First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#1 Jul 6, 2010
I can't understand why Saltville does not have a website where people can access it to see what events will be taking place on Labor Day weekend. How hard is it to get a domain such as www.saltvillelaborday.com or similar? This town sucks and the council and labor day committee seem to be all about themselves and not for the people and what they want. If you are a council member or on the Labor Day committee please leave a response and explain why this has not been done after all of these years. If you go to the Saltville website it is useless and most of the time its not even updated. Right now is the time to start advertising for Labor Day and not wait a week before putting out posters and flyers.
gosh

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 6, 2010
this town sux any way
RoadDog

Knoxville, TN

#3 Jul 7, 2010
I agree can tell you Mel Tillis will be the singer on Sept. 6th. Go to his web site to see for yourself!
deacon

Rocky Mount, VA

#4 Jul 7, 2010
Gold City qt. will be here Sun. the fifth
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#5 Jul 7, 2010
Yeah I knew Mel Tillis would be coming to Saltville. I am sure the older folks will enjoy him, but the younger people need something to enjoy also. After all, its the younger people who will grow up and be the ones running this town one day. The whole town sucks in how they run things.
sad 4 u

Nashville, TN

#6 Jul 7, 2010
Is Karen Surber going to work it this year on comp time?
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#7 Jul 8, 2010
You know I can't understand why they have the same bands coming back again this year to perform. They need to change it up every year and considering who they had to choose from for the main headliner they had to pick Mel Tillis. No disrespect for Mel, but he will not go over with the younger generation. They had other artists they could have chose from that would have benefited both the young and older generations of Saltville.
Guv nah

Clintwood, VA

#8 Jul 8, 2010
Well you better hope that Bill Hays isn't in charge of the Labor day bands this year!!! Last year was a fiasco!
I'm a fan and friend of the band IdleWild who was scheduled to play last year. From what I understand the band was cutting him a deal so he wouldn't go over his budget, then he bumps their time slot 3 or 4 times. My wife and I sat in the hot sun from 1-5 that day waiting to see IdleWild perform. The last time he bumped their time slot they left. The turds revision, I mean Travelers revision was scheduled to play after IdleWild but had the back stage area blocked off and they couldnt' even get to the stage. There was absolutly no back stage management! So, IdleWild left and didn't play after we sat in the sun all day waiting on the band, I don't blame them at all!
He had NO idea what he's doing then making up lies about IdleWild telling the crowd, which most were there to see IdleWild, that they had a family emergency. One of the band members told me that she got several calls from people wondering if everything was ok??

Bill Hays....stick to something else and keep your nose out of band booking and management skills.
THE GOOD OLD DAYS

United States

#9 Jul 8, 2010
LABOR DAY IS REALLY GOING DOWN HILL. THE OLD COMMITTEE RAISED ALL THE MONEY FOR THE STARS AND HAD GOOD ENTERTAINMENT. NOW THEY GET THE FUNDS FROM THE TOWN, SO WHO CARES IF PEOPLE LIKE IT.
THE OLD COMMITTEE HAD REGULAR MEETINGS SO ANYBODY COULD ATTEND. NOW, THEY CHANGE THE MEETINGS EACH TIME. MS. ISON SAYS SHE IS THE CHAIRPERSON, BUT SHE NEVER KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON. REMEMBER WHEN WE GOT TO RIDE THE TRAIN. SOLD FOR SCRAPE. WHAT A SHAME. ALL THE VENDORS WERE LOCAL AND KEPT THEIR PRICES LOW. NOW THE PRICE IS SET MOSTLY IN TENN. ALL THE OLD VENDORS HAVE BEEN RUN OFF. WONDER HOW MANY VENDORS ARE FROM SALTVILLE?
VOLUNTEERS

United States

#10 Jul 8, 2010
CAN'T GET VOLUNTEERS ANYMORE, AFTER THEY FOUND OUT THAT BILL & MIKE PAID THEIR FRIENDS TO WORK. WHO GETS ALL THOSE PICTURES THE COMMITTEE HAS SOMEONE TAKE. THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN DISPLAYED ANYWHERE. THE OLD COMMITTEE ALWAYS DISPLAYED THOSE PICTURES IN THE MERCHANTS WINDOWS. SALTVILLE YOU HAVE BROKEN THE VOLUNTEERS BACKS, DUE TO YOUR LACK OF SUPPORT
MAYBE BILL AND MIKE NEED TO GO OUT OF TOWN THIS LABOR DAY.
saltville gets it right

