Our sountry is becoming a police state

Posted in the Salem Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
I did

Melbourne, AR

#1 May 29, 2011
From time to time I will post facts that show you how abusive our guvmint is becoming----------just so you know.

1st fact: A Missourian was fined $90000 by the USDA for selling rabbits without a license.
The guy made $200 profit.
He did not know he needed a license.
Did you know you needed a license to sell a stinkin Rabbit.
Magnum Lawyer

Mountain Home, AR

#2 May 30, 2011
Ignorance of the law is not a defense. If you play then you must pay. You post your "supposed facts" and I'll post the truth and the law that supports it.
And yes, I knew you needed a license to sell rabbits.
I did

Melbourne, AR

#3 May 30, 2011
Two injured US military veterans traveling to a ceremony to honor the lives of fallen friends who gave their lives to protect the rights enshrined in the Constitution were harassed by TSA thugs, with one of them having his crotch grabbed, according to David Bellow, an Army National Guardsman and a State Republican Executive Committeeman.

The TSA agents responded to the men having set off metal detectors by interrogating them about what they were hiding in their bodies.“What are you hiding in your face?” screamed one.

“My friend told me that one TSA agent came up to him and asked what he was hiding in his leg, but before my friend could answer he said that the TSA agent grabbed him, without notice, right in the crotch area as if trying to find something hidden,” writes Bellow.

When the TSA goon grabbed his crotch and didn’t let go, the veteran felt inclined to lash out violently but was somehow able to control his fury.

This story is just one of hundreds if not thousands of examples that underscores the fact that low-grade TSA morons who have proven themselves prone to predatory, perverted and criminal behavior have no place in a free society.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#4 May 30, 2011
Anytime a story contains the words "my friend told me" you can be sure its pure BS. The TSA has a tough job and if your planning to fly, it's well advised to do as they ask and make both your flight and their job easy. By purchasing a ticket you consent to these searches and should you not desire them, simply don't fly.
Bob A Long

Cherokee Village, AR

#5 May 30, 2011
Yes this is true, The more Mexican and Arabs that move into America legal or not more police will be needed to keep them under control. And of course you know who has to pay for it all. And then there is the blacks?

Location hidden

#6 May 30, 2011
Bob A Long wrote:
Yes this is true, The more Mexican and Arabs that move into America legal or not more police will be needed to keep them under control. And of course you know who has to pay for it all. And then there is the blacks?
I agree 100% with you.
I did

Melbourne, AR

#7 May 30, 2011
The Transportation Security Administration is too worried about "political correctness," according to a Republican lawmaker.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.), a member of the House Homeland Security Committee, said TSA is too politically correct when it chooses which passengers to search at airport security checkpoints.

During a recent trip, Broun said he saw TSA pat down an elderly person and a child, but not a man he that deemed suspicious.

"I walked through ... right behind me there was a grandmother -- little old lady, and she was was patted down," Broun said on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal."

"Right behind her was a little kid who was patted down. And then right behind him was a guy in Arabian dress who just walked right through. Why are we patting down grandma and kids?"
I did

Melbourne, AR

#8 May 30, 2011
Every two to three years, Eddie Sales trims and prunes the crape myrtles at his church, Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church.

But this year, the city of Charlotte cited the church for improperly pruning its trees.

"We always keep our trees trimmed back because you don't want to worry about them hanging down in the way," said Sales, a church member.

The church was fined $100 per branch cut for excessive pruning, bringing the violation to $4,000.

"I just couldn't believe it when I heard about it," Sales said. "We trim our trees back every three years all over our property, and this is the first time we have been fined."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/28/2...
I did

Melbourne, AR

#9 May 30, 2011
James Ruston's house was knocked off its foundation by tornadoes that barreled through town last month and is still uninhabitable. He thought help had finally arrived when a truck pulled up to his property with a mobile home from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Then he got the call: Single-wide mobile homes, like the FEMA one, are illegal in the city of Cordova.

The city's refusal to let homeless residents occupy temporary housing provided by FEMA has sparked outrage in this central Alabama town of 2,000, with angry citizens filling a meeting last week and circulating petitions to remove the man many blame for the decision, Mayor Jack Scott.

Ruston and many others view the city's decision as heartless, a sign that leaders don't care that some people are barely surviving in the rubble of a blue-collar town.

"People have to live somewhere. What's it matter if it's in a trailer?" asked Felicia Boston, standing on the debris-strewn lot where a friend has lived in a tent since a tornado destroyed his home on April 27.

Scott has heard all the complaints, and he isn't apologizing. He said he doesn't want run-down mobile homes parked all over town years from now.

"I don't feel guilty," he said. "I can look anyone in the eye."

