere with this, or just sort of spit-balling?
Brian_G wrote:
as long as gays are prosecuted for consensual adult associations;
Ah, no you really aren’t going anywhere coherent.
Brian_G wrote:
same sex marriage is a distraction.
Then perhaps you should withdraw from the various threads in which you are posting against the rights of fellow citizens and focus on something more substantial.

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
Inaccurate. I agree there is not a 'gene', however, there does not have to be a gene. Check it out.
Of course, that really is immaterial. Marriage is inherently a choice, but that does not bar anyone else from marrying. Feel free to indicate a legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry. I don't think you are able.

“"Human Rights Above All"”

Since: Nov 11

Big Sur California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, that really is immaterial. Marriage is inherently a choice, but that does not bar anyone else from marrying. Feel free to indicate a legitimate state interest served by denying same sex couples equal protection of the law to marry. I don't think you are able.
You know I find it funny that they can never give a coherent answer,or any answer for that matter to your question about indicating what legitimate state interest is served by denying same sex couples "Equal" protection under the law the exact same as hetero couples! I have seen this question asked numerous times by you and many others and never an answer that makes any logical sense what so ever Dodge,dodge,dodge is what they are best at!
Obama the Dog Eater

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, these losers, including Obama, will support beastialiy next. Obama bin laden would support anything to keep his useless, unqualified azz in the White House.
Next on his list?
He'll say that: After much deliberation and talking to my friends, and family, and the man boy lovers in my administration I've evolved to the point that I can understand and appreciate the needs of men to love little boys and have meaningful intimate "man boy" relationships with them. So therefore, at this point in my 2012 re-election campaign, I find myself in support of those NAMBLA members residing in the U.S.
Oh, BTW, vote for me, so I can be the first PRO-NAMBLA "Man Boy" President of the U.S.

“Yellow Brick Road”

Since: Mar 12

The Land of OZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
So it is your claim that if 2/3rd's of the States proposed and 3/4th's of the States ratified an Amendment to appeal the 13th Amendment, slavery would not become legal in the States?
You really need to go back to school..
Look asshat you claim that a state can overlook the Constitution. To change the constitution requires an amendment. But that is not what YOU claim!

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
So it is your claim that if 2/3rd's of the States proposed and 3/4th's of the States ratified an Amendment to appeal the 13th Amendment, slavery would not become legal in the States?
Did you mean to say repeal the 13th Amendment?
akpilot wrote:
You really need to go back to school..
You are hardly one to talk, since you have just suggested that we "appeal the 13th Amendment."
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

