1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jun 9, 2012
Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

It is people like this that give the welfare system a bad name. I can see being on welfare after loosing your job or something bad happening but not to be on it your whole life. I am so sick of my tax dollars going to pay for these scumbags bills. Get off of Topix and get a real job
Featured Business
Utica ApartmentsUtica AttorneysUtica Auto DealersUtica Auto PartsUtica Auto RepairUtica Beauty SalonsUtica Car RentalUtica DentistsUtica DoctorsUtica FlowersUtica HotelsUtica InsuranceUtica LoansUtica MortgagesUtica MoversUtica PizzaUtica RealtorsUtica RestaurantsUtica StorageUtica Tax PreparationUtica Travel.By ANGELICA A. MORRISON
Observer-Dispatch
Posted Sep 21, 2007 @ 11:23 PM
Last update Sep 22, 2007 @ 10:01 AM
UTICA - A case this week involving charges of welfare fraud and related counts against 58 people is the largest Oneida County has seen recently, officials said Friday.
FACING CHARGES
Debra Lindsey, 49, Lenox Avenue,Utica.
Scott Fyfe, 35, Richardson Avenue, Utica.
Melissa LaPlante, 29, Brinckerhoff Avenue, Utica.
Kerry Townsend, 33, Stafford Avenue, Waterville.
Meegan Garnsey, 30, Green Street, Utica.
Holly Evanciew, 22, Lenox Avenue, Utica.
Pamela Bulger, 43, Moran Post Road, Camden.
John Thomas, 27, Herkimer Road, Utica.
Joanne Clawson, 42, Soule Road, Holland Patent.
Michael Amond, 23, Baker Avenue, Utica.
Alan Spangeburg, Beach Road, Cleveland.
Refik Kazaferovic, 46, Steele Place, Utica.
Joann Vivacqua, 58, Herkimer Road, Utica.
Pamela Brown, 51, Francis Street, Utica.
Stacie Hepburn, 44, Whitesboro Street, Utica.
Joseph Leone, 58, Pearl Street, New Hartford.
Cyndi Wilson, 38, Broad Street, Oriskany Falls.
James Wilson, 43, S. Main Street, Oriskany Falls.
Bridget Allen, 46, Bull Road, Utica.
Jose Vasquez, 41, Blandina Street, Utica.
Tai Wilson, 26, E. Dominick Street, Rome.
Stephen Roberts, 51, Bunker Avenue, Yorkville.
Hamin Beyeh, 55, Howard Avenue, Utica.
Oare Smith, 36, Howard Avenue, Utica.
Nelida Rodriquez, 26, Boyce Avenue, Utica.
Patricia Croniser, 27, Deeley Avenue, Blossvale.
Clinton Borden, 59, Tudman Road, Westmoreland.
Dawn Andrews, 35, Division Street, Forestport.
Edmund LaBuz, 44, Kriswood Lane, Rome.
Monique Greene, 35, Schuyler Street, Utica.
Kimberly Kelsey, 35, Post Street, Boonville.
Ida Cook, 47, Baker Avenue, Utica.
Taheerah Warmack, 30, Aiken Street, Utica.
Randa Aiken, 46, Henry Street, Utica.
Donna Brandon, 34, Auburn Avenue, Utica.
Marc Bristol, 24, Clementian Street,Utica.
Jessica Stolo, 25, Smith Street, Hinckley.
Luis Rivera, 27, Oswego Street, Utica.
Investigators found many of the individuals lied about their incomes and other personal information in order to get more public assistance, authorities said.
Total amount of public aid taken:$323,000.
Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

The arrests show that some people try to rip off the public assistance system, but it's not indicative of the behavior of most low-income individuals, said Lucille Soldato, who is Oneida County's social services commissioner.
"The majority of people who receive any type of assistance are legitimately receiving assistance," Soldato said. "It's always a few bad apples, whether you're talking a government assistance program or anything else."
The charges against 58 people represent just a fraction of all public-assistance cases. As of July, the Oneida County Department of Social Services has handled:
* 2,109 temporary cash assistance cases.
* 10,686 food stamp cases.
* 24,165 Medicaid cases.
Of the 58 charged, 38 were arrested, and officials are still looking for the remaining 20, Oneida County District Attorney Scott D. McNamara said.
The investigation, called a Welfare and Unemployment Fraud Sweep, began four months ago, he said. The last times a similar investigation took place were last winter and late last year. Each time, about 15 people were charged.
"This is significantly larger than we have done recently, because that's what we're directing our attention to," McNamara said of the latest case.
The dollar amount for the offenses committed is estimated at $323,059.75, he said. Restitution will be sought during the prosecution of these matters, he said.
"It's not an exact number," he said. "We included only the amounts we feel we can prove."
The 58 people face charges including:
* Third-degree grand larceny, a felony.
* Fourth-degree grand larceny, a felony.
* Fifth-degree welfare fraud, a misdemeanor.
* Misuse of food stamps, a misdemeanor.
* Unlawfully receiving public assistance, a misdemeanor.
McNamara said the county is seeking restitution, and those charged are required to appear in court.
The O-D made attempts to contact a few of the individuals charged, but received no responses.
According to the information the District Attorney's Office provided, members in the group committed forms of fraud that included failing to declare:
* Wages from employment.
* Sources of other income such as child support, disability benefits and unemployment benefits.
* Household composition.
anon1

Canton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Tai Wilson, 26, E. Dominick Street, Rome.

Only 1 from Rome (so far), I'm surprised. Congrats Tai Wilson, you welfare scum!
SERIOUSLY

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

that is so messed up! some people really need help and cant get it because they are so backed up at the offices... SO annoying.
Kalenna

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

must be nice holly for my tax dollors to support you. wow and you sit there and steal my name and try to be on here bec everyone sees through you wow
My toe hurts

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2012

Gosh u people!!! And omg what a coincidence i just read something about u kalenna and u were in the convo too!!
lol

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2012

what about the nasty scum bags sittin behind the desk at the rome welfare office like the case worker corinne wallace who gets food stamps herself talk about screwing the system she blowing her way to the top
How

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2012

How about the welfare couple who receive over 100,000 in government subsidies to live on for 3years, and now they get a job or come across alot of money, dont have to pay anything back but they could be millionaires and not pay anything back, scumbags
captain howdy

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2012

we hate wellies!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
holmes rd 5 min shes a loser 2
route 46 9 min shes a loser 2
lee valley rd 11 min shes a loser 2
hawkins corners rd 13 min shes a loser 2
patrick rd 15 min shes a loser 2
llewellyn rd 16 min shes a loser 2
empey ave 18 min shes a loser 2
who were the known mob families in Rome back in... (May '13) 1 hr Cindy 149
Bouck St 16 hr Utica OD 27

Search the Rome Forum: