CHILDREN HAVING CHILDREN: A Special Report

Posted in the Russell Springs Forum

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
TheTJ

Russell Springs, KY

#1 Apr 3, 2008
There are as many as 25 teen-aged girls who are pregnant in Russell County public schools (Jamestown, Russell Springs) as these articles are published. In surrounding counties, there are a total of 39 pregnant teens in public schools. In Adair County (Columbia) there are three pregnant teenagers, Casey County (Liberty) has 11 including four in middle school, and Wayne County (Monticello) also has 25 pregnant teens.

One girl at RCHS has had one child and is expecting another just after she turns 17 years old. Another RCHS student, who is also pregnant, said it is an accepted thing among her peers for a child to have a baby.

The youngest child we've been told is pregnant in the county at this time is 12 years old.

To examine this, the Times Journal has embarked on a special project, a compilation of stories interviewing the young mothers and the people who follow this trend and attempt to provide services to the girls.

Read it online at russellcounty.net
teen mama

Jamestown, KY

#2 Apr 3, 2008
TheTJ wrote:
There are as many as 25 teen-aged girls who are pregnant in Russell County public schools (Jamestown, Russell Springs) as these articles are published. In surrounding counties, there are a total of 39 pregnant teens in public schools. In Adair County (Columbia) there are three pregnant teenagers, Casey County (Liberty) has 11 including four in middle school, and Wayne County (Monticello) also has 25 pregnant teens.
One girl at RCHS has had one child and is expecting another just after she turns 17 years old. Another RCHS student, who is also pregnant, said it is an accepted thing among her peers for a child to have a baby.
The youngest child we've been told is pregnant in the county at this time is 12 years old.
To examine this, the Times Journal has embarked on a special project, a compilation of stories interviewing the young mothers and the people who follow this trend and attempt to provide services to the girls.
Who care's how many girls are pregnant, unless is somehow affects you it is none of anyones buisness.
its sad

Elizabethtown, KY

#4 Apr 3, 2008
Its affecting everyone because you girls are doing nothing but causing more problems for your parents. I'll bet anything that the biggest part if these girls that are pregnant will not be the one that will be raising the child..It will be the grandparents. Grandparents have no time to enjoy their lives alone and just have grandchildren over on holidays or weekends. This is proof that this world has changed so much...Poor Grandparents I feel so sorry for them.

“OUCH”

Since: Mar 07

Russell Springs, KY

#5 Apr 3, 2008
teen mama wrote:
<quoted text>
Who care's how many girls are pregnant, unless is somehow affects you it is none of anyones buisness.
I beg to differ dear,it is my business if we the tax payer has to pay for food,health care,and home for you and your children..Have you ever heard, use a condom?If you cannot afford what I've stated, keep your legs closed..thank you..:)
teen mama

Jamestown, KY

#6 Apr 3, 2008
its sad wrote:
Its affecting everyone because you girls are doing nothing but causing more problems for your parents. I'll bet anything that the biggest part if these girls that are pregnant will not be the one that will be raising the child..It will be the grandparents.
Not all of us girls put our kids off on someone else. I don't and I know plenty of others who do not either. You shouldn't blame everyone for something a few have done.
teen mama

Jamestown, KY

#7 Apr 3, 2008
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ dear,it is my business if we the tax payer has to pay for food,health care,and home for you and your children..Have you ever heard, use a condom?If you cannot afford what I've stated, keep your legs closed..thank you..:)
I am tired of heraing about the tax payers, you have to make a certain ammount of money before any of your taxes goes to help support a child. I am not sure exactly how much you have to make before you count but it is a pretty big ammount. And guess what I pay taxes to.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#8 Apr 3, 2008
teen mama wrote:
<quoted text>
I am tired of heraing about the tax payers, you have to make a certain ammount of money before any of your taxes goes to help support a child. I am not sure exactly how much you have to make before you count but it is a pretty big ammount. And guess what I pay taxes to.
Don't care if your tired of hearing the truth or not..taxes are put together,everyone pays dear..you said it was no ones business,it is ,if your on assistance..
teen mama

Jamestown, KY

#9 Apr 3, 2008
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't care if your tired of hearing the truth or not..taxes are put together,everyone pays dear..you said it was no ones business,it is ,if your on assistance..
Haven't I read on here somewhere that when you said you was retired. Almost all the ederly recieve assistance and no one trashes them they would rather trash an innocent child. I do get a medical card on my child, that is the only assistance I recieve. And remember tax dollars keep up the ederly.
concerned taxpayer

Russell Springs, KY

#10 Apr 3, 2008
The elderly do pay taxes if they are in certain brackets adn we all pay sales tax. Those of us that are working pay taxes so that many of you can receive a medical card to pay for your medical expenses & the child. It pays for you to receive WIC so that you can feed your child. If you go to work or school & get baby sitting funded by the state, it pays for your child care as well. Every program you qualify for is backed by tax payer dollars.
Many of these young teens become pregnant so that they can just have someone to love or love them back. How sad!
What happened to our morals? What happened to dating while still a child yourself? What happened to finding the right spouse to share your life with and then starting a family.
If you think that pregnant teens aren't our business you are sadly mistaken. It is our business, we are funding you.