List of U.S. state constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions by type
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._sta...
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen stupid....is being straight and popping out 30 offspring to 11 different women essential to our 'existance'???
Because dumbfuck that's what some straight male just managed and guesswhat...the story line was that he wanted "the state" to pick up his child support bill because he felt the need to go whoring around a few years earlier.
Integrity? You lack it bud. Gay is not the new black. That I'll agree opon but the simularities are present and undeniable asshat and those are discriminating against a grouping of people based on thier makeup which in fact their makeup creates no viable harm.
Now MORON....gfo find harm in gays...gays marrying or the fact you just don't like homosexuals or piss off because my little buttercup punk that's how it works - you don't have the power to inflict your opinion into other American citizens freedoms unless those freedoms or liberties include harm.
And "gay agenda"...LOL!!! The onlt "gay agenda" I've seen shitforbrains is that homosexuals want to be equal.
Well...let 'em...and get a LIFE of your own for Christ's sake loser.
......Take a real long look at the U.S. map. 31 states and 10 more coming up soon. That includes California's Proposition 8. The vast majority of the American people and states know that going against Mother Nature has never been associated with American slavery, a totally different issue. Americans, religious and secular, are not fools.
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Wat the Tyler wrote:
57% of Maryland voters say they're likely to vote for the new marriage law this fall, compared to only 37% who are opposed. That 20 point margin of passage represents a 12 point shift from an identical PPP survey in early March, which found it ahead by a closer 52/44 margin.
The movement over the last two months can be explained almost entirely by a major shift in opinion about same-sex marriage among black voters. Previously 56% said they would vote against the new law with only 39% planning to uphold it. Those numbers have now almost completely flipped, with 55% of African Americans planning to vote for the law and only 36% now opposed.
The big shift in attitudes toward same-sex marriage among black voters in Maryland is reflective of what's happening nationally right now. A new ABC/Washington Post poll finds 59% of African Americans across the country supportive of same-sex marriage. A PPP poll in the critical swing state of Pennsylvania last weekend found a shift of 19 points in favor of same-sex marriage among black voters.
Thank u obama: Obama's War on Terror Is Less Ethical Than Bush's. "We don't capture anybody any more...[Obama's] default option... has been to ... take no prisoners...How could it be more ethical to kill people rather than capture them?" The Drone-Happy President: Obama Escalates in Yemen – Again. Obama allows the CIA and the military to fire even when the identity of those who could be killed is not known The Obama administration has already launched six times as many drone strikes as the Bush administration in Pakistan alone, killing hundreds of innocent people and devastating families..........U.S. joins effort to equip and pay 'rebels' in Syria.......Drone strikes in Yemen soar as U.S. stokes 'secret war'- America has dramatically stepped up its "secret war" in Yemen with the U.S. ordering dozens of drone attacks on al-Qaida hotspots, which have also killed scores of civilians..........Obama's Attorney General says U.S. can assassinate American citizens abroad (without being charged with anything or given a trial).........We're #47! After Occupy Journalist Arrests, US Plummets in Global Press Freedom Rankings ......Obama sending 5 US military officers to South Sudan ....The White House has declared the government of South Sudan eligible to receive weapons and defense assistance from the U.S. The announcement came amid an outbreak of violence between two South Sudanese tribes that may have left thousands dead and some 50,000 people needing aid .....Weapon's proliferation: In same week $30 billion weapon deal with Saudi Arabia is finalized, Pentagon reaches $3.5 billion weapon deal with UAE...The U.S. will maintain a presence in Iraq even after "ending" of war ...US Troop Deaths in Afghan War Under Obama Now Twice That Under Bush ...U.S. drone strike in Yemen kills U.S.-born Anwar al-Awlaki. The lethal strike marked the first known case in which the Obama administration tracked down and killed a U.S. citizen. The raid also killed a second American, Samir Khan.....Obama secretly sold bunker-busting bombs to Israel....US Resumes Arms Sales to Bahrain. Less than three months after including Bahrain on a list of human rights offenders requiring the United Nations' attention, the Obama administration seems to have changed its mind....Obama silent as U.S. murders Troy Davis...Obama Pushes NAFTA Style Trade Policy Despite 2008 Promise ...Signed an agreement for 7 military bases in Colombia....Continued Bush's rendition program...Obama has opened three new military bases in Honduras ...Sold $30 billion of weapons to the dictatorship in Saudi Arabia......
RiccardoFire

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Wat the Tyler wrote:
Obama's War on Terror Is Less Ethical Than Bush's. "We don't capture anybody any more...[Obama's] default option... has been to ... take no prisoners...How could it be more ethical to kill people rather than capture them?" The Drone-Happy President: Obama Escalates in Yemen – Again. Obama allows the CIA and the military to fire even when the identity of those who could be killed is not known The Obama administration has already launched six times as many drone strikes as the Bush administration in Pakistan alone, killing hundreds of innocent people and devastating families..........U.S. joins effort to equip and pay 'rebels' in Syria.......Drone strikes in Yemen soar as U.S. stokes 'secret war'- America has dramatically stepped up its "secret war" in Yemen with the U.S. ordering dozens of drone attacks on al-Qaida hotspots, which have also killed scores of civilians..........Obama's Attorney General says U.S. can assassinate American citizens abroad (without being charged with anything or given a trial).........We're #47! After Occupy Journalist Arrests, US Plummets in Global Press Freedom Rankings ......Obama sending 5 US military officers to South Sudan ....The White House has declared the government of South Sudan eligible to receive weapons and defense assistance from the U.S. The announcement came amid an outbreak of violence between two South Sudanese tribes that may have left thousands dead and some 50,000 people needing aid .....Weapon's proliferation: In same week $30 billion weapon deal with Saudi Arabia is finalized, Pentagon reaches $3.5 billion weapon deal with UAE...The U.S. will maintain a presence in Iraq even after "ending" of war ...US Troop Deaths in Afghan War Under Obama Now Twice That Under Bush ...U.S. drone strike in Yemen kills U.S.-born Anwar al-Awlaki. The lethal strike marked the first known case in which the Obama administration tracked down and killed a U.S. citizen. The raid also killed a second American, Samir Khan.....Obama secretly sold bunker-busting bombs to Israel....US Resumes Arms Sales to Bahrain. Less than three months after including Bahrain on a list of human rights offenders requiring the United Nations' attention, the Obama administration seems to have changed its mind....Obama silent as U.S. murders Troy Davis...Obama Pushes NAFTA Style Trade Policy Despite 2008 Promise ...Signed an agreement for 7 military bases in Colombia....Continued Bush's rendition program...Obama has opened three new military bases in Honduras ...Sold $30 billion of weapons to the dictatorship in Saudi Arabia......

