Grocery Store for New Downtown

Posted in the Romeoville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Princess

Romeoville, IL

#1 Oct 31, 2013
Has anyone heard anything about a grocery store for our new downtown?
With Dominicks leaving, a grocery store seems more important for those of us on the east side of town.
East Side Resident

Romeoville, IL

#2 Oct 31, 2013
No, I've not heard anything about a grocery store for this area. It' a shame.
Get a Clue Princess

Plainfield, IL

#3 Oct 31, 2013
Princess - You are always going on here and complaining about something that you know nothing about because you don't do any homework first. All you do is stir up nonsense. It has been made clear time and time again that a large grocery store is never going to go on that stretch of 53. There are already two smaller groceries in the area. There simply isn't enough population for any large grocery to locate there. This has all been pointed out many times now.

Dominick's is leaving the entire metropolitan area! Why? because there is too much competition in the grocery store industry. The industry makes the decision where they go and they aren't going to that part of Rt 53. The Dominick's site will most likely be a different grocery store soon enough. Why? because its already built to be a grocery store so its cheaper to put another grocery in there. Its also a fairly recent building that was well kept and had been maintained over the years so there isn't much work that needs to be done to keep it a grocery store. This means any grocery even remotely thinking of coming to the area will go to the Dominick's site.

The other thing you keep missing is that the community has said they have a smaller neighborhood type grocery interested in going on 53. It's NOT going to be a big super grocery which is what every major grocery builds today. Its going to be what the area can actually support. That means there will be at least three smaller groceries on that part of 53, plus the fact that walgreens offers some selection, plus the fact that the 7-eleven offers some selection.

And before someone on here says that there should be a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods or a Mariano's or any of those... realize all of those groceries look for areas with many more residents that have an average income almost twice that of that area. So its not happening.

Most people on Rt 53 are no further from a grocery than the average American. Stop expecting something that isn't realistic.
High Rd

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 31, 2013
Thank you "get a clue" its time someone just laid out the facts. A major grocery story isn't going on Rt. 53.
Spartan Pride

Bolingbrook, IL

#5 Nov 1, 2013
Well said Get a Clue Princess! I could not agree more.
whats your point

United States

#6 Nov 1, 2013
Get a Clue Princess wrote:
Princess - You are always going on here and complaining about something that you know nothing about because you don't do any homework first. All you do is stir up nonsense. It has been made clear time and time again that a large grocery store is never going to go on that stretch of 53. There are already two smaller groceries in the area. There simply isn't enough population for any large grocery to locate there. This has all been pointed out many times now.
Dominick's is leaving the entire metropolitan area! Why? because there is too much competition in the grocery store industry. The industry makes the decision where they go and they aren't going to that part of Rt 53. The Dominick's site will most likely be a different grocery store soon enough. Why? because its already built to be a grocery store so its cheaper to put another grocery in there. Its also a fairly recent building that was well kept and had been maintained over the years so there isn't much work that needs to be done to keep it a grocery store. This means any grocery even remotely thinking of coming to the area will go to the Dominick's site.
The other thing you keep missing is that the community has said they have a smaller neighborhood type grocery interested in going on 53. It's NOT going to be a big super grocery which is what every major grocery builds today. Its going to be what the area can actually support. That means there will be at least three smaller groceries on that part of 53, plus the fact that walgreens offers some selection, plus the fact that the 7-eleven offers some selection.
And before someone on here says that there should be a Trader Joes or a Whole Foods or a Mariano's or any of those... realize all of those groceries look for areas with many more residents that have an average income almost twice that of that area. So its not happening.
Most people on Rt 53 are no further from a grocery than the average American. Stop expecting something that isn't realistic.
on that stretch you also have the Supermercado behind nicks bbq who has a good selection of everything and cheap. great place to buy food, another one is down by the dollar store.. i agree with you get a clue, some people dont do their research before going on Topix
eastside guy

Romeoville, IL

#7 Nov 2, 2013
Excuse me, but not really sure who is determining there isn't enough residency for a "big" grocery store on this side of town.

I, for one, am pretty sick of having to drive all the way to the south side of town - Weber and Taylor - or take my tax dollars to other communities because I can't just drop in to a store right around the corner on my way home like some on the west side of town.

