Recycling scavengers upset some residents

It's a complaint that police and local garbage authorities hear quite a bit: People are stealing recyclable waste out of curbside bins. Full Story
compasionate but scared

San Francisco, CA

#21 May 27, 2008
I am compassionate to the situation and I believe, legally, anything that you throw away is no longer your property. If the city and waste management do not enforce this, we really don't have much recourse.

However, my concern is that these people come all the way into our backyard under my sons room and make a lot of racket. This also puts them next to our vehicle and I'm very concerned about running into someone. I just want them to wait until my recycling is on the curb, they don't belong on our property EVER.
Fair Game

Pleasanton, CA

#22 May 27, 2008
You leave a car that runs in front of your home. You call "Cars for Kidneys" to donate. Before "Cars for Kidneys" arrive, somebody takes your car. I guess it's OK because you didn't want it anymore, its park on the street and is fair game. Right?
san carlos

Danville, CA

#23 May 27, 2008
I thought we were talking about cans and glass and plastic in the recicle bins for BFI to be picked up..not?
PARCA is clearly marked i believe and that's a NO NO for someone else to take I agree.
Permission is simple wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you leave a working refig on the sidewalk in front of your home for PARCA to pick up, someone else takes it, that's OK? Or you leave bundles of newspapers for the Girl Scouts to take and someone else takes them..that's OK?
san carlos

Danville, CA

#24 May 27, 2008
now Its getting ridiculous...maybe a bit stupid.
Just ask Permission

Pleasanton, CA

#25 May 27, 2008
san carlos wrote:
I thought we were talking about cans and glass and plastic in the recicle bins for BFI to be picked up..not?
PARCA is clearly marked i believe and that's a NO NO for someone else to take I agree.<quoted text>
In most cases the bottle, cans and paper are in bins that say BFI....NO? I just disagree, it's petty theft no matter how you slice and dice it.
BDI756

San Mateo, CA

#26 May 27, 2008
Dont know about SLC, but in the Bay Area, if you mark goods for PARCA, St. Vincent de Paul etc. the folks( most, we have jerks here too) will leave alone..A more usual site is for people to hang a FREE sign on almost anything on the sidewalk and it gets picked up sooner or later..( one mans junk is someone else's treasure?)..Great way to get rid of all that doesnt sell at a garage sale.
Permission

Pleasanton, CA

#27 May 27, 2008
BDI756 wrote:
Dont know about SLC, but in the Bay Area, if you mark goods for PARCA, St. Vincent de Paul etc. the folks( most, we have jerks here too) will leave alone..A more usual site is for people to hang a FREE sign on almost anything on the sidewalk and it gets picked up sooner or later..( one mans junk is someone else's treasure?)..Great way to get rid of all that doesnt sell at a garage sale.
That works...That would be a form of giving permission.
san carlos

Danville, CA

#28 May 27, 2008
sure exept that BFI #1 don't do what they said they do with recicles and #2 their workers create mess more than clean up..anywys Its all debateable
Just ask Permission wrote:
<quoted text>
In most cases the bottle, cans and paper are in bins that say BFI....NO? I just disagree, it's petty theft no matter how you slice and dice it.
The King

Pleasanton, CA

#29 May 27, 2008
san carlos wrote:
sure exept that BFI #1 don't do what they said they do with recicles and #2 their workers create mess more than clean up..anywys Its all debateable<quoted text>
Let it be thought. Let it be written. Let it be done..LOL..
recycling_victim

San Mateo, CA

#30 May 27, 2008
At first it was just the cans, then one time someone took both of my Allied Waste buckets. So I used my own private property buckets and those were stolen too! Recycling scavenging is out of control and needs to be stopped! This activity is criminal, and yes there are victims.
san carlos

Danville, CA

#31 May 27, 2008
OMG let's prosecute them!
Let them be included in the "3 striles u out"...we got real criminals out there and we want scavangers to be put at the same level...
RWC

AOL

#32 May 27, 2008
<quoted text>
So, you leave a working refig on the sidewalk in front of your home for PARCA to pick up, someone else takes it, that's OK? Or you leave bundles of newspapers for the Girl Scouts to take and someone else takes them..that's OK?
No, not ok, these items were left for someone else. Just because I don't think its stealing dosen't meen I think its the right thing to do.
tinybirds

