Why No Russell County School Today

Posted in the Russell Springs Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Look

Russell Springs, KY

#1 Feb 6, 2008
It is 59 degress outside and the superintendant calls school off because we had a rainstorm last night especially with no area wide damage ? So that is a reason for schoool employees to go shopping today with full pay ? Isn't something wrong here ? Why should school employees be compensated when they perform no work on days school is called off ?
bernie lomax

Glasgow, KY

#2 Feb 6, 2008
its russell county
flintstone vitamins

Jamestown, KY

#3 Feb 6, 2008
are you sure it isnt for sickness? That is why alot of schools are closed.
what

Russell Springs, KY

#4 Feb 6, 2008
Look wrote:
It is 59 degress outside and the superintendant calls school off because we had a rainstorm last night especially with no area wide damage ? So that is a reason for schoool employees to go shopping today with full pay ? Isn't something wrong here ? Why should school employees be compensated when they perform no work on days school is called off ?
Next week it will be because of some bug going around and don't forget next month a week off for spring break to recover from those two weeks they got off at Christmas.
oh my

Russell Springs, KY

#6 Feb 6, 2008
Look wrote:
It is 59 degress outside and the superintendant calls school off because we had a rainstorm last night especially with no area wide damage ? So that is a reason for schoool employees to go shopping today with full pay ? Isn't something wrong here ? Why should school employees be compensated when they perform no work on days school is called off ?
well could it be the possibility that we were under Tornado warnings until 4 am this morning. Think about the many children, parents and teachers that were up all night. That could be the possibility why there wasn't any school.
curious

Russell Springs, KY

#7 Feb 6, 2008
flintstone vitamins wrote:
are you sure it isnt for sickness? That is why alot of schools are closed.
Local radio said because of the weather. What weather, it's beautiful outside ?
Post Here

Russell Springs, KY

#8 Feb 6, 2008
Look wrote:
It is 59 degress outside and the superintendant calls school off because we had a rainstorm last night especially with no area wide damage ? So that is a reason for schoool employees to go shopping today with full pay ? Isn't something wrong here ? Why should school employees be compensated when they perform no work on days school is called off ?
You must be a pissed off parent who has to put up with your own brats today. I knew when I heard the news this morning that there would be parents who use the school system as a babysitter pissed off!
citizen

Russell Springs, KY

#9 Feb 6, 2008
Alot of roads were flooded. also sickness. A lot of counties are closed. Don't be so quick to judge.A lot of kids drive and they have to consider thier risk to. Probally more counties are closed than open
Alexandria

Jamestown, KY

#11 Feb 6, 2008
I have to say, after the sleepless night I had last night with the tornado warnings- I am glad the kiddos had the day off.
citizen

Russell Springs, KY

#12 Feb 6, 2008
Some counties that had school have already sent the chilren back, and I went out this morning and actually some of the teachers are at school.
yep

Russell Springs, KY

#15 Feb 6, 2008
Before I changed degrees in college, I was going to go into education. Don't for one second think that those men and women get paid half of what they deserve! If my son was in school (hes only 2 months), I wouldn't want him to go on a day like this either! There's too much of a risk. Use your brain...and please don't judge those that give so much to your children.
surprised more every day

Russell Springs, KY

#16 Feb 6, 2008
yep wrote:
Before I changed degrees in college, I was going to go into education. Don't for one second think that those men and women get paid half of what they deserve! If my son was in school (hes only 2 months), I wouldn't want him to go on a day like this either! There's too much of a risk. Use your brain...and please don't judge those that give so much to your children.
And now we get to the root of the problem - and it didn't take very long. People get upset over the amount of tax $$$ paid for the benefit received. The complaints have little to do with whether there should have been school or not.

I think it depends on what your opinion is of the teachers you had in school and the opinion of the teachers your kids have now. There are a few, very dedicated individuals in the school system who genuinely want to teach their students something. My son has one right now that is outstanding. But, there are very few from my personal observation. Most of the best ones seem to be found in the lower grades.

Like ANY profession, there are some who couldn't care less. Their goals are to 1. draw a check; 2. do the absolute minimum required to draw that check; 3. get four months off a year and continue to draw the check; 4. finally retire at an early age so they can stay home the other eight months and ...(you guess).

Maybe the good ones aren't getting paid half what they deserve, as you say. That's up to your personal interpretation of value for the job performed. But those individuals who show up to just put in their time aren't worth half of what we're actually paying them. After all, can you truly be called a "teacher" if you don't actually "teach" somebody something?

The bad apples spoil the bunch, and people complain. But at least everyone is happy with the athletic coaches, school board, superintendent and new construction projects - oh yeah, I forgot.
yep

Russell Springs, KY

#17 Feb 6, 2008
surprised more every day wrote:
<quoted text>
And now we get to the root of the problem - and it didn't take very long. People get upset over the amount of tax $$$ paid for the benefit received. The complaints have little to do with whether there should have been school or not.
I think it depends on what your opinion is of the teachers you had in school and the opinion of the teachers your kids have now. There are a few, very dedicated individuals in the school system who genuinely want to teach their students something. My son has one right now that is outstanding. But, there are very few from my personal observation. Most of the best ones seem to be found in the lower grades.
Like ANY profession, there are some who couldn't care less. Their goals are to 1. draw a check; 2. do the absolute minimum required to draw that check; 3. get four months off a year and continue to draw the check; 4. finally retire at an early age so they can stay home the other eight months and ...(you guess).
Maybe the good ones aren't getting paid half what they deserve, as you say. That's up to your personal interpretation of value for the job performed. But those individuals who show up to just put in their time aren't worth half of what we're actually paying them. After all, can you truly be called a "teacher" if you don't actually "teach" somebody something?
The bad apples spoil the bunch, and people complain. But at least everyone is happy with the athletic coaches, school board, superintendent and new construction projects - oh yeah, I forgot.
lol! I agree. I forgot to add the tidbit about true teachers vs. those that get by just to get paid.