Chilhowie, VA

#11 Jul 8, 2010
http://www.meltillis.com/roadschedule/default...
read that link Mel Tillis is coming to Saltville on Sept 6th look for yourselves and yes I grew up listening to him so I would love to go see him. There is too much rap in this world words you cant understand or will make you go deaf listening too.
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#12 Jul 8, 2010
Guv nah wrote:
Well you better hope that Bill Hays isn't in charge of the Labor day bands this year!!! Last year was a fiasco!
I'm a fan and friend of the band IdleWild who was scheduled to play last year. From what I understand the band was cutting him a deal so he wouldn't go over his budget, then he bumps their time slot 3 or 4 times. My wife and I sat in the hot sun from 1-5 that day waiting to see IdleWild perform. The last time he bumped their time slot they left. The turds revision, I mean Travelers revision was scheduled to play after IdleWild but had the back stage area blocked off and they couldnt' even get to the stage. There was absolutly no back stage management! So, IdleWild left and didn't play after we sat in the sun all day waiting on the band, I don't blame them at all!
He had NO idea what he's doing then making up lies about IdleWild telling the crowd, which most were there to see IdleWild, that they had a family emergency. One of the band members told me that she got several calls from people wondering if everything was ok??
Bill Hays....stick to something else and keep your nose out of band booking and management skills.
I was there and I was backstage when all of this happened. Yes I blame Bill for being unorganized, but Idlewild was give the chance to use The Travelers equipment since Rick K and the Allnighters took too long to do their sound check. Rick had in his contract that he could take as long as it took to get their sound right. The Travelers were there when they were suppose to be, but Idlewild was suppose to be there earlier than the Travelers to setup. Well Bill did cut down their time and it was wrong for him to do that, but Idlewild was the ones who refused to play regardless of the situation. The Travelers time was cut also, but granted it was all a raw deal. The Travelers will be playing again this year and so will Common Ground, but not sure on what days.
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#13 Jul 8, 2010
saltville gets it right wrote:
http://www.meltillis.com/roads chedule/default.htm
read that link Mel Tillis is coming to Saltville on Sept 6th look for yourselves and yes I grew up listening to him so I would love to go see him. There is too much rap in this world words you cant understand or will make you go deaf listening too.
How can you figure that Saltville got it right? Saltville has never got it right and yes Mel is a good performer, but they could have got another performer in there as well for the younger generation also. After all the entertainers who are schedule will determine how the crowd will turn out. I am just sick and tired of the whole thing and I know if I was in charge I would change things around to benefit the people and not myself. They need to put the list of entertainers in the paper and have the public do a vote on who they would like to have that would be within the price range of who they could get at the time. This would be fair to everyone and fair to the town.
happy trails

Chilhowie, VA

#14 Jul 8, 2010
Saltville Resident wrote:
<quoted text> How can you figure that Saltville got it right? Saltville has never got it right and yes Mel is a good performer, but they could have got another performer in there as well for the younger generation also. After all the entertainers who are schedule will determine how the crowd will turn out. I am just sick and tired of the whole thing and I know if I was in charge I would change things around to benefit the people and not myself. They need to put the list of entertainers in the paper and have the public do a vote on who they would like to have that would be within the price range of who they could get at the time. This would be fair to everyone and fair to the town.
Well tell them about it but what i have seen they dont give a damn for the young or the old I heard somthing today that really got me pissed, they took the prisoners helping at the food bank away (cause it didnt look good for saltville) that is bs the VOLUNTEERS THERE WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF AND NEED THE HELP. they dont get paid and now someppl cant get added to the delivery list cause they have no help and the reg delivery drivers are over booked so now Saltville is such a great town bulls t
happy trails

Chilhowie, VA

#15 Jul 8, 2010
yeah get that kind of music or so called music in there bet the youngins wont come heck you cant even understand the words it has no meaning and it is nasty you can have it all I am glad I wont be there. To hear that nasty crouch grabbing idiots that they call music. GOOD BYE
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#16 Jul 8, 2010
happy trails wrote:
yeah get that kind of music or so called music in there bet the youngins wont come heck you cant even understand the words it has no meaning and it is nasty you can have it all I am glad I wont be there. To hear that nasty crouch grabbing idiots that they call music. GOOD BYE
I don't mean get one of these well know metal bands, but at least have some rock and roll or a top known country act that the young people seem to enjoy. Abingdon has got Luke Bryan on schedule this year. They had 38 Special one year and a few others. I know Saltville can afford these artists as well. Lonestar and Heidi Newfield was good last year in Abingdon. Just saying that it is more modern and better than Mel Tillis.
happy trails

Chilhowie, VA

#17 Jul 9, 2010
You have your choice in music I have mine. If Saltville can afford them then why dont they. Yes Southern Rock would be a crowd filler. Heck how about Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, maybe Bob Seger, David Allan Coe all them would be good but do you really think Saltville would give us anything good but well I am just wondering where all there so called money goes too. Since the singers they get are low budget and well way old. If I made anyone mad I am sorry but I just cant understand why they dont want to make the town happy and they wonder why the residents go other places well there is your answers. There is absolutely nothing in Saltville for old or young to do.
Saltville Resident