It stinks! And, frankly, there are many of us on "this" side of Weber that are getting a little tired of the excuses for why we won't be getting a grocery store, especially since we were led to believe there would be one...and not some little no-name place.

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/16090147-...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-19...
its called the market

Plainfield, IL

#8 Nov 3, 2013
Its the industry and the market that determine where a store will go. Guess what the larger stores aren't going there.

No one said there was going to be a major grocery there. Just a grocery of some size. This has been made clear for a long time.
Store Front

Naperville, IL

#9 Nov 3, 2013
And, let's be realistic here...

Do you HONESTLY think a large chain grocery store is going to fit ANYWHERE in that downtown area right now?

They would have to get rid of a lot of the other retailers there just to fit one in,

Yes, the Athletics and Convention Center takes up A LOT of space. So, don't get your hopes up when it comes to getting a big-box grocery store there.

There is no room. End of story.

Move along.
Bag O Whack

Bolingbrook, IL

#10 Nov 3, 2013
Wal Mart is trying to buy the last piece of land so they can start constructing a Super Wal Mart Food Center.
Their plan design is a large "L" shape going around the new aquatic center building. They have commitments from the owners of the field property by Chase Bank, the car wash, 7-11, Lost Acres and Dairy Queen. The lone hold out at this time is Shell.
They also plan on a small ice cream shop going in where the little fireworks stand would be in the old out lot by Subway. They are going to serve cotton candy and ice cream in the summer but hope to get plans approved for adding a small ice rink in the winter months and will serve hot chocolate with marshmallows.
Its going to be wonderful when done, they have already approved a clown passing out balloon animals to the kids who visit with an adult over 18 years of age. I cant wait !
Princess

Romeoville, IL

#11 Nov 4, 2013
Get a clue: I am very flattered that you monitor my postings on topix. Evidently you don’t keep involved in local politics or else you would be aware that the village wants a grocery store as much as the people on the east side of Romeoville. See the articles that were posted by East Side Guy. Thank you East Side. We need more residents of your ilk to keep the positive side of Romeoville in motion. I am not sure if Bag O Whack's comments about a Wal Mart center are true or just fictitious. Plus get a clue: I never mentioned the size of the store just a grocery store.
oh god

Crest Hill, IL

#12 Nov 4, 2013
East side Joliet soon
Bear

Romeoville, IL

#13 Nov 4, 2013
What does that mean?
Fred

Romeoville, IL

#14 Nov 5, 2013
"on that stretch you also have the Supermercado behind nicks bbq who has a good selection of everything and cheap. great place to buy food, another one is down by the dollar store."

Frankly never heard of either of these. I have seen that tiny building behind Nicks and frankly I would never shop there. 7-11 and WH Pantry are over priced.

There is still plenty of space along 53. Just as they did with Spartan Square, raze all of those eyesore businesses from Nicks to just about Montrose Ave. You would have acres of land to build a good sized mall.

Sure it would cost jobs, but in the long run more jobs would be created and increased sales tax revenue would occur.

As for groceries, I shop at Meijer in Bolingbrook. Better selection than other grocery stores and lower prices than Jewel. The Romeoville Walmart is a joke. Hardly any registers open, no self checkouts are ever open and long lines at the registers.

Now if a big grocery store were to open along 53 I would shop there, until then Bolingbrook gets my tax revenue.
Bill

Romeoville, IL

#15 Nov 5, 2013
There actually is a grocery store planned for the new downtown. It will be owned and operated by the owner of Fat Ricky's. It was in the local paper about six months ago. They should be starting construction soon.
peter poppoff

Romeoville, IL

#16 Nov 13, 2013
Bag O Whack wrote:
Wal Mart is trying to buy the last piece of land so they can start constructing a Super Wal Mart Food Center.
Their plan design is a large "L" shape going around the new aquatic center building. They have commitments from the owners of the field property by Chase Bank, the car wash, 7-11, Lost Acres and Dairy Queen. The lone hold out at this time is Shell.
They also plan on a small ice cream shop going in where the little fireworks stand would be in the old out lot by Subway. They are going to serve cotton candy and ice cream in the summer but hope to get plans approved for adding a small ice rink in the winter months and will serve hot chocolate with marshmallows.
Its going to be wonderful when done, they have already approved a clown passing out balloon animals to the kids who visit with an adult over 18 years of age. I cant wait !
you guys are dumb. A trader joes is coming. Read'

The Spartans’ Square redevelopment ultimately will include a 23,000-square-foot grocery store and two more outlots for retail and/or restaurants. Noak said the grocery store would be a type of smaller independent-style store that is gaining popularity with consumers such as Trader Joes.