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#12 Apr 3, 2008
teen mama wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't I read on here somewhere that when you said you was retired. Almost all the ederly recieve assistance and no one trashes them they would rather trash an innocent child. I do get a medical card on my child, that is the only assistance I recieve. And remember tax dollars keep up the ederly.
Yep..I'm retired I worked 40 years dear,give me a break..my husband still works dear..I can get my ss check next year..probably won't I'm going to wait till I'm 65 if I can..I PUT IN all the money I will receive..in other words,the money I will receive is really mine..I put it in the system for 40 years..:)That could be the reason,no one trashes retired people..No one is trashing a child dear.I was just stating it is the tax payers business if you get any assistance..that's all..your the one that said it was no ones business..or nothing would have been said to you..
LMAO

Russell Springs, KY

#14 Apr 3, 2008
its sad wrote:
Its affecting everyone because you girls are doing nothing but causing more problems for your parents. I'll bet anything that the biggest part if these girls that are pregnant will not be the one that will be raising the child..It will be the grandparents. Grandparents have no time to enjoy their lives alone and just have grandchildren over on holidays or weekends. This is proof that this world has changed so much...Poor Grandparents I feel so sorry for them.
This is true, but why aren't their parents watching them? How can these kids get out of the house and have sex. People need to keep their kids home. This is rediculous, it's the parent's fault for giving the kids too much free time. Make them rake leaves, or clean their rooms. Don't let them out.
what i think

Russell Springs, KY

#15 Apr 3, 2008
well i think that when girls under 16 get pregnant that social service needs to do an investigation into the parents home and see how many parents really allow this to happen...i live in jamestown and where i live there are a few teenage girls pregnant and the youngest is 14... the parents to these girls know it is going on and dont do a thing to try and control it...parents need to start being parents and stop letting the children run everything....just my 2cents and it isnt much....
no excuse

Russell Springs, KY

#16 Apr 3, 2008
No excuse.Birth control is free @health dept.I know,because my daughter works there.
citizen

Jamestown, KY

#17 Apr 3, 2008
teen mama wrote:
<quoted text>
we can complain because its our tax dollars paying for you having your fun.
citizen

Jamestown, KY

#18 Apr 3, 2008
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
right!

“OUCH”

Russell Springs, KY

#19 Apr 3, 2008
no excuse wrote:
No excuse.Birth control is free @health dept.I know,because my daughter works there.
Question..is birth control free to underage kids,without a parents consent?
what

Russell Springs, KY

#20 Apr 3, 2008
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true, but why aren't their parents watching them? How can these kids get out of the house and have sex. People need to keep their kids home. This is rediculous, it's the parent's fault for giving the kids too much free time. Make them rake leaves, or clean their rooms. Don't let them out.
Your dumb...im sure you was out whorei ng around when you were a teenager...so shut the hell up
who

Russell Springs, KY

#21 Apr 3, 2008
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank-you that is so smart.
nameless

Russell Springs, KY

#22 Apr 3, 2008
TheTJ wrote:
I'm just going out on a limb here, but maybe it's because we don't offer our youth anything in Russell County. There's nothing to do here in Russell County, when you go on a date, but screw. I'm 30-something now, but when I was dating, there was nothing to do but go parking, occassionally drink some beer, but ALWAYS screw. We (in those days) could go and see a movie, but after you'd seen the movie there was nothing to do for the next several weekend while the same movies played. I don't know the answer as to "why" our youth end up preggers in RC, but the lack of activities we offer them could be one answer. Also, practically everyone in RC is brought up in church and we're taught that premarital sex is wrong, but then one of the youth in the church get pregnant, we go to her and pray for her as she weeps and then we throw a huge baby shower (in the church mind you) and act as if its nothing to be ashamed of.

If we, and I'm including myself, were not such hypocrites, then maybe people could be more open and talk about the affects of having sex while in our teenage years. My parents never talked to me about sex. It's something that was brushed under a rug and never discussed. When I became curious, I went out and explored on my own. I think that's what happening to our youth today (they are going out and exploring on their own).
head

Campbellsville, KY

#23 Apr 3, 2008
some parents let there teen boyfriends stay over night, looks good on the parents doesnt?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russell Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Known Fact 132,123
Patricia 6 hr haha 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Russell Springs, KY (Jul '10) 11 hr Brian_G 34,501
Best Russell County Christmas Lights Tue spresso 3
looking for broken flat screens,ipods,ps3 (Mar '11) Mon Jennifer 28
old men and long finger nails Dec 22 my2cents 4
Lost items at intersection at franklin chvy an... Dec 20 Suede 1
Russell Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web