Martinsville, VA

#18 Jul 9, 2010
happy trails wrote:
You have your choice in music I have mine. If Saltville can afford them then why dont they. Yes Southern Rock would be a crowd filler. Heck how about Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, maybe Bob Seger, David Allan Coe all them would be good but do you really think Saltville would give us anything good but well I am just wondering where all there so called money goes too. Since the singers they get are low budget and well way old. If I made anyone mad I am sorry but I just cant understand why they dont want to make the town happy and they wonder why the residents go other places well there is your answers. There is absolutely nothing in Saltville for old or young to do.
The entertainers they get are in a price range from $5000 to $20,000. I heard they did pay out around $22,000 this year for Mel Tillis. Now getting some of the older southern rock bands would be great, but getting Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift would bankrupt the town. ETSU had Carrie Underwood and they lost money and I know they paid around $40,000 dollars for her to come do an hour and a half show. I know music and I know how the business works, but you are right about wondering where the money goes. They have been getting grants for Labor Day here in the last few years just like they got a grant for that ridiculous stage they have that was built all wrong and turned the wrong way. It sure was not made for sound and the sound companies complain about as well as the entertainers when they come here and perform. Then again that is the only way Saltville can afford anything. You have to look at the town as getting one big welfare check to keep the town going because there is not enough industry here to keep the town going. The businesses that are in town are shutting down because the town makes them mad in some way and more than likely raises their taxes or lease on the buildings that the town owns. One business I can think of was the Mexican Restaurant that was in the Salina building. I have to say I like mexican food and did not mind eating there, but I will say that place got the business and people came from every where to eat there and on Sundays the church people packed the place. Well talking to the owner they raised his rent and supposedly told him that Saltville did not need a mexican restaurant that Saltville was a hamburger town. Well he was kicked out of there and he relocated up on West Main into Con Smiths building. This ruined him because the place was not as big and there was no parking for the customers. If the truth is known I'd say people are pocketing money within the town with some of this grant money, especially Labor Day. I truly believe Sabrena Ison is honest about it because she has no idea what is going on and she is the book keeper or treasurer. One minute they have the money and then they are broke and she can't figure out why according to different sources. The whole town council needs to be replaced or the county needs to just take over the town and clean it up. There is too much money laundering going on in Saltville and the people and citizens of Saltville need to know about it and cure this problem.
IW ROCKS

Clintwood, VA

#19 Jul 9, 2010
Saltville Resident wrote:
<quoted text>I was there and I was backstage when all of this happened. Yes I blame Bill for being unorganized, but Idlewild was give the chance to use The Travelers equipment since Rick K and the Allnighters took too long to do their sound check. Rick had in his contract that he could take as long as it took to get their sound right. The Travelers were there when they were suppose to be, but Idlewild was suppose to be there earlier than the Travelers to setup. Well Bill did cut down their time and it was wrong for him to do that, but Idlewild was the ones who refused to play regardless of the situation. The Travelers time was cut also, but granted it was all a raw deal. The Travelers will be playing again this year and so will Common Ground, but not sure on what days.
No you are mistaken sir/ms. I'm the female singer in this band. If you recall IdleWild was originally booked to open for Rick K the posters were even printed up with that line up. Bill Haynes then called us and told us that the Travelers would be taking our place prior to Rick K and we would be playing before them and told us what time we needed to arrive to the back stage area, however when we got there the Travelers were already behind the stage and we had NO access to the area and had to park across the street.

The reason IdleWild didn't play is because we got bumped 3 different time slots and 2 times that day. We had fans there that had been there all day waiting on us to play.

Sometimes you just get tired of getting ran over. We thought we were doing Bill and Saltville a favor to agree to play for $200.00.

This is the TRUTH!
Infoman

Martinsville, VA

#20 Jul 9, 2010
IW ROCKS wrote:
<quoted text>
No you are mistaken sir/ms. I'm the female singer in this band. If you recall IdleWild was originally booked to open for Rick K the posters were even printed up with that line up. Bill Haynes then called us and told us that the Travelers would be taking our place prior to Rick K and we would be playing before them and told us what time we needed to arrive to the back stage area, however when we got there the Travelers were already behind the stage and we had NO access to the area and had to park across the street.
The reason IdleWild didn't play is because we got bumped 3 different time slots and 2 times that day. We had fans there that had been there all day waiting on us to play.
Sometimes you just get tired of getting ran over. We thought we were doing Bill and Saltville a favor to agree to play for $200.00.
This is the TRUTH!
I am not knocking you guys and I understand. The first mistake you all made was agreeing to the $200, especially with Bill Haynes. I feel your pain and I know you all did get bumped, but the Travelers were the ones who were originally set up to open for Rick because they had already opened for Rick in Wytheville prior to that. Bill Haynes will tell you anything to make yourself look good. I am in this music business myself and I would not do anybody any favors, especially Saltville and the least I would have done would charge them a $100 for every band member you have. Technically, the right thing for Bill to have done would be to call you guys back for this year and make it right. Now these headliner bands such as Rick K can knock any band out of their time slot if their sound is not right. They have it in their contract to do so which sucks. The bottom line is Saltville Labor Day is unorganized and always has been ever since Fred Singleton quit doing it along with the committee members back then. This is why this post is on here to discuss how bad Labor Day has gotten.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saltville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snitches 4 hr MarkyMark 10
Northwood Football 5 hr buttmunch 7
saltville progress (Mar '12) 6 hr morons 18
brandy bennett Davidson Dec 14 curious 3
Brandi Davidson (Oct '11) Dec 13 curious 24
What's the update on a new police chief? Dec 7 Enjoy life 1
Who is the hottest guy in smyth co? Dec 5 Jess1 24
Saltville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web