Located about 35 miles northwest of Birmingham, Cordova was hit by a pair of powerful tornadoes on April 27, the day twisters killed more than 300 people across the Southeast. Officials say 238 died in Alabama, the highest death toll for any state in a spring of violent weather.

An EF-3 twister with winds of at least 140 mph slammed into the town around 5:30 a.m., knocking out power and damaging numerous buildings. An EF-4 with winds around 170 mph struck about 12 hours later, killing four people and cutting a path of destruction a half-mile wide through town.

Scores of homes, businesses and city buildings were destroyed or damaged by the time the winds died down. Nearly every red-brick storefront was whacked along Main Street, which is now deserted and blocked by a chain-link fence.

Residents whose homes were destroyed assumed they would be able to live in one of the hundreds of long, skinny mobile homes that FEMA is providing as temporary housing for tornado victims. After all, the Cordova Police Department, a pharmacy, a bank and City Hall all have moved into similar trailers since the storm.

But the city enacted a law three years ago that bans the type of mobile homes provided by FEMA, called single-wide trailers. Older single-wide mobile homes were grandfathered in under the law and double-wide mobile homes are still allowed, Scott said, but new single-wides aren't allowed and a tornado isn't any reason to change the law, even temporarily.
I did

Melbourne, AR

#10 May 30, 2011
Remember section 215?

It was a notorious provision of the USA Patriot Act, renewed on Thursday, that allowed the government to snoop on what library books you'd borrowed, what videos you'd rented, your medical records – anything, really, if investigators thought it might have something to do with terrorism, no matter how tangential.

I wrote about it for the Boston Phoenix in 2003, as an example of the then budding excesses of the Bush-Cheney years.

Well, section 215 is back – not that it ever went away. Charlie Savage reports in Friday's New York Times that two Democratic senators, Ron Wyden of Oregon and Mark Udall of Colorado, have accused the Obama administration of using Section 215 for purposes not intended by Congress. Russ Feingold, then a Democratic senator for Wisconsin, raised similar alarms in 2009.

The senators know what the White House is up to because they were privy to secret testimony. But under Senate rules, they can't reveal what they learned. Thus they have demanded that the White House come clean with the public. "Americans would be alarmed if they knew how this law is being carried out," Udall is quoted as saying.

Julian Sanchez of the Cato Institute recently described section 215 in an interview with Salon, so:

"It allows investigators to get an order from the FISA court permitting them to compel the production of any tangible thing that is relevant to an investigation. It's pretty unlimited in scope. Any record or other thing that pertains to a suspected agent of a foreign power or someone in contact with them is under the law considered to be 'presumptively relevant'. That means the judge has no discretion to deny such requests. The records don't have to belong to anyone who is thought to be guilty of anything."

FISA, you may recall, is the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. At the height of the Bush years, the White House didn't even bother with the niceties of going to a FISA court before ordering wiretaps. But as Sanchez notes, the FISA provision isn't much more than a figleaf, anyway.

Which reminds me: the Obama justice department recently issued a subpoena ordering James Risen, one of the New York Times reporters who broke the story about the Bush administration's secret wiretaps, to reveal his confidential sources.

President Obama's approach to civil liberties has been similar to that of his predecessors: for them, when convenient; against them, when upholding our rights would interfere with his exercise of untrammelled executive power. Last year, ACLU executive director Anthony Romero pronounced himself "disgusted" with Obama's civil rights record.

George W Bush and Dick Cheney remain outliers because of their embrace of torture, secret rendition and the like. Otherwise, though, Obama fits into a long pattern of presidents whose actions on civil liberties are very different from their pious words.

Location hidden

#11 May 30, 2011
Every two to three years, Eddie Sales trims and prunes the crape myrtles at his church, Albemarle Road Presbyterian Church.

Cities have laws and fines are levied against those who break them.....suprise.

The city's refusal to let homeless residents occupy temporary housing provided by FEMA has sparked outrage in this central Alabama town.

Cities have zoning laws to protect the rights of it's citizens....suprise.

215 allows investigators to get an order from the FISA court permitting them to compel the production of any tangible thing that is relevant to an investigation.

Counties have laws to protect the citizens from terrorists.....suprise.

You seem suprised and outraged whenever a law is enforced to protect the rights of others. If not for laws and ability to enforce them, we would live in a lawless land. You would be complaining then as well I'm sure. You seem like a very unhappy person in that everything the local or federal officials do to protect the rights of average joe comes as a personal attack on you. Perhaps you should get involved rather then harping on Topix which really accomplishes nothing.