But, I had some really great teachers in high school (not such good ones in middle school), so my opinion was based on that and on the professors I had in college (which of course doesn't apply here, because they wouldn't be doing what they were doing if they did it for the money).

Good post!
Goose Creek Bridge

Russell Springs, KY

#19 Feb 6, 2008
Go Figure wrote:
Reason #712 to vote Republican and find a way to GET RID OF the Teachers Unions!!!
Union & the Dems (because they are beholden to the union) are VERY much against paying Teachers on a merit basis.
Imagine that - paying the good ones more - the bad ones less or dismissing. NOT ALLOWED!!
But retirement - takes many years
Teachers' pay is a state and local issue. There is no true teachers union in KY. There is the Kentucky Education Association, but the state government does not consider it to be a union, nor has the state government ever negotiated with KEA. That is true of Republicans and Democrats alike. I didn't go into teaching because 1.) The money is short 2.) Kids today are not generally respectful to teachers or any of their elders. I blame this on our screwed up modern societal standards, and bad parenting. I can't put up with brats 3.) Too much work 4.) Cafeteria Food

My kids had EXCELLENT teachers in grade school. Pretty good in MS and HS as well, but its generally the kids who change in middle school and high school, not the dedication of the teachers.
Taxpayer

Russell Springs, KY

#20 Feb 6, 2008
Go Figure wrote:
Reason #712 to vote Republican and find a way to GET RID OF the Teachers Unions!!!
Union & the Dems (because they are beholden to the union) are VERY much against paying Teachers on a merit basis.
Imagine that - paying the good ones more - the bad ones less or dismissing. NOT ALLOWED!!
But retirement - takes many years
Teachers retirement eligibility should be based on total years of age added to total number years of school system service together to equal at least 70 years !
u betcha

Russell Springs, KY

#21 Feb 6, 2008
I bet a hundred bucks "taxpayer" ain't paid any taxes his whole life. Just sits and whines about people who had to go to college for six years to get a very hard job of trying to teach and (be all things) to a lot of negelected kids.
hopeful

Russell Springs, KY

#22 Feb 6, 2008
I'm sorry for interrupting. I will use my kid for a example. He is a smart kid, he does all of his homework & does it correctly. Then goes to school, comes home with papers saying,(He is having a problem with the same homework that he is doing at home). That tells me that the teacher isn't doing there job. Sounds like they have more play time, than working.What is our teachers doing today for school work (CROSS-WORD-PUZZLES) Parents wants to know. That's what we pay them for, to be truthfull it's starting to pi$$ me off.
Goodness

Campbellsville, KY

#23 Feb 6, 2008
Look wrote:
It is 59 degress outside and the superintendant calls school off because we had a rainstorm last night especially with no area wide damage ? So that is a reason for schoool employees to go shopping today with full pay ? Isn't something wrong here ? Why should school employees be compensated when they perform no work on days school is called off ?
Umm, my dear, I think we had more than a rainstorm last nite. There were numerous tornadoes in the area. You obviously care about no one but yourself. Im sure 95% of the county stayed up all nite long waiting out the storm. Us kids wasnt capable of going to school...and I very seriously doubt you would want to go to work after staying up all nite. Thank you!
GO Figure

Russell Springs, KY

#24 Feb 6, 2008
Nationally - the Teachers Association -(you are right there is NO union)
Is incredibly strong - they set the standards for all - including KY.

They support the Dems ONLY and the Dems do what they are told by them.

The real waste in schools is all the money spent in administration - payroll, expenses, percs, etc.

How many "Made Up" jobs in RC? What is Coach Johnson doing these days? Who will be running this new Pool Complex they are building? Bet it won't be someone that is well qualified and trained - rather Someone in the Family, regardless of qualifications.
Taxpayer

Russell Springs, KY

#25 Feb 6, 2008
u betcha wrote:
I bet a hundred bucks "taxpayer" ain't paid any taxes his whole life. Just sits and whines about people who had to go to college for six years to get a very hard job of trying to teach and (be all things) to a lot of negelected kids.
I went to college year round( including summer sessions) for 3 years and graduated with a double major BA degree a year early.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr ChromiuMan 131,393
election 11 hr lesser oftwoevils 23
Lost Orange Tabby Kitten 13 hr JaneDoe 1
PremierTox (Feb '14) 15 hr peepee 16
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 20 hr BIG_STEVIE 494
Debate: Gay Marriage - Russell Springs, KY (Jul '10) Oct 18 Brian_G 33,944
RS City Council Pay Raise Oct 15 Tell me 49
Russell Springs Dating
Find my Match

Russell Springs Jobs

Russell Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Russell Springs News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Russell Springs

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]