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
List of U.S. state constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions by type
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._sta...
<quoted text>
......Take a real long look at the U.S. map. 31 states and 10 more coming up soon. That includes California's Proposition 8. The vast majority of the American people and states know that going against Mother Nature has never been associated with American slavery, a totally different issue. Americans, religious and secular, are not fools.
That might actually mean something if the bans served a legitimate state interest, but they do not. That being the case, the bans are unconstitutional, as they expressly abridge the rights of US citizens, which is forbidden by the 14th Amendment. One might also keep in mind that the US Supreme Court has held that "One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections." West Virginia State Board of Education v Barnette.

Feel free to indicate a legitimate state interest served by these bans that would render them constitutional. I don't think you will be able to do so.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

_Reality Speaks_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like you are out of touch with reality. Big surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
Yawn..
Translation: "Caught again, damn, oh well, better to try a feeble argument than admit I was wrong."
akpilot wrote:
The 14th requires citizens to have equal protection, not slaves. So no, there would be no need to eliminate the 14th in order for the States to bring back slavery.
Slavery based on race, or pretty much any other suspect classification, wouldn't be allowed as long as the 14th Amendment remains in force. Unless ANYONE can be a slave and/or owner because slavery is a legally available option for EVERYONE (reasonable restrictions apply), or anyone kept out of the business on the basis of a suspect classification, would have varying degrees of an equal protection claim.

So much for your feeble defense of your original argument. The point remains.... If the country managed to survive more or less as it presently exists through the process of of actually repealing the 13th Amendment, slavery, beyond the current illegal trade (which would now be 'constitutionally protected', but not legal), wouldn't be an automatic, only a possibility, because the 14th isn't the only legal obstacle to its return. The laws which make the aforementioned, currently existing illegal trade illegal are another obstacle you failed to even address.
akpilot wrote:
But then again you are stuck on stupid, you are so busy trying to scream "slavery" that you have completely forgotten the entire purpose of the example-
Screaming "slavery"? WTF? Buttercup, you're the one who ventured off to stupid when you screamed, that "slavery" would return if the country repealed the 13th Amendment. I just wanted to point out, that even in the incredibly unlikely event many of us would have lived to actually repeal the 13th, that wouldn't make "slavery" either constitutional or legal. THAT was your original point, now let's deal with your historical revisionism:
akpilot wrote:
the States can do as they please with or without Federal consent. It is the Federal Government which must beg permission to seize power.
Oh, so sorry, the correct answers would be: "While the founding fathers envisioned a federal government which managed a very limited range of the common interests of the quasi-independent states, the Constitution they wrote, gives the federal government a great deal of leeway in assuming most, if not almost all, of the powers they have assumed thus far. The now less than quasi-independent states, are able to "do as they please", a whole heck of a lot less today than they were back then, because that is the type of government the people have voted for. They remain bound by the constitutional guarantees of the rights of the individual and at the mercy of most decisions of the federal government and the only way to amend the Constitution and alter this arrangement is by permission of said federal government."

Remember, it's the states themselves and by extension, we the people, which have provided us with the self-perpetuating circus of a federal government we know today. To our credit however, we have established a system where it's a hell of a lot harder for the states to "do as they please" when it comes to screwing with OUR rights, especially in ways you're hypothesizing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 126,881 - 126,900 of199,083
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the San Fernando Forum right now

Search the San Fernando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 39 min Bag itts 4,553
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 23 hr Activity 15,657
On the road alone in L.A. (Jun '07) Wed Nature 64
North Hollywood Woman Gets 76 Months for Rippin... Wed Pig Is A Glow Head 2
The Beatles Question (Apr '13) Wed Gerry Zaragemca 4
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Apr 15 lug heads 7,298
Pacific Oaks Apartments Reviews, Chatsworth CA (Oct '13) Apr 14 Ray Z 2
•••
•••

San Fernando News Video

•••
•••

San Fernando Jobs

•••