Location hidden

#12 May 30, 2011
Countries not counties....:)
I did

Melbourne, AR

#13 May 30, 2011
Maximus Gunshot wrote:
Cities have laws and fines are levied against those who break them.....suprise.
The city's refusal to let homeless residents occupy temporary housing provided by FEMA has sparked outrage in this central Alabama town.
Cities have zoning laws to protect the rights of it's citizens....suprise.
215 allows investigators to get an order from the FISA court permitting them to compel the production of any tangible thing that is relevant to an investigation.
Counties have laws to protect the citizens from terrorists.....suprise.
You seem suprised and outraged whenever a law is enforced to protect the rights of others. If not for laws and ability to enforce them, we would live in a lawless land. You would be complaining then as well I'm sure. You seem like a very unhappy person in that everything the local or federal officials do to protect the rights of average joe comes as a personal attack on you. Perhaps you should get involved rather then harping on Topix which really accomplishes nothing.
Perhaps you should get involved rather then harping on Topix which really accomplishes nothing.
By informing people on topix as to how far our liberties are being eroded I am getting involved.
A $4000 dollar fine for trimming a crepe myrtle by the owner on his own private property is not ok protects no one is a total indication that we are moving toward a police state.
Allowing a temporary fema trailer to house the homeless after a storm is the right thing. To say otherwise suggests you like living in a police state.

Location hidden

#14 May 30, 2011
I like living where there are laws to guide the average man and enforcement to back them up. Making exceptions may seem fine to you but where does it end? Obay the law of the land and no one gets fined or arrested. Flaunt the law because YOU think it applies to the other guy and pay the fine. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
I did

Melbourne, AR

#15 May 30, 2011
Maximus Gunshot wrote:
I like living where there are laws to guide the average man and enforcement to back them up. Making exceptions may seem fine to you but where does it end? Obay the law of the land and no one gets fined or arrested. Flaunt the law because YOU think it applies to the other guy and pay the fine. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
What crime was invovled by keeping a tornado victim homeless?
Laws have all too often become criminal by their very nature.
To force a tornado victim to be homelss just because is an example.
I did

Melbourne, AR

#16 May 30, 2011
On May 5 at around 9:30 a.m., several teams of Pima County, Ariz., police officers from at least four different police agencies armed with SWAT gear and an armored personnel carrier raided at least four homes as part of what at the time was described as an investigation into alleged marijuana trafficking. One of those homes belonged to 26-year-old Jose Guerena and his wife, Vanessa Guerena. The couple's 4-year-old son was also in the house at the time. Their 6-year-old son was at school.

As the SWAT team forced its way into his home, Guerena, a former Marine who served two tours of duty in Iraq, armed himself with his AR-15 rifle and told his wife and son to hide in a closet. As the officers entered, Guerena confronted them from the far end of a long, dark hallway. The police opened fire, releasing more than 70 rounds in about 7 seconds, at least 60 of which struck Guerena. He was pronounced dead a little over an hour later.

The Pima County Sheriff's Department initially claimed (PDF) Guerena fired his weapon at the SWAT team. They now acknowledge that not only did he not fire, the safety on his gun was still activated when he was killed. Guerena had no prior criminal record, and the police found nothing illegal in his home. After ushering out his wife and son, the police refused to allow paramedics to access Guerena for more than hour, leaving the young father to bleed to death, alone, in his own home.
Free Amercia again

Mountain Home, AR

#17 May 30, 2011
http://www.lewrockwell.com/

Wake UP Amercia!!!!!!!!!!
Free Amercia again

Mountain Home, AR

#18 May 30, 2011

Location hidden

#19 May 30, 2011
As the officers entered, Guerena confronted them with an loaded AR15 from the far end of a long, dark hallway.

Point an AR15 at a SWAT team and get shot....suprise.

And he was not left for one hour to bleed to death, he took 60 rounds and was most likely dead within 30 seconds to one minute from massive trauma and blood loss.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Thank you to our fine Police Officers for a job well done.

Location hidden

#20 May 30, 2011
To force a tornado victim to be homelss just because is an example.
There must not be Hotels in Alabama? I was sure I saw a few on my last pass through? If your homelees because FEMA can't give you a trailer....your homeless because your to stupid to go get some shelter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 27 min BARNEYII 30,427
FCSO Lets Rusty Hurtt Walk. 5 hr RLH 19
Destiny Gann 8 hr clhutson1992 2
ISIS in Fulton County? 13 hr Distant Relative 7
adam corchran Fri exbabymamadrama 25
Animal Shelter needed in Fulton Cty Thu Animal Lover 1
fake pds Thu getyousomeofthat 1
Salem Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Salem People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Salem News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Salem

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:58 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:58PM
Will the Philadelphia Eagles Miss the Playoffs?
NBC Sports 1:01 PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 3:16 PM
DeMarco Murray is determined to play
ESPN 7:36 AM
Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
NFL11:56 AM
DeMarco Murray plans to play for Cowboys vs. Colts