Village officials are aggressively pursuing deals to fill the grocery opening, the outlots and the Crazy Rock site, he added.
old romeoville resident

Naperville, IL

#17 Nov 14, 2013
When I lived in Romeoville, I found RT53 from Normantown to 135th street very dull and blah.
This was between 2000 and 2006.

I never understood why someone would put money into an area that is industrialized on east side of rt53, and old neighborhood on west side of rt53. This is also an area where "OLDER" residents live, meaning LESS NEEDS and LESS SPENDING.

I had definitely found Dominick's on Weber and Romeo Rd more fitting since it was down the street for all new families moving in. Since Romeoville population is scattered along Weber Rd, and has gaps all over, there is no good location for another store to open.
Jewel made the right call to open at Taylor and Weber, perfect fit for the hundreds of homes surrounding it.

On a side note, when driving through Lakeside and Neumann Home subdivisions, the upkeep has deteriorated drastically in last 10 years. If the homeowners do not have money to upkeep their homes, are you going to indulge in some higher end grocery store?
peter poppoff

United States

#18 Nov 14, 2013
old romeoville resident wrote:
When I lived in Romeoville, I found RT53 from Normantown to 135th street very dull and blah.
This was between 2000 and 2006.

I never understood why someone would put money into an area that is industrialized on east side of rt53, and old neighborhood on west side of rt53. This is also an area where "OLDER" residents live, meaning LESS NEEDS and LESS SPENDING.

I had definitely found Dominick's on Weber and Romeo Rd more fitting since it was down the street for all new families moving in. Since Romeoville population is scattered along Weber Rd, and has gaps all over, there is no good location for another store to open.
Jewel made the right call to open at Taylor and Weber, perfect fit for the hundreds of homes surrounding it.

On a side note, when driving through Lakeside and Neumann Home subdivisions, the upkeep has deteriorated drastically in last 10 years. If the homeowners do not have money to upkeep their homes, are you going to indulge in some higher end grocery store?
You shall not pass !!!!!!!
mike staeres

United States

#19 Nov 20, 2013
peter poppoff wrote:
<quoted text>You shall not pass !!!!!!!
Just heard from Kenny Bernstein. It's coming. The store will go up where the mosque is going. Cool beans.
teddy

Romeoville, IL

#20 Nov 23, 2013
mike staeres wrote:
<quoted text>Just heard from Kenny Bernstein. It's coming. The store will go up where the mosque is going. Cool beans.
Enough. There is a store coming but it's small. Terrence mentioned at the last meeting a trader joes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Romeoville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KKK vs Anonymous Cyberwar 14 min Orca 7
Obama the Dicktator 22 min Orca 16
It Sure Was Nice While Sharky Was Gone 30 min really 2
Turner Brags He's Anti-Development 32 min Turner Bankruptcy 40
NEW LENOX going to the crapper (Dec '11) 41 min Four More Years 50
Benghazi!!!!!!!!!! 42 min Four More Years 25
Koch, Soros, And False Equivalency 49 min You know 34
Romeoville Dating
Find my Match

Romeoville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Romeoville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Romeoville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:30 pm PST

NFL 1:30PM
Colt McCoy 'pushing' Robert Griffin III, Gruden says
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Colts' Week 12 Preview vs. Jags
NBC Sports 9:51 AM
Colts cut return man Griff Whalen, sign RB Zurlon Tipton
NFL10:14 AM
Colts promote Zurlon Tipton, waive Griff Whalen
NBC Sports 4:12 PM
Week 12 skill-position injury report — final