United States

#33 Jun 3, 2008
hello,
I use not care too much about this recycling issue (people snooping in the cans), but recently someone climbed onto my porch and took the recycling I had I was going to take to the supermarket. My porch is behind a white picket fence and then another gate for my dog and is higher than street level. He blatanly walked in my yard, climbed over the other gate and happily climbed the porch stares and made off with my stash, in essence stealing money from me. This incident changed my perspective quite drastically. Apparently this person felt he had entitlement to my recycling whether it was on the street or on my porch. Which led me to believe, these people are stealing, cut and dry. They don't ask and they don't get permission in advance, and they do it when most people are at work. I'd be more than happy if someone came along and said, hey can I have your recycling every week, I will come by around 2 pm and get it and I would be like hey sure it will be in the can but stay off my property. It's just like everything, there will be some jerk who takes too much levity and messes it for everyone.
Permission is Simple

Pleasanton, CA

#34 Jun 3, 2008
tinybirds wrote:
hello,
I use not care too much about this recycling issue (people snooping in the cans), but recently someone climbed onto my porch and took the recycling I had I was going to take to the supermarket. My porch is behind a white picket fence and then another gate for my dog and is higher than street level. He blatanly walked in my yard, climbed over the other gate and happily climbed the porch stares and made off with my stash, in essence stealing money from me. This incident changed my perspective quite drastically. Apparently this person felt he had entitlement to my recycling whether it was on the street or on my porch. Which led me to believe, these people are stealing, cut and dry. They don't ask and they don't get permission in advance, and they do it when most people are at work. I'd be more than happy if someone came along and said, hey can I have your recycling every week, I will come by around 2 pm and get it and I would be like hey sure it will be in the can but stay off my property. It's just like everything, there will be some jerk who takes too much levity and messes it for everyone.
Well said....Asking Home Owners permission is respectful and the right thing to do. I don't care who takes it, if no permission, its theft no matter how you slice and dice it.
san carlos

Danville, CA

#35 Jun 3, 2008
If they are marked PARCA and GIRLS SCOUT then Its stealing
<quoted text>
Permission is Simple

Sunnyvale, CA

#36 Jun 3, 2008
RWC wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the rates are lower because of the recycling but I could be wrong. As for stealing, personaly I don't think its stealing but they say it is. As far as I knew once you set something on the sidewalk it was fair game, 1 you no longer want it 2 its no longer on your property.
So, you leave a working refig on the sidewalk in front of your home for PARCA to pick up, someone else takes it, that's OK? Or you leave bundles of newspapers for the Girl Scouts to take and someone else takes them..that's OK? No people, it's not OK.. it's stealing, not fair game/free items. Like the recycling items in BFI bins, theft no matter how you slice and dice it.
san carlos

Danville, CA

#37 Jun 3, 2008
well I don't hv much simphaty for BFI because Its more the garbage that they drop on my street than the one collected..so if the its for PARCA and the SCOUTS and it is marked then IM with u otherwise for BFI NOT!!
Permission is Simple

Sunnyvale, CA

#38 Jun 3, 2008
san carlos wrote:
well I don't hv much simphaty for BFI because Its more the garbage that they drop on my street than the one collected..so if the its for PARCA and the SCOUTS and it is marked then IM with u otherwise for BFI NOT!!
Permission is Simple, just ask the home owners.
RWC

AOL

#39 Jun 3, 2008
Permission is Simple wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you leave a working refig on the sidewalk in front of your home for PARCA to pick up, someone else takes it, that's OK? Or you leave bundles of newspapers for the Girl Scouts to take and someone else takes them..that's OK? No people, it's not OK.. it's stealing, not fair game/free items. Like the recycling items in BFI bins, theft no matter how you slice and dice it.
Someone already asked me that, maybe it was you, please read that response.
rwclady23

San Mateo, CA

#40 Jun 3, 2008
Just because it's on the sidewalk doesn't mean it's fair game. These items are put out for BFI, so they are not for anyone to take but them.

These people irritate and scare me. Some of them are very aggressive. The next one I catch on my property I'm calling RCPD.

And of course BFI gets the $$ and this should keep our rates steady. So why should I let someone take my recyclables and incur higher garbage rates?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Carlos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HELP STOP UNJUST PERSECUTIONS of TAXPAYERS over... 14 hr EQUAL RIGHTS 27
sri ganganagar Thu parmjeet 1
Good Night... Dec 16 Ashik love 2
Indias Independence Day Celebration Dec 15 Maheed Delhi 1
10000 acres real estate land for sale (May '09) Nov 21 Wally West 2
San Carlos residents rise up against possible r... Nov '14 Bear 2
Review: Gas2you, Inc. Aug '14 Bill 1

San Carlos News Video

San Carlos Dating
Find my Match